Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

This is on our clubs BRS page for the 18th .....

"Please observe the Covid 19 guidelines. If you book a tee time you must live within 5K of our Golf Club
    Please arrive for your round not more than 15 minutes before your tee time. Check in with the Pro Shop Remember to keep 2 metres apart on the tees and on the course."

That seems clear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Are many clubs limiting the number of rounds that members can play each week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Interesting to view how golfers will treat the law. My club is an interesting example. It is a club in the Midlands. There is just one small village within the 5km radius, population of a few hundred at most.

I had a look at the timesheets. I know many of the players down on the sheets. Not one of the people I know live in the local village. Not only that, there are several over 70s on the sheets. Committee members included.

If this is the norm, the gradual plan to return to normal life is doomed. Only saving grace is that we aren't following the UK plans.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Talking to a member of Powerscourt today and he said 3 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We have 2x12 holes and the only mention is not to try to play both courses on the same day.

2 x 12 gets everyone who wants to play out all winter, so I'm not expecting much congestion, especially with travel restrictions in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Interesting to view how golfers will treat the law. My club is an interesting example. It is a club in the Midlands. There is just one small village within the 5km radius, population of a few hundred at most.

I had a look at the timesheets. I know many of the players down on the sheets. Not one of the people I know live in the local village. Not only that, there are several over 70s on the sheets. Committee members included.

If this is the norm, the gradual plan to return to normal life is doomed. Only saving grace is that we aren't following the UK plans.....

This will be the downfall. I know one club that is on the west coast (would be high profile) which wouldn't have a strong local membership as the majority would be from an inland town (20km) and city and it's books are full for the foreseeable. It's local (5km) membership wouldn't even fill the reduced tee times.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Ours is a 9 hole course. Limiting to 9 holes on the day and max 3*9 in a week. Phase 1.

Members are asked to follow government advice re 5km travel restrictions and over 70's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

And there you have it. I predicted it would be a free for all with clubs deciding whether to mention the restrictions, enforce the restrictions or ignore the restrictions. Don't blame them in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Donkeygonads

Our timesheets are going live tonight covering Monday 18th to Sunday 24th

Will be interesting to see how quickly they fill up and how many living outside the 5k restrictions and over 70's will put their names down

Timesheet update please .......?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Packed up everyday up to Sunday as expected.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    And there you have it. I predicted it would be a free for all with clubs deciding whether to mention the restrictions, enforce the restrictions or ignore the restrictions. Don't blame them in the slightest.

I'd hardly call mentioning or not mentioning the law around 5KM "a free for all".

The only thing a club can enforce and their own rules, they can't enforce laws any more than you can.

Can't people just do like they have always done and obey the law? Why is this any different to all the other laws we have in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Can we not just move on from the 5km law it's been done to death. If you have gone over the speed limit you have broken the law and endangered lives can we please just leave it and let individuals deal with their own choices.

Our time sheet had 14 spots left for monday 7.30 to 7 in the evening.

Saturday and Sunday afternoon reasonable quite at this stage.

We have 36 holes so play as much as u want really.

I have a problem with starting on the 3 9s that way you have 3 times the people in the carpark at the same time. Defeats the purpose of having 14 minute tee times.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Anything opening up will be under intense scrutiny from all others, how do you think it will look for golf and for golf clubs if the law is being broken for people going to play?

How will it look in the the court of social opinion?

It will be all over Joe Duffy on Monday, who will go in from a golf course to defend their actions? Joe Duffy’s first question will be, you knew where they were coming from before they came and you did nothing to stop them?

What will the individual golfer say if Joe asks them the question, why did you break the 5km restriction?

Anything opening up will be under intense scrutiny from all others, how do you think it will look for golf and for golf clubs if the law is being broken for people going to play?

It will be all over Joe Duffy on Monday, who will go in from a golf course to defend their actions? Joe Duffy’s first question will be, you knew where they were coming from before they came and you did nothing to stop them?

What will the individual golfer say if Joe asks them the question, why did you break the 5km restriction?

Timesheets booked a week beforehand with names beside them and clubs coming on to say they didn't know who was coming and from where.
    It's a storm that's coming for clubs and players alike if they think it won't be noticed.

So are you as a member of the club volunteering to stand at the gate and turn back members or write out to them and say we have decided you can't play you are 5.1 KM from the club by our calculations.

mike12 wrote: »
    So are you as a member of the club volunteering to stand at the gate and turn back members or write out to them and say we have decided you can't play you are 5.1 KM from the club by our calculations.

I’m asking what they would say if Joe Duffy asked them to explain their actions.

What leg do they have to stand upon? They will have broken the law.

Wait for the uproar, all golf courses will be closed very shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Looks like someone has Joe Duffy's number on speed dial..

In all honesty, I'm one who is going mad for a game as you all know but I'm kind of battling with my concience ATM and wo seeing if it will be worth the hassle of going up initially as it will be like playing a shot whole looking over your shoulder, Don't get me wrong I still think it was a total cop out by the government and a public relations exercise to say they are opening up golf,tennis etc, knowing full well that by keeping the 5km in place it wasn't really feasible but looked like an easing of restrictions, it would have made more sense but not gained PR by saying a full reopening on 12th of never or whatever date they wished..Anyway if clubs want to impose the 5km limit to members without having to physically do it, it's quite simple, Suspend and reimburse members for April/May thus deeming them non members and as members can only play this gets over the problem..But some will say they need the money...Don't we all, I don't go down to the supermarket every week and hand over money for goods I don't take coz They need the money...

I’m asking what they would say if Joe Duffy asked them to explain their actions.

What leg do they have to stand upon? They will have broken the law.

Wait for the uproar, all golf courses will be closed very shortly after.

The (wannabe) golfers will have broken the law, the clubs will have done nothing wrong.

In all honesty, I'm one who is going mad for a game as you all know but I'm kind of battling with my concience ATM and seeing if it will be worth the hassle of going up initially as it will be like playing a shot while looking over your shoulder, Don't get me wrong I still think it was a total cop out by the government and a public relations exercise to say they are opening up golf,tennis etc, knowing full well that by keeping the 5km in place it wasn't really feasible but looked like an easing of restrictions, it would have made more sense but not gained PR by saying a full reopening on 12th of never or whatever date they wished..Anyway if clubs want to impose the 5km limit to members without having to physically do it, it's quite simple, Suspend and reimburse members for April/May thus deeming them non members and as members can only play this gets over the problem..But some will say they need the money...Don't we all, I don't go down to the supermarket every week and hand over money for goods I don't take coz They need the money...

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    The (wannabe) golfers will have broken the law, the clubs will have done nothing wrong.

That’s not how the public will see it, golf will take the blame

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    In all honesty, I'm one who is going mad for a game as you all know but I'm kind of battling with my concience ATM and seeing if it will be worth the hassle of going up initially as it will be like playing a shot while looking over your shoulder, Don't get me wrong I still think it was a total cop out by the government and a public relations exercise to say they are opening up golf,tennis etc, knowing full well that by keeping the 5km in place it wasn't really feasible but looked like an easing of restrictions, it would have made more sense but not gained PR by saying a full reopening on 12th of never or whatever date they wished..Anyway if clubs want to impose the 5km limit to members without having to physically do it, it's quite simple, Suspend and reimburse members for April/May thus deeming them non members and as members can only play this gets over the problem..But some will say they need the money...Don't we all, I don't go down to the supermarket every week and hand over money for goods I don't take coz They need the money...

Reimburse members over 5km away, just in case it wasn't clear

There are a lot of people beating the drums on this but people break the law all the time,
    Speeding, having a pint after a round and driving home they will break the 5KM law as well.
    It isn't up to clubs to police that.
    Even if they tried Tom would book in John who lives within 5km and dick would turn up to play. Do you physically remove them from the golf course.

Saw another poster say that they have to check in again I find that silly why if you are booked head to the tee from your car.

Even if they tried Tom would book in John who lives within 5km and dick would turn up to play. Do you physically remove them from the golf course.

Saw another poster say that they have to check in again I find that silly why if you are booked head to the tee from your car.

I think you just answered your own question tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Why does anyone care about what the "public" thinks? They will find fault with something, show outrage on twitter, then move onto the next bull**** cause a day later. None of them will ever be golfers, so it makes **** all different to clubs.

I think people are getting way too caught up in perceived issues that might arise because Jack down the road went 5.4km to play golf.

Yep, I dont disagree.

Kiith wrote: »
    Why does anyone care about what the "public" thinks? They will find fault with something, show outrage on twitter, then move onto the next bull**** cause a day later. None of them will ever be golfers, so it makes **** all different to clubs.

I think people are getting way too caught up in perceived issues that might arise because Jack down the road went 5.4km to play golf.

It’s not 5.4 kms, it’s the 20 and 25 and 30 kms. It won’t take much for golf courses to close again, any rise in virus numbers and we’ll be back to where we started.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Or, they knew that this would limit the number of people on golf courses/tennis clubs and so reduce the capacity for cross-community infection.

• Advertisement

You'd have to feel sorry for the likes of Rathdowney there when the club captain says on the 5km
    “we’re not sure what to do – do we turn them away and face losing members or do we turn a blind eye?”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement