Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut back strawberries?

Options
  • 08-05-2020 4:04pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My strawberry plants from last year survived the winter and are not starting to flower

There are several stems/stalks on them though that are just leaves. (See attached pic)

Should I cut these back to encourage the fruit?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Leaves look healthy to me so I would be reluctant to cut them off. Never heard that cutting leaves off encouraged flowering and it might just damage your plants and not help with the flowering. I heard the commercial growers usually get fresh productive plants in each year so don't have to worry about dealing with the older plants which can become less productive over time. Not sure if yours will flower properly this year but with that much growth they are bound to generate lots of runners to give you fresh plants anyway. Just did a quick search for directions and found these that say to never cut off healthy strawberry leaves. I some times trim off old damaged ones alright and my own strawberries are forming fruit at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks.

I did cut off a load of brown stems and leaves just wasnt sure

They are doing much better than last year for sure :)

Advertisement