Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lads you're overthinking this big time. Information bubble syndrome I'd call it.

If a few people outside 5km will be playing and over 70s will be playing it will NOT have the country back at the brink or be 'our downfall'. Jesus lads.
    And no the whole country is not going to look at the golf clubs with daily Sky News updates either.

The rules are totally clear and is going to be grand and its getting tiresome too. And if I say that - never shying away from a hearty argument - that's saying something...

I imagine the Joe Duffy team will have the majority of the content for next weeks show lined up, certainly for Monday-Wednesday, that being an "outcry" about golfers breaking the law.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but I'm almost sure it'll happen. All you need is a few callers and there'll be no shortage of them who are ready to rock come Monday. From then on you'll have golf clubs, GUI, Government coming under pressure.

Now, it might all go smoothly, but I doubt it.

The Government (and GUI if they were consulting) should have just waited a few weeks until the 20km measures came into effect. If there's enough bad press/pressure generated next week, it could work out worse for all golfers in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

roverjoyce wrote: »
    And 12 finishing so that's 24

Hopefully people exercise common sense and don't ruin it for everybody

12 finishing per hour! 3! finishing every 14 minutes. I think we may be ok. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I live ‘out in the sticks’ so to speak. I have to travel 8km to the nearest supermarket, which I do once a week. I pass by my golf club on the way to the shop and on the way back. The bizarre thing is I would be breaking the law to include playing golf there as part of my shopping trip because the club is located outside the 5km limit from my home.
    We have truly entered an Orwellian world.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's perfectly fine. The law refers to distance from your home, not distance on the road.

Erm were you not arguing the opposite just the other day?

callaway92 wrote: »
    Can't wait for a game - Booked Monday and Tuesday with the Father.

Is there anything included from GUI about people hanging around the tee box before teeing off? Same with putting greens etc.

Don't like the idea of a heap of people hanging around at the 1st tee.

its not really possible to have people hanging around at the same tee though.
    the gap between groups and the recommended arrival time would prevent it.

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I live ‘out in the sticks’ so to speak. I have to travel 8km to the nearest supermarket, which I do once a week. I pass by my golf club on the way to the shop and on the way back. The bizarre thing is I would be breaking the law to include playing golf there as part of my shopping trip because the club is located outside the 5km limit from my home.

I'm pretty sure we have been over this before...

Shopping = essential
    Golf = non essential

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

I travel 10km to do my shopping (as do a few hundred in my "out in the sticks village") and travel along the coast by one of the finest beaches in the country.
    With the beaches open on the 18th do you think I should be allowed to go to the beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Erm were you not arguing the opposite just the other day?
    Nope. You were arguing that exactly what he described is the *only* way you can legally get to a destination 5Km from your house for exercise/golf.

Nope. You were arguing that exactly what he described is the *only* way you can legally get to a destination 5Km from your house for exercise/golf.

Huh?!
    I said that you cant ever be more than 5km from your house, I dont care what route you take. You asked me to prove it...why would you ask me to prove something that you agreed with?:confused:
    GreeBo wrote:
    If it any point on your journey you are more than 5KM from your house then you cant play.
    prawnsambo wrote:
    Now you're making things up. I presume you'll be able to point to the actual law that states this? And for the record, I don't.

Huh?!
    I said that you cant ever be more than 5km from your house, I dont care what route you take. You asked me to prove it...why would you ask me to prove something that you agreed with?:confused:
    Perhaps you should read the post I replied to again. I'll wait.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you should read the post I replied to again. I'll wait.

:confused::confused::confused:

I have no idea what you are talking about or which of the multitude of posts you are referring to.

I said that you cannot ever be more than 5KM from your house and you asked me to point to the law that states this.
    Subsequently you said
    That's perfectly fine. The law refers to distance from your home, not distance on the road.

Which contradicts with your point regarding me proving that the law refers to distance from your home.

So either you believe that the law does not care how far you travel as long as you are never outside a 5KM radius from your house or you don't. You have posted both opinions so I will leave you to argue with yourself on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

callaway92 wrote:
    Is there anything included from GUI about people hanging around the tee box before teeing off? Same with putting greens etc.

It's clearly stated in the GUI document. Arrive at first tee no more than 5 minutes before your tee time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Our timesheet went live yesterday and is completely full. Lads in there 80's down to play never mind 70's!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Our timesheet went live yesterday and is completely full. Lads in there 80's down to play never mind 70's!!

Lads haven't seen their friends in a few weeks and older lads especially love to say hello with a handshake. How many will shake hands without thinking. If one of the three ball has it now there's three of them infected, they play again on Wednesday in different groups and you could have another 6 infected. Very hard to get them out of a habit they've had all their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I just had a look at our timesheets for next week. There are plenty of people on it that I know don’t live inside the 5 km limit, including one retired Garda superintendent that I know lives about 40 km from the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

PARlance wrote: »
    I imagine the Joe Duffy team will have the majority of the content for next weeks show lined up, certainly for Monday-Wednesday, that being an "outcry" about golfers breaking the law.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but I'm almost sure it'll happen. All you need is a few callers and there'll be no shortage of them who are ready to rock come Monday. From then on you'll have golf clubs, GUI, Government coming under pressure.

Now, it might all go smoothly, but I doubt it.

The Government (and GUI if they were consulting) should have just waited a few weeks until the 20km measures came into effect. If there's enough bad press/pressure generated next week, it could work out worse for all golfers in the long run.

I’m not as convinced that this wave of criticism will come to pass. The numbers of people at the golf clubs will be so low and there’ll be more people on the roads driving to beaches and parks and garden centres. Most courses won’t be any busier or have a single extra person...it’s a question of which members should be there. That won’t be apparent from looking at the cars driving in and it won’t concern the public phone in types anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Lads haven't seen their friends in a few weeks and older lads especially love to say hello with a handshake. How many will shake hands without thinking. If one of the three ball has it now there's three of them infected, they play again on Wednesday in different groups and you could have another 6 infected. Very hard to get them out of a habit they've had all their lives.

In theory all of this could happen.

But:

- unless they’ve been cocooned under a rock for the past 2 months (in which case they won’t have the virus) those same “older lads” would have change their habits of a lifetime same as everyone else on the planet.

- either which way, it’s a hundred times more likely they don’t have the virus than do have it.

- and even if they do, the chances of a single handshake transmitting the disease is small, unless the carrier has had his hand around his mouth in the past few moments, and the recipient places his hands close to his mouth for a longish period immediately after the handshake.

But most importantly f all, If you’re worried about other people, stay at home.

:confused::confused::confused:

I have no idea what you are talking about or which of the multitude of posts you are referring to.

I said that you cannot ever be more than 5KM from your house and you asked me to point to the law that states this.
    Subsequently you said

Which contradicts with your point regarding me proving that the law refers to distance from your home.

So either you believe that the law does not care how far you travel as long as you are never outside a 5KM radius from your house or you don't. You have posted both opinions so I will leave you to argue with yourself on this one.
    Maybe I should draw you a venn diagram. I'll title it: Things that are true that fit inside other things that may also be true without contradicting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

You can’t say that they will do that. I haven’t seen anyone shaking hands recently. It not going to happen.

Carazy wrote: »
    I travel 10km to do my shopping (as do a few hundred in my "out in the sticks village") and travel along the coast by one of the finest beaches in the country.
    With the beaches open on the 18th do you think I should be allowed to go to the beach?

Big difference, as a beach is public and the golf course is private.
    There could be hundreds of people on the beach at the same time and in the same area. All random and no traceability if it becomes needed.

The golf course has 3 people going out with a 14 minute gap between them a the next. Everyone on that golf course for the whole day is accounted for.

So it is not comparable in any way.

• Advertisement

I just had a look at our timesheets for next week. There are plenty of people on it that I know don’t live inside the 5 km limit, including one retired Garda superintendent that I know lives about 40 km from the course.
    Maybe he's there on official business. :pac:

You can’t say that they will do that. I haven’t seen anyone shaking hands recently. It not going to happen.

You can't say that they won't shake hands either.

I've had several interactions in work over the last month where clients are dropping off information and they try shake your hand to thank you when they are leaving or just they just turn their heads sideways and cough. Even had one older lady violently sneeze onto the table while I was entering a room, she never even tried to cover her face while she did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

You can't say that they won't shake hands either.

I've had several interactions in work over the last month where clients are dropping off information and they try shake your hand to thank you when they are leaving or just they just turn their heads sideways and cough. Even had one older lady violently sneeze onto the table while I was entering a room, she never even tried to cover her face while she did it.

Sounds like you might actually be a bigger danger to your clubs’ members than the older lads.

thewobbler wrote: »
    Sounds like you might actually be a bigger danger to your clubs’ members than the older lads.

I won't be playing golf until I can travel far enough to play as my course is about 30kms from where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Name & shame? That's probably the only solution.

As a group here, I think we are far too caught up on the 5km rule.
    Why do we care so much?
    Golf clubs are open next Monday, surely that’s the only thing that matters.

Maybe I should draw you a venn diagram. I'll title it: Things that are true that fit inside other things that may also be true without contradicting them.

If you think people can be within 5KM of your house at the same time as being outside 5KM from your house, then I'd pay to see it

Venn diagram below:

0 0

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I'm 5.7 km by road to club, I know this as I drive past it most days but by the term as the crow flies with my new radius app thingy (I'm not a bit techy) that my daughter put on my phone I'm 4.3 km..Does this matter in legal sense ??? Minefield if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

If you think people can be within 5KM of your house at the same time as being outside 5KM from your house, then I'd pay to see it

Venn diagram below:

0 0

would the two of you just get a room, preferably more than 5km from the rest of us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

would the two of you just get a room, preferably more than 5km from the rest of us

Congratulations you have won boards golf forums post of the year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement