Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

I can really see things descending into chaos in this country. The 5KM rule has absolutely no public support. Lots and lots will be looking to break this rule from Monday onwards and its going to be impossible to police. Businesses have had enough and are now piling pressure on the government to allow them to reopen.

We can't carry on like this into mid June.

you mean 20th July - that's when we can go further than 20km!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/japan-suicides-fall-sharply-as-covid-19-lockdown-causes-shift-in-stress-factors

For all the lockdown scaremongerers predicting the impending widespread societal fallout among them huge increases in suicide :)
    Japan sees a 20% reduction in suicide rates as people are less stressed due to time off school, more sleep, less commuting, and more time with family

One less aspect for you all to complain/pretend to worry about anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be fair to FG, they’re only getting hammered now because they decided to give their youth players a run out.

Nah, wasn't any better under Enda and Noonan. Luckily for us the global upswing directly benefitted our FDI-dependent and export-led economy, but rather than "keep the recovery going" they somehow managed to make a lot of fundamental things worse.

We got the youth squad because Enda's ego led to a weak ineffective Government in 2016 so he could be the only FG Taoiseach to "win" a second term.

But you're right.. having a guy more concerned with his social media profile and bucket list at the helm has actually won him the accolade of being worse than his predecessor.

And through it all, FF slipped back into the driving seat with a guy like Martin at the helm! But despite it all, they're still not as bad as FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Horse racing gets moved forward but homeware gets moved back.

These decisions are getting harder to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Rural TDs pushed for this apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Beginning to think they put them all in a hat and just drew them out willy nilly! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not that hard to understand when you consider the lobbying power the horse racing industry has. Cheltenham being the obvious case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grumpygit

Will the horses have to live within 5km of track

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

George Lee must be in bed with Holohan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

George Lee...’no good reason to change reopening plan’....how about Billions upon Billions of lost income, jobs, mental health issues, children’s education, cancer screening, etc. I could go on and on and on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭batman_oh

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/japan-suicides-fall-sharply-as-covid-19-lockdown-causes-shift-in-stress-factors

For all the lockdown scaremongerers predicting the impending widespread societal fallout among them huge increases in suicide :)
    Japan sees a 20% reduction in suicide rates as people are less stressed due to time off school, more sleep, less commuting, and more time with family

One less aspect for you all to complain/pretend to worry about anyway

Japan's work culture is nothing like Ireland. People literally spend their whole lives working and sleep in offices etc.
    Amazing irrelevant comparison though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

can anyone answer me this
    when are the private consultants back?
    danke schoen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

batman_oh wrote: »
    Japan's work culture is nothing like Ireland. People literally spend their whole lives working and sleep in offices etc.
    Amazing irrelevant comparison though

Not irrelevant at all. Posters here claimed the fear mongering associated with lockdowns would lead to huge increase in suicide rates. The opposite scenario is occurring in some parts of the world. So it looks like it was complete bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Jaysus her voice is horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Haha, yeh I'm sure lockdown is causing huge suicides heres because we are so different to the humans in Japan

I'm lost on how that's in any way related to your first comment. Awesome logic throughout.
    I see you edited the nonsense - good job

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Not irrelevant at all. Posters here claimed the fear mongering associated with lockdowns would lead to huge increase in suicide rates. The opposite scenario is occurring in some parts of the world. So it looks like it was complete bull****

Long term though I would be worried with high unemployment, at the moment it's a novelty to be home for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

Baby steps and potty training for us😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Shelga

What's the point of this press conference? Just to confirm phase 1 can go ahead? Will have very little impact on the majority of people, as already noted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭snowgal

niallo27 wrote: »
    Long term though I would be worried with high unemployment, at the moment it's a novelty to be home for so long.

yes this exactly. People are still ok (ish) as mortgages have been frozen, covid payment is there, all ok now but in another 6 months who knows what itll all look like. Mental issues will be huge over the net 12 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Delighted to see the positive approach from the government and adherence to rules that will hopefully keep transmission suppressed.

We all have to play our part. This is the right plan for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Delighted to see the positive approach from the government and adherence to rules that will hopefully keep transmission suppressed.

We all have to play our part. This is the right plan for Ireland.

Alright Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Shelga

Simon Harris talking like we'll all be rushing out to garden centres like a sped-up version of the old ladies who were after Eoin McLove.

I have no interest in garden centres Simon, just tell me when I can hug people again!*

*read: get the ride :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Simon Harris just said that some countries have eased lockdown, saw a rise in cases, and put lockdown back in place..

Which countries are these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Colibri wrote: »
    Simon Harris just said that some countries have eased lockdown, saw a rise in cases, and put lockdown back in place..

Which countries are these?

Japanese island. haikkoduuuuuee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Social isolation does extreme damage to people's minds. Every minute we spend in lockdown puts us all at dire risk. We're lucky we've had the most summer-like spring for 50 years, if we were in winter we'd be in deep trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This is ridiculous. Home wear shops cannot open but shops like Dunnes and Tesco who have home wear sections have been opened weeks. Hardware shops and repair shops have been given the go ahead despite the fact a lot of them have already been open weeks. Ikea can’t open because people will flood the place so let’s move that to phase 2 when the 20k limit is introduced, where even more people can flood the place. As usual the Gov and NPHET are ten steps behind common sense.

This “easing” of restrictions is nothing more than an extended lockdown for 99% of us. And we have to wait another three weeks to see were we behaved enough to allow us move to stage 2, all while there’s tumbleweeds blowing in the hospitals. I have absolutely no faith in anyone in charge.

People tend to hang around and touch everything in homeware stores. Especially Ikea.

Shopping right now should be an in and out thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

People tend to hang around and touch everything in homeware stores. Especially Ikea.

There's probably more touch and feel in the veg dept at Dunnes Stores in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I know I shouldnt but :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

I'm hearing from a friend who works in a large retail chain shop that's closed here but some of the shops in Europe are now open.

People came in droves at first but most of the customers just came in, got what they needed and left promptly.

Good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Fann Linn wrote: »
    There's probably more touch and feel in the veg dept at Dunnes Stores in fairness.

Fruit Dept as well...I think melons are fruit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement