Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

OK here's my input. I was temporarily layed of at the start of April from my full time job and applied and got the Covid €350 payment.

For this help I am very grateful to the state for helping me out.

I'm back since this week so signed off my payment, back to normal hopefully in work, thank you very much.

But, in work there's a rather large group of individuals who are also back but are in no way signing off. Some are even boasting to trying as go as far as Christmas if it's available!

On this occasion I really do hope the state is on the ball here with the help of technology to immediately identify cases like these, as I'm sure there are more if all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Thespoofer wrote: »
    OK here's my input. I was temporarily layed of at the start of April from my full time job and applied and got the Covid €350 payment.

I'm back since this week so signed off my payment, back to normal hopefully in work, thank you very much.

But, in work there's a rather large group of individuals who are also back but are in no way signing off. Some are even boasting to trying as go as far as Christmas if it's available!

On this occasion I really do hope the state is on the ball here with the help of technology to immediately identify cases like these, as I'm sure there are more if all over.

Your username doesn't lend credibility to your anecdote tbh.

Your username doesn't lend credibility to your anecdote tbh.

Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It wouldn't be hard to spot. The pps number will go back into the prsi system as showing payments made by employer and employee. That's called welfare fraud, and I'd imagine in the circumstances a fairly hard view will be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

As soon as they are paid and the employer makes the payroll submission to Revenue the fact that they are claiming the PUP as well as working will be flagged and the DEASP will cease their payment.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be hard to spot. The pps number will go back into the prsi system as showing payments made by employer and employee. That's called welfare fraud, and I'd imagine in the circumstances a fairly hard view will be taken.

I actually thought the same. Speaking for myself I know at times rules can be stretched a little to make ends meet but as you say it's a step too far.

I said it to one of them today too that given people dieing of this virus, huge cost to the state etc etc,, I wouldn't fancy bringing that hassle to my door. His reply, ' nah be grand'.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Minister for finance sounding the alarm big time now - 30 BILLION deficit projected for this year!?

This 350 should be reduced down to 200 as a start ASAP
    30 billion isn't a massive amount when it's basically interest free borrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

30 billion isn't a massive amount when it's basically interest free borrowing.

It’s a massive amount to lump onto the national debt in such a short time, really bad. It isn’t interest free and will add at least 10% to the annual debt servicing costs meaning less money for health, education, welfare, disability sector, infrastructure and all other public spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

GSBellew wrote: »
    As soon as they are paid and the employer makes the payroll submission to Revenue the fact that they are claiming the PUP as well as working will be flagged and the DEASP will cease their payment.

Probably not the departments data share but not in real time like that. Like i said when prsi is paid against that employees pps number the dsp will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

road_high wrote: »
    It’s a massive amount to lump onto the national debt in such a short time, really bad. It isn’t interest free and will add at least 10% to the annual debt servicing costs meaning less money for health, education, welfare, disability sector, infrastructure and all other public spending.

It will be an issue if there's no debt writedowns down the line, albeit a manageable issue.
    However the global economy is set to be in such a mess that levels of debt writedowns and/or further restructuring of debt are almost a certainty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

road_high wrote: »
    I grew up in the bad times in the 80's there was people on trolleys in hospitals . We were one of the richest countries in the world during the "celtic tiger" there was people on trolleys and waiting lists 3rd World countries would be embarrassed about. This country has always had money and still does. It's the mismanagement of money that been our downfall for generations. Irish people are **** at budgeting from government level to the guys saving for retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Report them simple as that I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I grew up in the bad times in the 80's there was people on trolleys in hospitals . We were one of the richest countries in the world during the "celtic tiger" there was people on trolleys and waiting lists 3rd World countries would be embarrassed about. This country has always had money and still does. It's the mismanagement of money that been our downfall for generations. Irish people are **** at budgeting from government level to the guys saving for retirement.

Because we vote in incompetence into the dail. Politicians have learned that it fare easier move the chairs on the deck rather than fix the leak because their never rewarded for taking the difficult path, who’s fault is that theirs or ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Interesting report in the Irish Times today. Perhaps explains why Tony’s approval numbers are so high.

A significant minority of people in receipt of the €350 pandemic unemployment payment were paid less than €300 a week before the payment was introduced, a Government report has said, as questions continue about the future of the payment.The report, compiled by the Department of Business, raises concerns about “significant disincentive effects associated with the pandemic unemployment payment with 38 per cent of recipients previously earning less than €300 per week”.
    With almost 600,000 people receiving the special payment, it means that over 200,000 people are better off unemployed than they were while working. That number includes many people who were working part-time in the hospitality industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

Just bravado, if they back in work & getting paid then revenue will know. Public servants get a lot of stick but revenue on the ball in fairness, so the fraudsters will be caught red handed. Some bunch of idiots you work with!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

"Over 200,000 earning more on Covid-19 unemployment payment
    Over a third of recipients were paid less than €300 a week before payment was introduced"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/over-200-000-earning-more-on-covid-19-unemployment-payment-1.4258634

Just absurd. There's no incentive for over 200k people to go back to the job market, and those who were on job seekers allowance only get 203 EUR per week. Completely dysfunctional.
    And it seems the government will extend covid payments into summer and leave the decision to the new government.
    Those of us who do work will be fuc*** on the next budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Can’t believe a student who was working part time a couple a hours a week gets 350 to do nothing, will they be taxed in future or anything

I don’t work in summer or get paid but back to work in September and normally sign on will I get this 350 I don’t think so

catrat12 wrote: »
    Can’t believe a student who was working part time a couple a hours a week gets 350 to do nothing, will they be taxed in future or anything

I don’t work in summer or get paid but back to work in September and normally sign on will I get this 350 I don’t think so

You can add to that list a few thousand of non-EU students that under normal circumstances wouldn't be eligible for any welfare benefits. Everyone is on the dole now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Minister for finance sounding the alarm big time now - 30 BILLION deficit projected for this year!?

This 350 should be reduced down to 200 as a start ASAP

30 billion isnt that bad tbh. Was worried it would be a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

catrat12 wrote: »

So because you feel wronged, full of self pity over something not working out 100% fair then the entire economy should have been sacrificed.

There is more to this than you and some poxy student.

Why don't you work in the summer?

Your very typical of the type of yoke against the 350 payment.

• Advertisement

30 billion isnt that bad tbh. Was worried it would be a lot higher.

They want an approach that will have it at 50bn and no hope of recovery next year.

That's being decisive.

The cost of borrowing is so small at the moment that the burden is not the same. Certainly cheaper than letting demand completely collapse in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I was chatting to a few lads heading to work who said they were stopped at check points in the morning and asked for pps number by revenue officers, also asking if they had cancelled covid payments. Anyone else come across this.

GocRh wrote: »
    Over a third of recipients were paid less than €300 a week before payment was introduced"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/over-200-000-earning-more-on-covid-19-unemployment-payment-1.4258634

Just absurd. There's no incentive for over 200k people to go back to the job market, and those who were on job seekers allowance only get 203 EUR per week. Completely dysfunctional.
    And it seems the government will extend covid payments into summer and leave the decision to the new government.

Or you'll still be working thanks to the Covid19 payment.

Is it that hard to stop thinking the world revolves around you?

Danzy wrote: »
    Or you'll still be working thanks to the Covid19 payment.

Is it that hard to stop thinking the world revolves around you?

What makes you think the world revolves around me???
    Welfare benefits should be proportional to one's wages. No one should be better off by not working and living on the dole.
    The government had plenty of time to adjust benefits by now. Yes, back in March there was no alternative, but we're almost in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

GocRh wrote: »

It's pretty sad that people get so upset over some people on the lowest incomes getting a little bit more income during a crisis than they did before

The state is going to end up paying tens of billions to keep the economy afloat, a tiny percentage of that will go to these low paid workers who end up spending it in the actual economy when this is all over instead of using it to buy up property and land in fire-sales like all our illustrious 'elites' will end up doing to capitalise on the misery and loss caused by people losing their jobs and not able to afford rent in a depressed economy

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

It should been done a bit better IMO pay the part timers what they were actually making in a week not just give them 350 even if they were making 150 a week

Danzy wrote: »
    So because you feel wronged, full of self pity over something not working out 100% fair then the entire economy should have been sacrificed.

There is more to this than you and some poxy student.

Why don't you work in the summer?

Your very typical of the type of yoke against the 350 payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

And fg warned about sf being a danger to the economy. Fg are morons, an outrageous marginal rate of tax, ridiculous higher vat rate. Welfare wonderland....

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Interesting report in the Irish Times today. Perhaps explains why Tony’s approval numbers are so high.

A significant minority of people in receipt of the €350 pandemic unemployment payment were paid less than €300 a week before the payment was introduced, a Government report has said, as questions continue about the future of the payment.The report, compiled by the Department of Business, raises concerns about “significant disincentive effects associated with the pandemic unemployment payment with 38 per cent of recipients previously earning less than €300 per week”.
    With almost 600,000 people receiving the special payment, it means that over 200,000 people are better off unemployed than they were while working. That number includes many people who were working part-time in the hospitality industry.

38%?! Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Irish begrudgery in its finest form here. I would rather pay someone a few bob more than were on before than pay them little to nothing so they have to beg or resort to crime like we see in Italy.

I would hope the majority would use the extra money wisely to improve their situation in some way, who knows it could changes some people's lives for the better. A few extra weeks is no harm with a staged drop to normal benefit levels, what is a extra billion or two in the grand scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

krissovo wrote: »
    Irish begrudgery in its finest form here. I would rather pay someone a few bob more than were on before than pay them little to nothing so they have to beg or resort to crime like we see in Italy.

I would hope the majority would use the extra money wisely to improve their situation in some way, who knows it could changes some people's lives for the better. A few extra weeks is no harm with a staged drop to normal benefit levels, what is a extra billion or two in the grand scheme of things.

Because the young people getting about half this amount, were going to go on a crime spree if getting the same amount for doing nothing ?

Advertisement