Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUI Statement - Mod warning #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I have just read through the whole of this thread and main reaction is wow! It's so obvious that most people are just so frustrated at the lockdown and taking it out on the GUI.

The vast majority of us cannot legally play. It's the pits. Especially as the weather is so nice and none of us have played in months. And to think that a small and lucky bunch can play makes it even worse.

I live 12km from my course. I had booked a game for May 22nd, intending to break the 5km limit but my conscience has got the better of me and I will be cancelling.

We will all just have to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

One of my neighbours is a member in my club. Passed him on the way out for a walk yesterday and stopped for a chat.

He said that he reckons that theres maybe a max of 20-40 members of our club living within 5km of the club, so they'd technically have the course to themselves and have no issues with social distancing.

The club have issued more a holding statement for now saying they'll send out finalised guidelines during the week for the procedures they are putting in place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Carazy wrote: »
    I missed it in the GUI protocol bit didn't miss it in either Tennis Ireland's or the Angling Association's protocol.

Here you go, page 5 "Golfers are expected to observe the underlying public health guidance set out at: www.hse.ie/coronavirus/ and www.gov.ie."

"exercise outdoors - within 5 kilometres of your home and only with people from your household - keeping 2 metres between you and other people"

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

There is also the situation where people from Northern Ireland who are members of golf courses in the Republic can drive across border travelling more than 5km to play golf on May 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Looks like golf could be open in the UK from Wednesday if I read it correctly, u can drive anywhere and play sport with members of your own family.
    So if u are within 5 miles of the border u could be in luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Our time sheets open in 13 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Kiith wrote: »
    Our time sheets open in 13 minutes!

Let us know how busy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ours dont open till Wednesday. Seems a bit late but then again what's the rush

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Let us know how busy it is.

I'd say all tee times will be gone in an hour.

Every slot had someone booked within about 2 minutes, most of them with full 3 balls. I suspect it will be completely full in the next 10 mins or so.

3:12pm on the 18th...ah man, so good to be nearly back! :D

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Every slot had someone booked within about 2 minutes, most of them with full 3 balls. I suspect it will be completely full in the next 10 mins or so.

3:12pm on the 18th...ah man, so good to be nearly back! :D

Are all the slots in 14 mins segments?

Yeah, 14 min segments of 3 balls.

And it's full. Took around 11 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

If all slots are filled how is your club dealing with 60 people only allowed to be on the course over 18 holes at one time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Booked 9.52 on the 21st and 10.30 on the Saturday. Thursday had an empty slot soni grabbed it to let others join instead of imposing. Saturday had none at a reasonable time so joined a group which im hoping will be alright .

Still a good few slots but I just checked to see if the sheets were open by chance and it already had a good few names on.

The new running 3 balls and the Old course 2balls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭redarmy

The UK Government has announced that golf will be able to resume in England on Wednesday, 13 May 2020. All outdoor sport must be done alone or within a household group and that includes golf. There is no change to the current position in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales and so golf courses in these countries must remain closed for now.

redarmy wrote: »
    The UK Government has announced that golf will be able to resume in England on Wednesday, 13 May 2020. All outdoor sport must be done alone or within a household group and that includes golf. There is no change to the current position in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales and so golf courses in these countries must remain closed for now.

Only out in 1 balls. 😰

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

It will be interesting to see if there are many Garda checkpoints near golf courses on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

redarmy wrote: »

How in hell is that going to work. Max 10 people a hour at best, 100 per day. There will be war at some clubs. Perhaps the more detailed documentation tomorrow will clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Down9194 wrote: »
    How in hell is that going to work. Max 10 people a hour at best, 100 per day. There will be war at some clubs. Perhaps the more detailed documentation tomorrow will clarify.

I'd say there'll be alot of golf buddies suddenly living in the same household..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

. We're not actually a bumbling mess having to be lined up in pairs waiting for the teacher to call us up when its our turn or having to be shown how to use a bathroom.

Aren't we?
    These threads would lead me to believe that this is exactly what we are, complete with the bold kids who always push the limits.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's law, not guidance. Section 31A of the Health Act and SI No. 153 of 2020.

And yet you have an issue with the GUI for not giving you this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

johntommy wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if there are many Garda checkpoints near golf courses on the 18th.

If they read this thread i would imagine there will be some strategically placed checkpoints would not be surprised if they even went into the car-parks of some of the busier clubs to do spot checks

I missed it in the GUI protocol bit didn't miss it in either Tennis Ireland's or the Angling Association's protocol.

Did you miss it on every national newspaper or tv or on the internet or the 4 billion times it's been written on boards.ie?

You've yet to explain what difference it would make to have the gui repeat the law for you?
    Do you believe the gui could post something that contradicts the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    And yet you have an issue with the GUI for not giving you this information?
    Well not actually with them giving it to me. As I clearly know it. But judging by this thread and the other one, you'd be forgiven for thinking it's not universal. Even the GUI in a tweet called it government 'policy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

If they read this thread i would imagine there will be some strategically placed checkpoints would not be surprised if they even went into the car-parks of some of the busier clubs to do spot checks

The busiest probably Stackstown and Westmanstown

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Did you miss it on every national newspaper or tv or on the internet or the 4 billion times it's been written on boards.ie?

You've yet to explain what difference it would make to have the gui repeat the law for you?
    Do you believe the gui could post something that contradicts the law?

I'll repeat my stance once more for clarity.

Three sports were given the opportunity to open prior to or on May 18th.

These were Golf, Fishing and Tennis.
    I have read the three protocols from each governing body (GUI, Tennis Ireland, Coarse Fishing Ireland)

The only governing body which was, in my opinion, intentionally ambiguous was the GUI for the reasons I have previously outlined.

Do you think that the GUI did not intentionally include the distance requirements on their 5 phase diagram?

I'll repeat my stance once more for clarity.

Three sports were given the opportunity to open prior to or on May 18th.

These were Golf, Fishing and Tennis.
    I have read the three protocols from each governing body (GUI, Tennis Ireland, Coarse Fishing Ireland)

The only governing body which was, in my opinion, intentionally ambiguous was the GUI for the reasons I have previously outlined.

Do you think that the GUI did not intentionally include the distance requirements on their 5 phase diagram?

And I'll repeat my questions once again.
    What is ambiguous?
    If the GUI recommended no more than 2km travel would you obey it?
    If the GUI recommended more than 5km travel would you follow it?

There were basically 5 options for the GUI:
    - Word for word quote the 5km restrictions
    - Dont mention them
    - Recommend a smaller restriction
    - Recommend a bigger restriction
    - Reference links to the current laws

The GUI took the 5th option
    "Golfers are expected to observe
    the underlying public health guidance set out at: www.hse.ie/coronavirus/ and www.gov.ie"

But in any case, *irrespective* of what option they took, the laws of Ireland take precedence and I've yet to see a single, coherent argument on here as to what would be any different if the GUI took a different option.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well not actually with them giving it to me. As I clearly know it. But judging by this thread and the other one, you'd be forgiven for thinking it's not universal. Even the GUI in a tweet called it government 'policy'.

But even if its not universal, why would you go to a golf body to find out the laws of your country?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

But in any case, *irrespective* of what option they took, the laws of Ireland take precedence and I've yet to see a single, coherent argument on here as to what would be any different if the GUI took a different option.

i feel like some people are gearing up to use the exclusion of the 5km to back up some kind of argument but i'm not smart enough to figure out what it is yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

But even if its not universal, why would you go to a golf body to find out the laws of your country?
    Why would said body reiterate the social distancing requirements imposed by the government, the hygiene requirements and suggest protocols for implementing them and not mention the thing that not only could further the spread of the virus, but also get their members into trouble with the law? It's inconsistent and (as said above) quite possibly deliberately ambiguous.

And as I've said before, sports bodies generally and golf in particular regularly update members on other areas of law where they intersect with their sports.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement