Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I just wonder is there going to be this mad rush to play golf from the 18th. Will timesheets be full. Will courses be overrun. I have my doubts. I'm outside the 5Km but I wouldn't go anyway. I also know 2 plus 70's who live inside the 5 km but both have said that they won't be playing golf for the forseeable future.
    My first day off after lockdown will be the 21st, hopefully I can get a game. I'd imagine clubs will need to implement some process to allow everyone to get a fair chance at a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

If any club decides to go outside the recommendations given say for example allowing 4 balls, what sanctions could the gui impose?
    I have been told a club in the west are supposedly going to do just that but again this I cannot confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You are not very clear on why the time is an issue? Is it because not enough people can play?

Sorry, yes, this is my issue. I should have been clearer.

We just had our club communication coming through in an email.
    We signed up to the protocol and we will do 3 balls only, 14 minutes. Must be booked with full names, must be advised by starter etcpp No exceptions. No sneaking out for a quiet 9 in the evening when no ones there.

That restricts it to a limited number of players each day.
    A significant number of members is retired or on COVID leave and with golf being the only outlet tee times will be very very hard to get. Especially if you're still working yourself, but I won't complain about that. ;)

Golf is the one sport where 3 or 4 players have a playing area the size of a few soccer pitches for themselves. Ok there are possible chokepoints but few and far between and with the awareness that everyone now has this should not be an issue. But somehow they arrived at the conclusion that the mere possibility of two groups encountering each other in any way is too much of a risk.

I'm really struggling to see why. Are they really worried that 2 groups of 3 golfers couldn't pass each other without an infection risk? Are they worried about car parks? Is it for optics/PR? I really have no idea.

It seems such an over-the-top nanny move.

Which would be something I could follow during phase 1 maybe. But these guys won't have us back to normal by August even.

If any club decides to go outside the recommendations given say for example allowing 4 balls, what sanctions could the gui impose?
    I have been told a club in the west are supposedly going to do just that but again this I cannot confirm.

I was wondering about that too. I thought phase 1 allowed groups of 4 outside. Which is the perfect number for golf right? Why self impose a limit of 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Just got email from my club. No mention of 5km restriction

• Advertisement

Oh yes forgot to mention that. No mention of 5km and 70s in my club's communication either. I'd say the are actually advised not to.

And to be fair they shouldn't have to especially if its a potential mine field which it is. The legal side is totally clear on both questions so why should the GUI or the club get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I was wondering about that too. I thought phase 1 allowed groups of 4 outside. Which is the perfect number for golf right? Why self impose a limit of 3?
    Obviously guessing here, but I'd say that the GUI put a lot of things in their submission to government in order to get golf included in phase 1 and this was part of a package of measures to ensure clubs wouldn't be crowded.

Oh yes forgot to mention that. No mention of 5km and 70s in my club's communication either. I'd say the are actually advised not to.

And to be fair they shouldn't have to especially if its a potential mine field which it is. The legal side is totally clear on both questions so why should the GUI or the club get involved.
    Clubs haven't received anything different from what's on GolfNet. Literally nothing.

So not mentioning 5km or over 70s when the GUI didnt is just common sense then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

5km is the law of the land.
    GUI dead right not to allude to it in their comms. They only should offer guidance for when you arrive to the golf club. Not about before or after

• Advertisement

So not mentioning 5km or over 70s when the GUI didnt is just common sense then.
    Absolutely. The GUI don't want to take a lead on this, clubs will just follow suit.

willabur wrote: »
    5km is the law of the land.
    GUI dead right not to allude to it in their comms. They only should offer guidance for when you arrive to the golf club. Not about before or after
    They're telling people to go to the jacks before heading off to the club. Probably necessary if you're going on a long trip I suppose. ;)

I agree with other posters on limiting play to 9 holes if demand is going to be significant. Especially during the week. I'm really only interested in playing 9 holes a couple of times a week anyway until competition golf returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sorry, yes, this is my issue. I should have been clearer.

We just had our club communication coming through in an email.
    We signed up to the protocol and we will do 3 balls only, 14 minutes. Must be booked with full names, must be advised by starter etcpp No exceptions. No sneaking out for a quiet 9 in the evening when no ones there.

That restricts it to a limited number of players each day.
    A significant number of members is retired or on COVID leave and with golf being the only outlet tee times will be very very hard to get. Especially if you're still working yourself, but I won't complain about that. ;)

Golf is the one sport where 3 or 4 players have a playing area the size of a few soccer pitches for themselves. Ok there are possible chokepoints but few and far between and with the awareness that everyone now has this should not be an issue. But somehow they arrived at the conclusion that the mere possibility of two groups encountering each other in any way is too much of a risk.

I'm really struggling to see why. Are they really worried that 2 groups of 3 golfers couldn't pass each other without an infection risk? Are they worried about car parks? Is it for optics/PR? I really have no idea.

It seems such an over-the-top nanny move.

Which would be something I could follow during phase 1 maybe. But these guys won't have us back to normal by August even.

You are only focusing on the actual playing. The restrictions are to limit the number of people in contact: in the car park
    In the pro shop
    Checking in before play
    In the bathrooms
    On the putting green
    At the practice area
    Arounfb the first tee

Basically they want 1 group teeing off while the next group pretty much arrive at the course

Why can't you get out for a quiet 9 by putting your name down first? If the course is empty then the sheet is empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

There was no way they could say to clubs to enforce the 5km can u imagine the mess that would have been.

I think limiting it to 12 golfers a hour arriving and playing is a bit too harsh, people used to arrive early to have a chat, coffee hit some putts I honestly think 10 mins would have been better.

2/3 tee starts for 9 holes defeats the purpose and shouldn't be allowed it means twice the number arriving and leaving the carpark around the same time.

It's designed to have 6 people in the carpark at any time, 3 finishing up heading back to their car and 3 getting ready to go out.

mike12 wrote: »
    There was no way they could say to clubs to enforce the 5km can u imagine the mess that would have been.

I think limiting it to 12 golfers a hour arriving and playing is a bit too harsh, people used to arrive early to have a chat, coffee hit some putts I honestly think 10 mins would have been better.

2/3 tee starts for 9 holes defeats the purpose and shouldn't be allowed it means twice the number arriving and leaving the carpark around the same time.

It's designed to have 6 people in the carpark at any time, 3 finishing up heading back to their car and 3 getting ready to go out.
    I don't think anyone was expecting clubs to actually enforce the 5Km rule. It's not their role. Just that the GUI would perhaps mention it instead of putting their hand over their eyes and pointing vaguely at government websites saying "That THING over there".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was expecting clubs to actually enforce the 5Km rule. It's not their role. Just that the GUI would perhaps mention it instead of putting their hand over their eyes and pointing vaguely at government websites saying "That THING over there".

Oh I think there were a few who did think that. There was one poster over on the other thread who said he worked for one course who had already gone through their list of members and disabled booking on BRS for anyone outside the 5km.

I suggested that was a crazy idea. It will be interesting to see if they have a change of heart in light of the since published GUI protocols.

HighLine wrote: »
    Oh I think there were a few who did think that. There was one poster over on the other thread who said he worked for one course who had already gone through their list of members and disabled booking on BRS for anyone outside the 5km.

I suggested that was a crazy idea. It will be interesting to see if they have a change of heart in light of the since published GUI protocols.

They must be a big and popular club. Members told take the hump and leave if that happens to them.

HighLine wrote: »

It was actually two iirc. But I meant generally rather than a couple of outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I don't think the club should be policing who's over 70 and who doesn't live within 5km. People should be able to use their own common sense.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I don't think the club should be policing who's over 70 and who doesn't live within 5km. People should be able to use their own common sense.
    I don't believe there's any guidance, rule or law that prevents over 70s playing golf. Apart from the 5Km limit obviously.

GreeBo wrote: »
    You are only focusing on the actual playing. The restrictions are to limit the number of people in contact: in the car park
    In the pro shop
    Checking in before play
    In the bathrooms
    On the putting green
    At the practice area
    Arounfb the first tee

Basically they want 1 group teeing off while the next group pretty much arrive at the course

Why can't you get out for a quiet 9 by putting your name down first? If the course is empty then the sheet is empty?

Don't see what's different to the supermarket car park.
    Pro shop is closed anyway.
    There is no checking in really.
    Bathrooms ok.
    Putting green is closed anyway.
    So is practice area.

In any case there is plenty for room for all of that without people ending up in a scrum even if there is more than 3 people around. And plenty of room for personal responsibility and common sense behaviour. We're not actually a bumbling mess having to be lined up in pairs waiting for the teacher to call us up when its our turn or having to be shown how to use a bathroom.

Don't see what's different to the supermarket car park.
    Pro shop is closed anyway.
    There is no checking in really.
    Bathrooms ok.
    Putting green is closed anyway.
    So is practice area.

In any case there is plenty for room for all of that without people ending up in a scrum even if there is more than 3 people around. And plenty of room for personal responsibility and common sense behaviour. We're not actually a bumbling mess having to be lined up in pairs waiting for the teacher to call us up when its our turn or having to be shown how to use a bathroom.
    You're probably around your car for a lot longer at the golf club than at a supermarket. Both arriving and leaving.

So?

So?
    There's a difference. You said you couldn't see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

In stark contrast to the GUI I must commend Tennis Ireland on their protocol.
    It highlights all the government's guidelines clearly and sets out clear guidance to both clubs and players.

No ambiguity whatsoever in comparison to the GUI.

Have a read of it below:
    https://www.tennisireland.ie/2020/05/08/covid-19-return-to-tennis-guidance/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Carazy wrote: »
    It highlights all the government's guidelines clearly and sets out clear guidance to both clubs and players.

Have a read of it below:

Maybe the GUI have more faith in their members, that they’ll have enough cop on and intelligence, to follow the guidelines set out by the government and public health?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There's a difference. You said you couldn't see one.

Fair enough. A significant difference I meant. Plus you may or may not be at your car longer, who knows. Someone who has a big trolley and 2 kids to load into the car may also take quite long.

Fair enough. A significant difference I meant. Plus you may or may not be at your car longer, who knows. Someone who has a big trolley and 2 kids to load into the car may also take quite long.
    Remember you've got to put your shoes on at your car as well now. And obviously take them off when leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Carazy wrote: »

Have a read of it below:

That's impressive from Tennis Ireland, at least they were brave enough to say that the over 70's should stay at home and cocoon for now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement