Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I might have to repeat 6th year now

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

I wouldn't be too worried, also worth bearing in mind that colleges aren't going to be getting any international students (more than likely) hence that should lower the required points slightly, unless someone else can contradict what I'm suggesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

c_f_p99 wrote: »
    I'm a LC student as well, but honestly you won't be predicted a fail, that's for sure. As long as you didn't cheat in the mocks, you should be absolutely fine. Hopefully, there should be some nuance to this predicted grades system.

Yeah I didn't cheat haha. I got grinds and worked super hard

jams100 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried, also worth bearing in mind that colleges aren't going to be getting any international students (more than likely) hence that should lower the required points slightly, unless someone else can contradict what I'm suggesting?

I'm not worried about points. Just maths because I need a H6 to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

naxmax9 wrote: »
    I'm not worried about points. Just maths because I need a H6 to get in
    What are you planning to do? I'll probably put MSISS as my first choice and Engineering at UCD as my second? Or maybe Pure Maths in Trinity. I'm not actually too sure about what I want to do, but I think anything that has a huge emphasis on problem solving and numerical ability is right up my alley. Pure Maths seems more theoretical and I'm a bit worried that I'll find it too hard. That being said, I actually did better in LC Maths than in JC mainly because I became very passionate about it over time. I definitely found Applied Maths tougher, but I still really enjoyed it.

My teachers are still putting on online classes. I just don't see the point at this stage although it is likely that some people may not be happy with predicted grades and they could be preparing for the exam. I'm going to bank on mine being good enough, I mean, as long as I get Engineering in UCD (was 511 last year, probably would climb to 520 this year), there's no way I'll be repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My goodness dont you think that's a bit harsh!? A lot of these kids just had the rug pulled from them. It's a total kicker. Nothing wrong with continuous assessment if you know it when you go in. I did well in the LC, worked my ass off, but had some **** teachers, had a social life and had off days. My mocks, I failed 3 subjects. These young people have very difficult choices to make and it's no ones fault.

There has been a continuous campaign from the ISSU for the last month to get the LC cancelled and give predicted grades. They got what they wanted. Teachers didn't ask for this, students did.

• Advertisement

What are you planning to do? I'll probably put MSISS as my first choice and Engineering at UCD as my second? Or maybe Pure Maths in Trinity. I'm not actually too sure about what I want to do, but I think anything that has a huge emphasis on problem solving and numerical ability is right up my alley. Pure Maths seems more theoretical and I'm a bit worried that I'll find it too hard. That being said, I actually did better in LC Maths than in JC mainly because I became very passionate about it over time. I definitely found Applied Maths tougher, but I still really enjoyed it.

My teachers are still putting on online classes. I just don't see the point at this stage although it is likely that some people may not be happy with predicted grades and they could be preparing for the exam. I'm going to bank on mine being good enough, I mean, as long as I get Engineering in UCD (was 511 last year, probably would climb to 520 this year), there's no way I'll be repeating.

Computer science in DCU. I'll be way over the points with my other subjects but I need the H6 in maths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The teacher can only go with the results he has before him.
    Other than that it is favouritism.
    You have two choices, either you repeat.
    Or maybe you arent as smart as you think you are and make more realistic choices. Think of an IT instead of University.

No, the Christmas and mock exams served one purpose only, as a sandbox to prep the students for the leaving cert. That was the deal and the only deal with these exams. That is how students approached them. As an experimental exercise only.
    Solicitors are rubbing their hands with glee as we speak at the government decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

No, the Christmas and mock exams served one purpose only, as a sandbox to prep the students for the leaving cert. That was the deal and the only deal with these exams. That is how students approached them. As an experimental exercise only.
    Solicitors are rubbing their hands with glee as we speak at the government decision.

Solicitors always smell blood. I have a few friends teachers and they are at their wits end. The students havent been "attending class" and handing up homework. There is no historical evidence to go with. What else are marks supposed to be estimated based on historical scientific evidence on a student by student basis?
    I think its an awful mine field for both students and teachers estimating on previous history but a C-D student is never going to come up to an A student.

Everyone here sees the pitfall. For the smart guy he will see the opportunity. I say ask your teacher their estimated grade. If you think you can do either the same or better then you go for that.

I will say from experience life does focus around critical times and sometimes moments. It can make a massive difference what college/university/IT you go to. I have visited PLC colleges, and gone to to ITs and Universitites and their Autism services are worlds apparts. I have seen the engineering projects and partnerships with industry, worlds apart.

This is definitely a time for volatility right now it makes as much opportunity as disaster. Choices made right now could echo a life time.

Everyone here sees the pitfall. For the smart guy he will see the opportunity. I say ask your teacher their estimated grade. If you think you can do either the same or better then you go for that.

The grading guidelines explicitly state that teachers, principals etc are not to discuss predicted grades with students or their parents. Do not suggest that he asks his teacher for the grade. The teacher will be obliged to refuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The grading guidelines explicitly state that teachers, principals etc are not to discuss predicted grades with students or their parents. Do not suggest that he asks his teacher for the grade. The teacher will be obliged to refuse.

So what is the predicted grade based on? Is it the last grade? the average of all assessment for the last two years? Or what the teacher thinks you will get? Massive differences there.

• Advertisement

So what is the predicted grade based on? Is it the last grade? the average of all assessment for the last two years? Or what the teacher thinks you will get? Massive differences there.

I think it is what the teacher thinks I’ll get.

My average mark is 45% in maths . Which I what I need to get into my course

My grade in the maths mock was 55% which is well above what I need

My maths teacher likes me. I just hope I’m not predicted a H7 :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Weather your math teacher likes you or not is irrelevant. No teacher in their right mind would consider giving a student a final result that is lower that their Mock unless there was strong evidence to suggest cheating. Which based on your past results there is no suggestion.

It's all outlined in the guidelines.

https://www.education.ie/en/Learners/Information/State-Examinations/a-guide-to-calculated-grades-for-leaving-certificate-students-2020.pdf

I think it is what the teacher thinks I’ll get.

My average mark is 45% in maths . Which I what I need to get into my course

My grade in the maths mock was 55% which is well above what I need

My maths teacher likes me. I just hope I’m not predicted a H7 :(

Nax, I think you need to get over dragging out this thread for dramatic effect.

No sane teacher is going to be predicting a grade for a student which is lower than their average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 patmac2004

Looking at those results. Do you think a H7 is the most likely outcome?
    its a very challenging situation, im glad im not in the middle of prepareing for the leaveing cert with the extra stress of the virus and I would imaging for so many not sure how their college applications will be effected

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

I'm worried that I haven't put much effort into doing homework and all, especially in 6th year. I've missed quite a few English assignments, but I'm not counting that, to be fair. Halfway through 6th year, I felt that there's no point in concentrating on a subject that I won't get points for and now, I kind of regret it.

I score very well in class tests and Christmas/Summer exams though. Would it greatly effect me?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pbthevet

Looking at ur results i think ull get the h5 to be honest. Teacher will be a brave one to give lower than mocks result.

Back when i did it i gor an a1 in maths. I never got an a in any of the exams before that. B1 in mocks i think if i remember.

Dont worry.

I'm worried that I haven't put much effort into doing homework and all, especially in 6th year. I've missed quite a few English assignments, but I'm not counting that, to be fair. Halfway through 6th year, I felt that there's no point in concentrating on a subject that I won't get points for and now, I kind of regret it.

I score very well in class tests and Christmas/Summer exams though. Would it greatly effect me?

Your teacher is grading you, nobody here can give any insight into how they are going to mark you. It's pointless speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

c_f, from the glance I gave through the guidelines, actual test results are likely to have a much bigger impact than "did he always hand in his homework?"
    There has been a continuous campaign from the ISSU for the last month to get the LC cancelled and give predicted grades. They got what they wanted. Teachers didn't ask for this, students did.
    SOME very loud and media-savvy students did.

I'm firmly of the opinion that a lot of students' voices got drowned out in this. Maybe partly because they trusted what the minister said and didn't feel the need to scream from the rooftops.
    Your teacher is grading you, nobody here can give any insight into how they are going to mark you. It's pointless speculating.
    It really is.

Nax, I think you have a fairly good shot at your H6, but hell, what do I know?

This shambles has been thrust upon us and we must live with it.

Teachers and those involved will do their best to make it work, and will be as professional and fair as they possibly can. I have no doubt of that.

I have no problem with a thread discussing the pros and cons and ins and outs of the present situation, but I think we may be done with a thread speculating about one student's grade in one subject.

The reality is none of us can actually do more than speculate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement