Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dont get the logic comparing us to the UK.. people in some countries get zero unemployment benefit, should we be like them, why stop at the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

How is the government giving workers €350 a week a bad thing? Would they rather have got €200 or whatever the normal dole payment is?

€350 is too low for them.
    The person who was paying 1000 a week in direct taxes, and was kicked out of work by the government restrictions deserve little bit more don't you agree?

Of course they should be on €200 if not working. As usual. And by the way, 200 a week as a dole payment is very generous by itself but that's for another discussion.
    I think everyone should be on the % of their previous contributions.

The person who I personally know was working just couple of weeks €10/h and now getting the same 350 and the person who was working for years and was on the generous wage still having the same money.

also I know the person who left the job voluntarily, and successfully applied for PUP and got the payment.

And another person from Baltic state on disability payment was living at home (in one of the Baltic states), and regularly travelling back to Ireland to get the GP assessment for disability and collect the money. and this person was also trying to apply for PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,321 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Why not give everyone 10,000 euro a week then. if money can just be printed and doesn't really have to be paid back. Just trying to make your mind think this through to its logical conclusion.

200 euro a week is more than twice the dole in the UK. But this discussion is not about the dole.

very few people require 10,000 a week to survive, if you do, you more than likely wont ever need welfare to survive. again, these loans will need to be paid back, but can be rolled over for very long periods, with little or no negative consequences, this is common practice by governments globally

again, as others have said, many welfare recipients in the uk require charitable donations in other to survive, as welfare simply isnt enough, some here require this also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

callaway92 wrote: »
    That's just not gonna happen.

The payment was so sudden that people applied and people can too easily play dumb here with how easy it is to begin receiving it.

In reality we all know there could've been more things involved (comms from employer etc)

When it stops it'll stop. People won't be chased up

The only realistic way to claw back some of this money would be for Revenue to deduct invalid PUP claims from next year's employee tax credits.

Should be relatively easy for Revenue to do as they process PUP claims and tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    once again, the ecb is providing loans at record low rates, some of which are negative, of course these principles will need to be repaid in time, but can be rolled over for a very long time, without any severe consequences, this is common practice.

To be clear, the ECB does not lend to Govts.

It never has.

It is not providing loans to Govts.

It is true that Govts can borrow at low rates, yes, but they are not borrowing from the ECB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

GocRh wrote: »
    The only realistic way to claw back some of this money would be for Revenue to deduct invalid PUP claims from next year's employee tax credits.

Should be relatively easy for Revenue to do as they process PUP claims and tax credits.

It’d be a brave politician that would tout that option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Why not give everyone 10,000 euro a week then. if money can just be printed and doesn't really have to be paid back. Just trying to make your mind think this through to its logical conclusion.

200 euro a week is more than twice the dole in the UK. But this discussion is not about the dole.
    Because spending is limited by inflation (not by arbitrary budget balances) - and a yearly injection of €2.5 trillion, is 7x Ireland's entire GDP - and would cause gigantic levels of inflation.

We can afford to give people any amount of money - that does not push inflation beyond target levels (between 2-4%).

Giving people money for nothing is wasteful, though - if we give people money to do useful work instead, then they can contribute to the economy and boost GDP way more than by just giving money for nothing - and we can afford to do that, up to the limit of inflation targets (which easily allows hiring all unemployed people).

KiKi III wrote: »
    It’d be a brave politician that would tout that option

They were collecting the names and DOB from passengers departing Dublin airport, and apparently have already identified a large number of foreign students that were returning to their country of origin and failed to notify Revenue so PUP would be suspended.

I hope there will be some enforcement, at the very least a partial enforcement. We will all have to pay the bill one day and solidarity should go both ways, those who were not entitled for the benefit need to pay back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Thousands of people abroad also claiming this. They previously lived in Ireland so still have PPD numbers.

thegills wrote: »
    Thousands of people abroad also claiming this. They previously lived in Ireland so still have PPD numbers.

Seems unlikely, it’s not being paid into bank accounts, you pick it up at the post office.

It beggars belief that Revenue didn't check claims against PAYE payments during 2020. With PAYE modernisation income tax / USC / PRSI collection is reported online by payroll on every salary payment.

Seems unlikely, it’s not being paid into bank accounts, you pick it up at the post office.

Not correct, PUP claims are paid to a nominated bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

KiKi III wrote:

I personally know of people abroad claiming this. Money is paid into bank accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

E350 from the party of fiscal prudence, fckuking morons. If the place wasnt a banana republic, welfare would be linked to your salary....

I personally know of people abroad claiming this. Money is paid into bank accounts

Well I know I have to go to the post office to get mine. Not long back in fact.

And I was on a different social welfare payment last year so they have my bank details on their system, would have been very straightforward to pay it into it.

350 a week is equivalent to 35 hours of labour at minimum wage. Pretty much a full weeks work for nothing.

Point me to another country which gave such a generous flat payment to those at the lower end of the income scale.

Always ask yourself why are we doing things differently.

America have also given a generous payment. https://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/blog/guide-covid-19-economic-stimulus-checks/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Well I know I have to go to the post office to get mine. Not long back in fact.

And I was on a different social welfare payment last year so they have my bank details on their system, would have been very straightforward to pay it into it.

That's SW , covid payment is most likely into bank account, no need for PSC card which most won't have. Wouldn't be enough notes in circulation anyway

That's SW , covid payment is most likely into bank account, no need for PSC card which most won't have. Wouldn't be enough notes in circulation anyway

I’m on the €350 Covid Payment. I have to pick it up at the post office every week. I picked up my most recent payment an hour ago.

• Advertisement

I’m on the €350 Covid Payment. I have to pick it up at the post office every week. I picked up my most recent payment an hour ago.

You should have given your bank details when applying. Much safer than having to queue up in a post office and handle money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Do you need a PSC to collect it?

Do you need a PSC to collect it?

Yup.

You should have given your bank details when applying. Much safer than having to queue up in a post office and handle money.

Can you read? My details are already on the system as I said above. When I filled out the form online they were already filled in for me. I was not given the option of having it paid into my account despite this.

Can you read? My details are already on the system as I said above. When I filled out the form online they were already filled in for me. I was not given the option of having it paid into my account despite this.

Yes, I can read. I just know that my husband and daughter both get theirs paid into their bank accounts.

Yes, I can read. I just know that my husband and daughter both get theirs paid into their bank accounts.

Lucky them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Idbatterim wrote: »
    E350 from the party of fiscal prudence, fckuking morons. If the place wasnt a banana republic, welfare would be linked to your salary....

Yet another statement from rear admiral ignoramus and his band of disgruntled goats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

na1 wrote: »
    €350 is too low for them.
    The person who was paying 1000 a week in direct taxes, and was kicked out of work by the government restrictions deserve little bit more don't you agree?

Pre covid the person on €1000 a week could look down on those getting less money and spit on their stupid gutter-snipe faces now though as everyone is getting equal amounts there notions of superiority are shattered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Kum8OUTuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcxs-CH4kG0

Pre covid the person on €1000 a week could look down on those getting less money and spit on their stupid gutter-snipe faces now though as everyone is getting equal amounts there notions of superiority are shattered.
    I don't understand how spitting on somebody relates to the income,
    but in this country high earners have much less rights than 'most vulnerable'.
    In addition to tax, they pay for every service which most vulnerable get for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

na1 wrote: »
    I don't understand how spitting on somebody relates to the income,
    but in this country high earners have much less rights than 'most vulnerable'.
    In addition to tax, they pay for every service which most vulnerable get for free.

Nonsense everybody in society is treated the same and held to the same high standard of behaviour.

7eb4c891536b121b9be73dbfd479c926.jpg

Advertisement