Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Carazy wrote: »
    You'd have to feel sorry for the likes of Rathdowney there when the club captain says on the 5km
    “we’re not sure what to do – do we turn them away and face losing members or do we turn a blind eye?”

What if some travels from outside the 5k and brings the virus with them? What do they say then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Kiith wrote: »
    Why does anyone care about what the "public" thinks? They will find fault with something, show outrage on twitter, then move onto the next bull**** cause a day later. None of them will ever be golfers, so it makes **** all different to clubs.

I think people are getting way too caught up in perceived issues that might arise because Jack down the road went 5.4km to play golf.
    The 'public' will include golfers who've obeyed the restrictions but find out that other clubs/golfers have completely ignored them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

What if some travels from outside the 5k and brings the virus with them? What do they say then?

Surely if all safety protocols are adhered to even if someone had the virus the chances of spreading it are very slim. If they are not very slim clubs should not be open at all. I have to travel to supermarket and I would be far more worried going shopping than going golfing. As I'm sure anyone in contact with me would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Surely if all safety protocols are adhered to even if someone had the virus the chances of spreading it are very slim. If they are not very slim clubs should not be open at all. I have to travel to supermarket and I would be far more worried going shopping than going golfing. As I'm sure anyone in contact with me would be.

You need to shop for food, you don’t need to play golf. If someone is willing to break the distance law, why wouldn’t they ignore social distancing?

I'd agree with you about the shopping versus golf risk levels. I'm sure you'll agree that you've seen some horrendously bad behaviour by some shoppers. I was in one supermarket, walking back towards the entrance to get something I'd forgotten and a man came in, and as he walked towards me, coughed into the open air without any attempt to cover his mouth. :eek:

I know that's a bit of a digression, but the issue probably isn't at the golf course, but people doing similarly stupid things on their way to or from the golf course. I suspect that there's a calculation that works something like the attenuation of sound: Capacity for something stupid to be done increases exponentially by doubling of distance travelled. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Or, they knew that this would limit the number of people on golf courses/tennis clubs and so reduce the capacity for cross-community infection.

Yeah, I agree but someone in gov making up the "Rules" should have forseen the problems that were going to arise and maybe say open up fully or wait a while longer

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I live within 5km of Dollymount beach, the Bull wall, St. Annes Park and Fairview Park.
    I can walk the dog in any of these locations from next Monday and meet a significantly larger number of people than I will on the golf course.

Its far easier to contact trace the golfers I meet than the thousands I meet in the park or on the beach.

Clubs with 27 holes and intending to use 3 tee starts and allowing only 9 holes are IMO breeching the protocols. They are allowing three times the number of people in the car park than the protocols are designed for.

Will all those calling out golfers travelling more than 5km also call out these clubs using 3 tee starts.

RGS wrote: »
    I live within 5km of Dollymount beach, the Bull wall, St. Annes Park and Fairview Park.
    I can walk the dog in any of these locations from next Monday and meet a significantly larger number of people than I will on the golf course.

Its far easier to contact trace the golfers I meet than the thousands I meet in the park or on the beach.

Clubs with 27 holes and intending to use 3 tee starts and allowing only 9 holes are IMO breeching the protocols. They are allowing three times the number of people in the car park than the protocols are designed for.

Will all those calling out golfers travelling more than 5km also call out these clubs using 3 tee starts.
    You could walk in all those locations from this day last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree but someone in gov making up the "Rules" should have forseen the problems that were going to arise and maybe say open up fully or wait a while longer

Opening up golf courses is part of opening up fully, your argument seems to be that its either full lockdown or nothing. I dont think thats realistic and is certainly not something that I have seen anywhere else.

How are multiple tee starts breaching protocols? Which protocols?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

RGS wrote:
    I live within 5km of Dollymount beach, the Bull wall, St. Annes Park and Fairview Park. I can walk the dog in any of these locations from next Monday and meet a significantly larger number of people than I will on the golf course.

True, and driving 4k to the club carries the same risk of contagion as driving 10k.

The 5k limit is a crude measure - in theory the further you go, the more people you encounter. That doesn't really apply to golfers driving to the course but we can't reasonably expect exemptions to be dished out - it would prompt a flood of similar demands.

Its 20k in a few weeks. Patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

You can walk there currently (since last week).
    The only difference next week is that Clontarf Rd will be busier with cars going to/from the city to the Bull Island and Howth courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Lads you're overthinking this big time. Information bubble syndrome I'd call it.

If a few people outside 5km will be playing and over 70s will be playing it will NOT have the country back at the brink or be 'our downfall'. Jesus lads.
    And no the whole country is not going to look at the golf clubs with daily Sky News updates either.

The rules are totally clear and is going to be grand and its getting tiresome too. And if I say that - never shying away from a hearty argument - that's saying something...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Lads you're overthinking this big time. Information bubble syndrome I'd call it.

If a few people outside 5km will be playing and over 70s will be playing it will NOT have the country back at the brink or be 'our downfall'. Jesus lads.
    And no the whole country is not going to look at the golf clubs with daily Sky News updates either.

The rules are totally clear and is going to be grand and its getting tiresome too. And if I say that - never shying away from a hearty argument - that's saying something...

I think the (imo valid) concern is that it will get worse and worse as more and more people see or hear about others ignoring the 5km rules and follow suit.

A couple of photos of busy car parks with people parked side by side fiddling at their boots and we could be bounced back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

Rory has his finger on the pulse of teh nation one again.

GreeBo wrote:
    A couple of photos of busy car parks with people parked side by side fiddling at their boots and we could be bounced back to square one.

Three balls every 14 minutes is 12 golfers an hour. That shouldn't result in busy car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭roverjoyce

First Up wrote: »
    Three balls every 14 minutes is 12 golfers an hour. That shouldn't result in busy car parks.

And 12 finishing so that's 24

Hopefully people exercise common sense and don't ruin it for everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

First Up wrote: »

The car park thing is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever come across.

Clubhouse is basically closed - the courses are at min capacity. You drive in - take the most empty spot and do your own thing.

If the car park even slightly full - you park next to a car with no one around it - not the one that someone is active at.

If you come into car park after round - you wait till person finished at car.

In all my years playing golf - have I come close to someone in a car park prior to this - maybe 10 times, and now we know don't go near someone in a car park.

If we can't manage a car park there should be no golf.

The time gaps are ridiculous. I'd say some groups will be on the 3rd hole .

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

It’s not 5.4 kms, it’s the 20 and 25 and 30 kms. It won’t take much for golf courses to close again, any rise in virus numbers and we’ll be back to where we started.

I suppose this might be an issue rurally if you had cases in a particular area and you could drive 10 or 20 kms before you hit the next area with covid infections. But, for example, in the greater Dublin area it makes no difference how far you travel, all charts show positive infection is present in entire greater Dublin area.

You are at no more increased risk playing with a golfer living 3km from your course versus someone 10km from your course, if you live in a region where infections are high.

It’s a nonsense rule anyway when applied to golf - where it’s easy to social distance, total number of players on a course capped, contacts easily traceable if necessary - but of course, and understandably, the optics would be bad to make an exception for golfers.

Golfers outside of 5km have good reason to question the logic of the rule. There are golfers that can drive 12 km by road to get to their golf club, and be within 5km radius as the crow flies at all times from their home. But we are stuck with it for the time being unfortunately, however much I disagree with it.

I wouldn’t be worried about Joe Duffy closing down the golf clubs - some will break the rules, others adhere. Parks haven’t closed because of photos on busy days, golf clubs won’t either.

Anyone chancing breaking the rules will risk being stopped and turned around by Gardai, and the disapproval of your fellow golfers, no more than that.

Just enjoy your golf if you’re lucky enough to play without breaking any rules, no need for us to police each other.

• Advertisement

Golfers outside of 5km have good reason to question the logic of the rule. There are golfers that can drive 12 km by road to get to their golf club, and be within 5km radius as the crow flies at all times from their home. But we are stuck with it for the time being unfortunately, however much I disagree with it.
    That's perfectly fine. The law refers to distance from your home, not distance on the road.

roverjoyce wrote:
    And 12 finishing so that's 24

Only when players are starting and finishing at the same time. That won't be the case for the first 3.5 - 4 hours or the last 3.5 - 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

mike12 wrote: »

"Outdoor practice areas will be allowed to open but the GUI have said that facilities such as driving ranges with covered bays will remain closed until phase three begins on June 29th."

anyone have any more info on this? i don't see driving ranges specifically mentioned in the GUI document. was hoping to get out and hit some range balls as i'm not a member of a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Think there is a difference between ranges at clubs and ranges.
    Kinsealy are opening Monday about I think you may have to book a slot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Can't wait for a game - Booked Monday and Tuesday with the Father.

Is there anything included from GUI about people hanging around the tee box before teeing off? Same with putting greens etc.

Don't like the idea of a heap of people hanging around at the 1st tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

But the people you meet are a function of the permitted distance you can travel.

It was put fairly well by Greebo in other thread.

The area cover is also a squared relationship to the distance. So it is about area covered.

People going on about driving x distance in a car to get to golf course is missing the point - because you can not pass this on in a car - alone. It is the people you can meet total in a certain area within the restrictions.

If I was given even an extra KM in my permitted radius - I mentioned I could meet maybe 50 K more people - I haven't bothered calculating it but I know it is more like 100 K people.

It is about the people you can transmit or get exposed to the disease to - not the activity. In particular it is not about Golf.

By the way - I would agree parks are not perfect - kids, dogs, people talking , too close - and things are dis-improving all the time out and about. Golf could possibly close down again , even Germany have had a rise in cases again.

I personally think our growth rate is still a bit too high (today) - I'd rather see below 50 cases a day - hope we are near that by 18th.

Would I be happy to play golf this week in a 3 ball.

Probably not - I'm watching data.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

callaway92 wrote: »

Is there anything included from GUI about people hanging around the tee box before teeing off? Same with putting greens etc.

Not sure whether was GUI or my club that said guidance is you should arrive at first tee 5 mins before tee time, that should result in no hanging around at all if its adhered to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

from kinseally

Until further notice we will be operating on a restricted opening hours basis and will be enforcing strict physical distancing and hygiene protocols for the protection of staff and customers. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Kinsealy Grange Golf Academy and would ask for your co-operation and assistance in ensuring the safe operation of the facility and our ability to continue to remain open for your practice and exercise. We would further request that you please follow the instruction of staff regarding entering our reception area and all distancing protocols.

nothing about having to book

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

callaway92 wrote: »

If people need GUI guidance on this then I truly, truly despair for modern Ireland

• Advertisement

I suppose this might be an issue rurally if you had cases in a particular area and you could drive 10 or 20 kms before you hit the next area with covid infections. But, for example, in the greater Dublin area it makes no difference how far you travel, all charts show positive infection is present in entire greater Dublin area.

You are at no more increased risk playing with a golfer living 3km from your course versus someone 10km from your course, if you live in a region where infections are high.

It’s a nonsense rule anyway when applied to golf - where it’s easy to social distance, total number of players on a course capped, contacts easily traceable if necessary - but of course, and understandably, the optics would be bad to make an exception for golfers.

I wouldn’t be worried about Joe Duffy closing down the golf clubs - some will break the rules, others adhere. Parks haven’t closed because of photos on busy days, golf clubs won’t either.

Anyone chancing breaking the rules will risk being stopped and turned around by Gardai, and the disapproval of your fellow golfers, no more than that.

Just enjoy your golf if you’re lucky enough to play without breaking any rules, no need for us to police each other.

Do you not see how ignoring the 5KM limit could quickly turn a Dublin problem into Leinster problem and on into an Ireland problem?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement