Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

It’s classed as taxable income.

Or in other cases where the recipients are in receipt of another welfare payment, they’re not entitled to Covid. It’s also been said that anyone not earning €350 before the lockdown may have to repay the difference.

Can't see this ever happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

can anyone explain why people in receipt of the covid subsidy are being overpaid and will have to keep a portion of it to pay revenue back later?

i dont understand it

The revenue seem to be taking the view that since you can only get the covid payment if your job was affected, there are others, the €350p/w is to taken as pay from employment and not welfare.

So there Going to add up what you earned pre-and post Covid and tax hit accordingly.

Everyone has a tax free allowance of €3500 so if you’ve been on the covid payment from the start then this has been used so in theory anything above this is liable for Tax @20% and then anything above your rate band is taxed at 40%.

I wouldn’t really worry about it as there not much one can do at this stage it will depend how long this goes on plus you may be entitled to a tax refund in the last four years which may counter any outstandings.

Or in other cases where the recipients are in receipt of another welfare payment, they’re not entitled to Covid. It’s also been said that anyone not earning €350 before the lockdown may have to repay the difference.

Your scare mongering there based on here say. Everyone who works has a tax free allowance and rate band.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Repaying the difference will never happen as would require legislation that would have to be retrospectively applied. Never stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

thanks for the replies, i kind of understand it now (not really) but why if its taxable income is it not taxed there and then rather than hitting people with a big bill just as they emerge out if this? i know people who are "paying" minus Net Tax on the Deductions section of their payslip, insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

thanks for the replies, i kind of understand it now (not really) but why if its taxable income is it not taxed there and then rather than hitting people with a big bill just as they emerge out if this? i know people who are "paying" minus Net Tax on the Deductions section of their payslip, insanity.

Chances are that it will be deducted through tax credits over a number of years so won't be a big bill there that someone would have to clear in January

They don’t have the infrastructure to do it. You pay PAYE normally through your employer. In this case the covid is being plaid by social welfare,

Your scare mongering there based on here say. Everyone who works has a tax free allowance and rate band.

No scaremongering. I never mentioned how much tax, as everyone in employment has, as you pointed out, an allowance according to their circumstances and a rate band. I’m sure that it’ll be worked into the PAYE system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

For the same reason people previously only working part time and earning less than €350 received the full €350 pandemic payment. With administration costs and delays it would very quickly have turned disastrous. They needed something that could be rolled out rapidly and without hiccups.
    Taxing people there and then would mean having to continue each employer to get details for each employee claiming the payment to work out how much tax they should be paying as it would be different depending on how much the person had earned so far this year.

yes i get it now. will the people getting 350 per week also be taxed at a later date?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

yes i get it now. will the people getting 350 per week also be taxed at a later date?

They will but remember this €350 at 20% tax liability €70. Tax credit is €65 ( roughly) taxed owed by individual €5 multiply by what ever number of weeks the individual claims it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

For those who have applied for the payment online, how long did it take for you to receive it? I've applied for it but don't have a verified account on the site. I read that if the account is verified you will receive the payment quicker, but when I enter some details, I get a message saying that I will need a Public Services Card to complete verification :confused:

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    For those who have applied for the payment online, how long did it take for you to receive it? I've applied for it but don't have a verified account on the site. I read that if the account is verified you will receive the payment quicker, but when I enter some details, I get a message saying that I will need a Public Services Card to complete verification :confused:

Then you need download the form and apply with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I applied on a Friday and got it three days later and that's without a verified account!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Thanks guys - I applied for it on Friday but haven’t heard anything yet. I received a notification saying that my application was successfully submitted and is awaiting review from an officer

Thanks guys - I applied for it on Friday but haven’t heard anything yet. I received a notification saying that my application was successfully submitted and is awaiting review from an officer

You don’t get a notification to say approved. Assuming that it’s going into your bank account, just keep an eye on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There’s not going to be a big tax bill due.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Chances are that it will be deducted through tax credits over a number of years so won't be a big bill there that someone would have to clear in January

That was never going to happen, cost more to collect , credits will betweaked slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I see Pat Mcdonagh of Supermacs giving out that many of his staff aren’t inclined to comeback to their minimum wage jobs with him . It’s amazing how hugely profitable companies like Pat McDonaghs have to pay nearly all their staff minimum wage .
    Used always admire him taking on the travellers staging accidents on his premises but it turns out he’s another Larry Goodman .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I see Pat Mcdonagh of Supermacs giving out that many of his staff aren’t inclined to comeback to their minimum wage jobs with him . It’s amazing how hugely profitable companies like Pat McDonaghs have to pay nearly all their staff minimum wage .
    Used always admire him taking on the travellers staging accidents on his premises but it turns out he’s another Larry Goodman .
    Not sure why he would be annoyed. They'll get knocked off PUP quickly if their jobs are now available again. Otherwise it'll be JSB or JSA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Pat mc donagh should be ashamed of himself,i wouldnt be surprised if he was on the pup. I know of 2 very well off builders and publican,who applied and got this payment.Why isnt he calling for restrospective means testing of the self employed for example.He is a typical employer,take advantage for 9 euro an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mosii wrote: »
    Pat mc donagh should be ashamed of himself,i wouldnt be surprised if he was on the pup. I know of 2 very well off builders and publican,who applied and got this payment.Why isnt he calling for restrospective means testing of the self employed for example.He is a typical employer,take advantage for 9 euro an hour.
    It's not welfare, it goes into the column marked taxable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

But he is a cute hoor ....
    Sponsors galway hurling and football teams so in a lot of galway people's eyes he can do no wrong .
    A lot of his " sponsorship " was giving free meals to galways under age teams .
    Feed them with crap food pat and make them feel your doing them a favour .

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's not welfare, it goes into the column marked taxable income.

And your point?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

LuasSimon wrote: »

Seemed to be moaning at the students he was giving a few hours to at the weekend, schools out for summer they'll be expecting 39 hours now. Very bad PR by McDonagh, be interesting what the Galway county board decide.

Seemed to be moaning at the students he was giving a few hours to at the weekend, schools out for summer they'll be expecting 39 hours now. Very bad PR by McDonagh, be interesting what the Galway county board decide.

Once bought stay bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

Wait, so if I were doing one day a week in a shop then I'd get the 350 and if my friend was doing a full week, they'd also get 350? Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yeah another total scumbag takes money out of the pathetic wages he pays for uniform and meals as well but some on here will tell you he's a 'wealth creator' or an 'entrepreneur' when in reality he's just an exploiter of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wait, so if I were doing one day a week in a shop then I'd get the 350 and if my friend was doing a full week, they'd also get 350? Madness
    Thats why 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

• Advertisement

the state should run fast food joints!

Advertisement