Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

If only we were like Japanese huh. Unfortunately we are very different

"A Dublin mental health hospital has said that there has been a significant increase in admissions since the coronavirus pandemic began.

The St John of God Hospital in Stillorgan has said that in the past month alone, 50% of admissions to the hospital have been related to COVID-19 anxiety and restrictions."

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/health/increase-mental-health-issues-sees-18245031

I sympathise with a poster earlier who is tired of government being so negative in any announcement. We must be one of the few countries on this planet that makes flattening the curve sound like "not a cause for celebration"

Thanks but I'll wait for actual statistics rather than some hearsay article. You know you are allowed on the spectrum when having an opinion. I know from your posts in this thread that you seem to live in a binary world. You can see the negative and also see the postive sides within a situation and recognise that both have validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ivan Yates is shining a light on this every single day on Newstalk and he is getting dogs abuse from a lot of the public! He reads out all the texts , especially the abusive texts, but it doesn't stop him. He is calling this out for what it is! His particular concern is a ticking time bomb of non Covid health issues, delayed diagnosis and operations, surge in cancers...........and also the issue of the €350 payment being a disincentive to return to work... plus a large amount of SME's who will simply not survive this.

He says , and I agree 100%, that we ALL have to take responsibility ourselves, have hand sanitizer everywhere, wear a mask on public transport, socially distance at work, all common sense things that we are all doing now. He travel by bus and LUAS into town every day to work. This is possible and it is necessary.
    But a huge amount of people are living in fear, locked up and happy to stay that way. They scream abuse at anyone who says the country needs to get back to work and the €350 cant go on forever etc. The Government and CMO are responsible for this level of fear and Leo did it again tonight saying there is NO reason to celebrate. We cant keep living in this fear!

That yoke is a joke. And always was. Why would anyone listen to his rants.

He is the bankrupt who has re emerged. LOL. Feck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Right, I just noticed the abundance of couples here this evening at my local Tesco, whereas before they were in the extreme minority. Might bring my own OH up for the next visit, clearly we are eejits at this stage for trying to think of others.

Can't understand the couples in the supermarket thing.
    For me it's a chance to have some 'me time' out of the house.

That yoke is a joke. And always was. Why would anyone listen to his rants.

He is the bankrupt who has re emerged. LOL. Feck him.

It is pretty simple. He backs up my world view so his opinion is now worth something to ME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Dr. Doireann O’Leary, a doctor who has a big social media following on Instagram, has been a rational source of common sense and calm over the last few weeks.

She just posted her delight at hearing that many covid-19 wards in hospitals across the country finally closed this week for the first time since March, as their final patients were discharged.
    So it clearly isn’t a case of it being a fluke in one or two of the bigger hospitals, coronavirus wards are now obsolete in many of them.

She also thanked the public for their dedication and for flattening the curve, so it would appear that was the only purpose of lockdown.

So with all that in mind, why on earth are the majority of basic services still unavailable for over 2 more months, the 20th of July?
    If HSE doctors are rejoicing and congratulating the public for their good work for stopping the spread, why are we not entering phase 5 till August?

None of this makes sense at all.
    I’m praying someone with high status or within the media starts seriously questioning this because Leo is never going to listen when everything he does appears to be going completely unchallenged.

Thanks for the tip. Will check her out.

Yeah, I hope they look at revising things and relaxing things quicker if the indications are that it would be okay to do so. No need to stubbornly stick to the stated dates. Things can change and new information on the virus is flooding in every day. The government needs to be flexible. Judicious but flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Thanks but I'll wait for actual statistics rather than some hearsay article. You know you are allowed on the spectrum when having an opinion. I know from your posts in this thread that you seem to live in a binary world. You can see the negative and also see the postive sides within a situation and recognise that both have validity.

If you dont want to believe the reality, dont. I am surprised you didnt accuse me of working for dublinlive.ie and writing the article.

Idiot rebel.

Should we all comply? We’re in this together right?

Will that remain the case when the government can no longer pay the Covid payment? When the bank can no longer afford pay holidays? When the country is in a huge recession?

Will we be still together then? No, we’ll be alone to deal with those issues.

Thanks for the personal abuse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

God I just feel so deflated at this stage.

I feel trapped and shut down. All my family and friends lives further than 20km away. I live on my own so have very little worries about contracting or passing on Covid. I just feel like all my options and decisions have been taken away. This isn't a life. Life is about people, laughing, sharing, togetherness. Its so long I can hardly remember.

Just off the phone to my Mum who is in a nursing home. I feel like crying. She is trying to be positive but she needs to see someone from her family. Its been 9 weeks of her seeing nobody. This lockdown is ****ing ridiculous at this stage. The most important things in life are gone now. I am sick to death of Leo and his polished speeches, sick of being told NOT to be happy, NOT to celebrate, to EXPECT worse to come, I am sick of the negativity from our leaders. Can they not see what is happening to their citizens? Citizens who have been responsible for the brilliant reductions in cases week by week. This is our victory but it feels like defeat.

We need to learn to live alongside Covid, its not going away. We all need to be let back out there, not to go back to the way we were but to live with our new knowledge of living alongside a contagious virus. Right now I feel we are being treated like Junior Infants. Surely the longer they lock people and businesses up the longer the queues will be when they open ! What was the point of not opening Home Stores like Ikea?

Amazing post, you’ve articulated what I’ve been feeling the past week.

It’s the distance rule that I am most struggling with and starting to feel resentful of those “lucky” to live in a city or large urban area.
    As someone who lives out in the sticks, 5km means nothing to me and so it feels like we are being punished for where we live.
    My circle of friends all live at least 30km away from me and I’ve been struggling with the lack of real contact (not zoom/skype, etc).
    I’m dreading the inevitable gushing news reports and facebook updates on Monday of groups of friends being reunited while those of us in rural areas just have to keep sucking it up in our lonely isolation bubbles until July 20th.
    It’s an absolute disgrace and the distance rule hasn’t been properly thought through at all.
    It should either be one rule for all or none at all.

If you dont want to believe the reality, dont. I am surprised you didnt accuse me of working for dublinlive.ie and writing the article.

I am completely aware that the lockdown has effected people negatively and in some cases in extremely bad ways. That is plain common sense. Before jumping to conclusions though I like to have my reality routed in statistics and facts. The Japnese statistics seem to suggest another side to coin. We will eventually see our own and at that stage real analysis and conclusions can be drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

They have made a massive error not making face coverings mandatory on public transport. Almost half of infections are passed from pre-symptomatic cases so wtf are they thinking not acting on this one. I know Leo said some people are allergic but unless you walk around naked there has to be some fabric out there that you can tolerate. A ripped up t shirt, a scarf, a polo neck pulled up over your mouth.. the possibilities are endless. It should have been made clear today that you will not be allowed on public transport unless you can cover your mouth and nose in some kind of fashion. Jaysusn mother of divine the lot of them are backwards when they should be forward and forward when they should be backwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

this thread is a dogs dinner.mods could we have a data only thread or something like in weather chat and data models only

this thread is a dogs dinner.mods could we have a data only thread or something like in weather chat and data models only

Start one there yourself, cretin. We’re grand here thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Millionaires telling us we are in this together- makes me sick

Wait for the save the 70 year old brigade, they ll tell you how that business had high rent and was gonna go bust anyways.

Or, even better, its a multinational serving foreign countries so their job losses dont count. :mad:

Well above any business an online business should be more immune to this than other. As seen here everyday, when you have nowhere else to go you end up online for hours on end. Surely joe.ie etc have had a spike in traffic recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Well above any business an online business should be more immune to this than other. As seen here everyday, when you have nowhere else to go you end up online for hours on end. Surely joe.ie etc have had a spike in traffic recently

Its somewhat strange.

I've seen dublin bus driving around today with no advertisements. Blank, advertising nothing. Probably marketing departments budgets being cut and it flows down.

There was 1 good development today, horse racing back 8th of June. This is an example of lifting restrictions ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

So with all that in mind, why on earth are the majority of basic services still unavailable for over 2 more months, the 20th of July?

Because they don't want to have to re-open the covid wards they've just shut down?

The fight back begins.

Look at Rory's Stories on YT for a bit of reality. And realistic hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Because they don't want to have to re-open the covid wards they've just shut down?

That would entail staying in lockdown forever and obliterating what little is left of our economy.
    Are you ok with being stuck in your house for the rest of your life?
    Does that seem like a proportionate response to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

God I just feel so deflated at this stage.

I feel trapped and shut down. All my family and friends lives further than 20km away. I live on my own so have very little worries about contracting or passing on Covid. I just feel like all my options and decisions have been taken away. This isn't a life. Life is about people, laughing, sharing, togetherness. Its so long I can hardly remember.

Just off the phone to my Mum who is in a nursing home. I feel like crying. She is trying to be positive but she needs to see someone from her family. Its been 9 weeks of her seeing nobody. This lockdown is ****ing ridiculous at this stage. The most important things in life are gone now. I am sick to death of Leo and his polished speeches, sick of being told NOT to be happy, NOT to celebrate, to EXPECT worse to come, I am sick of the negativity from our leaders. Can they not see what is happening to their citizens? Citizens who have been responsible for the brilliant reductions in cases week by week. This is our victory but it feels like defeat.

We need to learn to live alongside Covid, its not going away. We all need to be let back out there, not to go back to the way we were but to live with our new knowledge of living alongside a contagious virus. Right now I feel we are being treated like Junior Infants. Surely the longer they lock people and businesses up the longer the queues will be when they open ! What was the point of not opening Home Stores like Ikea?

+1 to all of this.

We can’t be so afraid of dying that we forget how to live, even if living includes social distancing!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

If HSE doctors are rejoicing and congratulating the public for their good work for stopping the spread, why are we not entering phase 5 till August?

None of this makes sense at all.
    I’m praying someone with high status or within the media starts seriously questioning this because Leo is never going to listen when everything he does appears to be going completely unchallenged.

Because common sense seams to have deseted the Powers that be - the only problem they still see in ireland today is - Covid-19 -
    The likes of me and my son (and other tens of thousands) who have lost ther work - doesnt matter - fear of paying my rent , doesnt matter , unless its Cov-id - The country has played its part in helping flatten the curve , its now time to start living, living with Cov-id, safeguarding the vulnerable , but start living and looking at ways of boosting our immune system with Vitamin D and Wim Hoff breadth work.
    We are still paying 115 million a month to rent the private hospitals, when it is unneccasry, and many of the beds are not even used, and people with other illness are not getting treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

de only thing dat has grown faster thsn the virus spread is the whining in here quite remarkable

Its somewhat strange.

I've seen dublin bus driving around today with no advertisements. Blank, advertising nothing. Probably marketing departments budgets being cut and it flows down.

There was 1 good development today, horse racing back 8th of June. This is an example of lifting restrictions ahead of schedule.

The priority now needs to be getting the hospitals that have been cleared back to full normal operation.

de only thing dat has grown faster thsn the virus spread is the whining in here quite remarkable

Yeah sick of it Anto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

That would entail staying in lockdown forever and obliterating what little is left of our economy.
    Are you ok with being stuck in your house for the rest of your life?
    Does that seem like a proportionate response to you?

No. But I'd rather a softly, softly approach if it means we're less likely to have that spike in the future.

Are you whining about our whining? “De” only thing that never ceases to amaze me is people like yourself who involve yourself in threads that you have little interest in, only to belittle those who do. You know where the door is.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Why wouldnt Harvey norman be able to open ? They've extremely large electrical sections which would be covered under IT, while the likes of power city etc would all be allowed to open as far as I know.

According to their facebook they're going ahead with the re-opening of the IT side of their stores.

No. But I'd rather a softly, softly approach if it means we're less likely to have that spike in the future.

Whenever we open up there will be a spike. I’m amazed at those who don’t realise this and somehow these weeks of restrictions are going to kill the virus off. This isn’t a war where we kill off the enemy. We can’t kill it unless we have a vaccine. As long as there’s a host to live in the virus will remain.

Are you whining about our whining? “De” only thing that never ceases to amaze me is people like yourself who involve yourself in threads that you have little interest in, only to belittle those who do. You know where the door is.

Oh get down off your preachy perch FGS. We are all mostly going totally mad :P

+1 to all of this.

We can’t be so afraid of dying that we forget how to live, even if living includes social distancing!

This stuff is embarrassing. You have been on house arrest for 9 weeks to control the spread of a pandemic. You are not Mandela fighting for freedom from decades of oppression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

We’re going to see a spike whether we ease restrictions out over the course of 4 months, or whether we take a similar approach to other countries, who were ironically hit much harder than we were by the virus.
    If more movement = more cases, then we’re going to have see an increase in cases whether we ease restrictions on Monday or whether we wait till 2021.

Meanwhile the economy is down the toilet, 300k people are expected to be long term unemployed, the leaving cert is cancelled & children are missing out on their education, families are missing each other and our hospitals are running at reduced capacity with many necessary healthcare services suspended indefinitely.

This is unsustainable, people are suffering and in the long run this will end up costing more lives and stealing as many futures as coronavirus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement