Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The guidelines are simply a formal restatement of the measures which were in place immediately before the lockdown. They carefully avoid any mention of what will be the most contentious issues, the travel limit and the age limit. The clubs themselves will have to police these restrictions, (or not, as the case may be). They will not be able to point to the GUI guidelines to justify whatever measures they put in place in relation to these issues.
    I think the GUI have chickened out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The guidelines are simply a formal restatement of the measures which were in place immediately before the lockdown. They carefully avoid any mention of what will be the most contentious issues, the travel limit and the age limit. The clubs themselves will have to police these restrictions, (or not, as the case may be). They will not be able to point to the GUI guidelines to justify whatever measures they put in place in relation to these issues.
    Looks that way to me too. Very vague on the legal aspects. The closest they come is this statement on page 2. And it's very much open to interpretation.
    Members will need to be aware of the limited basis on which they have the opportunity to play in the initial months.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do they not just point to the government guidelines?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

14 mins makes no sense at all - someone would have been thinking about the restriction at start - but people hardly meet other groups at all before the first tee when 5 to 8 mins gaps

I'd genuinely be on the 3rd tee in 14 mins.

Id imagine it's to avoid crowding/maintain distance in the carpark, toilets, pro shop. I know our place is like a hive from 7-12 every Saturday. You've to pass a crowd to get to the tee box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

The GUI do not set the law or can legally tell anyone what to do and thank God. They are a sports body.

They can tell you what the restrictions are but it’s up to you to decide if you want to obey them and then that’s a Garda issue.

And you are only breaking this rule by traveling to the club, not actually been at the club! This is really important point to understand and I don’t get this confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Looks that way to me too. Very vague on the legal aspects. The closest they come is this statement on page 2. And it's very much open to interpretation.

They don't specially call out restrictions on travel or over 70 but do cover themselves with the statement below:

"Rules for Golfers in Phase 1
    This Protocol sets out the basis on which golf can be played in a safe manner, during Phase 1 of the Government’s Roadmap for Reopening Society and Business. Golfers are expected to observe the underlying public health guidance set out at: www.hse.ie/coronavirus/ and www.gov.ie. These rules are subject to change and golfers are asked to check www.golfnet.ie regularly for updates."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's not the golf clubs responsibility to enforce any sort of travel restrictions. Do Tesco and other stores check where you live before entering? If you move outside the 5km zone, you are responsible if anything happens.

It's going to be a nightmare to get a game i'd say, but any game will do me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ollieboy wrote: »

Just a comment, no club can or will enforce the 5k s or 70’s. Any club that does, will have a legal issue.

And any member should have a membership issue next year. Membership is a privilege not a right.

Hoboo wrote: »
    And any member should have a membership issue next year. Membership is a privilege not a right.

Next year golf clubs will be doing everything they can to hang on to their membership. They will not be in the business of banning members. That world ended about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Absolutely.They make lots of vague references to the responsibilities placed on golf by allowing it to be one of the first sports to open.They want clubs to sign up to protocols some of which are ridiculous or childish.Yet they fail to specifically address the two key issues that could result in the game getting negative publicity.

Imagine the headlines if golfers are stopped travelling 50km to play or players clearly over 70 are pictured playing.I actually think that neither of the above scenarios carry much risk at all but the will be plenty outside the game only too willing to highlight golfers non compliance with public health guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd imagine normal government restrictions should apply ie over 70's still have to cocoon and nobody to travel over the 5km. Not having the over 70's should keep them safe and free up slots on the course for everyone else.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Kiith wrote: »
    It's not the golf clubs responsibility to enforce any sort of travel restrictions. Do Tesco and other stores check where you live before entering? If you move outside the 5km zone, you are responsible if anything happens.

It's going to be a nightmare to get a game i'd say, but any game will do me at this stage.

Shopping was always an essential activity and the 5km rule does not apply to it.

I would be more concerned about clubs getting grief both from members who are rigidly sticking to the rules and see names on the timesheet that should not be playing and also from non golfing people who see neighbours heading off to play who they know are rule breaking..

It takes very little in this country to get people to pick up the phone to report others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Just a comment, no club can or will enforce the 5k s or 70’s. Any club that does, will have a legal issue.

You cannot sue a club you’re a member of. What other legal issue would you foresee?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You cannot sue a club you’re a member of. What other legal issue would you foresee?

Why couldn't you sue a club you're a member of? :confused:

I'd say anyone who ever sued a golf club its quite likely it would have been the club they were a member of. Not that that's really worth debating. Just confused by that statement.

Absolutely.They make lots of vague references to the responsibilities placed on golf by allowing it to be one of the first sports to open.They want clubs to sign up to protocols some of which are ridiculous or childish.Yet they fail to specifically address the two key issues that could result in the game getting negative publicity.

Imagine the headlines if golfers are stopped travelling 50km to play or players clearly over 70 are pictured playing.I actually think that neither of the above scenarios carry much risk at all but the will be plenty outside the game only too willing to highlight golfers non compliance with public health guidelines.
    I think the reason that they make no specific reference to the travel restriction is because they know that there are many clubs who have hardly any members living within the 5km limit. One of my neighbours is a member in Co Louth, (Baltray), and he told me that he doesn’t know personally any member living within the travel limit. (He himself lives 25km from the club).
    I can think of clubs where there is very few people at all living within 5km. Clubs like Ballyliffen, Carne and Connemara spring to mind.
    If the recommendations are strictly adhered to, there will be so few people eligible to play, there will be no problem with getting a time slot. Those who are eligible play can play all day every day if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

How will clubs set up their time sheets to reflect the different times for 1, 2 and 3 balls?

Will they all just allocate to 14 mins and leave it at that even if there are only 2 golfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Why couldn't you sue a club you're a member of? :confused:

I'd say anyone who ever sued a golf club its quite likely it would have been the club they were a member of. Not that that's really worth debating. Just confused by that statement.

It is the legal equivalent of suing yourself.

http://www.hassettconsidine.ie/published-articles/36-february-2010-sports-clubs-and-the-law.html
    The first important point to note is that a member of any sports club who voluntarily participates in club activities accepts the risks that are inherent in the sport or activity itself. There is no legal obligation on the club to provide insurance cover, so the responsibility of ensuring that cover is in place rests with the individual member. Therefore, if a member is registered on a team and participates in training or games then he or she does so at his or her own risk.

The club rules/ constitution will contain sections on membership and in the vast majority of cases there will be a requirement that a subscription be paid annually in order to qualify as a full member. Although it is every club's ambition to ensure that all of its members are fully paid up members, this is often not the case. If an unregistered member is allowed onto club property, he or she will be a member of the Public. In the event of any such person sustaining an injury on club property, he or she will most likely identify the club trustees and executive as Defendants because in most cases they are the legal owners of the club property.

I think the reason that they make no specific reference to the travel restriction is because they know that there are many clubs who have hardly any members living within the 5km limit. One of my neighbours is a member in Co Louth, (Baltray), and he told me that he doesn’t know personally any member living within the travel limit. (He himself lives 25km from the club).
    I can think of clubs where there is very few people at all living within 5km. Clubs like Ballyliffen, Carne and Connemara spring to mind.
    If the recommendations are strictly adhered to, there will be so few people eligible to play, there will be no problem with getting a time slot. Those who are eligible play can play all day every day if they want to.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.I would think there will by quite a few who intend to follow regulations but if they see others not following them they might change their mind by week 2!!

The GUI do not set the law or can legally tell anyone what to do and thank God. They are a sports body.

They can tell you what the restrictions are but it’s up to you to decide if you want to obey them and then that’s a Garda issue.

And you are only breaking this rule by traveling to the club, not actually been at the club! This is really important point to understand and I don’t get this confusion.
    It's actually the law, not a rule. But I do like your chicken and egg interpretation of it. :D

I do have an issue with the group sizes and the intervals. And the sentiment and the tone of the statement.

Its like they took the worst case scenario from the most crowded club in the country added some safety space and then applied that as a blanket rule to everyone. Handed down to us from heaven by the generous mercy of our gracious government. And you better be compliant or else. You bold little children who'd still be soiling yourselves if we didn't tell you how to get out of bed in the morning.

Or maybe cabin fever is getting to me and I'm easily triggered. I will not deny that that's a possibility.

Surely any private enterprise (which most golf clubs are) can do as they see fit as long they don't flout the lockdown rules?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I'd imagine normal government restrictions should apply ie over 70's still have to cocoon and nobody to travel over the 5km. Not having the over 70's should keep them safe and free up slots on the course for everyone else.

But where exactly in the government restrictions do they recommend that over 70s don't choose golf as their exercise? Do they state in an unambiguous fashion the duration of exercise?

They don't. Hence why golf clubs can't prevent over 70s playing.

As for the 5km restrictions.. well that will be up to the Gardaí to police and not golf clubs.

HighLine wrote: »
    But where exactly in the government restrictions do they recommend that over 70s don't choose golf as their exercise? Do they state in an unambiguous fashion the duration of exercise?

As for the 5km restrictions.. well that will be up to the Gardaí to police and not golf clubs.

They do specifically recommend that the exercise is solitary for over 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

HighLine wrote: »

Well the over 70's are in the very high risk category and have to cocoon. They advise on the HSE website is

"You need to cocoon.

Stay at home at all times. Avoid face-to-face contact. Minimise all non-essential contact with other members of your household"

I'd imagine this won't be amended allow them off to of play a round of golf.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

http://www.hassettconsidine.ie/published-articles/36-february-2010-sports-clubs-and-the-law.html
    The first important point to note is that a member of any sports club who voluntarily participates in club activities accepts the risks that are inherent in the sport or activity itself. There is no legal obligation on the club to provide insurance cover, so the responsibility of ensuring that cover is in place rests with the individual member. Therefore, if a member is registered on a team and participates in training or games then he or she does so at his or her own risk.

The club rules/ constitution will contain sections on membership and in the vast majority of cases there will be a requirement that a subscription be paid annually in order to qualify as a full member. Although it is every club's ambition to ensure that all of its members are fully paid up members, this is often not the case. If an unregistered member is allowed onto club property, he or she will be a member of the Public. In the event of any such person sustaining an injury on club property, he or she will most likely identify the club trustees and executive as Defendants because in most cases they are the legal owners of the club property.

I’m aware and involved in loads of members that took legal action against there own club for a very wide range of reasons and won damages.

Examples, injury, defamation.

But as you can already see no clubs is going to enforce it because been at the club is not against the law.

Ok thats for accidents. But I do remember cleerly someone sueing their club over other things. Wasn't there this slander case where someone thought him getting an extra handicap cut was akin to the club calling him a cheat?

I don't see where people get this over 70s thing from. Everything regarding over 70s is advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Having read through the protocol it looks like the GUI bawked at including the government restrictions or at least a clear reference to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Ok thats for accidents. But I do remember cleerly someone sueing their club over other things. Wasn't there this slander case where someone thought him getting an extra handicap cut was akin to the club calling him a cheat?

You are correct. A member of a renowned parkland in Dublin's southwest took a case against the club, whom he accused of blackening his name by reviewing his handicap. Case was eventually dismissed.

• Advertisement

Yes, I remember that case. I think the guy who sued lost in the end. I also remember another case where someone who was hit by a golf ball sued the guy who hit the shot. The case revolved around whether a warning of FORE was called or not. It eventually ended up in the High Court where it was thrown out.
    It would be a strange turn of events if someone claimed that they were infected by another player who should not have been playing, (according to the recommendations)..............but stranger things have happened!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement