Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I've heard that desks were hard to get online as everyone is working at home and ordered them.

Got one last week off of Argos on their eBay page. I think there's still a few in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Here's an interesting article comparing lots of countries around the world and their reaction to the virus, and the current consequences of those reactions:
    https://wmbriggs.com/post/30833/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

HBC08 wrote: »
    Yeah let's do what they're doing,they seem to have a handle on it.

sure kets beggar the whole economy to reduce the death rate below the 2017 flue season !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nobody's forcing you to do anything except stare at the wall but there is a universe of possibilities out there for you if you choose.

I love how nobody is forcing me to do anything yet if I try to go beyond 5km I can be forced to turn back or face arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You can buy a desk online, or am I missing something here?

not an argument for or against Horse Racing - but i keep seeing this "i need to buy xyz" its all online. It will take a little while but it will get there.
    I also need a desk though, thanks for the reminder!

I tried, IKEA keep pushing my order back and randomly cancelled it at one point, a bit hesitant to get one online now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

uli84 wrote: »
    Oh soon, great, i wonder their definition of soon is
    I'd guess they should say something in the next couple of weeks. Any time they mention it they seem keen. Think they still run a HSE briefing on Sunday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I tried, IKEA keep pushing my order back and randomly cancelled it at one point, a bit hesitant to get one online now

id cancel the ikea order. they dont have the infrastructure to be online only plus without the ability to restock id say they are bursting at the seems - id look at actual suppliers personally like AJ linked above.

i bought a bike online last week, delivered in 4 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The lack of “wanting to help” from childcare workers was not the reason this scheme was scrapped. It was very badly thought out with zero consultation with providers and between no insurance and the WRC wading in, it was pulled.

Oh really?
    That's funny because take a look here and see why it says it was scrapped https://www.rte.ie/amp/1138274/

Guess you Mr/Mrs random internet user know better huh?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

id cancel the ikea order. they dont have the infrastructure to be online only plus without the ability to restock id say they are bursting at the seems - id look at actual suppliers personally like AJ linked above.

Do you mind me asking where you bought the bike from?

Disappointing news but I guess we have to trust NPHET :)

• Advertisement

The world has changed.

I doubt we'll ever return to what we thought was normal.

All we can do is do our best to adapt.

Based on personal experience, I completely disagree. Apart from more masks and some temperature checks and hand cleaning requirements, the virus is old news in Vietnam and life feels like it did before it, internally anyways as long as you don't need to fly anywhere.

There is no particular reason to think the world has changed. Countries with more debt? Sure. More people working at home? Good. But "changed", as in the social or cultural fabric or that? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Your usual trolling techniques didn’t work so now you’re resorting to name dropping the Krazy Gang? Pathetic.

Says poster who is just throwing the toys out of the pram because the govt takes scientific professional advice and not that of selfish cranks.

It takes more courage to tell people what they can not have rather than what they can have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Where did you buy the bike and were you able to get it in the cycle to work scheme?

I love how nobody is forcing me to do anything yet if I try to go beyond 5km I can be forced to turn back or face arrest.
    That's called collective social responsibility. I have yet to be stopped not that I am making an effort to test it, but have seen no Gardai checks throughout this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Agree 100% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

I'd guess they should say something in the next couple of weeks. Any time they mention it they seem keen. Think they still run a HSE briefing on Sunday mornings.

In a Couple of weeks? They will say something? I thought they’d be restarting from Monday, It’s been 2 months already that these cancer screenings are not available

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Oh really?
    That's funny because take a look here and see why it says it was scrapped https://www.rte.ie/amp/1138274/

Guess you Mr/Mrs random internet user know better huh?

Not sure why you’re being hostile towards me.

The article you linked actually gives the same reasons as I did for why the scheme was scrapped.

Aren’t we all random internet users on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mentioning you can buy things online and going on about how buying curtains isn't essential.

I don't want fecking curtains Heather. I want a desk so I can work from home effectively and not have everything piled on top of itself. IKEA's online service is a shambles as well. I'd be as well trying to make a desk myself.

Would this help you

https://www.flyingelephant.ie/shop/working-from-home-desk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If moving to stage one which, let’s face it, is stage 0 wearing a pretend moustache and glasses, caused so much dithering and dawdling, back and forth and humming and hawing, can you imagine the carry on of them when it’s time to move to stage four or five?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

That's called collective social responsibility. I have yet to be stopped not that I am making an effort to test it, but have seen no Gardai checks throughout this.

I’ve been stopped twice going shopping. But it’s good that you haven’t been stopped yet. That changes everything.

• Advertisement

uli84 wrote: »
    In a Couple of weeks? They will say something? I thought they’d be restarting from Monday, It’s been 2 months already that these cancer screenings are not available
    If they were starting next Monday people would already know. It strikes me as a question that could be asked at a briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

tenor.gif?itemid=11895821

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

This week it went into lock down

It didn't, it tested/traced/isolated and closed certain businesses but they're not locked down and never have been.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-southkorea/south-korea-sticks-with-virus-lockdown-rollback-despite-nightclub-outbreak-idUKKBN22P0NB

I’ve been stopped twice going shopping. But it’s good that you haven’t been stopped yet. That changes everything.
    I can imagine. Even on the occasions where I took the car out for a little spin I had bags on the front seat just in case.

tenor.gif?itemid=11895821

Maybe, that's what is wrong with this generation. Think everything can be solved with a GIF.

Well chum, that's not how the real world works. I think you meant to disagree with me going by your previous posts.

If moving to stage one which, let’s face it, is stage 0 wearing a pretend moustache and glasses, caused so much dithering and dawdling, back and forth and humming and hawing, can you imagine the carry on of them when it’s time to move to stage four or five?

I’m wondering if maybe they need a bit of external help. Nothing wrong with asking for help if you’re unsure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not sure why you’re being hostile towards me.

The article you linked actually gives the same reasons as I did for why the scheme was scrapped.

Aren’t we all random internet users on here?

Not being hostile. Just calling you out on things :)

Such as, a quote from the article:

"The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Katherine Zappone, said the scheme had been scrapped as only six childcare providers had signed up to be part of the service."

And then lists "concern for virus transmission" which, in my opinion, is the biggest reason among the list . Hence my first post. Which is the same post you quoted me.

All this thanking the HSE / frontline (good job, clap clap clap) dare I say is the quite opposite than reality.

Disagree if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Yeah that looks handy actually, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The coronavirus ward in CUH is now closed.
    3 patients were discharged today and 1 patient was transferred to another hospital in another county.
    No new covid-19 admissions and no new cases confirmed in the hospital in the last 24 hours.

That’s not to say there won’t be more admissions next week etc (before anyone goes off on me), but as of now the ward is empty. No patients for the first time since March. How much lower do the numbers need to go?

I remember thinking a few weeks ago that it was starting to feel like we were sacrificing one section of society for another, and how it should be a bit more equal.
    That we were all important.
    Now it feels like we’re sacrificing the lives and futures of 99% of the population, for a very small minority & subsection of society.
    The vast majority many for the very few. And no end whatsoever in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Not being hostile. Just calling you out on things :)

Such as, a quote from the article:

"The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Katherine Zappone, said the scheme had been scrapped as only six childcare providers had signed up to be part of the service."

And then lists "concern for virus transmission" which, in my opinion, is the biggest reason among the list . Hence my first post. Which is the same post you quoted me.

All this thanking the HSE / frontline (good job, clap clap clap) dare I say is the quite opposite than reality.

Disagree if you want.

Thank you for your permission for disagree with you.

It sounds like you feel that “concerns around virus transmission” are not a valid concern for childcare workers to have when entering someone else’s home to look after children of frontline workers’ families whose own work environment has a hugely increased risk of exposure to covid19.

You have your opinion and the wider childcare workers on the ground daily working in the sector have theirs. All the points in the list are valid reasons whether you choose to believe it or not that’s your choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement