Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Whether you drive 1km or 10km the risk is exactly the same if you don’t stop to do something else on the way.
    If is deemed to be safe to play golf, then the risk, whatever it is, is the same for everyone who turns up to play. It doesn’t matter how far they have driven to get there.
    This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the risk involved. It is purely a question of the technical adherence to a law, (or not).
    And how do you guarantee that for everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

prawnsambo wrote:
    And how do you guarantee that for everybody?

Martial Law?

First Up wrote: »
    Martial Law?
    I want to thank you again for not spelling it 'Marshall'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    That's exactly predicament, by road and by crow flies, outside 5km by one and we'll inside by the other

What predicament?
    You can't leave a 5km radius circle from your house. End of.
    It doesn't matter if you leave and come back, you can't leave it.
    It really couldn't be more clear cut.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    The travel restrictions are for all non essential activity, sport and everything else. I doubt golf was on anyone's priority list when 5k was decided and the fact that it is one of the first activities to be allowed suggests it wasn't.

The 5km aspect had nothing to do with golf, however golf was specifically given the green light to go ahead.
    They could have changed it to 10km or 1km and still allowed golf to return.
    Focusing on 5km and trying to argue that it's somehow unfair for golfers is totally missing the point.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Whether you drive 1km or 10km the risk is exactly the same if you don’t stop to do something else on the way.
    If is deemed to be safe to play golf, then the risk, whatever it is, is the same for everyone who turns up to play. It doesn’t matter how far they have driven to get there.
    This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the risk involved. It is purely a question of the technical adherence to a law, (or not).
    If we could guarantee that people don't spread it then we wouldn't need any restrictions now would we?
    Clearly we can't so we have restrictions.
    5km is to limit the damage of any infection, it will be limited to a 10km diameter circle around the club.
    By definition that limits the number of people who can catch it.

The formula for calculating the area of a circle should be all you need to know to obey the limit. As you double the diameter you quadruple the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

This thread has to be the most boring repetitive going round in circles knobend stuff in golf boards ever aaarrrrgggh. it a good job i have a bag of Barrets Milk Teeth here beside me to scoff.

GreeBo wrote:
    The 5km aspect had nothing to do with golf, however golf was specifically given the green light to go ahead. They could have changed it to 10km or 1km and still allowed golf to return. Focusing on 5km and trying to argue that it's somehow unfair for golfers is totally missing the point.

Couldn't agree more. Golf is sideshow in all this. Golf Clubs can figure it out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

GreeBo wrote: »
    What predicament?
    You can't leave a 5km radius circle from your house. End of.
    It doesn't matter if you leave and come back, you can't leave it.
    It really couldn't be more clear cut.
    Thanks but I don't think I'll listen to your biased replies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

prawnsambo wrote: »

Was thinking about the likes of Macreddin and Woodenbridge... feck all towns within 5km.

If members did actually abide by the HSE regulations, a tiny number of members living in either Avoca or Aughrim would have their respective courses to themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Rackstar wrote: »
    This thread can probably be summed up as:

Poster type 1. Lives within 5km of their club, couldn’t care less how far people are travelling as long as they keep their distance at the course.

Poster type 2. Lives outside the 5km, keeping their head down and will break the law.

Poster type 3. Lives outside the 5km, can’t bare to think that people will break the 5km and get a game of golf while they abide by the law. This outrage is driving them (nuts) to call for committees to uphold the law of the land and criticise the unions for not telling the committees to enforce laws.

I’m poster type 1, I can see my club from my kitchen.

Best post in this whole thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

This thread has to be the most boring repetitive going round in circles knobend stuff in golf boards ever aaarrrrgggh. it a good job i have a bag of Barrets Milk Teeth here beside me to scoff.

Agreed. It's like a competition to see who is most self righteous or who can harbour more indignation. Mind your own house and stop being a nosey parker.

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Thanks but I don't think I'll listen to your biased replies

Biased?:confused:
    I'm simply stating the facts, feel free to argue the point, if you have one.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Agreed. It's like a competition to see who is most self righteous or who can harbour more indignation. Mind your own house and stop being a nosey parker.

It's more like a conversation with a child.

"But whhyy! All the other kids are playing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This is one of the worst threads on Boards at the minute, which is quite an achievement. The level of stupidity exhibited here is stunning.

I was considering joining the Boards golf society when it gets going again, but after seeing so many knobheads in this thread (and the last one), there’s no way I’d consider it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

GreeBo wrote: »
    It's more like a conversation with a child.

"But whhyy! All the other kids are playing!"

You do realise that you are the enabler with this ****e talk !!
    In more relevant news .. my club will be jammed all week .. weather will be good , greens firm. Looking forward to teeing it up

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

95% of contributors on here are not in the golf society

hawkelady wrote: »
    You do realise that you are the enabler with this ****e talk !!
    In more relevant news .. my club will be jammed all week .. weather will be good , greens firm. Looking forward to teeing it up

Excuse me, I and others are forced to act like parents.

Weather wise I have seen s couple of courses watering fairways during the week. Been bone dry for weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

As an 'essential worker' I can travel 30km to work everyday where there is no guarantee I can keep 2m distancing ect.

Yet I cant travel 6km to play golf where I can pretty much guarantee to not come withing 2m of someone.

Although I am glad to be working and appreciate that fact. I been bursting my bollox every week yet I have to wait 3 more weeks to play golf while someone down the road has been sitting at home with their feet up collecting their covid payment can go out and golf at their leisure next week.

This doesn't sit well with me at all tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

A lot of info to decipher in this thread. Can anyone clarify if there are any courses open to non-members from today?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Enjoy the Golf too much focus on 5k , rule 1 if you are doused do not turn up to play golf or work with a temperature, coughing , spluttering or snotty nose not acceptable anymore .

Route1 wrote:
    A lot of info to decipher in this thread. Can anyone clarify if there are any courses open to non-members from today?

Members only until June 8.
    Members and their guests until June 29
    Visitors from June 29.

It's all set out clearly on golfnet.ie

redzerdrog wrote: »
    As an 'essential worker' I can travel 30km to work everyday where there is no guarantee I can keep 2m distancing ect.

Yet I cant travel 6km to play golf where I can pretty much guarantee to not come withing 2m of someone.

Although I am glad to be working and appreciate that fact. I been bursting my bollox every week yet I have to wait 3 more weeks to play golf while someone down the road has been sitting at home with their feet up collecting their covid payment can go out and golf at their leisure next week.

This doesn't sit well with me at all tbh
    golf isn't a reward from the government.
    I've been working since the start and have watched people who live near the beach go to it while I can't. What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

GreeBo you need to stop thinking you're on some kind of mission of righteousness.

a) Nobody has ever been swayed by some argument on an internet forum. Rhetorical statement, yes, but true enough.
    b) Its not very endearing.
    c) With the case at hand its very very marginal at best

a + b + c == You're in a no win situation here. I'm as stubborn as they come. If I can see that you're definitely in trouble with this.

The previous poster didnt even say they were going to play.

You need to let this go. Its not doing your own state of mind any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Route1 wrote: »

Members only for phase 1, but I think some driving ranges are to open which is a small something if you have one nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Whiplash85 wrote: »

Yes some hard-liners making it difficult and frustrating to have a discussion.

Would be interested to know what new golf regulations might stay with us longer than roadmap.

Are handshakes gone? What about moving to cardless comps, or phasing in the option with an app?

And are all the current restrictions in place through entire roadmap in relation to flags and holes, marking cards, buggies, ball washers, divot bags, practice putting green, etc?

Happy Golfmas Everyone.

Hope anyone playing today has a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Knowall1

After 12 weeks of solid sunshine it's raining here in Kildare . Thank you God

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Not much in it lads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement