Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

My club are requesting all players to check in at pro shop on arrival - citing contract tracing purposes as the reason. There is already a record of players participating on the day via a strict booking system, a simple phone call on arrival would suffice if need be. Minimal contact with others should be a priority, and now a needless social interaction and possible transmission point has been introduced. This misbegotton step is dangerous and wholly unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Name & shame? That's probably the only solution.

You’d be leaving yourself open to litigation.
    Someone else could have put his name down without him knowing. This happens in my club when people want to block book.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I'm 5.7 km by road to club, I know this as I drive past it most days but by the term as the crow flies with my new radius app thingy (I'm not a bit techy) that my daughter put on my phone I'm 4.3 km..Does this matter in legal sense ??? Minefield if you ask me

Take a screenshot of raduis thingy in your house once you don't exit this you are fine no matter how far you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

It’s hard to say public shaming is justified. It would be a bit disproportionate to start focusing on one individual like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I'm 5.7 km by road to club, I know this as I drive past it most days but by the term as the crow flies with my new radius app thingy (I'm not a bit techy) that my daughter put on my phone I'm 4.3 km..Does this matter in legal sense ??? Minefield if you ask me

In a legal sense yes it does but in a legal sense you can’t play any holes that are outside the 5km radius from your residence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

My club are requesting all players to check in at pro shop on arrival - citing contract tracing purposes as the reason. There is already a record of players participating on the day via a strict booking system, a simple phone call on arrival would suffice if need be. Minimal contact with others should be a priority, and now a needless social interaction and possible transmission point has been introduced. This misbegotton step is dangerous and wholly unnecessary.

Our club is the same, I don't see a problem with it. You don't have to be with 10ft of the person checking them in.

What happens if someone truns up and it's not their name on the timesheet? It's an extra layer of monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

I'd be pretty sure you are perfectly entitled to play in a legal sense.In practical terms I would be equally sure that no one will bother you.Enjoy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Will that make you feel good ?? If he finds out,you won't be able to go anywhere in the future without being stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do you not see how ignoring the 5KM limit could quickly turn a Dublin problem into Leinster problem and on into an Ireland problem?

Yes of course.

I'm just making the point that it's a blanket rule, and an understandable one, but for specifically golfing purposes it is meaningless. Obviously they can't make an exception just for golfers - again understandable.

Sensible reading of the science since this began tells us if you stick to social distancing rules outside, the risk of transmission is so minute as to be almost zero. Fear of catching this virus on a golf course is bordering on hysteria, and as another poster mentioned if you have that fear it would be better you stayed home.

Would it not be better in the long run for golf if we just assume that each golfer is personally aware of keeping themselves and loved ones safe and anyone who turns up on the first tee is fully prepared to have a long-awaited game of responsible socially distant golf. Alternatively, report to guards, name and shame, and hold a grudge eternally for all the over 70s and the fellas that drove 6km as members to play a round?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Yes would think this is unnecessary alright - surely there's a way to check in without entering pro shop. Haven't heard from my club yet, before it shut down we were required to check in at pro shop but would have thought they'd have figured out some other simple way to check people in.

Would the timesheet not be enough information for contact tracing? Or do you think they are expecting golfers without slots showing up? Would be interested if this measure is normal or an exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Yes would think this is unnecessary alright - surely there's a way to check in without entering pro shop. Haven't heard from my club yet, before it shut down we were required to check in at pro shop but would have thought they'd have figured out some other simple way to check people in.

Would the timesheet not be enough information for contact tracing? Or do you think they are expecting golfers without slots showing up? Would be interested if this measure is normal or an exception.

They also need to record the no shows for contact tracing so they can rule them out. Having a starter outside to check names would minimise risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

3nxv9cM.png

0OlHRUx.png

1ERhXhC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Maybe the professional is hoping golfers will spend money in shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

go play your golf - we both need it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Our club timesheet is open for the first week back. Not one spare slot left. 5km rules being completely ignored by a significant portion of membership. It is a complete farce and an untenable situation. The club, the GUI and the guards, if they are of a mind to enquire, should now have advance notice that a very significant portion of golf club members are going to ignore the 5km limit commencing next week. Is everyone supposed to turn a blind eye?

If the 5km limit is to be maintained by the Government, the GUI should request golf clubs to remain closed in the interests of the broader community, the reputation of the GUI and the integrity of the game.

The GUI have been very weak on this. They should have been crystal clear from the start, that if the resumption of golf was to result in travel restrictions being ignored by golf club members, then the resumption was untenable. A complete joke shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Very interesting that Druid's Glen sent an email to the members stating that if they live more than 5km from the club they will be removed from the timesheet and not allowed play. They go on to say that anyone who has changed their address since the lockdown on BRS that the old address will be used.

It would be great if all clubs could do this but it should not be necessary and people should just follow the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

yawhat? wrote: »
    Our club timesheet is open for the first week back. Not one spare slot left. 5km rules being completely ignored by a significant portion of membership. It is a complete farce and an untenable situation. The club, the GUI and the guards, if they are of a mind to enquire, should now have advance notice that a very significant portion of golf club members are going to ignore the 5km limit commencing next week. Is everyone supposed to turn a blind eye?

If the 5km limit is to be maintained by the Government, the GUI should request golf clubs to remain closed in the interests of the broader community, the reputation of the GUI and the integrity of the game.

The GUI have been very weak on this. They should have been crystal clear from the start, that if the resumption of golf was to result in travel restrictions being ignored by golf club members, then the resumption was untenable. A complete joke shop.

Was on the radio there - on fairly mainstream stuff..

Garry Murphy came out against the opening - till all can play. Honorable - but will not be looked as a good call by some.

I didn't think it would be noticed too much , but with posts above and others that you find in golf clubs. It will not be an easy ride. You can see with posts here , people will be reported. So will be a mess.

The 5 km is heading for trouble - someone will be stopped at the club or a club somewhere - then in modern media and news , story will make mainstream.

"call for golf to be locked down" - "why do golf think they are special - what about ping pong"

Didn't think that was on the cards - but , can see it now

Trouble ahead. Be it national - or at a club near you.

Timesheets opened this morning for week commencing 18th May - 22nd May and you can at this moment go on and basically take your pick of times..Must be observing the rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Very interesting that Druid's Glen sent an email to the members stating that if they live more than 5km from the club they will be removed from the timesheet and not allowed play. They go on to say that anyone who has changed their address since the lockdown on BRS that the old address will be used.

It would be great if all clubs could do this but it should not be necessary and people should just follow the law.

Is it really up to a voluntary member of a men's committee or comp committee to go trawling through address books and mapping off same to find 'alleged' offenders though?

Its upto members taking responsibility themselves afaic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Is it really up to a voluntary member of a men's committee or comp committee to go trawling through address books and mapping off same to find 'alleged' offenders though?

I agree.

From the GUI FAQ page...

Q. Whose role is it to monitor members coming to our club?
    A. It is the responsibility of individuals to observe society-wide public health guidelines. Whilst golf clubs must ensure that the game is played safely, it is not the responsibility of golf clubs to ensure that members adhere to the laws of the land.

I think it's a tool the clubs are using to reduce golfers on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

yawhat? wrote: »

We had 3 days open for booking this morning. Every slot gone in 20 mins with about 25 on the waiting lists for each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Was on the radio there - on fairly mainstream stuff..

Garry Murphy came out against the opening - till all can play. Honorable - but will not be looked as a good call by some.

I didn't think it would be noticed too much , but with posts above and others that you find in golf clubs. It will not be an easy ride. You can see with posts here , people will be reported. So will be a mess.

The 5 km is heading for trouble - someone will be stopped at the club or a club somewhere - then in modern media and news , story will make mainstream.

"call for golf to be locked down" - "why do golf think they are special - what about ping pong"

Didn't think that was on the cards - but , can see it now

Trouble ahead. Be it national - or at a club near you.

Fixd I think you and others are placing for too much value into when/should the mainstream media / Joe Duffy find an offender and go off on one.

These noises usually go away as quick as they come along. The radio and newspapers are very unlikely to follow up on the story, as it’s simply not exciting or interesting, or even unusual enough, to warrant more than a little steam flowing.

Besides, within a week or two, either the whole country will be as good as opened up, or back in full lockdown. Golf won’t be the cause of which way this goes. Everybody knows that. Even irate anti golfers know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Clearly members don't believe in taking personal responsibility. Golf is heading for a PR battle and nightmare early next week, which it has no chance of winning. There still is time to fix it.

It's 'The Club' ie the organisation not individuals that need to take responsibility, take names off, and in 3 weeks give priority to those outside the 5k limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I couldn't agree more.

Clearly though this is not going to happen so the club has taken action which I admire. They also said members are going to reimbursed for time they couldn't play too.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

What club?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

there is also the factor that the consequence of an action taken today won't be felt for 2 weeks at least. If there is an outbreak caused by the golf lads travelling more than 5km that news will only spread once wider restrictions have been greatly reduced. I doubt Golf will get the tail end of the stick then but it could land us all back into a strict lockdown

that said I think golf is as safe an activity you could do with other people. Its when people go back to visiting each other and hanging out for prolonged periods indoors is when we really find out about whether the timing of relaxation was right or not

eoghan104 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more.

Clearly though this is not going to happen so the club has taken action which I admire. They also said members are going to reimbursed for time they couldn't play too.

I think a lot of clubs are going to face a deluge of enquires around the payment of membership fees, Firstly, Members who have paid up front full fees will seek a reduction on next year's fees or reimbursement for time when not allowed play, especially if they turn away members next week, and those paying on Direct Debits whose accounts have been debited for a Service which clubs could not provide, It's an interesting one but I believe most clubs will come to satisfactory arrangements with their members in the interest of all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

eoghan104 wrote:

eoghan104 wrote:

Druids have also informed members they are guaranteed 12months of golf for the subs paid...and that your paused membership will only restart when you are eligible to play again as per government restrictions...so doesn't make it so hard to take for members who can't play next week due to distance...it would also be great if all clubs could do this..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement