Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

ridiculous restrictions., the economy will be in tatters , fire Houlahoops and his ivory tower brigade, all because a number of stupid news papers and news outlets jumped teh gun over ikea

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/japan-suicides-fall-sharply-as-covid-19-lockdown-causes-shift-in-stress-factors

For all the lockdown scaremongerers predicting the impending widespread societal fallout among them huge increases in suicide :)
    Japan sees a 20% reduction in suicide rates as people are less stressed due to time off school, more sleep, less commuting, and more time with family

One less aspect for you all to complain/pretend to worry about anyway

That’s completely wrong as much as I would like to believe it. There are 3 people in a Dublin ICU for attempted suicides already. I’m told it’s rare to have even one, let alone 3 at the same time.

Besides, it’s not even half time when it comes to the economic fallout of this. More misery is yet to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Colibri wrote: »
    Simon Harris just said that some countries have eased lockdown, saw a rise in cases, and put lockdown back in place..

Which countries are these?

I think they’re referring to Wakanda, Westeros and Narnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

People tend to hang around and touch everything in homeware stores. Especially Ikea.

Shopping right now should be an in and out thing.

In do the same when i'm food shopping, oh what is that? take it out and look at it, might put it back if i don't like it, i might pick up 4 or 5 loafs of bread trying to get the one with the best date on it, same for milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This is the right plan for Ireland.

Thanks for confirming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Stark wrote: »
    Not that hard to understand when you consider the lobbying power the horse racing industry has. Cheltenham being the obvious case in point.

But sure we only follow the science

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

pgj2015 wrote: »
    In do the same when i'm food shopping, oh what is that? take it out and look at it, might put it back if i don't like it, i might pick up 4 or 5 loafs of bread trying to get the one with the best date on it, same for milk.

Guilty of man handling 5+ bread loaves as well. I aint buying expired bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bill murray

Simon Harris just said that some countries have eased lockdown, saw a rise in cases, and put lockdown back in place..

Which countries are these?

Am well South Korea for one, taught that was fairly obvious

Its another 3 weeks of lockdown. A few garden centres and hardware stores open doesn't change that.

Whats the bets that we don't even move into phase 2 on time?

I think its time for Ireland to bring in some external help. We have no idea what decisions to make so we should ask for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Heather trying to justifying the closure of IKEA at the moment.

• Advertisement

ireland , the only driver going down the the motorway claiming everyone else is going the wrong way !!. The worst affected country in europe will allow national travel from 6 june , we are nearly 6 weeks behind that !! WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Am well South Korea for one, taught that was fairly obvious

South Korea hasn't gone into lockdown. It never was.

Its another 3 weeks of lockdown. A few garden centres and hardware stores open doesn't change that.

I think its time for Ireland to bring in some external help. We have no idea what decisions to make so we should ask for help.

fire houlahoops , would be a start

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ikea at the best of times long before Covid is a living nightmare of heaving bodies . Dead right to keep it closed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

For the vast majority nothing really changes on Monday but sure we knew that when the plan was released. Phase 2 and 3 are really the only start of a meaningful relaxation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Anyone tell me how far it is allowed to drive to a Garden Centre on Monday?(They will be classed as essential,is that right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Heather trying to justifying the closure of IKEA at the moment.

Mentioning you can buy things online and going on about how buying curtains isn't essential.

I don't want fecking curtains Heather. I want a desk so I can work from home effectively and not have everything piled on top of itself. IKEA's online service is a shambles as well. I'd be as well trying to make a desk myself.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Ikea at the best of times long before Covid is a living nightmare of heaving bodies . Dead right to keep it closed

Haven't been in it here but what's the difference between visiting IKEA, visiting Woodies or visiting some garden centre?

amandstu wrote: »
    Anyone tell me how far it is allowed to drive to a Garden Centre on Monday?(They will be classed as essential,is that right?)

5km Leo said,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hopefully we can move forward in 3 weeks time and not backward!

Construction going back is big boost.

The malcontents (the Gemma O'Dohertys and John Waters..), who care about no one but themselves, will be fuming but the vast majority accept the need for patience and caution.

• Advertisement

South Korea hasn't gone into lockdown. It never was.

This week it went into lock down

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And in another month do you reckon "da virus" will be gone? Or three months? Or six? When do you propose to re-open business or do you think we can continue forever paying welfare to over 1 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Agreed, and I would avoid IKEA for those reasons, pandemic or no pandemic. But for those exact reasons it would have made sense to allow them to open while we still only have a 5k travel limit. Extending it to phase 2 allows for a 20k travel limit and it’ll be even more heaving as a result. If a gradual easing in was what they were after they’ve completely missed the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Did you not get a chance to read the phased re-opening plan?

Where are you getting the idea that Ireland has no idea what decisions to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Fann Linn wrote: »
    5km Leo said,

Drat it.I will have to order online then. (even then the online checkouts are mostly down for now it seems)

The malcontents (the Gemma O'Dohertys and John Waters..), who care about no one but themselves, will be fuming but the vast majority accept the need for patience and caution.

Is their restrictions on construction, as in how far you can travel to work, for example I know lots of people who work on sites in Dublin but live in the west of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And who's going to keep building places that cannot be open or utilised? Or people can't drawdown a mortgage to buy it? Or because their job is still shut down? I'm going to blunt here but- Take your head of your arse and wake the fcuk up please.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For the vast majority nothing really changes on Monday but sure we knew that when the plan was released. Phase 2 and 3 are really the only start of a meaningful relaxation
    Yeah, I don't see a lot in there at all having much effect although some of the amenities being open is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Apparently horse racing is exempt from the need for patience and caution.

It's stuff like that that's going to wind people up. I can't go out to get a desk for myself to work from home, but fecking horse racing is important enough to push up through the stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

For people following the restrictions being allowed to meet in groups of 4 and do outdoor exercise classes in 4s is a pretty big and encouraging change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement