Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Well seeing how Spain & Italy are opening up bars and restaurants 1st of June, it does seem like everybody forgot what happened there. Or maybe they realised Covid isnt deadly enough to warrant poverty.

Reality is, Sweden did not do what Ireland did. Sweden did not experience Italy or Spain. In fact Ireland number of deaths per 1 million is 300, In Sweden its 340.

Lockdown did seem to have very little effect on deaths. On the economic front though, 28% unemployment versus 7% in Sweden. Yeah. Not good.

Lockdown had very little effect on deaths :pac: if you look at Italy’s numbers you can steep decline in cases and deaths about 2 weeks after they instigated their lockdown. Are you saying that was a coincidence? You think they shouldn’t have locked down and 900 deaths per day is just fine?

Why do you think cases and deaths fell here after our lockdown?

Italy are opening up before us because they are a few weeks ahead of us in the timeline of this pandemic.

Have a look at numbers in ICU in Sweden over the last months and then compare it to our ICU capacity. We couldn’t have coped. It’s an apples and oranges comparison.

I do think we should be opening up a small bit quicker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not being hostile. Just calling you out on things :)

Such as, a quote from the article:

"The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Katherine Zappone, said the scheme had been scrapped as only six childcare providers had signed up to be part of the service."

And then lists "concern for virus transmission" which, in my opinion, is the biggest reason among the list . Hence my first post. Which is the same post you quoted me.

All this thanking the HSE / frontline (good job, clap clap clap) dare I say is the quite opposite than reality.

Disagree if you want.

There were three other concerns which if they were addressed by Govt may have alleviated the 'concern regarding virus transmission'.
    Those other concerns were; lack of insurance cover, lack of PPE and working conditions relating to rest periods/lone working etc.

If I were a worker in any occupation I wouldn't be too happy to work uninsured. Never mind working uninsured in the midst of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thank you for your permission for disagree with you.

It sounds like you feel that “concerns around virus transmission” are not a valid concern for childcare workers to have when entering someone else’s home to look after children of frontline workers’ families whose own work environment has a hugely increased risk of exposure to covid19.

You have your opinion and the wider childcare workers on the ground daily working in the sector have theirs. All the points in the list are valid reasons whether you choose to believe it or not that’s your choice.

That's the point... Clap clap good job. But feck that, am not helping you (child care) cause I don't wanna get anything off you. If that's fine, then it also means clapping the workers is bollocks too.

I mean aren't he words "support the HSE" often used at these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

This 'nonsense' is saving lives and containing the spread of disease.

The economy remains fundamentally strong with no underlying structural issues.

There is no reason the vast bulk of those receiving COVID payments wont be back at work in short order later in the year assuming another lock down is not needed.

This nonsense is doing a lot more harm than good while that might not be apparent to you because you are so ingrained in your viewpoint that you refuse to acknowledge it. The many examples of hardships and suffering that people are going through due to the continuing lockdown have been plain for everyone to see in this thread.

As for the economy you do realise that we'll have to balance the books to the tune of about €30bn at the moment and it will end up being a lot more because of the continuing lockdown and the unemployment payments but, yeah the economy is fundamentally sound. I'm sure you can throw out that soundbite when we're hit with austerity budgets for the next 5+ years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Stark wrote: »

“I cannot see through my right eye”
    What a selfish crank. Don’t they know anything about EPIDEMIOLOGY!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

So Argos and Homestore no longer opening? This is vile, people were already informed about going back to work from Monday. What’s the justification for this last minute change?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭JPCN1

If moving to stage one which, let’s face it, is stage 0 wearing a pretend moustache and glasses, caused so much dithering and dawdling, back and forth and humming and hawing, can you imagine the carry on of them when it’s time to move to stage four or five?

'There go the people. I must follow them, for I am their leader' -

Expect very much this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

“I cannot see through my right eye”
    What a selfish crank. Don’t they know anything about EPIDEMIOLOGY!?

I'm actually in the same position except it's my left eye and I was on the list for a cataract removal. I can only imagine what the waiting list will be like when things DO finally restart.

I'll have to go up North when things settle down and pay privately I reckon. Not cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It’s all turning into a bit of a fiasco.

I mean in 24 hours we have it revealed that basically NPHET were writing cheques that the HSE couldn’t cash in regards to testing etc and when the HSE raised this with the minister it remained unanswered for weeks.

Then we have 244 new cases casually thrown on to the list for last night, oh sorry they’re actually cases that were going back to March but we aren’t naming where it was. But it’s revealed it’s the Mater who then have released their own statement that in fact they did provide the numbers who don’t blame us with no further comment from the HSE.

And then for the last 2 weeks we have business preparing to open on the 18th based on the roadmap only to be told today, oops sorry, bit of a typo there on that one, yeah you can’t open and anyway there will be too many people trying to go but it will be grand in 3 weeks when the 5k restriction changes to 20k.

But we better rush through the old horse racing, I mean we can’t have that being as far back as it was, feck the store owners let’s get them millionaire horse trainers back in action.

And we have performing seals here talking about the science behind these decisions and all the metrics and data etc that are used, now stfah and stop asking questions, aghhhh we’re all going to die cos you won’t stay at home!!

• Advertisement

uli84 wrote: »
    So Argos and Homestore no longer opening? This is vile, people were already informed about going back to work from Monday. What’s the justification for this last minute change?

They freaked out when discussions started about queues at IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Stark wrote: »

Shocking.

"Cancelled private surgery
    I am 72 and my scheduled April knee replacement was cancelled because the Santry clinic was commandeered by the HSE. The private hospitals now have a 15 per cent bed occupancy and the public side have an abundance of beds. My surgeon informs me that I will be added to the bottom of the public waiting list (no complaint with that) and he is unsure if the private hospitals will ever reopen. "

Absolutely shocking and disgraceful. I am not even sure if HSE or private hospital are more disgraceful, both.

Leo says "today's announcement gives us reason to hope but its not cause for celebrations"

WTF are u talking about CORK UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL IS EMPTY. EMPTY, no covids. god talk about depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

the kelt wrote: »
    It’s all turning into a bit of a fiasco.

I mean in 24 hours we have it revealed that basically NPHET were writing cheques that the HSE couldn’t cash in regards to testing etc and when the HSE raised this with the minister it remained unanswered for weeks.

Then we have 244 new cases casually thrown on to the list for last night, oh sorry they’re actually cases that were going back to March but we aren’t naming where it was. But it’s revealed it’s the Mater who then have released their own statement that in fact they did provide the numbers who don’t blame us with no further comment from the HSE.

And then for the last 2 weeks we have business preparing to open on the 18th based on the roadmap only to be told today, oops sorry, bit of a typo there on that one, yeah you can’t open and anyway there will be too many people trying to go but it will be grand in 3 weeks when the 5k restriction changes to 20k.

But we better rush through the old horse racing, I mean we can’t have that being as far back as it was, feck the store owners let’s get them millionaire horse trainers back in action.

And we have performing seals here talking about the science behind these decisions and all the metrics and data etc that are used, now stfah and stop asking questions, aghhhh we’re all going to die cos you won’t stay at home!!

But Leo makes such good speeches....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

They freaked out when discussions started about queues at IKEA.

That’s hardly a justification

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Shocking.

"Cancelled private surgery
    I am 72 and my scheduled April knee replacement was cancelled because the Santry clinic was commandeered by the HSE. The private hospitals now have a 15 per cent bed occupancy and the public side have an abundance of beds. My surgeon informs me that I will be added to the bottom of the public waiting list (no complaint with that) and he is unsure if the private hospitals will ever reopen. "

Absolutely shocking and disgraceful. I am not even sure if HSE or private hospital are more disgraceful, both.

Leo says "today's announcement gives us reason to hope but its not cause for celebrations"

WTF are u talking about CORK UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL IS EMPTY. EMPTY, no covids. god talk about depressing

‘Urgent surgeries and emergency procedures are still going ahead as normal, if you have any concerns just call your consultant/clinic and you’ll be looked after’.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Anyone know where factories fit in on the roadmap? If you manufacture for the construction industry can you claim to fall into the 1st phase and reopen on monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The coronavirus ward in CUH is now closed.
    3 patients were discharged today and 1 patient was transferred to another hospital in another county.
    No new covid-19 admissions and no new cases confirmed in the hospital in the last 24 hours.

That’s not to say there won’t be more admissions next week etc (before anyone goes off on me), but as of now the ward is empty. No patients for the first time since March. How much lower do the numbers need to go?

I remember thinking a few weeks ago that it was starting to feel like we were sacrificing one section of society for another, and how it should be a bit more equal.
    That we were all important.
    Now it feels like we’re sacrificing the lives and futures of 99% of the population, for a very small minority & subsection of society.
    The vast majority many for the very few. And no end whatsoever in sight.

There's been no Covid admissions for the last 9 days in a pretty large peripheral hospital.

uli84 wrote: »
    That’s hardly a justification

Not, it’s not at all and destroys credibility

jibber5000 wrote: »
    There's been no Covid admissions for the last 9 days in a pretty large peripheral hospital.

Let's make no qualms, the only hospitals still effected hugely by COVID-19 are based in Dublin. I think it might actually be time to consider a two tier approach and lift lockdown in the countryside before Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Guilty of man handling 5+ bread loaves as well. I aint buying expired bread.

I hope hope you have changed your habits during the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

That's the point... Clap clap good job. But feck that, am not helping you (child care) cause I don't wanna get anything off you. If that's fine, then it also means clapping the workers is bollocks too.

I mean aren't he words "support the HSE" often used at these times.

So you feel that someone who’s been at home since 12th March and likely doesn’t have COVID19 should go into an unfamiliar environment and mix with people highly likely exposed to the virus, spend full days there in close contact with no PPE or reassurance around sanitation, and then come home to their own families (there was no mention of who would mind childcare workers kids in the plan) and potentially spread the virus?

Do you think people working in supermarkets shouldn’t have the protective screens/gloves/face masks on either?

On the 13th March there was a Facebook group set up for to match childcare workers with frontline families needing childcare btw. The day after the crèches and preschools and schools closed.

Also, the concern around transmission from the govts point of view was that the worker (at home since 12th March) was more likely to bring the virus into the frontline worker’s home than the other way around - not sure how they figured that out but it makes no sense to me.

There have also been many comments on social media from frontline workers saying thank you for the claps but pay us and protect us properly so while it is a nice gesture, it is of course of no consequence to the health service whether 1 person or 1 million people clap for them.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I hope hope you have changed your habits during the pandemic.

Totally. I go to the nearest shop, as quickly as I can, grab the first bread loaf I see, buy it, come home see that it expires today and eat it all.

Am I doing it right, save the 70 year olds? :rolleyes:

Is this the "the world has changed, and people need to adapt" we've been preached?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So the roadmap two weeks ago included "electrical, office products, homeware, and hardware shops'

Today that appears to have changed to hardware only.

Have I got that completely wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I will in my arse wear a facemask like some unhinged hypochondriac.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Let's make no qualms, the only hospitals still effected hugely by COVID-19 are based in Dublin. I think it might actually be time to consider a two tier approach and lift lockdown in the countryside before Dublin.

I will agree with you on this. There is absolutely no reason to keep the majority of the country under lock and key when the overwhelming majority of cases are located in Dublin and there are tumbleweeds blowing everywhere else.

On a separate note, we will look back on this in years to come and realise it was the biggest over reaction in our country’s history. And we will be picking up the pieces from the collateral damage for years to come. People are going to die as a result of these nonsensical decisions and it isn’t going to be because there’s no room at the inn. There’s plenty of room, but ejits in charge.
    And make no mistake about it, the median age profile of those who die will be a lot younger than 85 years old.

This is so sad.

"The shift in position will come as a disappointment to homeware stores that have spent time and money in the last couple of weeks preparing to reopen on Monday.

Just two days ago Ikea said it was planning to open its Dublin stores, subject to the Government giving approval for the first phase of lockdown restrictions to be lifted.

The company said the stores would be taking a number of measures to ensure the health and safety of its customers and staff."

Its like our government wants to be sued as much as possible.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0515/1138699-ikea-stores-will-not-reopen-on-monday/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I will in my arse wear a facemask like some unhinged hypochondriac.

Ditto.. I'll continue to observe social distancing, wash my hands, minimise trips to shops etc, but I won't be wearing masks or freaking out every time I pass another human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Totally. I go to the nearest shop, as quickly as I can, grab the first bread loaf I see, buy it, come home see that it expires today and eat it all.

Am I doing it right, save the 70 year olds? :rolleyes:

Is this the "the world has changed, and people need to adapt" we've been preached?

Nah it's called not being a dick. I used to be similar with fruit but if I mindlessly handle something in the store now I'll make sure to throw it into the basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So you feel that someone who’s been at home since 12th March and likely doesn’t have COVID19 should go into an unfamiliar environment and mix with people highly likely exposed to the virus, spend full days there in close contact with no PPE or reassurance around sanitation, and then come home to their own families (there was no mention of who would mind childcare workers kids in the plan) and potentially spread the virus?

Do you think people working in supermarkets shouldn’t have the protective screens/gloves/face masks on either?

On the 13th March there was a Facebook group set up for to match childcare workers with frontline families needing childcare btw. The day after the crèches and preschools and schools closed.

Also, the concern around transmission from the govts point of view was that the worker (at home since 12th March) was more likely to bring the virus into the frontline worker’s home than the other way around - not sure how they figured that out but it makes no sense to me.

There have also been many comments on social media from frontline workers saying thank you for the claps but pay us and protect us properly so while it is a nice gesture, it is of course of no consequence to the health service whether 1 person or 1 million people clap for them.

I... I honestly couldn't bring myself to read that post. I made up an opinion of from your other post. Toodles.

Ps,
    This is where you get back saying "well if you don't read" blah blah you won the internet argument. Rabble rabble. All horse manure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

From Monday, r we allowed meet up with 4 people outside ur household?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement