Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Rackstar wrote: »
    Maybe the GUI have more faith in their members, that they’ll have enough cop on and intelligence, to follow the guidelines set out by the government and public health?
    Ah here! :D

We're all the same people in the same country. No sport has a monopoly on intelligence. Or stupidity for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Remember you've got to put your shoes on at your car as well now. And obviously take them off when leaving.

Sh1t. I was planning to put them on in my kitchen and drive over wearing them. There goes that out the window. I'm glad I was told how do it properly, I could have easily missed that.

Sorry not sniping at you. Just my whole sentiment with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Ah here! :D

We're all the same people in the same country. No sport has a monopoly on intelligence. Or stupidity for that matter.

:D

Exactly, everyone knows what the restrictions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

If go to stay with one of my children on Sunday 17 and they are within the 5 km radius can I play golf on the 18 th.?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

hammerdub wrote: »
    If go to stay with one of my children on Sunday 17 and they are within the 5 km radius can I play golf on the 18 th.?

Are your children more than 5km away?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

No within the 5km limit.

Sh1t. I was planning to put them on in my kitchen and drive over wearing them. There goes that out the window. I'm glad I was told how do it properly, I could have easily missed that.

Sorry not sniping at you. Just my whole sentiment with this.
    Well don't forget to go to the jacks too. You were also told to do that. ;)

Well if you can prove to the Gardai that that's your address. They are asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

No within the 5km limit.
    Why are you visiting your children? There is a pandemic going on, restricting movement is the key. Trying to find loopholes in one of the plainest, straightest government directives of all time to get out to play a round of golf or two is plain ridiculous.

willabur wrote:
    Why are you visiting your children? There is a pandemic going on, restricting movement is the key. Trying to find loopholes in one of the plainest, straightest government directives of all time to get out to play a round of golf or two is plain ridiculous.

They don't drive , they do my shopping for me which I collect . I am quite entitled to call to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

Fine, but staying over as a way of circumventing the 5km law so you can play golf...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Bring a shopping list with you if you're going outside 5km for your round...

Joking aside, the government should be helping the GUI/Clubs out by clarifying the issue. The 5km is in place, that part is clear but it's also clear that they are gradually loosening restrictions. If Garden Centres are to reopen on May 18th, and people are allowed travel over 5km to them, then I would have expected that reopening golf clubs on May 18th would have fallen under the same thinking/guidelines.

It's not exactly easy for the Government though, as they more or less said, putting restrictions in place is the easy bit, opening things up is the hard part.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Roger_007 wrote: »
    That must have been a different case.
    The one I was thinking of involved two male players.

Was old conna case right?

PARlance wrote: »

Joking aside, the government should be helping the GUI/Clubs out by clarifying the issue. The 5km is in place, that part is clear but it's also clear that they are gradually loosening restrictions. If Garden Centres are to reopen on May 18th, and people are allowed travel over 5km to them, then I would have expected that reopening golf clubs on May 18th would have fallen under the same thinking/guidelines.

It's not exactly easy for the Government though, as they more or less said, putting restrictions in place is the easy bit, opening things up is the hard part.
    You should read the Tennis Ireland guidance linked above. Separate advice for clubs, coaches and players. And all restrictions listed. So they seem clear on what the government expect. And are clearly communicating it.

PARlance wrote: »

Only reason to be outsider 5km is for essential services like shopping,.. golf is exercise not essential

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

There’s some serious absence of common sense running through this thread.

We don’t need government guidance.

The difference in a human being’s potential to catch / spread infection after travelling 4.95k or 9.95k is none. Similarly there is no difference between 4.95k and 14.95k.

Furthermore if the gates of a golf course happen to be 4.95k from your car port, then you’re going to spend most of the afternoon walking around outside the 5k limit and therefore “breaking the law”.

In none of these cases is a Garda going to jump out of a bush and put you in bracelets. Nor should they.

The purpose of the 5k radius is not to stop one man going on a journey to a field for a walk. The purpose is to deter people, especially families, from flippantly jumping into cars, spending their afternoon in another town/village, and leaving behind or picking up the infection, and therefore elongating the cycle.

There likely is a non-arbitrary travelling distance for golf, whereby the golfer is making a completely unnecessary journey, having passed several other courses to get there.

But if it’s members only for the next 3 weeks, that group of people will be a minuscule percentage of the overall. Not enough to get excited about.

Keep it members only. Forcefully close any club that bends this policy.

That’s just common sense.

Some of you would cross the road when common sense appears on the same side.

thewobbler wrote: »

It's law, not guidance. Section 31A of the Health Act and SI No. 153 of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

It's law, not guidance. Section 31A of the Health Act and SI No. 153 of 2020.

People keep asking for guidance on this thread, to add clarification to the law.

