Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

GreeBo wrote: »
    Maybe I expected more of people in that they wouldnt travel more than 5km for a round of golf?

There are two sides to this and only one of them has the law behind them tbf.

I'm with you on that also. As I alluded to numerous times in the other thread and hardly needs to be discussed again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No one is going to notice golfers breaking the 5km rules with everyone else also breaking the 5km rule. Seems like 50% of the country think the lockdown completely ends on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Not sure the Gardai will be too interested. We've a chap in our club who's a member of the Garda ERU and lives 15k from the course and is down to play 3 days in the first 7!!

You can test that theory on Monday. If they don't wave you through, be sure to give them that chap's name. That'll do the trick.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Kiith wrote: »
    No one is going to notice golfers breaking the 5km rules with everyone else also breaking the 5km rule. Seems like 50% of the country think the lockdown completely ends on Monday.

Based on attitudes but also examples but also things coming out of Korea and Germany, I fully expect us to be back to 2km within a week or so.
    Not necessarily tied to golf, but when you have people sitting by the canal in Dublin and families on the beach in Galway, its asking for trouble.

Anyones club made any decisions on intra-club comps yet?
    We have mixed, fourball/somes & singles all drawn up and started but obv no movement since.

I guess everything moves to fourball at least and maybe singles keeps going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

Anyones club made any decisions on intra-club comps yet?
    We have mixed, fourball/somes & singles all drawn up and started but obv no movement since.

I guess everything moves to fourball at least and maybe singles keeps going.

Mis-read the question. We haven't started on re-scheduling club comps yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Based on attitudes but also examples but also things coming out of Korea and Germany, I fully expect us to be back to 2km within a week or so.
    Not necessarily tied to golf, but when you have people sitting by the canal in Dublin and families on the beach in Galway, its asking for trouble.

What's wrong with sitting beside the canal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

where have the bulk of the citywest membership ended up? Are they mostly looking to go back?

Did you get refunds?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Neither Korea nor Germany reintroduced lockdowns. I’m surprised at how confident you can express your expectation that we’ll return to a 2km restriction within “a week or so”.

I don’t think anyone has a crystal ball, regardless as to where they fall in the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

BoldReason wrote: »
    Maybe I expect more of people. But didn't think people would be calling radio stations complaining about lads travelling more than 5km for a round of golf.

Nothing better to do, calling out people like that is what they get off on and obviously it's a member of these clubs doing the calling as members would be the only ones with access to timesheets, I hope whoever did it is found out and they will and members blackball him on every timesheet going forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The local radio has mentioned a club with a full timesheet Monday and the vast majority outside 5k.

This is not going to go down well. It’s not too late for clubs and members to avoid a whole pile of trouble which could easily lead all clubs to be closed for a while longer.

Told ya.

Slow news day - but not inconceivable it will end up in media.

thewobbler wrote: »
    Did they also talk about the local unnamed pub which is serving customers, most of whom clearly have Covid19?

Is there a pub serving ?

Sounds a great place.

Raisins wrote: »
    Neither Korea nor Germany reintroduced lockdowns. I’m surprised at how confident you can express your expectation that we’ll return to a 2km restriction within “a week or so”.

I don’t think anyone has a crystal ball, regardless as to where they fall in the debate.

https://www.barrons.com/news/german-towns-to-reimpose-shutdowns-over-virus-clusters-01588954808

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/11/asia-pacific/science-health-asia-pacific/south-korea-nightclubs-second-coronavirus-wave/#.Xr10B2hKhPY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Why does it upset some golfers that fellow members of their club might travel more than 5km to play golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I blame the absolute fear mongering thats been going on for the last couple of months on all media fronts and in the general public debate. Garnish with a dose of 'who does he think he is?' add a dash of 'if I'm not playing nobody else is' and there you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Why does it upset some golfers that fellow members of their club might travel more than 5km to play golf?

I'd imagine it's that they'll have to wait another 4 weeks to play while those flouting the law will be playing Monday.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Update this evening from the GUI stating golfers are not to travel more than 5km. Also an advisory to over 70's not to play golf.

Next week looks a scorcher so I'd expect courses full all week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

They don’t really back up your fear of the 2km restriction being reintroduced.
    Restrictions were relaxed and saw an immediate increase in infections?
    Our previous restrictions were 2km and we have been told that "Taoiseach warns restrictions will be reimposed in event of coronavirus ‘second wave’"

I'd call an increase in infections (a tripling in the case of Germany) a second wave.
    Raisins wrote: »
    I know, they didn’t reimpose a national lockdown in either country.

I didnt say they did reimpose a national lockdown in either country
    I said that based on what I saw from those countries and what I have seen in Ireland, a 2km lockdown will be reintroduced in Ireland.
    The links give details of reintroduction of lockdowns in parts of both countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

A disaster for the GUI to be releasing clarification statements and "Don't forget" to abide by the travel restrictions posters today.
    Their refusal to put the distance requirements in their protocol was the catalyst for this fiasco.

How they thought leaving it out in the first place was a good idea I don't know.

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4670/clarification-on-travel-and-cocooning-in-relation-to-golf?fbclid=IwAR2H5OWrxA_WlwKt629hc8bWln8GFmpisiOYRyB8Ti_dahOSZlHfOKFPJAk

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Just read the clarification on golfnet.

Here's an extract: " it should also be understood that going to facilities in advance of the 18 may to prepare for reopening is not considered to be within the spirit of the roadmap."

They cant mean golfers as the courses wont open till the 18th.

Surely that's part of the maintenance and upkeep allowed currently. Or does the department think the courses will just magically open without human input.

RGS wrote: »
    Just read the clarification on golfnet.

Here's an extract: " it should also be understood that going to facilities in advance of the 18 may to prepare for reopening is not considered to be within the spirit of the roadmap."

They cant mean golfers as the courses wont open till the 18th.

Surely that's part of the maintenance and upkeep allowed currently. Or does the department think the courses will just magically open without human input.

Presume it means things like going to the clubhouse to get your stuff (shoes, clubs, charge battery etc) in advance of May 18th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Carazy wrote: »
    A disaster for the GUI to be releasing clarification statements and "Don't forget" to abide by the travel restrictions posters today.
    Their refusal to put the distance requirements in their protocol was the catalyst for this fiasco.

How they thought leaving it out in the first place was a good idea I don't know.

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4670/clarification-on-travel-and-cocooning-in-relation-to-golf?fbclid=IwAR2H5OWrxA_WlwKt629hc8bWln8GFmpisiOYRyB8Ti_dahOSZlHfOKFPJAk

Yeah that’ll go down in history, as one of the all time greatest disasters ever. They’ll be making movies about this one, never mind the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Rackstar wrote: »
    Yeah that’ll go down in history, as one of the all time greatest disasters ever. They’ll be making movies about this one, never mind the pandemic.

Do you think the governing body of golf has done a fantastic job?
    These issues were foreseen last week but blindly ignored.

Figure today a bit of a disaster - massive jump in cases. 426,

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭davegilly

pakman wrote: »
    My club opens the timesheets today at noon and a quick look has all the committee booked in for their rounds before its even open. Clubhouse has been getting calls about it complaining. Absolute joke!
    I saw that, bad form. If they had the cop on to do it a few minutes before 12 rather than the day before when it was blatantly obvious it wouldn't have been as noticeable.

I see you still managed to get on the timesheet anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Figure today a bit of a disaster - massive jump in cases. 426,

No. If you watch the CMO in the presser, he said a massive chunk of them have been reported from one location that were previously mistakenly unreported. Some were going back 6 weeks.

Reinfection rate really low, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Presume it means things like going to the clubhouse to get your stuff (shoes, clubs, charge battery etc) in advance of May 18th?

Maybe but surely it is better for the club to facilitate this on an appointment basis prior to Monday before golf restarts to ensure social distancing and less unnecessary activity on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Carazy wrote: »
    Do you think the governing body of golf has done a fantastic job?
    These issues were foreseen last week but blindly ignored.

I think they played a yes sir 3 bags full sir kind of proposal to get courses open again without having much thought about it,after all as soon as they open The GUI will be looking for their fees, if they had said "Listen a lot of members live outside your proposed 5km limit, if we tell them to arrive alone and leave without delay afterwards" I'm sure they still might have let it go ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement