Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not really, ours will be treated as part of taxable income. Once this ends people will return to work or go on benefits.

I dont understand this, so the government would recoup between 20-50% of the benefit not 100% right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I dont understand this, so the government would recoup between 20-50% of the benefit not 100% right?
    No, not that much. It is classified as income but for most people it'll probably have little to no effect on account of the personal monthly tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Self employed people can only claim if they have ceased trading during the period. Many will have kept working albeit at a reduced pace and so get nothing.

I'd also make the point that the "wealthy" self employed are likely to have paid into the system via their taxes for years, so claiming a welfare payment due to adverse economic circumstances is wholly justified based on their previous earnings.

I actually dont mind the fact the self employed are getting the payment,my point is ,the likes of mcdonagh and other employers and indeed individuals on this site,are constantly attacking individuals working 20 or so hours a week,(and who are clearly only getting by),for getiing the full 350,while not a mention of the very wealthy self employed,who are getting this payment.As i said already,i know a builder ,who has 2 large houses and whose wife is working, and is very well off,and he got this payment.I also know a publican,whose wife is also getting the payment,where is the fairness in these two examples.

mosii wrote: »
    I actually dont mind the fact the self employed are getting the payment,my point is ,the likes of mcdonagh and other employers and indeed individuals on this site,are constantly attacking individuals working 20 or so hours a week,(and who are clearly only getting by),for getiing the full 350,while not a mention of the very wealthy self employed,who are getting this payment.As i said already,i know a builder ,who has 2 large houses and whose wife is working, and is very well off,and he got this payment.I also know a publican,whose wife is also getting the payment,where is the fairness in these two examples.

Nothing wrong with either in your examples getting the payment. It was a flat rate emergency payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Nothing wrong with either in your examples getting the payment. It was a flat rate emergency payment.

I agree,and also nothing wrong withe the young lad/girl working in a chipper getting it either.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Self employed people can only claim if they have ceased trading during the period. Many will have kept working albeit at a reduced pace and so get nothing.

I'd also make the point that the "wealthy" self employed are likely to have paid into the system via their taxes for years, so claiming a welfare payment due to adverse economic circumstances is wholly justified based on their previous earnings.

That's not true.

If you're self employed and your turnover is down 25% you can claim it.

I know of self employed people coming to an arrangement with clients to date their invoices before this started so it makes their turnover look down but while claiming the payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Pat McDonagh seems to have made Supermacs a minimum wage employment, are all the others ie McDonalds & Burger King the same .

These all have VERY profitable operations could they not pay staff a reasonable amount and still make loads ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Pat McDonagh seems to have made Supermacs a minimum wage employment, are all the others ie McDonalds & Burger King the same .

These all have VERY profitable operations could they not pay staff a reasonable amount and still make loads ??

Why would they when there is loads of people who will take the jobs at minimum wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

I know of people working/living in Norway in receipt of the C-19 payment. They haven't lived in Ireland for years and it still got processed and lodged to Irish account every week.

There is something seriously wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

StefanFal wrote: »
    I know of people working/living in Norway in receipt of the C-19 payment. They haven't lived in Ireland for years and it still got processed and lodged to Irish account every week.

There is something seriously wrong here.

Report them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I see Pat Mcdonagh of Supermacs giving out that many of his staff aren’t inclined to comeback to their minimum wage jobs with him . It’s amazing how hugely profitable companies like Pat McDonaghs have to pay nearly all their staff minimum wage .
    Used always admire him taking on the travellers staging accidents on his premises but it turns out he’s another Larry Goodman .

It’s minimum wage because the role is not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It's the same as wage, first €300 is roughly tax free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

the state should run fast food joints!

You'd have to remove "fast" from the title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Jim Root wrote: »

Where do you stop with it’s not rocket science ? Teaching 5 or 6 years olds is hardly rocket science ?... been an accountant imputing numbers into sage is hardly rocket science ?
    Will we all be on minimum wage soon ? Bar Larry Goodman , JP and Pat McDonagh who can have a swimming pool full of 500 euro notes ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Jim Root wrote: »

It's not rocket science but they should be paid a lot more, imagine the **** they have to put up with on a daily basis from absolute scum who look down their nose at them. And that's before even mentioning the drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It's not rocket science but they should be paid a lot more, imagine the **** they have to put up with on a daily basis from absolute scum who look down their nose at them. And that's before even mentioning the drunks.

Their remuneration matches their skills. Nurses and doctors and paramedics put up with the same scum but get paid multiples of minimum wage because of their skills. Nothing to stop anyone working in Supermac’s from retraining to get a better paid job. Lots of Supermacs staff are actually only working there while they train separately for a better paid job.
    Do you think a guy frying chips in supermacs should be paid the same as a doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

splinter65 wrote: »
    Their remuneration matches their skills. Nurses and doctors and paramedics put up with the same scum but get paid multiples of minimum wage because of their skills. Nothing to stop anyone working in Supermac’s from retraining to get a better paid job. Lots of Supermacs staff are actually only working there while they train separately for a better paid job.
    Do you think a guy frying chips in supermacs should be paid the same as a doctor?

Could you point out where I said they should be paid the same as a doctor?

They should be paid at least the equivalent of the Aldi/Lidl living wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Where do you stop with it’s not rocket science ? Teaching 5 or 6 years olds is hardly rocket science ?... been an accountant imputing numbers into sage is hardly rocket science ?
    Will we all be on minimum wage soon ? Bar Larry Goodman , JP and Pat McDonagh who can have a swimming pool full of 500 euro notes ??

Please don’t compare doing 4 to 6 years in college to be a teacher or 4 years in college plus plenty of exams afterwards to be an account to flipping ****ing burgers for a summer.

Please don’t compare doing 4 to 6 years in college to be a teacher or 4 years in college plus plenty of exams afterwards to be an account to flipping ****ing burgers for a summer.

Indeed only 1 job is deemed essential work by the government for the cv19 crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Indeed only 1 job is deemed essential work by the government for the cv19 crisis

The same government that cancels a leaving cert because they got bullied into it on twitter. LOL

• Advertisement

The same government that cancels a leaving cert because they got bullied into it on twitter. LOL

Meh....irrelevant really to topic at hand,

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Report them.

Report to whom? Unless the OP happens to know their PPS there's no way to investigate his claims.

The government should be doing its job and making sure that there's at least a PAYE tax payment lodged this year before approving claims.
    We're not supposed to be reporting people because the government has been irresponsible and incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Not everyone is in such a privileged position to be able to do that, or even have the mental bandwidth to do that, hence why poverty exists. Also, do you think that if everyone working minimum wage trained as a doctor, economist, or whatever, that there would be a job there for them? No. The majority of the work in this country is low paid work and that is here to stay no matter who goes to college, so you’re saying that those people deserve to be on the poverty line just for not going to college?

Let’s say everyone in SuperMacs, McDonald’s, Costa Coffee, etc. Suddenly have “better skills” tomorrow, then what? Nobody is there to do the majority of the work in Ireland, and there will be very few jobs available to actually use their skills, hence they HAVE to go back to their SuperMacs job and take minimum wage. It’s ridiculous argument that people can “better themselves” when people mention getting people off poverty wages in minimum wage jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

GocRh wrote: »
    Report to whom? Unless the OP happens to know their PPS there's no way to investigate his claims.

The government should be doing its job and making sure that there's at least a PAYE tax payment lodged this year before approving claims.
    We're not supposed to be reporting people because the government has been irresponsible and incompetent.

There is going to be a huge compliance project into both the Temporary Wage Subsidy Sceme and the Pandemic Unemployment Payment by both Revenue and Social Protection

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Tomrota wrote: »
    Not everyone is in such a privileged position to be able to do that, or even have the mental bandwidth to do that, hence why poverty exists. Also, do you think that if everyone working minimum wage trained as a doctor, economist, or whatever, that there would be a job there for them? No. The majority of the work in this country is low paid work and that is here to stay no matter who goes to college, so you’re saying that those people deserve to be on the poverty line just for not going to college?

Let’s say everyone in SuperMacs, McDonald’s, Costa Coffee, etc. Suddenly have “better skills” tomorrow, then what? Nobody is there to do the majority of the work in Ireland, and there will be very few jobs available to actually use their skills, hence they HAVE to go back to their SuperMacs job and take minimum wage. It’s ridiculous argument that people can “better themselves” when people mention getting people off poverty wages in minimum wage jobs.

You're missing one point - the economic pie can be expanded, it's not about splitting up the existing economic pie.

If everyone working in those McJobs you mentioned upskilled tomorrow, huge numbers of new businesses would be founded and those people would probably move into higher paid areas like plumbing or electrician, areas where labour is vitally needed. Our economic pie (GDP) becomes larger.

What would happen then is we would import thousands of foreign people to work in the McJobs, and the cycle starts over. They upskill, and expand the pie again.

But all along the McJob pays the same low rate, because it's a low skill job. It's the people who need to change, adapt, upskill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

You're missing one point - the economic pie can be expanded, it's not about splitting up the existing economic pie.

If everyone working in those McJobs you mentioned upskilled tomorrow, huge numbers of new businesses would be founded and those people would probably move into higher paid areas like plumbing or electrician, areas where labour is vitally needed. Our economic pie (GDP) becomes larger.

What would happen then is we would import thousands of foreign people to work in the McJobs, and the cycle starts over. They upskill, and expand the pie again.

But all along the McJob pays the same low rate, because it's a low skill job. It's the people who need to change, adapt, upskill etc.

Can’t see the plumbers being happy with all these newly skilled entrants into the profession coming along and undercutting their rates

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Jizique wrote: »
    Can’t see the plumbers being happy with all these newly skilled entrants into the profession coming along and undercutting their rates

If our economic pie (GDP) has expanded, there will be room for plenty more plumbers at the same rip off rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Training loads of new plumbers/electricians increases the supply of those skilled roles - but you need an equivalent increase in demand for those roles (e.g. through increased investment in public or private construction), otherwise there's a glut of those skilled workers, which pushes down wages for such workers in general.

The economic pie grows from the Demand side - not the Supply side.

The Job Guarantee happens to be one of the best ways for training up low wage workers into higher skilled roles - while also ensuring there is enough demand during economic downturns...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Could you point out where I said they should be paid the same as a doctor?

They should be paid at least the equivalent of the Aldi/Lidl living wage.

Aldi and Lidl can afford to pay that because they are international companies with limitless resources, Aldi and Lidl per shop wouldn’t have anything like the overheads Supermacs have, most Aldi and Lidl staff are full time permanent, most Supermacs staff are part time and temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

Aldi and Lidl can afford to pay that because they are international companies with limitless resources, Aldi and Lidl per shop wouldn’t have anything like the overheads Supermacs have, most Aldi and Lidl staff are full time permanent, most Supermacs staff are part time and temporary.

They could be paid the living wage, but then prices would have to rise and people would eat less of the rubbish food and might continue to eat at home.
    The fast food business model is based on low wages which border on exploitation. Of course, rents on Eyre Sq and O’Connell st are expensive too, leaving little scope for quality produce.

Advertisement