Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Figure today a bit of a disaster - massive jump in cases. 426,

Over 200 are a backlog and are not current.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Over 200 are a backlog and are not current.

Well that is good news - still hoping to dip below the 100 at some point.
    Hopefully a real figure tomorrow - near 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just in relation to the GUI's updated document today.. they still only use the word "should" and not "must". An important distinction which all of you who are familiar with our golf rules should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

RGS wrote: »
    Maybe but surely it is better for the club to facilitate this on an appointment basis prior to Monday before golf restarts to ensure social distancing and less unnecessary activity on Monday.

Well you arent supposed to be going anywhere until Monday, so the only real option would have been to delay opening until Tuesday and leave Monday for that I guess?

I'm sure there cant be too many people down to play on monday who dont have their stuff ready?

Though actually it raises the question, can you travel to your golf club for purposes other than golf? (ie. to get stuff)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I blame the absolute fear mongering thats been going on for the last couple of months on all media fronts and in the general public debate. Garnish with a dose of 'who does he think he is?' add a dash of 'if I'm not playing nobody else is' and there you are.

Respecting the 5k (or 20k) limit is a personal matter. If people want to chance it they are welcome to try. I expect to see an increase in checkpoints from Monday but it isn't the responsibility of clubs to enforce it.

Leave that to the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

First Up wrote: »
    Respecting the 5k (or 20k) limit is a personal matter. If people want to chance it they are welcome to try. I expect to see an increase in checkpoints from Monday but it isn't the responsibility of clubs to enforce it.

Leave that to the Gardai.

The gardai won’t enforce it either. More than likely if you say you’re going to the golf club you’ll be fine I doubt they’ll start asking for your address and checking your 5km rather than 7/8 for example.

Worst case scenario, put a shopping bag in the back, say you’re going shopping, job done. I’m not advocating that I’m just saying there won’t be a single person getting into trouble with the gardai over a round of golf unless there’s idiots driving across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Carazy wrote: »
    Do you think the governing body of golf has done a fantastic job?
    These issues were foreseen last week but blindly ignored.

I think you answered your own question, governing body of golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Why does it upset some golfers that fellow members of their club might travel more than 5km to play golf?

It will bother the feck out of me if too many people flaunt the travel restrictions to play and potentially contribute to the crisis being exasperated to the point that the restrictions are further extended.The time-sheet is fairly full for Monday and also a good few on Tuesday. No way are they all within 5km.

I'm patiently waiting till the 08th June and then will hopefully get my fill of overdue golf.

If that plan is scuppered due to people not following the still in effect restrictions. I wonder have they all paid their membership ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Raisins wrote:
    Worst case scenario, put a shopping bag in the back, say you’re going shopping, job done. I’m not advocating that I’m just saying there won’t be a single person getting into trouble with the gardai over a round of golf unless there’s idiots driving across the country.

They are a lot more thorough than that. I watched a checkpoint in Goatstown this afternoon; every driver got a grilling and had to satisfy the Garda about their journey.

I expect we will see high visibility and strict enforcement between May 18 and June 8. A shopping bag won't be close to being enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Macker1 wrote: »
    I'm patiently waiting till the 08th June and then will hopefully get my fill of overdue golf.

If that plan is scuppered due to people not following the still in effect restrictions. I wonder have they all paid their membership ??
    Put your name down for Monday or Tuesday next week as due to the wholesale non-compliance of the golfing society the restrictions are going to be reintroduced for sporting outlets quickly enough for the foreseeable. Shops and business will be allowed to stay open but sport is going to be the fall guy.
    Chances are by the time it's your turn (>20km) we will all be back to square one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Carazy wrote: »
    Put your name down for Monday or Tuesday next week as due to the wholesale non-compliance of the golfing society the restrictions are going to be reintroduced for sporting outlets quickly enough for the foreseeable. Shops and business will be allowed to stay open but sport is going to be the fall guy.
    Chances are by the time it's your turn (>20km) we will all be back to square one.

No one's actually played golf yet ya spoofer

First Up wrote: »

I expect we will see high visibility and strict enforcement between May 18 and June 8. A shopping bag won't be close to being enough.

What else do you think we will need to have as proof we’re going shopping?
    What you’re describing sounds serious

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Just watching Primetime and something I hadn't picked up on before,From Monday people can meet up outside in groups of 4 , So why is golf only allowed in 3 balls

What else do you think we will need to have as proof we’re going shopping?

No clubs in the boot would probably help!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Rackstar wrote: »
    I think you answered your own question, governing body of golf
    So why did they tell people to obey the 5Km law? Eventually.

GreeBo wrote: »
    No clubs in the boot would probably help!

Lol mine are still in it

prawnsambo wrote: »
    So why did they tell people to obey the 5Km law? Eventually.

Because a bunch of people kept complaining that they were suddenly unsure what the law in Ireland was.

So it seems the GUI got told off by Sport Ireland for not doing their job as a NGB.

"We have received clarification from Sport Ireland in relation to travel restrictions and cocooning".

So it seems the GUI got told off by Sport Ireland for not doing their job as a NGB.

"We have received clarification from Sport Ireland in relation to travel restrictions and cocooning".

Yeah I saw that too but I noticed they say that sport Ireland itself got clarification from the government on the travel and cocooning issues in golf. The way they present it Sport Ireland took up a number of issues with the government across a range of sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'm outside the 5k limit but looking sadly at my club's timesheet for next week, I see the club chairman's name down to play on Tue and Thur. He's over 70 and lives 10+ km from the course. Great example. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Raisins wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that too but I noticed they say that sport Ireland itself got clarification from the government on the travel and cocooning issues in golf. The way they present it Sport Ireland took up a number of issues with the government across a range of sports.
    Of the sporting bodies that have released guidance to clubs and members, the GUI is the only one (that I know of) that didn't 'clarify' the situation. Athletics Ireland released 16 pages of guidance on Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

Comhra wrote: »
    I'm outside the 5k limit but looking sadly at my club's timesheet for next week, I see the club chairman's name down to play on Tue and Thur. He's over 70 and lives 10+ km from the course. Great example. :rolleyes:

I’m actually only 6km away from my course but didn’t put my name down for next week. I’m very odd with things like that, it’s black and white with me with rules, guidelines.
    Everyone can make their own choice but I’m going to follow the 5km limits

The timesheet is jammed next week especially Monday and Tuesday, I would guess at least 80% are travelling over the limit, probably even a lot higher percentage that that even

Anybody give any thought to how qualifying competitions can restart safely? I've looked, but there's nothing in the GUI guidance or FAQ that I can find. The way I see it, there are two problems that need to be overcome. The first is obviously bunkers (putt buddies and other mechanisms deal adequately with the hole and pin), there are personal rakes available that I see other clubs have adopted, but the biggie for me is the scorecard. There's no way around the requirement for a player to sign their scorecard. Anyone got any ideas on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

Congu and the R&A have provided details for running qualifying competitions
    If clubs introduce a Local Rule to allow preferred lies in bunkers, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes. (Using Model Local Rule E-3)

Please note: The distance for preferred lies in the bunker is limited to 6 inches and the area cannot be smoothed before placing.

As an alternative (but not combined with the preferred lies detailed above) if the condition of bunkers is so poor that it interferes with the proper playing of the game, a club Committee may declare all bunkers to be Ground Under Repair, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes.
    Committees may choose to allow methods of scoring in stroke play that do not strictly comply with Rule 3.3b, or do not comply with the normal methods used under Rule 3.3b. For example:
    - Players may enter their own hole scores on the scorecard (it is not necessary for a marker to do it).
    - It is not necessary to have a marker physically certify the player’s hole scores, but some form of verbal certification should take place.
    - It is not necessary to physically return a scorecard to the Committee provided the Committee can accept the scores in another way.
    - As provided in the Rules of Golf, scorecards can be electronic, which could include emailing or texting scores to the Committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Anybody give any thought to how qualifying competitions can restart safely? I've looked, but there's nothing in the GUI guidance or FAQ that I can find. The way I see it, there are two problems that need to be overcome. The first is obviously bunkers (putt buddies and other mechanisms deal adequately with the hole and pin), there are personal rakes available that I see other clubs have adopted, but the biggie for me is the scorecard. There's no way around the requirement for a player to sign their scorecard. Anyone got any ideas on this?

I was thinking the same thing and something I thought might suffice is (it will need a lot of checking ) if you Mark cards as normal but in column D mark your own score and at the end of your round, cross reference with your playing partner that all is correct and if all is ok, YOU as the marker print the players name on the players signature side of Card along with Markers signature and put into a Comp box to be open a few days later to close off.Not perfect but it covers what needs to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

We are going electronic, I will submit your score and you mine, looks like it should work ok from what I can see.
    All done on your mobile phone.
    If u don't have a smart phone u maybe in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

mike12 wrote: »
    We are going electronic, I will submit your score and you mine, looks like it should work ok from what I can see.

Just play bunkers without raking

Record both scores, only the marker signs the card, I'm sure they aren't going through all the cards to check each week, just the winning scores

Submit most scores using an app, for those few without, just get the pro shop to submit for you

Of the sporting bodies that have released guidance to clubs and members, the GUI is the only one (that I know of) that didn't 'clarify' the situation. Athletics Ireland released 16 pages of guidance on Wednesday morning.

It looks as though the GUI were completely against the 5km restriction applying to golf. They barely gave it lip service. They didn’t take any positive step to encourage compliance with the rule. There’s a lot of golfers who took the nod off the GUI on that and intend to break the restriction. You can see it across all the clubs especially with captains and committee members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

mike12 wrote: »

The R&A are now allowing score cards to be done electronically. We (ClubNet) have opened our app with the digital card to all Irish clubs with no subscription fees for the rest of the year. There is a one off set up cost of €250 that we can’t avoid. Scoring can be done by one person in each group or by a web browser so 99.9% of golfers should be covered.

I think we have about 120 clubs up and running, close to 57,000 golfers.

R&A Wording (Summary)

Scoring in Stroke Play (Rule 3.3b)
    In view of concerns around handling and exchanging scorecards (which may be in paper or electronic form as already provided in the Rules), on a temporary basis, Committees may choose to allow methods of scoring in stroke play that do not strictly comply with Rule 3.3b, or do not comply with the normal methods used under Rule 3.3b.

It is not necessary to physically return a scorecard to the Committee provided the Committee can accept the scores in another way.

J

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just play bunkers without raking

We've all got feet, just smooth over as best you can is the simplest solution

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement