Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It’s Monday Mourning & we are in the midst of a Sahara Desert if Shocking Statistics:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I am so glad I haven't paid my tv license

cozar wrote: »
    Are there actually people calling to houses selling false teeth??

There was a recent mass murderer in Canada who was a dental technician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

RobertKK wrote: »
    Well that is what they wanted, people offended by the nudity...hilarious that today they could get no one on, depriving the program of oxygen as it is nothing special in my opinion, I know others disagree with me, fine, but some people get caught up in hype and believe something is great because others say it.
    They seemed to get quite a few people the last time it was on.

Let's be honest the sex scenes were pretty tame and normal, realistically awkward.
    Euphoria on HBO now was a different story....

I read the book and have watched the show, I am surprised it has caught on so much, but it covers a lot of really tough areas like mental health, abuse etc, which it's no bad thing to bring up.

I thought the tv show was excellent personally bar episode 9.

This is a joke, they need to promote the program so badly.
    I honestly don't think it needs the promotion I think it got something massive like 350k for the first episode here.
    I think it's better watched as a whole before totally judging it.
    Just checked and it was higher than that 370k+
    Plus it is breaking records on iplayer

pc7 wrote: »
    Is it worth watching? Even for the nookie?

Watched the first episode. Was very slow, all I got was 2 teenagers shifting on a couch.

It's a very honest commentary on the sex and relationship lives of young people.

Apparently the nookie gets 'better', but all the auld ones on complaining, wouldn't have got past the first episode if they weren't interested or looking for something to be outraged about.

• Advertisement

I am so glad I haven't paid my tv license

You’ll be getting a call, caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

gmisk wrote: »
    They seemed to get quite a few people the last time it was on.

Let's be honest the sex scenes were pretty tame and normal, realistically awkward.
    Euphoria on HBO now was a different story....

I read the book and have watched the show, I am surprised it has caught on so much, but it covers a lot of really tough areas like mental health, abuse etc, which it's no bad thing to bring up.

I thought the tv show was excellent personally bar episode 9.

I think people learned to stay quiet, as they know they would look stupid.
    I have no issues with the nudity.
    I just find the program is a struggle to watch, nothing special and I have made an effort. I find the two main characters tiresome and too much work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You’ll be getting a call, caller.

The reminder letters have stopped and the inspector cant call due to covid! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I honestly don't think it needs the promotion I think it got something massive like 350k for the first episode here.
    I think it's better watched as a whole before totally judging it.
    Just checked and it was higher than that 370k+
    Plus it is breaking records on iplayer

Look at all the promotion RTE gave it.
    One couldn't escape it.

I think people learned to stay quiet, as they know they would look stupid.
    I have no issues with the nudity.
    I just find the program is a struggle to watch, nothing special and I have made an effort. I find the two main characters tiresome and too much work.
    It's maybe just a bit too slow for you, as my husband said there isn't a huge amount happens really. That made it more realistic to me personally. The two main characters aren't gonna be for everyone I can agree, but I would say as it goes along you find out a lot more about them which makes them more fully rounded and believable (at least from my point of view).

Anyway back on topic :)

When are Charlies chain of pubs...sorry restaurants opening then?

• Advertisement

Look at all the promotion RTE gave it.
    One couldn't escape it.
    That is kinda what they should be doing no? They probably had to fork out a decent amount for it as well.
    It's not as if they have a tonne of big shows at the minute to promote....I am not saying they have no content but....there was a clip show recently on at primetime fronted by twink...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Long live restrictions!

Personally I don’t mind paying de license in principle, but I do object vehemently to it being spent on paying de absurd fees to likes of Duffy & Tubridy. I can truly say money is being miss-spent.

That is kinda what they should be doing no? They probably had to fork out a decent amount for it as well.
    It's not as if they have a tonne of big shows at the minute to promote....I am not saying they have no content but....there was a clip show recently on at primetime fronted by twink...

They constantly mishandle shows. Bought in Line of Duty(for a tidy sum) from the UK and put it on at half 10 at night. Or.. I could watch it on BBC - and with no ads. I wonder what most people did :rolleyes:

Personally I don’t mind paying de license in principle, but I do object vehemently to it being spent on paying de absurd fees to likes of Duffy & Tubridy. I can truly say money is being miss-spent.

It is the one bill that puts me in bad humour, I really hate paying it.

They constantly mishandle shows. Bought in Line of Duty(for a tidy sum) from the UK and put it on at half 10 at night. Or.. I could watch it on BBC - and with no ads. I wonder what most people did :rolleyes:
    Ha very true.

What a class show that is! I liked normal people but give me season 6 of line of duty please! (Pity corona delaying it being finished)

Ive said it time again, if they made it easier for me to pay I wouldn't care. Netflix is 6.99, gets charged to my card once a month. No interaction from me. And I actually watch very little NetFlix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭furiousox

TV licence can be paid monthly too.
    Think it's about 13 quid per month.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    TV licence can be paid monthly too.
    Think it's about 13 quid per month.

They must have changed it. Last time I looked into it it was a convoluted process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I'm very fortunate. I can't receive Irish TV here. Just have to pay the license fee. Have exemption from looking at it :)

Sometimes I'd turn the thing on for de BBC4 over de Freesat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I never minded paying the license fee coz I always said it was worth it for the gaa coverage.

But now there’s no gaa.

The bill that puts me most in bad humour is the huge income tax I pay on the house I let out. What I could do with circa €6000+, still the €4000 profit I make pays for a very nice trip, so I’m not seriously complaining and I know I’m privileged to be in that position. I do not know how anybody could take out a mortgage for letting. It’s just that the license fee is like chickenfeed in comparison. I remember when all those naive AirBnB property owners were shocked to hear that any such thing as income tax was involved and were attending meetings to object to it. Hilarious, showing themselves up on TV in full view of Revenue, can’t remember if any of them phoned de Lahvlahn.

A year or two ago a TV license inspector called to my apartment. At first he turned up on the video intercom posing as a postman with a parcel to leave in for a neighbour, saying he couldn’t get a response out of them. I buzzed him in and said to leave parcel in the usual place that the An Post drivers do, on a ledge inside the hall. Next moment I heard a ding dong on my door and I opened the door, with the 50” TV clearly visible and on loudly enough. He asked me “do you have a TV?” and I asked him why was he asking that, was he coming in to watch it with me! Next moment I got the “do you have a licence?” query, to which I responded “but you know I do from your records unless there is a complete cock-up on your system”. He informed me of the fine “I owed” and started issuing me with the paperwork, addressed to somebody living at a completely different abode outside of my estate, albeit with similar sound. Didn’t use the Eircode as reference. Now I had full info about a person living in my district who did not pay for a TV license (not that I knew whether or not they had a TV of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

i have bingo card done since sunday my polish gd is a bit grouchy 2day "why u need it cretin u look after baby fk me u crazy." she may also have had a few snow balls also

btw my favorite part of bingo card was listening to the gaggle on about virus early on when one guy said they get a few hundred to be quiet joe exploded
    J:WHO SAID DAT!!? WHICH ONE OF YE SAID DAT!
    glorious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

A year or two ago a TV license inspector called to my apartment. At first he turned up on the video intercom posing as a postman with a parcel to leave in for a neighbour, saying he couldn’t get a response out of them. I buzzed him in and said to leave parcel in the usual place that the An Post drivers do, on a ledge inside the hall. Next moment I heard a ding dong on my door and I opened the door, with the 50” TV clearly visible and on loudly enough. He asked me “do you have a TV?” and I asked him why was he asking that, was he coming in to watch it with me! Next moment I got the “do you have a licence?” query, to which I responded “but you know I do from your records unless there is a complete cock-up on your system”. He informed me of the fine “I owed” and started issuing me with the paperwork, addressed to somebody living at a completely different abode outside of my estate, albeit with similar sound. Didn’t use the Eircode as reference. Now I had full info about a person living in my district who did not pay for a TV license (not that I knew whether or not they had a TV of course).

LOL

Must have thought he was James Bond

Is it legal to pose as somebody else to gain entry to private property?

Also, if they know you owe money, why do they appear in person and ask if you have a tv?

Many people would be anxious about strange fellas appearing at their door these days

LOL

Must have thought he was James Bond

Is it legal to pose as somebody else to gain entry to private property?

Also, if they know you owe money, why do they appear in person and ask if you have a tv?

Many people would be anxious about strange fellas appearing at their door these days

He was in full An Post uniform with ID and appeared like a retired country guard reading off a script. I knew he was almost certainly legit. As regards entering building on false pretence, I did open a thread about it at the time, and was universally slated for even imagining he could possibly be on shaky ground as he was a man of authority an all dat so to speak. Anyway I did report it to An Post, suggesting that they make doubly certain what premises they were at before presenting “the evidence”. It’s a difficult job, and they are probably on shaky legal ground, especially when making up a story to gain entrance to apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭golondrinas

My neighbour can't wait for the pubs to reopen so as to get his drinking under control. Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Same with Mad Men and Damages. Bought in from the US, broadcast at midnight and 12:10am on Tuesday and Thursdays. Same with parks & Recreation and countless other shows.

Head of Programming was on Matt Copper a few years ago. I text the Mad Men example and asked WHOY? Do you want to know what his answer was - and I swear I'm not making this up:

"Sure most people in ireland would have seen it on satellite channels like Sky Atlantic already."

I posted on it here (boards) at the time. Why buy it in then if that's the logic?

My theory on why they do this is so that they can say they tried it and the audience numbers weren't there for it so it's a failure. And here's the kicker - they give SHOYTE like Mrs. Bron's Boys and Killinaskully prime time 8-10pm slots and say look at the strength and suidence numbers of domestic output versus the stuff we buy in - therefore we need more money for domestic programming.......like Normal People so to speak, which they then will publicise almost as much as Mr. Duffy would publicise wan a de bukes so to speak as they say and dat.

• Advertisement

The bill that puts me most in bad humour is the huge income tax I pay on the house I let out. .

Oh I have that bill too caller, had a house before I got married to Mr PC7, then market crashed, so still have it! Could probably have broken even just before CV19 (as our esteemed host would say), but reckon now it'll drop again. Will just ride it out at this stage and hope the smallies might be thankful of it when older.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement