Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 350 a week was a catastrophic and costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

out of interest how much are they getting in the UK? is there a special covid payment over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Did you not have to provide a letter stating that they were being laid off over the Covid epidemic?

You do and those who keep saying otherwise are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

We haven't provided any letters to my knowledge yet but I believe that they will be looking for them. As far as I can see the payments were given to anyone that applied that also included foreign citizens who would not normally have the right to a social welfare payment so I think there is a big reckoning coming down the line. Obliviously tax will be due on the 350 and I would think that if you were only earning say 100 a week part time but are now on 350 then the difference will need to be paid back.

They won’t look for the difference back, it wasn’t a condition at the start of it so no politician is going to go down that road. That said in reality the amount of part timers getting it is relatively small I’d think and they are unlikely to be putting that money away so most of it will circle back into the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You know when a poster is making things up, when asked to provide links their reply: is lads they are widely available online & Im not doing your work for you. :)

to be fair, the world of economics is murky anyway, nobody really has a fcuking clue whats going on or whats gonna happen, but neoclassicals live on another planet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

fryup wrote:
    out of interest how much are they getting in the UK? is there a special covid payment over there?

Wasn't it pointed out in the Dail to SF that we get more in the south special payment compared to Northern Ireland. They opted to give more to businesses than workers in state aid I believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

salmocab wrote: »
    They won’t look for the difference back, it wasn’t a condition at the start of it so no politician is going to go down that road. That said in reality the amount of part timers getting it is relatively small I’d think and they are unlikely to be putting that money away so most of it will circle back into the economy.

I would think that every part timer in the country would be trying to get this payment. It would be much more lucrative than their job in many instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Akrasia wrote: »
    Do you use your masters in economics to work for loan sharks or vulture funds?

Have you ever heard of Keynes or did you waste your degree only reading nonsense like Hayek and Milton Friedman

The absolutely worst thing we could do now is to restrict the money supply and force people to borrow for day to day expenses. The 2008 crash was a liquidity crisis, we need the ECB and Irish Central Bank to flood the place with money to counteract the deflation we are facing, and I think it’s 1000 times better to bail out the ordinary workers than to do what the Yanks have gone and give trillions to the big corporations so they can buy their own shares back off the billionaires and hedge funds

Giving poor people an extra few hundred euros for a few weeks won’t break the economy. Deflation will.

In the global perspective, we also need to consider the impact this crisis will have on developing countries, they could be absolutely wiped out with debt after this, we need to very seriously look at a debt jubilee in the next few years

Of course you might disagree if you think the purpose of economic activity is to facilitate a tiny percentage of the population getting ludicrously wealthy at the expense of everyone else...

The best thing we could do for developing economies is to fix our own first. The reason they will suffer so much is because they’re heavily dependent on the export of commodities.

The best thing we could do for developing economies is to fix our own first. The reason they will suffer so much is because they’re heavily dependent on the export of commodities.

what do you mean by fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

We haven't provided any letters to my knowledge yet but I believe that they will be looking for them. As far as I can see the payments were given to anyone that applied that also included foreign citizens who would not normally have the right to a social welfare payment so I think there is a big reckoning coming down the line. Obliviously tax will be due on the 350 and I would think that if you were only earning say 100 a week part time but are now on 350 then the difference will need to be paid back.

No thats not the case dont people listen the media are banging this out for weeks now.

If you're earning a pitons from employment you will pay little or no tax because there are different tax bands. Normally social welfare isn't subject to income tax, paye,usc because your not working. For all those who got the €350 in loo of work being shutdown the Revenue will simply add this to your earnings from employment this year and tax it accordingly. Every paye worker has an allowance of €3500 for the year that they can earn before paying tax after this the bands kick in. So every body who earned more than this since the year began will pay tax, hw much then depends rate band. The students and part time people earning €9.50 ph will pay less, course you have to remember these people also pay vat on the air they breath.

People are confused now because in normal times the poverty trap works the opposite way. We may see the back of covid but the begrudgers thats a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would think that every part timer in the country would be trying to get this payment. It would be much more lucrative than their job in many instances.

Undoubtedly, I don’t think they should have been able to get it but as noted this had to be rushed in, in the grand scheme though so long as it’s closed off in a reasonable manner and time frame it won’t have cost that much with most of it being spent in the country anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Then that is the choice of the business. Not the employees.
    No doubt many businesses are running at a loss at the moment, especially shops having to take on extra staff to ensure social distancing. My local Tesco seems to have doubled its workforce. All tills manned and numerous workers on the floor filling orders for home delivery or click and collect.

Shops are taking in record profits. Everyone consumes more stuck at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Only for sheer good luck,could have easily been us in that situation

You forget European reaction to the banking crisis here.
    I remember a top level Euro bureaucrat stating a bomb would go off in Dublin not Frankfurt if we refused to pay the bondholders. Ireland got FA solidarity a decade ago.

Does it mean USC?? That’s temporary too isn’t it??

Again as I already stated the USC was to take money off people. It generated 3.5 billion for the state a year. This is a payment to people from the state, I can guarantee you it's temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Define fix? provide an example of a 'fixed' economy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

kippy wrote: »
    Define fix? provide an example of a 'fixed' economy.....

Over 14K posts,,, I really hope they are not all like this one ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It is indeed a costly mistake.

If this is to continue it should be reduced down to unemployment rate and leave it at that for another month then re assess.

This is number of part time workers in the economy who earned less than 350 a week pre-crisis. Publicly available information, you shouldn't have to ask. You should have looked it up yourself.

They are all now out of work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

US2 wrote: »
    Oh ya. Like USC was a temporary measure. We will have a new "temporary messaure" deducted from our wages when this is all over

USC tax is here to stay and will have to be ramped up as one of the ways of repaying our debts . The top rate of 8 % for any income over 70 K should be increased significantly, anyone earning over 70 k has capacity for further taxation . 8 % to 12% would be my guess of the top USC in the next budget .

LuasSimon wrote: »
    USC tax is here to stay and will have to be ramped up as one of the ways of repaying our debts . The top rate of 8 % for any income over 70 K should be increased significantly, anyone earning over 70 k has capacity for further taxation . 8 % to 12% would be my guess of the top USC in the next budget .

Are you earning over 70k a year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I'd reduce the handouts to the workshy, permanently unemployed before further taxing the hard working, productive people who contribute to society and the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No other country made people better off on welfare than when they had been working. 500,000 people are now better off taking the 350 and sitting on their backsides than they had been before this crisis when working. It's going to be enormously difficult to get these people back into the workforce now. Any politician trying to reduce the payment to incentivise work will be branded a right wing thatcherite by the usual suspects.

Who's going to go back to a minimum wage job 20 hours a week when they can earn nearly double that from the taxpayer while not having to work? This will starve businesses of much needed workers just when they need to get back going.

The costs to the exchequer are enormous. We could build a new hospital every month with the amount of money this is costing the state. Did anyone think of this? We have Regina Doherty, mother goose of the nation herself, to thank for this mess.

The key question is WHY IS IRELAND DOING THINGS DIFFERENTLY TO OTHER NATIONS?. When you have to ask this question, you know we've c**ked up.

Your complaining that they did something to avoid an economic depression.

Its obvious you have never run a business in your life.

Are you trying to go for 40% unemployment.

You want to repeat all the mistakes which turned a stock market crash in 28 in to a global depression a short few years later.

Nevermind your deep knowledge chasm in regard to economic history and basic economics, you also show you haven't even attempted to look at what other countries are doing in response to this.

You are either a troll or a fo..., forget it.

pm1977x wrote: »
    I'd reduce the handouts to the workshy, permanently unemployed before further taxing the hard working, productive people who contribute to society and the economy.

they d hardly turn to criminality?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Augeo wrote: »
    They are all now out of work?

Fred, prides himself on not looking at the numbers.

Given the pub is closed, this is his new court.

Are you earning over 70k a year ?

I’m earning circa 75 K so yes I’ll be impacted for a small amount .

pm1977x wrote: »

You are dead right but close on half of those who never worked are travellers and no one is going to ask any traveller to do a days work in case you’d be called racist .

I’m earning circa 75 K so yes I’ll be impacted for a small amount .

Fair play you are in a minority, very few call for extra taxes they themselves would be subject to.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    they d hardly turn to criminality?

Many of them already do . Many of them are better off than those their robbing ( middle Ireland tax payers )but that’s modern PC Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

Unfortunately the 350 was a rushed decision which it had to be and so many taking advantage of it.
    I know numerous people who have quit der low paying jobs to go on it, students who only worked few hours a week wile in college now getting 350 all summer.
    As well as builders, painters etc, still working away while on da 350.
    Was always going happen though when very little control on payment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

satguy wrote: »
    Over 14K posts,,, I really hope they are not all like this one ??

They are all similiar. So let's see your fixed economy example?
    Where is this utopian society.
    It's a **** excuse for not helping the less well off in the world. It's in our interests to lift all boats to the same level.

If you were to apply the logic to the micro level anyone with a mortgage or debt would never give to charity.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    They are all similiar. So let's see your fixed economy example?

It's a **** excuse for not helping the less well off in the world. It's in our interests to lift all boats to the same level.

i cant ever see absolute equality as a possibility, in fact id say it would be dangerous, but it inequality certainly is out of control

Advertisement