But nitpick all you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Carazy wrote: »
    In stark contrast to the GUI I must commend Tennis Ireland on their protocol.
    It highlights all the government's guidelines clearly and sets out clear guidance to both clubs and players.

No ambiguity whatsoever in comparison to the GUI.

Have a read of it below:
    https://www.tennisireland.ie/2020/05/08/covid-19-return-to-tennis-guidance/

Angling associations also clearly outlining the necessity for members to stay within the distance guidelines.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ncffi/status/1258021260082192389

The GUI are the only governing body of the three sports permitted to return (golf, tennis and fishing) that do not specify the distance a member may travel in order to partake in the activity specifically in their protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Angling associations also clearly outlining the necessity for members to stay within the distance guidelines.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ncffi/status/1258021260082192389

The GUI are the only governing body of the three sports permitted to return (golf, tennis and fishing) that do not specify the distance a member may travel in order to partake in the activity specifically in their protocol.

Incase you missed it, it’s 5km for golf.

• Advertisement

People keep asking for guidance on this thread, to add clarification to the law.

But nitpick all you like.
    There have been lots of posters referring to guidance, not knowing that its actual statute law. And also confused as to whether 'cocooning' was guidance or law. So yes, it may be nitpicking, but referring to government 'guidance' where you're actually talking about law requires clarification.

And the rest of your post didn't exactly fill me with confidence that you knew what you were referring to.

The difference in a human being’s potential to catch / spread infection after travelling 4.95k or 9.95k is none. Similarly there is no difference between 4.95k and 14.95k.

Furthermore if the gates of a golf course happen to be 4.95k from your car port, then you’re going to spend most of the afternoon walking around outside the 5k limit and therefore “breaking the law”.

In none of these cases is a Garda going to jump out of a bush and put you in bracelets. Nor should they.

The purpose of the 5k radius is not to stop one man going on a journey to a field for a walk. The purpose is to deter people, especially families, from flippantly jumping into cars, spending their afternoon in another town/village, and leaving behind or picking up the infection, and therefore elongating the cycle.

There likely is a non-arbitrary travelling distance for golf, whereby the golfer is making a completely unnecessary journey, having passed several other courses to get there.

But if it’s members only for the next 3 weeks, that group of people will be a minuscule percentage of the overall. Not enough to get excited about.

Keep it members only. Forcefully close any club that bends this policy.

That’s just common sense.

Some of you would cross the road when common sense appears on the same side.

Yes but the 5km is a law and if people choose to ignore it’s on them and any risk that maybe given out..
    The rule is there to avoid gangs at popular areas
    And to avoid potential community spread that becomes harder to track which right now is low but increasing as people go more towards larger journeys and towards normal.,.,

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Yes but the 5km is a law and if people choose to ignore it’s on them and any risk that maybe given out..
    The rule is there to avoid gangs at popular areas
    And to avoid potential community spread that becomes harder to track which right now is low but increasing as people go more towards larger journeys and towards normal.,.,
    Yeah, Germany looks like they could have come out of lockdown too early. Rate of infection up to 1.1 according to an article I read this morning. That's very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Rackstar wrote: »
    Incase you missed it, it’s 5km for golf.

I missed it in the GUI protocol bit didn't miss it in either Tennis Ireland's or the Angling Association's protocol.

I missed it in the GUI protocol bit didn't miss it in either Tennis Ireland's or the Angling Association's protocol.
    It's in the GUI one in the "Don't look here, look over there" section on page 3.

Yeah, Germany looks like they could have come out of lockdown too early. Rate of infection up to 1.1 according to an article I read this morning. That's very worrying.

Complacency will be hard as people won’t want to go back to harsher Lockdown and look
    In any park this weekend it was packed with loads of larger groups.
    Singapore where they are so strict let up
    For 10 days and spiked again

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Complacency will be hard as people won’t want to go back to harsher Lockdown and look
    In any park this weekend it was packed with loads of larger groups.
    Singapore where they are so strict let up
    For 10 days and spiked again
    Is it Singapore that have the robot dogs patrolling the parks? Could have been a spoof tbf, but saw a couple of videos and they looked gas.

Edit: Yes it is. And not a spoof going by a Reuters report.

Is it Singapore that have the dog robots patrolling the parks? Could have been a spoof tbf, but saw a couple of videos and they looked gas.

They are in total lockdown again and more cases than us.. was only 1100 2 weeks ago..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Once again we have gone massively off topic. By all means discuss the GUI statement but this isn’t the COVID-19 forum, it’s still a golf forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ah well however one may think about some detail, the good news is its actually happening. We'll be playing next week. And talk to people outside your household. Share a joke or just talk sh1te. I'm am so looking forward to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement