Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Knowall1 wrote: »
    After 12 weeks of solid sunshine it's raining here in Kildare . Thank you God

Miserable drizzle here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

For all of us inside the 5km, there's not a drop of rain. Karma boys 😄

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

4.2km, rain :/

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Yes some hard-liners making it difficult and frustrating to have a discussion.

Would be interested to know what new golf regulations might stay with us longer than roadmap.

Are handshakes gone? What about moving to cardless comps, or phasing in the option with an app?

And are all the current restrictions in place through entire roadmap in relation to flags and holes, marking cards, buggies, ball washers, divot bags, practice putting green, etc?

I think handshakes are gone for a while. People will be standoffish for the foreseeable due to the social distancing message being drummed down peoples throats. Hopefully the virus will melt away and we can have normal human interactions again.

In relation to scoring APP, I have had a chance to use one of these in competition and call me old fashioned but I just didn't take to it. Part of the reason I play golf is to escape all that. I would find it would break concentration with all notifications. Also vast swathes of our course does not have good internet or phone coverage so it would not be practical.

I do not think the roadmap with outrun the GUI guidelines for return to play. This govt are ultra conservative. The key will be not to panic when the caseload does rise when lifting the restrictions. But I think putting green, practice area will open up but with capacity restrictions. Buggies can be used if on your own or with someone from same household.

There are some things in relation to flags etc that may bring about positive change and speed up play. Every flagpole in our club will have a spring attached which means for an older member you do not have to bend your back down to pick up your ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

GreeBo wrote: »
    It's more like a conversation with a child.

"But whhyy! All the other kids are playing!"

Stop projecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

And are all the current restrictions in place through entire roadmap in relation to flags and holes, marking cards, buggies, ball washers, divot bags, practice putting green, etc?

golfnet.ie

As the saying goes; when all else fails, read the instructions.

GreeBo you need to stop thinking you're on some kind of mission of righteousness.
    I'm not on any mission, but if other posters keep posting things that are demonstrably wrong (and likely to encourage others to also do wrong) then I'm going to keep correcting it. This is the same attitude that has people drinking bleach, we all know its nonsense, but others get confused when they see things repeated repeatedly. Travelling outside 5km to get back inside 5km is an example of this, its against the law and is endangering people.

a) Nobody has ever been swayed by some argument on an internet forum. Rhetorical statement, yes, but true enough.
    See above.
    b) Its not very endearing.
    I'm not here to make friends.
    c) With the case at hand its very very marginal at best
    Its not. Its a circle with a 5km radius around your house. There are no ifs, ands or buts.
    (btw you are now an example of the people in my first response, adding doubt where there is no none)

You need to let this go. Its not doing your own state of mind any good.

My mental state is a rock solid as it ever was, but thanks for caring! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I guess those who can't play should take solace that the weather(In Dublin anyway) this morning is worst I've seen since lockdown started, wet and windy.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I think handshakes are gone for a while. People will be standoffish for the foreseeable due to the social distancing message being drummed down peoples throats. Hopefully the virus will melt away and we can have normal human interactions again.

In relation to scoring APP, I have had a chance to use one of these in competition and call me old fashioned but I just didn't take to it. Part of the reason I play golf is to escape all that. I would find it would break concentration with all notifications. Also vast swathes of our course does not have good internet or phone coverage so it would not be practical.

I do not think the roadmap with outrun the GUI guidelines for return to play. This govt are ultra conservative. The key will be not to panic when the caseload does rise when lifting the restrictions. But I think putting green, practice area will open up but with capacity restrictions. Buggies can be used if on your own or with someone from same household.

There are some things in relation to flags etc that may bring about positive change and speed up play. Every flagpole in our club will have a spring attached which means for an older member you do not have to bend your back down to pick up your ball.

I think we have finally seen the end of people taking the flag out of the hole.

Regarding electronic scoring, you dont actually need an internet connection at all times, data can be stored locally until you get back in range.

I think the 2020/2021 interclub snooker season is toast.

Yes some hard-liners making it difficult and frustrating to have a discussion.
    The only discussion that is being stifled is the idea that you can travel more than 5KM away from your home to play golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Enjoy lads, Arlene and Michelle aren't playing ball up here. Hopefully we get an announcement soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

GreeBo wrote: »
    The only discussion that is being stifled is the idea that you can travel more than 5KM away from your home to play golf.

You can still travel more than 5km, it’s just against the law.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Time to close this thread, golf is now back on(for some people!) and new thread to be started about what your club is doing etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement