Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

My club guidelines simply added this:

"Members should not visit the Club if doing so puts them in contravention of government restrictions."

Covers it for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

What do you think would happen if someone travels outside the 5k restriction and they are asymptomatic with the virus and spread it to a couple of other golfers?

Would the club be liable for not enforcing the travel restriction policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    We're going around in circles here. Do I have to remind you (again) that the GUI have seen fit to refer to other things that are in the domain of the law/Gardai?
    So now your argument is that they mentioned too much?
    Now you're making things up. I presume you'll be able to point to the actual law that states this? And for the record, I don't.

Can you point to anything that would say you can travel further from 5KM from your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

GreeBo wrote: »
    Can you point to anything that would say you can travel further from 5KM from your house?

Neither you nor him know this for a fact. The phrase is "people can travel up to 5 kilometres from their home to exercise".

The way its phrased it may be your interpretation it may be his or it may be something else.

Just going by the actual wording I would read it like this.

You can travel any distance provided your destination is not further than 5km from your house.

But it could also mean that my journey (on the odometer) must not exceed 5km. Its not 100% unambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You're tying yourself in knots here. :D

My point (consistently made) is that they have been inconsistent.
    So now I have to prove a negative? Assuming that golf comes under the exercise exception (and there's yet another reason for clarity), here's the actual law (SI No. 121 of 2020 - as empowered by Section 31A of the Health Act 1947):
    4. (1) An applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence without reasonable excuse.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), such reasonable excuse includes an applicable person leaving his or her place of residence (in this paragraph referred to as the “relevant residence”) to -

(i) exercise, either alone or with other persons residing in the relevant residence, within a 2 kilometre radius of that residence,

Nothing in there (or anywhere else in the legislation) about the route you take to get to that place of exercise.

But it's interesting that for somebody who keeps saying that the law is clear and easily found, can't actually find the relevant legislation and is making bits of it up in the absence of being able to find it. And there are 14 other exceptions to the prohibition on leaving your place of residence. And 13 other subsectioned exceptions. Not counting all the places and services that are excluded from the distance limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

RGS wrote: »
    The 5Km limit is a radius so throws up some interesting anomalies:

For example: Donabate/The island/Corballis/Balcarrick are all within 5km of malahide, but its a 13/14km drive due to the estuary.

My understanding is that malahide residents are entitled to travel to these golf clubs as they are within the 5km radius. I may be open to correction but that's my understanding.

Yes its fine as long as you don't leave your 5k circle to get there

https://2kmfromhome.com/5km/

Neither you nor him know this for a fact. The phrase is "people can travel up to 5 kilometres from their home to exercise".

The way its phrased it may be your interpretation it may be his or it may be something else.

Just going by the actual wording I would read it like this.

You can travel any distance provided your destination is not further than 5km from your house.

But it could also mean that my journey (on the odometer) must not exceed 5km. Its not 100% unambiguous.

It means you can never be more than 5km distance from your house, I dont know why people are trying to overcomplicate it, or again, find some crazy loopholes.
    Perhaps if you travel via the sewer system or via horseback you can go further?:rolleyes:

from gov.ie
    In the meantime, as of today, it is possible to travel within 5 kilometres of your home for the purposes of exercise, accompanied only by members of your own household and observing social distancing at all times.
    Seems pretty clear cut to me, sure otherwise I could go anywhere I wanted in Ireland as long as I ended up 5KM from my house...how do you reckon that would go down with the Guards?

There is nothing I have seen that would exclude golf from that restriction, but I'm sure some will find it ambiguous, of course in their favour.:cool:

You're tying yourself in knots here. :D

My point (consistently made) is that they have been inconsistent.

So now I have to prove a negative? Assuming that golf comes under the exercise exception (and there's yet another reason for clarity), here's the actual law (SI No. 121 of 2020 - as empowered by Section 31A of the Health Act 1947):

Nothing in there (or anywhere else in the legislation) about the route you take to get to that place of exercise.

But it's interesting that for somebody who keeps saying that the law is clear and easily found, can't actually find the relevant legislation and is making bits of it up in the absence of being able to find it. And there are 14 other exceptions to the prohibition on leaving your place of residence. And 13 other subsectioned exceptions. Not counting all the places and services that are excluded from the distance limit.

Do you honestly, honestly now, believe that the 5km restriction is purely about where you end up, and not how far you travel to get there?

Think about it logically for a minute, why would we have checkpoints if you can travel as far as you want as long as you end up no more than 5km from home?
    Sure then I can jog 10KM away from my house and 10KM back and I havent broken any of your interpretion of the law becuase I didnt stop anywhere.:rolleyes:

This is crazy talk lads, pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

has become another farce of a thread

has become another farce of a thread

It's hard not to see it as trolling at this stage.

Its like watching people try to avoid the draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I think a FAQ supplement to the protocol from the GUI would answer a lot of questions and we wouldn't have two huge threads on the subject as well as Facebook and Twitter threads being inundated with similar queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Our timesheets are going live tonight covering Monday 18th to Sunday 24th

Will be interesting to see how quickly they fill up and how many living outside the 5k restrictions and over 70's will put their names down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Greebo having led in the early going with a few 10-8 rounds is now struggling as prawn comes back off the ropes with a couple of rounds of his own.

No KO yet for either fighter but wide open heading into the championship rounds. Fascinating finish ahead.

I miss live sport.

Carazy wrote: »
    I think a FAQ supplement to the protocol from the GUI would answer a lot of questions and we wouldn't have two huge threads on the subject as well as Facebook and Twitter threads being inundated with similar queries.

I can give you one right now, based on their twitter replies and common sense.

FAQ:

Q) Can I play golf?
    A) Do the government restrictions currently allow you to play golf?

Their twitter and facebook feeds are full of
    "Government policy in relation to travel applies at all times."

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

I was in 2 minds about breaking what i always considered a wrong law by travelling 15kms to my club.
    Google Traveller Funeral Cork Today lads.
    That should make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Do you honestly, honestly now, believe that the 5km restriction is purely about where you end up, and not how far you travel to get there?

Think about it logically for a minute, why would we have checkpoints if you can travel as far as you want as long as you end up no more than 5km from home?
    Sure then I can jog 10KM away from my house and 10KM back and I havent broken any of your interpretion of the law becuase I didnt stop anywhere.:rolleyes:

This is crazy talk lads, pure nonsense.
    Crazy talk :D. Reductio ad absurdum mean anything to you?

If you're jogging 10Km from your home, then you're clearly exercising outside the radius prescribed by law. Is this what passes for serious argument in your mind? Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

My members owned club charging 5 euro for casual golf to offset against lost income.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    My members owned club charging 5 euro for casual golf to offset against lost income.

I actually don't think it's a bad idea. Maybe not every day but maybe only the weeknd which would be more palatable to members.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Greebo and prawnsambo you both are as guilty as each other. Stop now with the petty stuff or it’s a week off.

Crazy talk :D. Reductio ad absurdum mean anything to you?

If you're jogging 10Km from your home, then you're clearly exercising outside the radius prescribed by law. Is this what passes for serious argument in your mind? Good luck with that.

Do you honestly think the restrictions are about how far away you end up or how far you away you have to travel to get there.

Why do we have checkpoints if the distance travelled is irrelevant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

A 5k radius means that is how far you can be from home. The ultimate destination is irrelevant.

That said, I'd hope some discretion and common sense will apply in situations like going from Malahide to The Island GC and similar.

But the 5k limit rules most of us out of going to our clubs. June 8 and 20k is when it starts for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

First Up wrote: »
    A 5k radius means that is how far you can be from home. The ultimate destination is irrelevant.

That said, I'd hope some discretion and common sense will apply in situations like going from Malahide to The Island GC and similar.

But the 5k limit rules most of us out of going to our clubs. June 8 and 20k is when it starts for me

Reckon someone will have the boat service running from malahide across the estuary as it used to in the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Sorry, this post doesn't mention travel restrictions! Just a nice photo...
    512579.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Greebo having led in the early going with a few 10-8 rounds is now struggling as prawn comes back off the ropes with a couple of rounds of his own.

No KO yet for either fighter but wide open heading into the championship rounds. Fascinating finish ahead.

I miss live sport.

Well starting Saturday the Bundesliga will be back. And with everything thats going on all matches will be on free tv for the remainder of the season.

I know its not what the majority are waiting for but its something. Better than the Belarus league anyway.

And Saturday starts with the classic that is Dortmund Schalke. Will be weird with no spectators but it will be proper footie. Frankfurt Gladbach will be interesting too. Gladach well in the mix for CL spots and even with an outside chance for the title still.

And one more.
    512580.JPG

Sorry, this post doesn't mention travel restrictions! Just a nice photo...

Those people look closer than 2m to me.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Perspective, near and far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

They’ve probably only read the guidelines from the GUI/ILGU and are completely oblivious to the pandemic, bless them

They live together! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »

Makes sense. I suggested on that on the Coronavirus Club thread last week. Golf Clubs could do with the income in lieu of comp fees

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement