Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I might have to repeat 6th year now

Options
  • 08-05-2020 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

My course needs a H6 in maths and that isn't happening.
    My results are

Halloween 5th - 72% (H3)
    Christmas 5th - 41% (H6)
    Summer 5th - 22% (H8)
    Christmas 6th - 34% (H7)
    Mocks 6th - 55% (H5)

I did fine in mocks caused I worked extraordinarily hard in maths but I still think my teacher will predict me a fail because of Christmas 6th and summer 5th

What do you think. I'm so scared. I really don't want to defer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

naxmax9 wrote: »
    My results are

Halloween 5th - 72% (H3)
    Christmas 5th - 41% (H6)
    Summer 5th - 22% (H8)
    Christmas 6th - 34% (H7)
    Mocks 6th - 55% (H5)

I did fine in mocks caused I worked extraordinarily hard in maths but I still think my teacher will predict me a fail because of Christmas 6th and summer 5th

I'm 70 plus and I am in lockdown. I have more sympathy for the Leaving Cert 2020 students than for any other section of society right now. They are In a horrible situation.
    It seems to me that while ensuring everybody's health and safety the only fair solution is to employ all the proposed alternatives, including allowing students to rely on their Junior Cert marks, and let students opt for whichever system suits them best. To ensure that a minimum of pupils fail to get the placing they aspire to, and to alleviate such grievances, lower the qualification bar by, say, 5% just for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

feargale wrote: »
    I'm 70 plus and I am in lockdown. I have more sympathy for the Leaving Cert 2020 students than for any other section of society right now. They are In a horrible situation.
    It seems to me that while ensuring everybody's health and safety the only fair solution is to employ all the proposed alternatives, including allowing students to rely on their Junior Cert marks, and let students opt for whichever system suits them best. To ensure that a minimum of pupils fail to get the placing they aspire to, and to alleviate such grievances, lower the qualification bar by, say, 5% just for this year.

Looking at those results. Do you think a H7 is the most likely outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

My results are

Halloween 5th - 72% (H3)
    Christmas 5th - 41% (H6)
    Summer 5th - 22% (H8)
    Christmas 6th - 34% (H7)
    Mocks 6th - 55% (H5)

To me, that looks like someone who put the head down after their 5th year Summer results, improved at Christmas in 6th year and improved again in the mocks. There is a positive trend there and also the fact most students tend to improve on their mock results. It looks like you have improved at every step in your final year. Don't panic yet!

To me, that looks like someone who put the head down after their 5th year Summer results, improved at Christmas in 6th year and improved again in the mocks. There is a positive trend there and also the fact most students tend to improve on their mock results. It looks like you have improved at every step in your final year. Don't panic yet!

Think it could be a H7 still? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

The average of those results is 44% which is a h6? As another poster has said your results show a positive upward trend and when this is taken in to account it should up that a bit. I wouldn't get too worried until more is known. The colleges may reassess their entry criteria yet.

• Advertisement

The average of those results is 44% which is a h6? As another poster has said your results show a positive upward trend and when this is taken in to account it should up that a bit. I wouldn't get too worried until more is known. The colleges may reassess their entry criteria yet.

Yeah the average is a H6 but couldn't they make it lower to a H7 to fit a bell curve?

Why would you think you would do worse than your mocks? That would be unusual, especially for someone showing constant improvement all year.

All you can do now is wait, don't stress about it because it's wasted energy to stress when you can't influence something.

You can make a decision when you get your results. Enjoy your Summer until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That ruling by the Government is an absolute travesty.
    When I did my leaving cert 30 years ago, my History and Geography higher papers went from D to B between mock and Leaving Cert. (Mainly because I ramped up my studying after the mocks)
    Getting your work accessed by your own teacher is unworkable if there is any animosity between the two parties, which happened quite a lot in my day.
    There were some absolute psychos parading as teachers in my school 30 years ago.
    If they hold the future of someone they disliked in the ass slicer, some of them will press the slice button believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Wait and see what happens, as another poster has mentioned there's nothing more you can do.

I honestly feel for you. A couple of my teachers sent notes home recommending that I dropped down to pass and accepting no responsibility if I failed the exam.

I am a coaster, and had a great social life in 6th year.... However I did an Easter revision course and buckled down in May... I got A's and B's and C's...... At a push I would have got C's off them and they would have thought they were doing me a favour.

The one thing I would say is, if your course is looking for a minimum grade, that is the minimum standard they want and they are probably being generous. If it's a subject you struggle with and is a course subject I would still chip away with the book over the summer.... I know that sounds grim but it will stand to you..... The lecturer will assume everyone got H1 and will move at that speed.

Anyway best of luck, hopefully you get the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

OP it's nearly impossible to know what your grade will be because your results will be scaled by the previous performance of your school.

So, leaving aside the new grades and as an extreme example: say there were 10 students that did the leaving cert in your school every year for the past 5 years and every year there were 5As, 3Bs, 1C and 1D in English.

Your performance versus your peers puts you in the top third of your year, you'd likely be given an A grade after the grades leave the school. They will then be further moderated by the national bell curve.

So unless you know the past performance in your school and where you rank within your year you won't be able to know your predicted grade.

Anyway isn't this what the secondary students voted for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The teacher can only go with the results he has before him.
    Other than that it is favouritism.
    You have two choices, either you repeat.
    Or maybe you arent as smart as you think you are and make more realistic choices. Think of an IT instead of University.

I know that it’s easy for me to say, but try and relax. There’s always the option to do the exams at some stage “ However, students will also have the opportunity to sit the exams at a later stage when it is safe to do so.” https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0508/1137313-leaving-cert-q-a/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Or maybe you arent as smart as you think you are and make more realistic choices. Think of an IT instead of University.

The OP should have a chance to sit the exam if not happy with the predicted grade before the next college year. Anything else is unfair in my book.

Rodin wrote: »
    The OP should have a chance to sit the exam if not happy with the predicted grade before the next college year. Anything else is unfair in my book.

The law of averages are not on his side. If he is forcing something that is completely unnatural to him and may come back to haunt him later.

My average score in 45%. Which is a H6. Which is what I need

Could it really go from H5 in the mock to a H7 predicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The law of averages are not on his side. If he is forcing something that is completely unnatural to him and may come back to haunt him later.

He should be given a chance to get the grade he requires.
    But should he not get it he'll just have to accept it.
    Will also have an extra month and more to study than he otherwise would.

Maths is tricky though. Hard to study for if it doesn come naturally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My average score in 45%. Which is a H6. Which is what I need

Could it really go from H5 in the mock to a H7 predicted?

I would think it very unfair if it did and I would definitely appeal it.

Rodin wrote: »
    He should be given a chance to get the grade he requires.
    But should he not get it he'll just have to accept it.

According to law of averages my average is 45%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Don't forget you have options, and repeating isn't the end of the world.

Could you do the same course elsewhere with a lower mark?
    Could you do a cert or diploma in the subject and then joing your chosen course in the second or third year?
    Could you do a different course and then a master's in the subject you actually wanted?

There may be other options. It's a long time since my leaving.

According to law of averages my average is 45%

What course do you hope to do? Does it require an extensive understanding of Maths? Is it Engineering or Physics or some sort of Pure Maths? If not then you should be grand but dont turn up at the course with a "D" if they all have "B's" and are required to have a higher understanding.

I turned up at an engineering course without that maths and physics ground work being done and I was very sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Wow oh Wow if I said what I really thought of this post I'd be banned.

OP you did well in your mocks and fair play. I would think this is mainly what they'll base the results of.

Even if you don't get the grade which you will I think most colleges will have an entry Maths exam you can take to be accepted for the course. Have you checked this out? If yours doesn't they'll definitely introduce one now if you didn't get the grade.

It's out of your control now but it would be completely unfair if you got 55% in the mocks and they gave you anything lower.

Enjoy your Summer

What course do you hope to do? Does it require an extensive understanding of Maths? Is it Engineering or Physics or some sort of Pure Maths? If not then you should be grand but dont turn up at the course with a "D" if they all have "B's" and are required to have a higher understanding.

I turned up at an engineering course without that maths and physics ground work being done and I was very sorry.

You see. My ability to do maths isn't actually awful. I'm very good in applied maths and physics and I'm expecting a h2 in both. But for some reason I'm rubbish at honours maths.

My course is computer applications in dcu which is 370 points and a H6 in maths. The 370 points is easy. H6 in maths has me worried.

But with a H5 in the mock in maths and a 45% being my avg of exams in 5th and 6th year... Maybe there's a chance and i won't be predicted a H7

Wow oh Wow if I said what I really thought of this post I'd be banned.

OP you did well in your mocks and fair play. I would think this is mainly what they'll base the results of.

Even if you don't get the grade which you will I think most colleges will have an exam you can take to be accepted for Maths.

It's out of your control now but it would be completely unfair if you got 55% in the mocks and they gave you anything lower.

Enjoy your Summer

Thank you. I'm juse fretting about math ahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ladystardust

My goodness dont you think that's a bit harsh!? A lot of these kids just had the rug pulled from them. It's a total kicker. Nothing wrong with continuous assessment if you know it when you go in. I did well in the LC, worked my ass off, but had some **** teachers, had a social life and had off days. My mocks, I failed 3 subjects. These young people have very difficult choices to make and it's no ones fault.

My goodness dont you think that's a bit harsh!? A lot of these kids just had the rug pulled from them. It's a total kicker. Nothing wrong with continuous assessment if you know it when you go in. I did well in the LC, worked my ass off, but had some **** teachers, had a social life and had off days. My mocks, I failed 3 subjects. These young people have very difficult choices to make and it's no ones fault.

Life is unfair. The other option is for the teachers give results based on CA, this seems a poor option in this case. This is the game they have to play on a certain field on a certain day. I had my Aunt die suddenly a week before my leaving cert last year. I just got on with it and went to the funeral before the Leaving Cert. I always say "if it wasnt this, it would be something else".

I would get onto the course directors and ask for their opinion. They are not psychologist but they do know what sort of students pass their course. They are surprisingly very available and open to talk to us mortals. I was watching my course for two years before I applied for it and my lecturers knew me from open days and general correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ladystardust

Life is unfair. The other option is for the teachers give results based on CA, this seems a poor option in this case. This is the game they have to play on a certain field on a certain day. I had my Aunt die suddenly a week before my leaving cert last year. I just got on with it and went to the funeral before the Leaving Cert. I always say "if it wasnt this, it would be something else".

I would get onto the course directors and ask for their opinion. They are not psychologist but they do know what sort of students pass their course. They are surprisingly very available and open to talk to us mortals. I was watching my course for two years before I applied for it and my lecturers knew me from open days and general correspondence.

You are right, life isn’t fair, but there is no need to kick em when they’re down! It might be totally practical what you are suggesting but you know what I have an issue with? It’s your time. You don’t know this young person, and you just went right in with ‘maybe you are not as smart as you think you are’. If someone wants to do something and has passion enough to do it, they will. Even if they have to go the long way around. But have you genuinely forgotten what it’s like to be that age? When things shift like this is monumental, because as far as you are concerned an extra year might be forever. It’s only as we get older and learn these lessons that we are better at coping with it.
    Also, terribly sorry re your aunt, that is awful. But you are implying that no excuses are legitimate here. OP didn’t know this was coming, and was probably 15 or 16 in 5th year. Had they known, maybe things would have been different for them.

Giving advice is one thing but you could be a bit more tactful, that’s all.

I'm starting to be more hopeful tbh. When you think about it my average is 45 %. Would be odd to fail me with that since it is evidence based.

I also got a H5 in maths in my mock. It would be also odd to fail me after that. :)

I'm starting to be more hopeful tbh. When you think about it my average is 45 %. Would be odd to fail me with that since it is evidence based.

I also got a H5 in maths in my mock. It would be also odd to fail me after that. :)

Exactly, the odds are in your favour.

If you take your average, you get the result you want.
    If you take the upward trend & continuous improvement, you do better than that.

Just take it handy & I know it's easy for me to say but the Leaving Cert is only a starting point. It doesn't dictate your finish point. You can always navigate your away to where you want to end up. Start a different course, change over if you get the requirements, do a bridging course to get where on the course you want, do a masters afterwards, return as a mature student, get a job and study part time. There are so so many options and you don't even know yet if you even have to consider them.

I missed my course of choice but 5 points many years ago. Never held me back & in hindsight, it was probably the wrong course for me anyway!!!

Relax & enjoy your Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

ha ha ha , some of the stupidest people i have ever met went to university ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

I'm a LC student as well, but honestly you won't be predicted a fail, that's for sure. As long as you didn't cheat in the mocks, you should be absolutely fine. Hopefully, there should be some nuance to this predicted grades system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement