Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If people refuse to return to work, then they’re no longer entitled to the emergency payment.

Has the employer to report the employee for not returning to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Scoundrel wrote: »
    If you actually believe that's how the world works I really feel sorry for you

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps son, didnt you know we live in a meritocracy? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

nothing to worry about next budget, sure wont the economy be stimulated to fook with the 350 per week?

Far more than if all the money was just given to a few banks like 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A situation which is going to cost us a fortune and should have been fixed as soon as possible.
    And no, I don't think the civil disobedience argument holds up either.

How much is it realistically going to cost? Remember , youre not multiplying the number of people getting it by €350. Its the number of people that were earning under €350 times €147 (if the dole is still €203).

What would huge amount of debt defaulters and people not being able to afford to pay bills have cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Laura99

is_that_so wrote: »
    That sounds unlikely as it's taxable income, not welfare.

Welfare is taxable income. Your SRCOP is reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

road_high wrote: »
    You earn what the market pays based on your skills set. Not what you'd like to be paid or what Paul Murphy says you should be paid.
    If you want to earn more retrain and upskill.

Or get another job or get a second job or work more hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Can the definition of 'Temporary' be put as a sticky on this thread, as neither the OP or several others understand the meaning and it becomes tiresome to have to explain it repeatedly as if addressing toddlers.

1. You like so many others seem to have no clue how benefits work, there nothing to do with how big your wages are.

Under your regime Bono would be getting millions

It wouldn’t be so bad if people would admit that they don’t know anything about SW but no, they’ll insist that they know for a fact their brothers girlfriends cousin is getting 20 million €s a week on the dole and an allowance for dog food because he’s from Malawi.

Scoundrel wrote: »
    If you actually believe that's how the world works I really feel sorry for you

Explain how you think it works. Boy leaves school at 16.Obviously no LC. Works for €9 per hour cash in hand every night in a chipper. Chipper closes when he’s 19. He signs on for JSA. What happens next?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

SmokyMo wrote:
    Also I find it pretty hard to understand why would anyone be angry at people getting a merely 100e extra than they should. It is literally peanuts in today's world.

A mere 20 million a week. Peanuts indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It was about €2bn extra for the period from march to june 1st.
    For all the lefties complaining about the childrens hospital overrun, it's funny how different you react when there's "free" money handed to you.

This is unaffordable. Our total DSP bill in a normal year is 20bn and that covers the dole, pensions, lone parents, hap, fis etc. This 350quid nonsense is going to be super expensive.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Explain how you think it works. Boy leaves school at 16.Obviously no LC. Works for €9 per hour cash in hand every night in a chipper. Chipper closes when he’s 19. He signs on for JSA. What happens next?

He's probably on JSA already as hes working cash in hand. They usually are.
    If not, he will be given the means test for JSA. As you know.

We have a welfare culture here due to our unquestioned handouts. The road from school direct to the dole office without ever having or thinking of having a job, is a road well trodden in certain areas in Ireland.

Having previous experience working as a TCO processing fresh Jobseekers claims, it would have been a bottleneck of bureaucratic backlogs and clerical errors trying to means tests an exceptional amount of simultaneous claimants "entitlement" to the pandemic payment of 350 euro. The correct course was taken in paying everyone a blanket amount which more importantly provided a much needed cash injection into the national economy. The cost of doing things traditionally would have been far greater, worry about the costs with extra taxes down the road.

Having previous experience working as a TCO processing fresh Jobseekers claims, it would have been a bottleneck of bureaucratic backlogs and clerical errors trying to means tests an exceptional amount of simultaneous claimants "entitlement" to the pandemic payment of 350 euro. The correct course was taken in paying everyone a blanket amount which more importantly provided a much needed cash injection into the national economy. The cost of doing things traditionally would have been far greater, worry about the costs with extra taxes down the road.
    I suspect these claims will be retrospectively reviewed, and anyone found to be abusing, the money will be taken back.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Except, here's the kicker. All the left parties in the Dail such as Labour, SF, SocDems etc are demanding the 350 be maintained. As FG is very much a minority government, they may need to give into those lefty parties to get anything passed.

Temporary my backside.

Just like the USC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

A teenager has been arrested for fraudulently claiming COVID-19 payments

Gardaí say the suspect was receiving six separate pandemic payments into a bank account, in what's believed to be fake names

He was arrested following a search at a house in Mullingar, #Westmeath today

redarmy wrote: »

Gardaí say the suspect was receiving six separate pandemic payments into a bank account, in what's believed to be fake names

Haha the mind boggles how he opened six claims without six pps numbers, forms of genuine photo i.d and proof of address, he must be a master forger.

redarmy wrote: »

Just goes to show that checks are being carried out.

I wonder where the counterfeit cash came from! https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/teen-arrested-after-fraudulently-claiming-covid-19-payments-1000979.html

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2020/0521/1139865-arrest-covid-payments/

Well at least it shows they are investgating suspected fraudulant claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Just goes to show that checks are being carried out.

I wonder where the counterfeit cash came from! https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/teen-arrested-after-fraudulently-claiming-covid-19-payments-1000979.html

He may be from an Irish ethnic group that are very familiar with welfare forms and normally intimidate staff into just processing claims for a quite life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

LuasSimon wrote: »
    He may be from an Irish ethnic group that are very familiar with welfare forms and normally intimidate staff into just processing claims for a quite life

Beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

splinter65 wrote: »

Ya he is gaming the system alright, keep an eye on the sky lad in case it falls in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

LuasSimon wrote: »

“So your a racist now father”

A cool 14700 euro by my estimates, "How does a tenner a week back sound boss?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

A cool 14700 euro by my estimates, "How does a tenner a week back sound boss?"

This Romanian scammer was claiming 6 payments, a great little country!
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/05/08/news/irish-news/romanian-crime-gang-corona-fraud/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

GSBellew wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2020/0521/1139865-arrest-covid-payments/

Well at least it shows they are investgating suspected fraudulant claims.

I could have a guess at a surname

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I could have a guess at a surname

6 Surnames.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The 350 was always too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

It’s being extended to August and then reduced and phased out gradually, will be quite the bill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

pm1977x wrote: »
    It’s being extended to August and then reduced and phased out gradually, will be quite the bill!

Giving money to people who need it in a crises. Better than bailing out banks an bond holders. I don't like FG but fair play to them.

Advertisement