Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Clearly members don't believe in taking personal responsibility. Golf is heading for a PR battle and nightmare early next week, which it has no chance of winning. There still is time to fix it.

It's 'The Club' ie the organisation not individuals that need to take responsibility, take names off, and in 3 weeks give priority to those outside the 5k limit.

Do you believe garden centres should be asking people where they live and turning people away next Monday if outside the 5km limit?

Give your head a wobble. Golf clubs are not the police, they have enough to worry about without turning into some sort of community garda presence.

People have personal responsibility to abide by the law. Gardai need to enforce the law. Full stop, no more. How is this even a debate ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Blud wrote: »
    Do you believe garden centres should be asking people where they live and turning people away next Monday if outside the 5km limit?

Give your head a wobble. Golf clubs are not the police, they have enough to worry about without turning into some sort of community garda presence.

People have personal responsibility to abide by the law. Gardai need to enforce the law. Full stop, no more. How is this even a debate ffs.

What does a golf club do when a member inside the 5k can’t get a time and there is a substantial number from 10, 15, 20 k on the sheet?

If Joe Duffy gets calls and he will, how would you like to see a Garda car parked outside clubs checking addresses? How’s that going to look for golf? Golf is seen as a pompous, elitist sport. There is plenty looking to give it a dig.

Are you ok with golfers breaking the travel law to play golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Timesheets opened this morning for week commencing 18th May - 22nd May and you can at this moment go on and basically take your pick of times..Must be observing the rules
    Likewise in my club. Plenty of room on the timesheet. People generally being responsible I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Druids have also informed members they are guaranteed 12months of golf for the subs paid...and that your paused membership will only restart when you are eligible to play again as per government restrictions...so doesn't make it so hard to take for members who can't play next week due to distance...it would also be great if all clubs could do this..

They were planning to close for the entire year in 2021 for extensive course renovations so it will be interesting to see if that still happens.

Interesting about their 5km stance despite the GUI stating it is not up to golf clubs to enforce this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What does a golf club do when a member inside the 5k can’t get a time and there is a substantial number from 10, 15, 20 k on the sheet?

If Joe Duffy gets calls and he will, how would you like to see a Garda car parked outside clubs checking addresses? How’s that going to look for golf? Golf is seen as a pompous, elitist sport. There is plenty looking to give it a dig.

I think the days of golf being pompous and elitist are well past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

1. Absolutely nothing. They’re all members, and sometimes timesheets fill up because lots of members want to play.

2. The majority of Joe Duffy’s listeners will switch off if he talks about golfers for any length of time, especially for sporadic, unprovable cases.

3. Your head is completely gone if you think the Gardaí are going to deploy officers to spend their afternoon harassing 3 people arriving every 15 mins, especially as they’re there to walk in the open air.

4. You might view it as a pompous elitist sport. But even the most ardent anti-golfer knows that people walking through a wide open field are not a problem for Covid.

5. People are “breaking the law”. Golfers are playing golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Druids have also informed members they are guaranteed 12months of golf for the subs paid...and that your paused membership will only restart when you are eligible to play again as per government restrictions...so doesn't make it so hard to take for members who can't play next week due to distance...it would also be great if all clubs could do this..

Well I'd applaud them for being pro active in this..no one left wondering that Johnny can play from Monday but I can't but still paying same fee..

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

1. Answer the direct question on the garden centres.

2. The golf club does nothing on that timesheet problem. Members outside the 5km limit shouldn't be there, but that's not a rule of membership of the golf club, it's not for them to enforce. This is obvious stuff.

3. Gardai should be parked outside golf clubs checking addresses. As a citizen, I expect and hope that they are. I also expect that they will be checking at other places that are opening Monday like garden centres, the same way that they were at beaches and parks and the fecking Hell Fire Club car park. How you perceive any such checks as a sleight on the perception of golf is beyond me, this is literally the Gardai's most important job right now.

4. I am not OK with golfers breaking the law to travel to play golf. That is a million miles away from thinking the golf club needs to enforce that law. I am not OK with lads speeding to get to tee times on a Sunday morning either, but I dont think the golf club should be handing out speeding fines.

It is an objectively ridiculous point of view.

Jaysus, someone else on here with Joe Duffy's number on speed dial

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

thewobbler wrote: »
    Fixd I think you and others are placing for too much value into when/should the mainstream media / Joe Duffy find an offender and go off on one.

These noises usually go away as quick as they come along. The radio and newspapers are very unlikely to follow up on the story, as it’s simply not exciting or interesting, or even unusual enough, to warrant more than a little steam flowing.

Besides, within a week or two, either the whole country will be as good as opened up, or back in full lockdown. Golf won’t be the cause of which way this goes. Everybody knows that. Even irate anti golfers know that.

I think you are probably right - but there seems to be enough whinging and complaining within even the golf community to cause a problem. Then add to that people who have a cause against golf. Then add to that - a particular over zealous head case rules type - or disgruntled player who can not play. Looking at thread - there is a fair few (not just an odd head case). Then a pro on radio saying there should be no golf :eek:

On the Joe Duffy thing - I think you are mistaken to underestimate it , but yes, golf small in the overall scale of things opening up. Will be bars today (as was) - builders etc - hairdressers - hotels - restaurants.

BUT
    We have got a head start - so most stuff that has a head start are being whiter than white and actually going above and beyond, because they can not afford to shut down again - they want to show we can do this.

No matter what - it is a mistake to even risk bad PR - when it is a positive story.

It looks a mess at the moment. The 5 km , is just not going to work and is far too divisive to create a cohesive positive PR.

I've already seen , surprising anger and odd reactions from people because I am within 5 km and they are not. I'd be happy with all out , till all in.

• Advertisement

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Jaysus, someone else on here with Joe Duffy's number on speed dial

Sure Golfhead - you are going to play no matter what the distance -

You'd be a great opposing view guest. He has one on every day like you.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I think the days of golf being pompous and elitist are well past.

Once you have trousers on and pass the interview, are proposed , seconded, not blackballed - and know x, y and z.

:p

1. Absolutely nothing. They’re all members, and sometimes timesheets fill up because lots of members want to play.

2. The majority of Joe Duffy’s listeners will switch off if he talks about golfers for any length of time, especially for sporadic, unprovable cases.

3. Your head is completely gone if you think the Gardaí are going to deploy officers to spend their afternoon harassing 3 people arriving every 15 mins, especially as they’re there to walk in the open air.

4. You might view it as a pompous elitist sport. But even the most ardent anti-golfer knows that people walking through a wide open field are not a problem for Covid.

5. People are “breaking the law”. Golfers are playing golf.

On point 3, Most of them will be trying to get on the timesheets in those "Gardai Golf Clubs" and I'd say there will not be any checkpoints anywhere near these lol

Blud wrote: »
    1. Answer the direct question on the garden centres.
    The direct answer is garden centres have no right to ask for your address. Unless they're sending something to you.

Sure Golfhead - you are going to play no matter what the distance -

You'd be a great opposing view guest. He has one on every day like you.

Ah but legally I can but have chosen not to as yet, plenty of slots available still so no rush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Raisins wrote: »
    It’s hard to say public shaming is justified. It would be a bit disproportionate to start focusing on one individual like that.

Ah sure, let him off so. What does it matter anyway. Let's all head out and do what we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

I presume the GUI were in discussion with members of Government about reopening. When informed that the 5km rule would be law, the GUI should have waited til June 8th to announce reopening of courses. Also how will anybody know that any golfer has passed on Covid 19 to another golfer in the next few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

johntommy wrote: »
    I presume the GUI were in discussion with members of Government about reopening. When informed that the 5km rule would be law, the GUI should have waited til June 8th to announce reopening of courses. Also how will anybody know that any golfer has passed on Covid 19 to another golfer in the next few weeks?

You are aware that cafes, restaurants and off licences have been offering an alternative and restricted, but far from essential, service throughout lockdown, aren’t you?

Why in anyone’s name would a business decline an opportunity to legally service an eager customer base?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Very interesting that Druid's Glen sent an email to the members stating that if they live more than 5km from the club they will be removed from the timesheet and not allowed play. They go on to say that anyone who has changed their address since the lockdown on BRS that the old address will be used.

It would be great if all clubs could do this but it should not be necessary and people should just follow the law.

My club has done likewise.

You are aware that cafes, restaurants and off licences have been offering an alternative and restricted, but far from essential, service throughout lockdown, aren’t you?

Why in anyone’s name would a business decline an opportunity to legally service an eager customer base?

What has that got to do with my post?

Just on the latter, that's how contact tracing works. ff somebody tests positive, they have to list all the places they have been and people they have interacted with.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Just on the latter, that's how contact tracing works. ff somebody tests positive, they have to list all the places they have been and people they have interacted with.

Will be a fun conversation when Paddy is shown to have infected Paul who lives 20Km away from him...

I don’t mean to dispute that.
    If they were in a supermarket how would they know who they were in contact with? How would they know when they contacted it? They may have no symptoms for a few days. Guy who I work with, his wife got it but had no high temperature. I don’t think anyone could prove where you got it.

I don’t mean to dispute that.
    If they were in a supermarket how would they know who they were in contact with? How would they know when they contacted it? They may have no symptoms for a few days. Guy who I work with, his wife got it but had no high temperature. I don’t think anyone could prove where you got it.
    It's not about proving where you got it. It's about locking down the vectors you may have spread it to. So in the case of a guy who played golf at his club, showed symptoms a few days later and lists the places he visited in that time. Anyone in close contact would then also be tested. So a playing partner, checkout operator, work colleagues etc. I have direct experience of this as somebody close to me was both infected and then after recovery, subsequently contact traced from another person. And even though they had previously been infected and recovered, were tested again.

It's not about proving where you got it. It's about locking down the vectors you may have spread it to. So in the case of a guy who played golf at his club, showed symptoms a few days later and lists the places he visited in that time. Anyone in close contact would then also be tested. So a playing partner, checkout operator, work colleagues etc. I have direct experience of this as somebody close to me was both infected and then after recovery, subsequently contact traced from another person. And even though they had previously been infected and recovered, were tested again.
    That’s fair enough. I just think all the bad feeling about the 5km travel restrictions could have been avoided. Then there would not be a chance of bad press for golf members.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The GUI isn't forcing clubs to re-open. That's their own choice. All the GUI has done is issue guidelines on the safety measures to be observed.

Most clubs will be quiet until June 8th. It's good that they have a few weeks to test their systems and procedures before they get busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

If they didn't open up on the 18th and tennis opened up we would have as many on here giving out that the GUI didn't do enough to get golf open.

There will be no drama and I think anyone who thinks it will be main news on Joe Duffy is mad.

There was a 5 a side soccer match going on the little astro pitch last night and some of ye are worried about guys playing golf in an open field.

If people break the law it's up the the law to deal with them.
    For me loads of people are getting lax and that worries me more and will lead to way more new cases that will be possible from golf.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    The GUI isn't forcing clubs to re-open. That's their own choice. All the GUI has done is issue guidelines on the safety measures to be observed.

Most clubs will be quiet until June 8th. It's good that they have a few weeks to test their systems and procedures before they get busy.

While at the same time they were recommended to close as Roganstown and Swords alluded to but because of Shame culture in this country they were backed into a corner..Anyway we've done that argument to death

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement