Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't begrudge them 350.00 for a few months let them enjoy the time

because its not going to be pretty for the next few years for them money wise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

SmokyMo wrote: »
    So why is it a problem if someone for whom 100e is a lot of money gets it?

This thread is full of salty people mad at the peasants receiving crumbs.

Who I find is most annoyed are the long term SW recipients who resent these “blow ins” getting not only getting a piece of the action but more then them, and are a bit worried about cuts to all the payments in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

splinter65 wrote: »
    Who I find is most annoyed are the long term SW recipients who resent these “blow ins” getting not only getting a piece of the action but more then them, and are a bit worried about cuts to all the payments in the long term.

This is very true.

People are mad at the rain because they didn't bring umbrella

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

People seem to be acting like everyone is getting €350 and they have no outgoings.
    I know people getting the payment and they still have huge business overheads they have to cover. €350 doesn't come close for a lot of them.
    But it's helping them to keep their heads above water, rather than having to go completely out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Effects wrote: »
    People seem to be acting like everyone is getting €350 and they have no outgoings.
    I know people getting the payment and they still have huge business overheads they have to cover. €350 doesn't come close for a lot of them.
    But it's helping them to keep their heads above water, rather than having to go completely out of business.

You're confusing businesses with employees. The 350 is for employees. We're not talking about business stimulus or help here, that's another story entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

The real scandal here is that so many were earning so little for their work and that employers were getting away with paying people peanuts and the blueshirts and their ilk are so stupid they can't see how their bleating about the €350 has actually brought attention on that subject.

I actually agree that nobody should be better off not working but you achieve that by increasing the salaries of those in work not cutting the entitlements of those out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Press gang them into work for their social welfare entitlement. There'd be war ! :pac:
    :-) My employer press gangs the employees to work for their pay too!
    The humanity!

Seriously though we have to get out of this soon... the people who aren't coping well are really starting to act out. Dun laoire pier had some interesting behaviour and couples arguing last weekend.

You're confusing businesses with employees. The 350 is for employees. We're not talking about business stimulus or help here, that's another story entirely.

So when Government gives money out to business(who sole objective is to make profit) it's a stimulus or help?? but not when it gives money to people eh?? Why should should business take precedence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

O.P naively thinks this 350 eur will be "free" money, it will no doubt be clawed back over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭spurshero

I was on a good bit more then 350 . Bit I’m grateful to get it while I await going back to work . So what if somebody was on less then 350 and is now getting 350 . This payment will be gone by august . If people can be helped get through it till then great . We bailed out bankers no harm to look after ordinary working people during the crisis . I know people that haven’t worked a day in there lives and never will either . There the people anger should aimed at . When u factor in rent allowance medical care etc they will cost the state more then 350 every week they live . This payment is short term for people who were employed at time it started . It’s for a couple of months and for most people it will be a fraction of the tax they have already paid since they started working .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Scoundrel wrote: »
    The real scandal here is that so many were earning so little for their work and that employers were getting away with paying people peanuts and the blueshirts and their ilk are so stupid they can't see how their bleating about the €350 has actually brought attention on that subject.

I actually agree that nobody should be better off not working but you achieve that by increasing the salaries of those in work not cutting the entitlements of those out of work.

You earn what the market pays based on your skills set. Not what you'd like to be paid or what Paul Murphy says you should be paid.
    If you want to earn more retrain and upskill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

catrat12 wrote: »
    Can’t believe a student who was working part time a couple a hours a week gets 350 to do nothing, will they be taxed in future or anything

I don’t work in summer or get paid but back to work in September and normally sign on will I get this 350 I don’t think so

People need to learn how PRSI contributions are made. Stamps are nothing to do with what you earn.

GocRh wrote: »
    "Over 200,000 earning more on Covid-19 unemployment payment
    Over a third of recipients were paid less than €300 a week before payment was introduced"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/over-200-000-earning-more-on-covid-19-unemployment-payment-1.4258634

Just absurd. There's no incentive for over 200k people to go back to the job market, and those who were on job seekers allowance only get 203 EUR per week. Completely dysfunctional.
    And it seems the government will extend covid payments into summer and leave the decision to the new government.
    Those of us who do work will be fuc*** on the next budget.

Could you live on €300 a week.

You can add to that list a few thousand of non-EU students that under normal circumstances wouldn't be eligible for any welfare benefits. Everyone is on the dole now.

The rule is if your job was axed due to covid you get the payment regardless of who you are where from or what you smell like.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Scoundrel wrote: »

Grand. You start a business and pay your employees 20 euro an hour when the going rate is 10 euros. See how long you stay in business.

Danzy wrote: »
    So because you feel wronged, full of self pity over something not working out 100% fair then the entire economy should have been sacrificed.

There is more to this than you and some poxy student.

Why don't you work in the summer?

Your very typical of the type of yoke against the 350 payment.

Just remember who will be paying for your pension and the adult nappies you claim for.

What makes you think the world revolves around me???
    Welfare benefits should be proportional to one's wages. No one should be better off by not working and living on the dole.
    The government had plenty of time to adjust benefits by now. Yes, back in March there was no alternative, but we're almost in June.

1. You like so many others seem to have no clue how benefits work, there nothing to do with how big your wages are.

Under your regime Bono would be getting millions

catrat12 wrote: »
    It should been done a bit better IMO pay the part timers what they were actually making in a week not just give them 350 even if they were making 150 a week

Begrudger!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    And fg warned about sf being a danger to the economy. Fg are morons, an outrageous marginal rate of tax, ridiculous higher vat rate. Welfare wonderland....

Sure you probably voted them back in.

It's unfortunate to hear on the radio today that the govt. are back-tracking a bit on the payment and it comes across to me that they sound genuinely annoyed that they may have overpaid some people more than they would normally get at work, and are already putting plans in place to remove or reduce the payment.

I'm, generally speaking, a FG supporter. But have they got no idea how to cost things? They repeatedly make a mess of this aspect of things (childrens hospital, broadband etc.). They costed out the 350 per week, and yet somehow, they seem surprised at what it's costing them now? I don't get it.

Regardless, I still think the payment should exist, in it's €350 form, until phase 5. If I started back to work on monday, but the poster above me doesn't start back til August 10th, it's neither of our faults. It's a govt. instruction and neither of us should be punished for working in different areas.

The rate at which people will be claiming the 350 payment will reduce as the weeks roll by and the phases get introduced, as more and more people will be heading back to work anyway.

Seems very unfair on those that worked in Cafes and Pubs that they'll get reduced payments, even though it's the Govt. deciding what will open and when. :o

Besides, they'll be crying out for the general public to spend, spend, spend in a couple of months. A few extra euro in people's pockets will pay back a disproportionate amount to the economy in time, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah it is but its only temporary until Dr Tony can tell the 200,000 they can work again.

Where was the sense paying people more than they were earning in their job to do nothing?

Begrudger!

road_high wrote: »
    You earn what the market pays based on your skills set. Not what you'd like to be paid or what Paul Murphy says you should be paid.
    If you want to earn more retrain and upskill.

If you actually believe that's how the world works I really feel sorry for you

Grand. You start a business and pay your employees 20 euro an hour when the going rate is 10 euros. See how long you stay in business.

If I do start a business I'll make sure to apply for all subsidies and help and free money I can get off the government sure how could I not make a profit?

Isn't one of the student visa conditions the ability to demonstrate enough savings to support yourself?
    I seem to recall that a deposit in an irish bank account of a few thousand euros was required?
    Some international students probably didn't even dip into their savings before claiming the dole.

Your one of those people who wants rid of all the foreigners here but are happy enough to go to America and work illegally.

This payment is way too high. It’s lunacy at the moment.

I understand it was rushed in as an emergency measure and if I remember rightly opposition parties screamed for it to be increased to 350.

In hindsight this is too high. Needs to be brought down by at least 100 for the next 6 weeks then further reduced.

What about the people who cant yet go back to work whatever their profession.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Part time workers definitely should be on JSA when the 12 weeks are up .
    Even to bring the 350 down to 300 for a further 6 weeks would make a significant reduction in cost and still give people a good bit more than the standard dole .

Your not a part time worker then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

What about the people who cant yet go back to work whatever their profession.

They should go and work in dunnes or something, that's the usual response to that question. It's pathetic.

splinter65 wrote: »
    So...a girl working in a hotel bar usually could just walk into SW and sit down at a computer and start processing SW claims?!? She wouldn’t need any training or anything like that I suppose.

Thats what TCOs do

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

it ll be interesting to see how the banking sector reacts when this 350 is scaled back and jobs dont really turn up!

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    It's not exploitation......... if you worked 20 hours a week at €12/hour and your place of work was closed you were entitled to the Covid19 €350 payment........ no doubt some folk claimed it who weren't at all entitled to it but of the 40% this topic refers to I'd imagine most of them were entitled to claim it.

And if thy were on less beforehand then the difference probably was of great help to them over the last 2 or so months.
    Sean.3516 wrote: »
    I don’t deny that they’ll welcome the extra money. The question was about need.

But I didn't say they needed it, I said it was probably of great help.
    I'd find a few extra hundred a month of great help also even though I don't really need it.
    The less you earn, the more helpful more money is to you by the way, that's basic enough stuff, no?

Advertisement