Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

That is absolutely correct.Many people will glance through it and see no reference to 5km or over 70s and assume that restrictions don't apply.

If people think that then they are idiots and I'd be suprised if they can read at all if they are struggling to understand why the GUI can do nothing about Government restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That is absolutely correct.Many people will glance through it and see no reference to 5km or over 70s and assume that restrictions don't apply.

Why would anyone think that?
    How many seats do the GUI have in the dail or the seanad?

This thread is unbelievable lads

The country has a 5km restriction. There is nothing that any body can do to change that, other than the body who imposed it.

Why anyone would think that a bunch of lads representing golfers could do anything is bizarre. The only, only thing the GUI could have done was recommend a distance under 5km.

Keep talking like this and that's what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Tell me what is the government’s position on the over 70s?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Again you arent answering my question regarding what is the "big question for golfers over the past week"?

What is it that the GUI could tell them that the government hasnt already?
    It's inconsistent Greebo. They're happy to tell people to social distance, wash their hands, use the toilet before heading for the golf club, restrict playing to members only, but stop short of saying which members are eligible. The problem with not mentioning this issue makes it ambiguous. In a reply on Twitter that I quoted earlier, they said it was government policy. It's not policy, it's statute law. More ambiguity where clear guidance is required.

All sports have aspects that are governed by law. Child protection for instance. Governing bodies not only refer to the law, but actively educate their members on it. Data protection is another. Is this any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Its pretty clear and outlined on Gov.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

GreeBo wrote: »
    The GUI have no control over the current 5km law that exists within Ireland...why would they reference something that they have no control over?

Whats the ambiguty? Do you think that if the GUI said 10Km that you could travel 10KM to play golf and ignore the current laws of the country?

Question for you Greebo. Garden centres open the same day as golf courses. Are they only open to people within 5km?

Genuine question, I dont know the answer. If I can travel 25km to a garden centre, then surely I can for golf too.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

If golf club members wish to travel more than 5km to play golf that's up to them. It's not up to the GUI, individual golf clubs or other golfers to police this. It's the Gardai's job to police the country, so let them get on with.
    There's no law which says over 70's have to stay indoors. It's just a recommendation.
    How hard is it to understand this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭blackbox

Blud wrote: »
    Question for you Greebo. Garden centres open the same day as golf courses. Are they only open to people within 5km?

Genuine question, I dont know the answer. If I can travel 25km to a garden centre, then surely I can for golf too.

As things stand, there is no exemption to the travel restrictions for garden centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    If golf club members wish to travel more than 5km to play golf that's up to them. It's not up to the GUI, individual golf clubs or other golfers to police this. It's the Gardai's job to police the country, so let them get on with.
    There's no law which says over 70's have to stay indoors. It's just a recommendation.
    How hard is it to understand this?

I find it hard to understand why a governing body that has had to issue a protocol to link up with current emergency restrictions fails to mention the actual government guidance.

Is it purposely omitted is what I am trying to understand and if so why has it been omitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Over 70's have been told to cocoon. I doubt that will be lifted before golf resumes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Over 70's have been told to cocoon. I doubt that will be lifted before golf resumes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Its pretty clear and outlined on Gov.ie

Just asking you the question. If you don’t know then fair enough.
    As far as I know over 70s were only advised.
    It’s none of the GUIs business to comment on over 70s, they don’t need to.
    Same for the travel distance. We all know what it is.

I don’t see what the problem is in relation to the GUI.

Strongly advised is the term.

The GUI can’t say or do anything different.
    The over 70 can go and play if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Strongly advised is the term.

The GUI can’t say or do anything different.
    The over 70 can go and play if they want to.
    The way I see it, they can play golf. Providing it's within the distance and (as advised) they don't stop to engage with or talk to people, a walk on the golf course with their clubs is no different to any other walk. But again, no mention of this in the protocols and we appear to have many different opinions on this thread on the subject.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The way I see it, they can play golf. Providing it's within the distance and (as advised) they don't stop to engage with or talk to people, a walk on the golf course with their clubs is no different to any other walk. But again, no mention of this in the protocols and we appear to have many different opinions on this thread on the subject.

That’s what I think to. I can’t see what other options others are getting mixed up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Just asking you the question. If you don’t know then fair enough.
    As far as I know over 70s were only advised.
    It’s none of the GUIs business to comment on over 70s, they don’t need to.
    Same for the travel distance. We all know what it is.

I don’t see what the problem is in relation to the GUI.

I never said I didnt know.I know perfectly well what the position is.

My only point is and I have been consistent in saying that it will become a major image problem for golf if golfers choose to ignore the 5km law and the strong advisory for over 70s.
    Actions taken by people in the first Phase of relaxation of restrictions will come under a lot of media scrutiny and numerous instances/reports of flouting regulations could well result in changes to the relaxation of restrictions.
    Some of the guidelines in the protocol are way over the top and its laughable in the context that the golfers supposed to be abiding by them could well be in breach of legislation and ignoring advise by even getting to the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Carazy wrote: »
    I find it hard to understand why a governing body that has had to issue a protocol to link up with current emergency restrictions fails to mention the actual government guidance.

Is it purposely omitted is what I am trying to understand and if so why has it been omitted?

Because it goes without saying. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

blackbox wrote: »
    As things stand, there is no exemption to the travel restrictions for garden centres.

And I am guessing nobody expects the centre in Johnstown to police the law by turning away what will be half of south Dublin? So why would the GUI get involved in policing it for golf?

And nobody on the gardening forum is wringing their hands over the image that this will have on the gardening community despite the absolute inevitability of the 5km not being respected in that instance.

Any self image problems golf has continued to be of golfers own making and, in a lot of cases, golfers own imagination too. Reality is shag all people give a fiddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Like us all I was dying to get back playing (moreso in my case because I haven’t played since October) and had already taken the decision to play alone early in the morning for a few weeks (for the practise and because I’m in an at-risk category). I’m still gutted now because while I’m well outside the 5km limit – I will be driving past the gate on the days I need to go into work.

But I’m not going to play until the next phase. I can’t see my club vetting everyone to see who is eligible to play or not – but we are all members of a club – why would I put a fellow member (be they on the committee or not) in the position of having to decide whether to say something or not, or make them feel awkward, or annoy them because of the risk of golf being closed again due to non-compliance. That’s just being selfish and not acting in the interest of the club, or indeed the sport, as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Hypothetical question; if I declare myself a professional golfer and my work place is outdoors, i.e.the golf course, then I can legally travel to work at the golf club irrespective of distance on May 18th?
    Obviously won't do that because getting amateur status back would be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

martinkop wrote: »
    Hypothetical question; if I declare myself a professional golfer and my work place is outdoors, i.e.the golf course, then I can legally travel to work at the golf club irrespective of distance on May 18th?
    Obviously won't do that because getting amateur status back would be difficult.

Is there a professional event you can play in? The answer is no to this and hence no to your question

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I never said I didnt know.I know perfectly well what the position is.

My only point is and I have been consistent in saying that it will become a major image problem for golf if golfers choose to ignore the 5km law and the strong advisory for over 70s.
    Actions taken by people in the first Phase of relaxation of restrictions will come under a lot of media scrutiny and numerous instances/reports of flouting regulations could well result in changes to the relaxation of restrictions.
    Some of the guidelines in the protocol are way over the top and its laughable in the context that the golfers supposed to be abiding by them could well be in breach of legislation and ignoring advise by even getting to the course.

I think you are correct. Anecdotally, I think the 5km is going to be ignored wholesale. I live within a couple of KM of my course but have heard that a lot of lads will be playing who live 25/30 km from the course. This could really come back on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Society is definitely opening up already. I can see it all around. Neighbour's familys coming and going who weren't before, roads a bit busier too.

I don't think golf/golfers will be picked out for criticism solely as the restrictions are being widely broken.

Carazy wrote: »

Can you tell me what difference it would make if they did reference it? What would it change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

This thread is heading for the same place as the other one, over the exact same reason with the same questions,answers and statements being made.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing posts in the How Did You Score, Pictures, Society and Looking for a Game threads and this statement signifies the beginning of it.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    This thread is heading for the same place as the other one, over the exact same reason with the same questions,answers and statements being made.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing posts in the How Did You Score, Pictures, Society and Looking for a Game threads and this statement signifies the beginning of it.

At least so far it's civil with people arguing rather than insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Society is definitely opening up already. I can see it all around. Neighbour's familys coming and going who weren't before, roads a bit busier too.

I don't think golf/golfers will be picked out for criticism solely as the restrictions are being widely broken.

Agreed

Mate works in Dublin and said today it was the busiest he has seen the roads, and for the first time since it started he wasn't stopped by the coppers

Beach was the busiest I've seen it this year despite it being closed to cars

Should peeps follow 5 km rule? , it's personal choice

If your partner comes from more than 5 km, personal choice to play with him or not

Should 70s plus follow guidance - also personal choice

Too many peeps on Boards only too happy to concern themselves with other people's business

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

antgal23 wrote: »
    Agreed

Mate works in Dublin and said today it was the busiest he has seen the roads, and for the first time since it started he wasn't stopped by the coppers

Should peeps follow 5 km rule? , it's personal choice

If your partner comes from more than 5 km, personal choice to play with him or not

Should 70s plus follow guidance - also personal choice

Too many peeps on Boards only too happy to concern themselves with other people's business

It's not a bank holiday so the guards won't be out said a neighbour who headed off at 10.30 this morning with his family.
    They're still not back so they're either arrested or still in Lough Key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

antgal23 wrote: »
    Agreed

I was working in Dublin for about 4 hours this morning. Roads had maybe more cars but not by a lot, more vans and trucks on a Sat than I've seen in a while.

I went through 4 checkpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

I just wonder is there going to be this mad rush to play golf from the 18th. Will timesheets be full. Will courses be overrun. I have my doubts. I'm outside the 5Km but I wouldn't go anyway. I also know 2 plus 70's who live inside the 5 km but both have said that they won't be playing golf for the forseeable future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement