Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

There you go below

"Swiss authorities say it is now safe for children under the age of 10 to hug their grandparents, in a revision to official advice on coronavirus.

The health ministry's infectious diseases chief Daniel Koch said scientists had concluded that young children did not transmit the virus.

However, he said such meetings should be brief and not involve babysitting."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52470838

But Tony the Internationally renowned virologist disagrees. Plus the risk of driving (or indeed cycling) 20km from your home is far more risky than travelling 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Speaking of Switzerland

"Switzerland is continuing to relax its lockdown measures, allowing people to go out and socialize more freely.

As of 11 May, the country’s second wave of reopenings means it’s possible to go out to dinner once again. Along with measures to ensure social distancing, including keeping tables two metres apart or separating them with a partition, a range of other restrictions will stay in place.

Shops, bars, markets, museums and libraries may also reopen.

Customers must be seated to consume food and drink, and no more than four people can visit a restaurant, pub or bar together. The only exception is family groups, which can be larger than four."

Will they see a 2nd wave of infections and deaths with these measures in place? Highly unlikely.

Why cant we do the same?? Why can't this non elected government go out there and say "if you are a struggling business and you need to open up fast, if you can comply with social distancing and other safety measures please get in touch and we ll approve you". And if they get loads of applications for early re opening, wheres the harm if safety measures are complied with?

Instead of scaremongering "entering phase 1 is not a cause for celebration" "we need to put out the fire, every spark or fire will spread again"

There you go below

"Swiss authorities say it is now safe for children under the age of 10 to hug their grandparents, in a revision to official advice on coronavirus.

The health ministry's infectious diseases chief Daniel Koch said scientists had concluded that young children did not transmit the virus.

However, he said such meetings should be brief and not involve babysitting."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52470838

But Tony the Internationally renowned virologist disagrees. Plus the risk of driving (or indeed cycling) 20km from your home is far more risky than travelling 5km.

France had even stricter rules
    As did Italy
    2km was generous in comparison

these all past tense, time behind us..... what was ok on 12th March is no longer ok on 16th May.

Those countries have now moved on, considerably more quickly too. The continuation of the 5km rule here is ridiculous!

France had even stricter rules
    As did Italy
    2km was generous in comparison

Past tense. They also live in far denser metropolitan areas and they were concerned at that point with the risk.

But nice that Tony was so generous to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah FFS I innocently thought that was lifted as of Monday.

Thats ridiculous to suggest 5km until next July. What the actual f##k difference does 5km make?

The theory is that if someone has it or comes into contact with someone who does, the spread is contained to a small area.

The reality is that despite the fear and negativity from Tony and Leo, this virus is not an instant death sentence and even then only really affects those with underlying conditions and generally of advanced age in the vast majority of cases. And despite that, they can still recover from it.

We are sacrificing the vast majority to save a small amount of people who can be supported separately and far more effectively than prolonging these unnecessary restrictions. Something increasingly apparent as more has been learned about the virus, and the experiences in other countries.

The lockdown and dramatic speeches made complete sense at the outset to get the public's attention, give time to respond, and prevent the health services being overrun. All of those objectives have been achieved weeks ago. It was NEVER the case that it would somehow halt or eradicate the virus itself.

All we are doing now is making things worse and ensuring that it will take far longer and be far more painful for everyone to come back from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

2km is a joke unless you live in a city.

I’m surprised Argos can’t open it’s just a click and collect anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

2km is a joke unless you live in a city.

I’m surprised Argos can’t open it’s just a click and collect anyway

Opening Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

https://twitter.com/WoodiesIreland/status/1261374906387673088

Single parent families are left in the dark.

Colibri wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/WoodiesIreland/status/1261374906387673088

Single parent families are left in the dark.

A consequence of project fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

I see Italy, France and Germany to name a few will allow people to enter from June 8th and people won't need to do the 2 week isolation.

Meanwhile here in Ireland we won't even be allowed to travel more than 20km until July 20km

I can see half of Ireland going over to Italy etc in June

Rodin wrote: »
    Opening Monday

Really?

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I see Italy, France and Germany to name a few will allow people to enter from June 8th and people won't need to do the 2 week isolation.

Meanwhile here in Ireland we won't even be allowed to travel more than 20km until July 20km

I thought the 20km was June 8th. Has it been pushed back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

I’ve been working from home since mid March but have been asked to come back in for one day a week for the foreseeable. The office is small so they’ll only allow 6 staff in there at any one time. By doing so, I’d be going against the “only go to work if you can’t work from home” advice so I’m not sure if I should agree to it or not? I’m not too sure about going on buses during all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

I thought the 20km was June 8th. Has it been pushed back?

Apologies I could be wrong, I thought I saw July 20th somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It's soul destroying seeing pretty much every other country in Europe opening back up including Italy (!) yet for 95% of us nothing will change for nearly another month. And even then we'll still have the nonsensical 20km rule in place. Depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

NDWC wrote: »
    It's soul destroying seeing pretty much every other country in Europe opening back up including Italy (!) yet for 95% of us nothing will change for nearly another month. And even then we'll still have the nonsensical 20km rule in place. Depressing

It happens when an body assumes power in a country ie NPHET.
    Every week another bonkers decision is made

Really?

Those in retail parks or standalone.
    Not those in shopping centres

20km on June 8th.
    Over 20km on July 20th

• Advertisement

20km on June 8th.
    Over 20km on July 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

frillyleaf wrote: »
    After reading the restriction guidelines I feel that the country is effectively still in lockdown. I thought for some reason that more would be lifted on the 18th. The 5km is still very restrictive. When are we actually coming out of this lockdown? It seems to be really dragging out now

12 weeks (and a day) at least according to the plan until they’re finished. Let that sink in - we’re not even half way since the start of the restrictions.
    Some people are going to be stopped working for 6 months. Mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

After 8 June you can travel up to 20km. July 20th is when you can travel beyond 20km.

Interestingly according to gov.ie for phase 4 on 29 June in relation to travel it says “Travel restrictions may be implemented on numbers travelling to and in major urban centres on weekdays and weekend days“- what does this mean?

smeal wrote: »
    After 8 June you can travel up to 20km. July 20th is when you can travel beyond 20km.

Interestingly according to gov.ie for phase 4 on 29 June in relation to travel it says “Travel restrictions may be implemented on numbers travelling to and in major urban centres on weekdays and weekend days“- what does this mean?

They will stop people getting the dart to bray or Howth.

smeal wrote: »

You will however be able to travel countrywide after June 8th if you are a racing horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

July 20th to go beyond it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Are Italy opening up to EU citizens ? Hadn't seen that. If you have a link handy I'd be interested in reading up on those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Rodin wrote: »
    You will however be able to travel countrywide after June 8th if you are a racing horse.

Wow. That really highlights the absolute nonsense of it.

Why Tony Holohan wasn't f*cked out of his position after the CervicalCheck scandal is beyond me.

Many people still say he's doing a great job. Some artists online are even painting superhero versions of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Apologies if already discussed (thread moves fast!) - but anyone optimistic about new Dail Covid committee?

I’m thinking maybe NPHET has its hold too firmly now on the government but new committee will apparently have some uncomfortable questions for Tony and crew next week.

Some possiblity maybe for speeding up of phases?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement