Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Long gone are the Celtic days when our kings would be ritually murdered and buried in a bog as punishment for misrule.
    Dont forget the cutting off of nipples first, thats the good bit.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqgC5B7kU7M

Look at 38:45. + 40:25

Leo is laughing, he is laughing when asked about homeware shops.

If any proof was needed to see its a big joke, that is it.

Infuriating. Absolute shambles of a "leader"

Don't see the big deal at all. He was clearly expecting the question given the "controversy" that was brewing before the briefing. Does everyone have to walk round with a straight face all the time (even when behind a mask) to avoid someone thinking we may not be taking this whole thing seriously

Seriously??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't see the big deal at all. He was clearly expecting the question given the "controversy" that was brewing before the briefing. Does everyone have to walk round with a straight face all the time (even when behind a mask) to avoid someone thinking we may not be taking this whole thing seriously

Seriously??

The issue is homeware shops spent time and money preparing for 18th of May opening.

A bit of solidarity on national TV when a government have a "typo" in their official, published plan, is expected.

No? Its not a light switch. So for me, its very very bad form.

PS especially finding out so so so late. 3 days to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

From Monday, a small number of shops and retail outlets can re-open but not homeware stores and a group of four people can meet outdoors, maintaining social distancing.

Up to four people who do not live in the same household will be allowed to meet up outdoors, as long as they maintain a two-metre distance.

Dr Holohan confirmed that such a meeting could take place in a garden.

But he warned against people having barbecues "and then someone needs to go into the house to use the toilet and this is definitely not in the public health advice guidelines".

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0515/1138712-covid-update-ireland/

If anyone thinks we are now living in a nanny state, then they should have no doubts about this now. We are not even trusted to go to the toilet.

I honestly think they've started to lose the plot. They're working 7 days a week, stuck in probably the same office talking to the same people while staring at mountains of never ending stats and data, and are making decisions and statements which are getting ever more removed from people's day to day reality. I really think they've lost sight of the fact that they are talking about the every day lives and livelihoods of 5 million people.

If they had to justify their decisions face to face with the people's lives they are messing around with they'd get a major shock, might get some perspective back.

I mean expecting to dictate to people how they use the toilet, or deciding to announce 48 hours in advance that people who were told they could go back to work they now can't - with no justification - ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

He also mentioned that with regard to the missed cases reporting, the HSE was "looking into the matter" :)

• Advertisement

Jesus, talk about killing your credibility in one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I honestly think they've started to lose the plot. They're working 7 days a week, stuck in probably the same office talking to the same people while staring at mountains of never ending stats and data, and are making decisions and statements which are getting ever more removed from people's day to day reality. I really think they've lost sight of the fact that they are talking about the every day lives and livelihoods of 5 million people.

If they had to justify their decisions face to face with the people's lives they are messing around with they'd get a major shock, might get some perspective back.

I mean expecting to dictate to people how they use the toilet, or deciding to announce 48 hours in advance that people who were told they could go back to work they now can't - with no justification - ffs.

We said the very same thing here today
    They have lost grip on reality and real people . Their heads are full of death and hospital beds and PPE and gloom .
    Outside people are in Phase 1 for a week and still the numbers drop .

Jesus, talk about killing your credibility in one post.

"Homeware stores include the likes of Ikea which had planned to open its doors on Monday but will now be forced to close.

Guineys, Harvey Norman, Home store and more are just some of the shops that will now have to wait to a later date."

You need not worry about my credibility, but rather credibility of those who are making decisions.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/list-irelands-main-homeware-stores-22033592

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

As much as I despise joe.ie there’s dozens of jobs being lost here so I wouldn’t exactly rejoice.

Yeah I wouldn't be a fan either but at the same time there were people dependent on it for their livelihood and by extension, their families.
    This will become a worrying trend.

God I just feel so deflated at this stage.

I feel trapped and shut down. All my family and friends lives further than 20km away. I live on my own so have very little worries about contracting or passing on Covid. I just feel like all my options and decisions have been taken away. This isn't a life. Life is about people, laughing, sharing, togetherness. Its so long I can hardly remember.

Just off the phone to my Mum who is in a nursing home. I feel like crying. She is trying to be positive but she needs to see someone from her family. Its been 9 weeks of her seeing nobody. This lockdown is ****ing ridiculous at this stage. The most important things in life are gone now. I am sick to death of Leo and his polished speeches, sick of being told NOT to be happy, NOT to celebrate, to EXPECT worse to come, I am sick of the negativity from our leaders. Can they not see what is happening to their citizens? Citizens who have been responsible for the brilliant reductions in cases week by week. This is our victory but it feels like defeat.

We need to learn to live alongside Covid, its not going away. We all need to be let back out there, not to go back to the way we were but to live with our new knowledge of living alongside a contagious virus. Right now I feel we are being treated like Junior Infants. Surely the longer they lock people and businesses up the longer the queues will be when they open ! What was the point of not opening Home Stores like Ikea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

"Homeware stores include the likes of Ikea which had planned to open its doors on Monday but will now be forced to close.

Guineys, Harvey Norman, Home store and more are just some of the shops that will now have to wait to a later date."

You need not worry about my credibility, but rather credibility of those who are making decisions.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/list-irelands-main-homeware-stores-22033592

Why wouldnt Harvey norman be able to open ? They've extremely large electrical sections which would be covered under IT, while the likes of power city etc would all be allowed to open as far as I know.

Why wouldnt Harvey norman be able to open ? They've extremely large electrical sections which would be covered under IT, while the likes of power city etc would all be allowed to open as far as I know.

I know. But its a bit like asking why arent homeware stores opening, they are usually very large and social distancing would be very easy to accomplish.

But here we go.

PS lets hope they open anyways and sell some hammers at the entrance or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Tesco must be sending Leo vouchers or something to keep em closed

Fell asleep for an hour, missed the speech

Honestly what the **** is going on here

Makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I feel trapped and shut down. All my family and friends lives further than 20km away. I live on my own so have very little worries about contracting or passing on Covid. I just feel like all my options and decisions have been taken away. This isn't a life. Life is about people, laughing, sharing, togetherness. Its so long I can hardly remember.

Just off the phone to my Mum who is in a nursing home. I feel like crying. She is trying to be positive but she needs to see someone from her family. Its been 9 weeks of her seeing nobody. This lockdown is ****ing ridiculous at this stage. The most important things in life are gone now. I am sick to death of Leo and his polished speeches, sick of being told NOT to be happy, NOT to celebrate, to EXPECT worse to come, I am sick of the negativity from our leaders. Can they not see what is happening to their citizens? Citizens who have been responsible for the brilliant reductions in cases week by week. This is our victory but it feels like defeat.

We need to learn to live alongside Covid, its not going away. We all need to be let back out there, not to go back to the way we were but to live with our new knowledge of living alongside a contagious virus. Right now I feel we are being treated like Junior Infants. The longer they lock people and businesses up the longer the queues will be when they open !

Agree with your post.

I think there's a larger lesson as well, which is that reductionism, and making positivism the overruling principle of society, is wrong.

It is wrong to subordinate all our lives to R numbers.

Even if covid goes away and is half-forgotten there will be many other attempts to treat the people of this country as a mere bundle of statistical averages and by accepting this we will get more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

We need to learn to live alongside Covid, its not going away. We all need to be let back out there, not to go back to the way we were but to live with our new knowledge of living alongside a contagious virus. Right now I feel we are being treated like Junior Infants. Surely the longer they lock people and businesses up the longer the queues will be when they open ! What was the point of not opening Home Stores like Ikea?

Can you please copy and paste that and send to your local TDs with the local media in copy. The voice or the people needs to get to these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m sorry, sweetmaggie. Not going to say anything patronising like “Hang in there”. You’re right, it’s shit. We can’t cower forever. The last few weeks, hubs and I have started to chafe. We like each other but we’re also pretty fed up of each other’s faces. :pac: I want to see other familiar faces in the flesh. And I’m sure you’d like to see your mother’s face up close again.

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Tesco must be sending Leo vouchers or something to keep em closed

Fell asleep for an hour, missed the speech

Honestly what the **** is going on here

Makes no sense

I've been queuing for 30 minutes trying to get into Tesco, and have at least another 20 minutes ahead of me before I get in

Lots of wholly selfish c**ts showing up in pairs now for an evening out or something and it's understandably having an effect on the queuing times.

It wasn't this way up until very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Dr. Doireann O’Leary, a doctor who has a big social media following on Instagram, has been a rational source of common sense and calm over the last few weeks.

She just posted her delight at hearing that many covid-19 wards in hospitals across the country finally closed this week for the first time since March, as their final patients were discharged.
    So it clearly isn’t a case of it being a fluke in one or two of the bigger hospitals, coronavirus wards are now obsolete in many of them.

She also thanked the public for their dedication and for flattening the curve, so it would appear that was the only purpose of lockdown.

So with all that in mind, why on earth are the majority of basic services still unavailable for over 2 more months, the 20th of July?
    If HSE doctors are rejoicing and congratulating the public for their good work for stopping the spread, why are we not entering phase 5 till August?

None of this makes sense at all.
    I’m praying someone with high status or within the media starts seriously questioning this because Leo is never going to listen when everything he does appears to be going completely unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Dr. Doireann O’Leary, a doctor who has a big social media following on Instagram, has been a rational source of common sense and calm over the last few weeks.

She just posted her delight at hearing that many covid-19 wards in hospitals across the country finally closed this week for the first time since March, as their final patients were discharged.
    So it clearly isn’t a case of it being a fluke in one or two of the bigger hospitals, coronavirus wards are now obsolete in many of them.

She also thanked the public for their dedication and for flattening the curve, so it would appear that was the only purpose of lockdown.

So with all that in mind, why on earth are the majority of basic services still unavailable for over 2 more months, the 20th of July?
    If HSE doctors are rejoicing and congratulating the public for their good work for stopping the spread, why are we not entering phase 5 till August?

I’m praying someone with high status or within the media starts seriously questioning this because Leo is never going to listen when everything he does appears to be going completely unchallenged.

Where else apart from CUH closed their wards ? Just wondering as I'd only heard of there. Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Walking around our midsize town the last few weeks, the more the whole thing feels farcical.
    People are out, they're they're not hiding at home, they're trying to get some normality back. Most people are meeting and talking to others.
    The street has various shops, some most closed some open. I can walk into this one here, but basically an identical one next to it, just selling something else, we can't. There's a pharmacy, that has a policy of only 2 people or something inside at a time, so there is a queue out on the street. The same people who were queuing to get into one can walk next door into the newsagent no bother. What's the point?
    There's a supermarket, which is working away grand. Anyone can go in there, whenever they want. But the furniture/homeware shop next door, that's a complete no go for the last 2 months, and now another 3 weeks.

It feels like the Fr Ted episode where Dougal points out all the contradictions in religion to the bishop.

• Advertisement

I advise everyone to stock the car with a bag of non perishable food. Leave it there. If you get stopped at any checkpoint, just say it’s for elderly family members. They can’t stop you.

Time for people to start doing what’s right for their own health and well being.

I’ll be going to see family this weekend. If the country wants to remain in fear of a mild illness, so be it.

If we can’t even start phase 1 properly, we’ve no hope of ending this through government decision anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Where else apart from CUH closed their wards ? Just wondering as I'd only heard of there. Great news

She didn’t specify where, she just said ‘covid wards across the country are closing every day’.
    More specific data from the government would be extremely helpful in this regard, a breakdown of the amount of covid patients in each hospital would make it very clear what way the situation really is.
    But I can’t imagine they’ll be forthcoming with the info, when it’s sure raise some questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I've been queuing for 30 minutes trying to get into Tesco, and have at least another 20 minutes ahead of me before I get in

Lots of wholly selfish c**ts showing up in pairs now for an evening out or something and it's understandably having an effect on the queuing times.

It wasn't this way up until very recently.

Even weeks ago in my local Tesco there were couples, sometimes with kids, going around exactly as you describe as if it's a fun trip out, slowing everything down and making distancing that much harder, covidiots I believe they're now known as.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It’s actually enraging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Interesting that sucides have fallen massively in Japan from last year due to a reduction in stress level because of Covid.
    People spending more time at home with their families, fewer people were commuting to work and delays to the start of the school year are seen as factors in the fall.

All this talk of mental health on the negative end of the spectrum but I never hear the other side of the coin being talked about. I know quite a few of my freinds who have said the slow down in life has been a massive positive change in their lives.

pm1977x wrote: »
    Even weeks ago in my local Tesco there were couples, sometimes with kids, going around exactly as you describe as if it's a fun trip out, slowing everything down and making distancing that much harder, covidiots I believe they're now known as.

Right, I just noticed the abundance of couples here this evening at my local Tesco, whereas before they were in the extreme minority. Might bring my own OH up for the next visit, clearly we are eejits at this stage for trying to think of others.

pm1977x wrote: »

Right, I just noticed the abundance of couples here this evening at my local Tesco, whereas before they were in the extreme minority. Might bring my own OH up for the next visit, clearly we are eejits at this stage for trying to think of others.

Ivan Yates is shining a light on this every single day on Newstalk and he is getting dogs abuse from a lot of the public! He reads out all the texts , especially the abusive texts, but it doesn't stop him. He is calling this out for what it is! His particular concern is a ticking time bomb of non Covid health issues, delayed diagnosis and operations, surge in cancers...........and also the issue of the €350 payment being a disincentive to return to work... plus a large amount of SME's who will simply not survive this.

He says , and I agree 100%, that we ALL have to take responsibility ourselves, have hand sanitizer everywhere, wear a mask on public transport, socially distance at work, wash hands all the time, all common sense things that we are all doing now. He travel by bus and LUAS into town every day to work. This is possible and it is necessary.
    But a huge amount of people are living in fear, locked up and happy to stay that way. They scream abuse at anyone who says the country needs to get back to work and the €350 cant go on forever etc. The Government and CMO are responsible for this level of fear and Leo did it again tonight saying there is NO reason to celebrate. We cant keep living in this fear!

Interesting that sucides have fallen massively in Japan from last year due to a reduction in stress level because of Covid.

All this talk of mental health on the negative end of the spectrum but I never hear the other side of the coin being talked about. I know quite a few of my freinds who have said the slow down in life has been a massive positive change in their lives.

If only we were like Japanese huh. Unfortunately we are very different

"A Dublin mental health hospital has said that there has been a significant increase in admissions since the coronavirus pandemic began.

The St John of God Hospital in Stillorgan has said that in the past month alone, 50% of admissions to the hospital have been related to COVID-19 anxiety and restrictions."

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/health/increase-mental-health-issues-sees-18245031

I sympathise with a poster earlier who is tired of government being so negative in any announcement. We must be one of the few countries on this planet that makes flattening the curve sound like "not a cause for celebration"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

A friend of mine was overworking himself hugely so I'm glad he had a bit of slowdown. That is a happy by-product of the lockdown.

But enforced social isolation just is a danger zone. It is inherently dangerous and there's no mystery about the extreme damage it does to people - jailers and torturers have long known of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement