Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Time sheet opened at 8, only 10 slots left on the monday now. Everyone dying to get out clearly!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Mushy wrote: »
    Time sheet opened at 8, only 10 slots left on the monday now. Everyone dying to get out clearly!

majority of members would be local enough i'd say? Course looking great! saw a few pics on FB

enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

majority of members would be local enough i'd say? Course looking great! saw a few pics on FB

enjoy ;)

Yeah say majority are within the 5k. One or 2 I see who'd be borderline. You elsewhere now?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah say majority are within the 5k. One or 2 I see who'd be borderline. You elsewhere now?

Ya I joined Castlemartyr before Xmas with a few of the lads I play with

hopefully the weather stays nice now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ya I joined Castlemartyr before Xmas with a few of the lads I play with

hopefully the weather stays nice now!
    Really like that course. Played it last year and have booked to go back in September all going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Golfhead65 wrote:
    While at the same time they were recommended to close as Roganstown and Swords alluded to but because of Shame culture in this country they were backed into a corner.

No idea what this means.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Blud wrote: »
    1. Answer the direct question on the garden centres.

2. The golf club does nothing on that timesheet problem. Members outside the 5km limit shouldn't be there, but that's not a rule of membership of the golf club, it's not for them to enforce. This is obvious stuff.

3. Gardai should be parked outside golf clubs checking addresses. As a citizen, I expect and hope that they are. I also expect that they will be checking at other places that are opening Monday like garden centres, the same way that they were at beaches and parks and the fecking Hell Fire Club car park. How you perceive any such checks as a sleight on the perception of golf is beyond me, this is literally the Gardai's most important job right now.

4. I am not OK with golfers breaking the law to travel to play golf. That is a million miles away from thinking the golf club needs to enforce that law. I am not OK with lads speeding to get to tee times on a Sunday morning either, but I dont think the golf club should be handing out speeding fines.

It is an objectively ridiculous point of view.

For the garden centres, I'm not sure how you're relating this to golf courses, as far as I can see you are saying just because one person breaks the law then it's ok for others too. This is a golf forum, we are discussing golf clubs, who have the addresses of their members. Turning a blind eye to where they are coming from is a cop out. Athletics Ireland have told their clubs to turn away anyone from outside 5k on Monday and it is the clubs responsibility to do so. Garden Centres do not have contact details and many are delivering

It will be an issue for clubs when someone who is inside 5k can't get out to play because someone from outside 5k is taking their place.

The comparison to speeding to the golf club is not a valid point, you do not have to break the law and speed to get to a golf club, if travelling from outside 5 k on Monday to play golf the golfer is breaking the law. The clever clubs have decided to implement booking policies so as not to have any flash points or disagreement amongst the membership.

Any one who comes from outside 5k to play has no leg to stand on as to why they are travelling to play. What reason can they give? I don't think the laws applied to me, is that what they will say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Our timesheet opened at 7 this morning for next Monday's opening. Sheet is full already with multiple players living way outside the 5km. Bigger fool me for adhering to the restrictions.

Apparently my club has had four or five new members apply in the last few days. All living locally I believe. It's an ill wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

First Up wrote: »
    The GUI isn't forcing clubs to re-open. That's their own choice. All the GUI has done is issue guidelines on the safety measures to be observed.

Most clubs will be quiet until June 8th. It's good that they have a few weeks to test their systems and procedures before they get busy.

You think they'll be quiet??

My club like a lot around the country is fully booked up from Monday until the foreseeable!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Apparently my club has had four or five new members apply in the last few days. All living locally I believe. It's an ill wind...

That’s great though isn’t it?

It’ll be bad enough financially for all clubs. If golf as an early outlet gets a few members in the door could only be positive no?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

We've picked up 20+ from City West closing for the year, might just be temporary though as when City West reverts back to normal they probably go back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Our timesheet opened at 7 this morning for next Monday's opening. Sheet is full already with multiple players living way outside the 5km. Bigger fool me for adhering to the restrictions.

But are you really only upset because you cant get on the time sheet?

In a few weeks the limit will be 20km. When your sheet is still full who will you blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    We've picked up 20+ from City West closing for the year, might just be temporary though as when City West reverts back to normal they probably go back

What club?. My next door neighbour joined Lisheen Springs from Citywest on a temporary membership

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It’ll be bad enough financially for all clubs. If golf as an early outlet gets a few members in the door could only be positive no?

I agree. A lot of clubs will be hanging on for dear life come the end of the summer so don't have the luxury of turning away cash in order to keep some members happy.

What club?. My next door neighbour joined Lisheen Springs from Citywest on a temporary membership

That's the one

Yeah, it is. Probably should have completed that proverb if you're not familiar with it. "It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good". Not unlike "Every cloud has a silver lining". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In a few weeks the limit will be 20km. When your sheet is still full who will you blame?

In fairness - if you have been busting your balls with the restrictions , not even gone for exercises - and get to play golf as a lucky break.

You are obviously going to look at a dude rocking up from 20 km away - who probably wasn't too strict on the restrictions in the first place and has not got a care in the world about the 5km.

You have to allow people respond to basic human nature.

If you are going to break the 5 km - you can't expect it to be a walk in the park, won't be from me personally, but don't expect an easy ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yeah, it is. Probably should have completed that proverb if you're not familiar with it. "It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good". Not unlike "Every cloud has a silver lining". :)

Ye I wasn't quite sure about that one :)

Just had a quick scan of our timesheets for next week and still a fair few spots available on Monday but Tuesday there are only 14 spots taken, it's a day (evening) under normal circumstances that I rock up to play as for some reason coz it's ladies day and they are gone by mid afternoon nobody seems to go up and you nearly always have the course to yourself..Tuesday it so folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

My club like a lot around the country is fully booked up from Monday until the foreseeable!!

Same here.
    Opened last night and booked out 2 x 12 until Friday 22nd...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I'm looking at players in the timesheet for next week will over 70 years of age and busting the 5km distance. The very sort I'm supposed to be protecting. "We're in this together" my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Depends on location, and if people are respecting the 5k limit. I suspect the Gardai have a fair idea where they should position checkpoints from Monday onward.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Killarney Golf club have the following restrictions to ensure as many members as possible get to play:
    The number of rounds permitted per member per week is as follows:

Mahony's Point or Killeen
    • 2 Midweek Games or
    • 1 Midweek Game and 1 Weekend Game

Members who do not follow the guidelines and book more times will have their names removed from the timesheet. New booking protocols will be reviewed weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

For the garden centres, I'm not sure how you're relating this to golf courses, as far as I can see you are saying just because one person breaks the law then it's ok for others too. This is a golf forum, we are discussing golf clubs, who have the addresses of their members. Turning a blind eye to where they are coming from is a cop out. Athletics Ireland have told their clubs to turn away anyone from outside 5k on Monday and it is the clubs responsibility to do so. Garden Centres do not have contact details and many are delivering

It will be an issue for clubs when someone who is inside 5k can't get out to play because someone from outside 5k is taking their place.

The comparison to speeding to the golf club is not a valid point, you do not have to break the law and speed to get to a golf club, if travelling from outside 5 k on Monday to play golf the golfer is breaking the law. The clever clubs have decided to implement booking policies so as not to have any flash points or disagreement amongst the membership.

Any one who comes from outside 5k to play has no leg to stand on as to why they are travelling to play. What reason can they give? I don't think the laws applied to me, is that what they will say?

You are missing the point, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by saying that it would appear deliberate.

Garden centres will not check if people are obeying the 5km limit. It will be 20km in a few weeks - restaurants and cafes won't be checking either. Why would golf clubs appoint themselves to intervene?

This is a key point here too - they would be appointing themselves to intervene. Nobody has asked them to do so, it is not a condition imposed on golf courses for reopening. Why would they do that?

You mention that they hold address information - ypure straying towards dangerous territory here. For what purpose do they retain that info? How do they ensure it is up to date, you know they have obligations there too? GDPR issues could certainly finish a golf course, have you seen the level of fines?

Members not being able to get on timesheets due to those outside the 5km limit being there is wholly unfair, of course. But that's life, people have personal responsibility for their own actions, it is an issue with individual club members and not the club itself. It definitely, definitely doesn't justify the club acting as the Gardai.

The comparison to speeding is a Ted herring and you are right, it was just used as an example to show that it is mental for a club to have to enforce any law. I'll use a different example - someone has 5 pints after a round and jumps in the car, do you think the golf club should be enforcing the law and stopping them from driving or calling the Gardai?

There is no justification for someone coming from outside 5km to play, I am absolutely not advocating that they do and I myself will not be playing until July earliest as things stand. That's not the point though. The club cannot be asked to enforce the law of the land.

If someone shows up from outside the 5km limit, you're saying the club shouldn't let them play. What do they do next? Call the Gardai on the member and report them? Detain the member until the Gardai arrive? Or is it just, well we stop them from playing so we are all good? It is complete nonsense.

Id say clubs that are in the community like The Castle, The Grange, etc ..not picking them for any reason other than a large cohort of the members would be close by and are itching for a game will be busy for a few days but the novelty will soon wear off and there won't be a problem getting out. A mistake I think personally is clubs may have opened the timesheets for too long a period into the future. Our club only opened timesheets from next Monday to Friday and from Monday 18th they will open for Saturday 23rd, on Tuesday for Sunday 24th and so on, People other than these first few days can't book more than 1 day at a time..I also think our timesheets are free enough as the committee sent out a circular to all members about the reopening but also reminding members of the permanent Garda Checkpoint just outside (has been there from day one) as it's on the county border between Dublin/Wicklow and a lot are not chancing it.....Probably the most informative post I've put up here and not a rant..Sorry Greebo you're a good guy really lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

My club opens the timesheets today at noon and a quick look has all the committee booked in for their rounds before its even open. Clubhouse has been getting calls about it complaining. Absolute joke!

pakman wrote: »
    My club opens the timesheets today at noon and a quick look has all the committee booked in for their rounds before its even open. Clubhouse has been getting calls about it complaining. Absolute joke!

Everyone of our Committee live beyond the 5km and NOT ONE of them are on any timesheet any day..Practicing what they're preaching

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

johntommy wrote: »
    What has that got to do with my post?

Well in your post you discussed two things.

One was that the GUI should have declined a government sanctioned measure to re-open on Monday, with restrictions in place.

I’m wondering why you think any trading business should stay closed when they’ve been approved to open? By way of comparison, Cafes, restaurants and off licences have remained opened throughout the epidemic, with restrictions in place. Why would golf not follow suit, when permitted?

You also wanted to know how golf courses can know who has Covid. Again, I don’t think any of the cafes, restaurants or off licences operating in the past few months have had pop up testing centres. That’s why they’re only open with restrictions. Same as golf.

• Advertisement

pakman wrote: »

Pakman, just as you were getting your game in shape..BOOM the Corona virus, hope your good man and we get to play soon in a boards outing..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement