Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We got the quarantine right. The problem with ireland is the people are too stupid or just selfish and only care about me.
    Oh the latter has a part to play alright AR, however we didn't get quarantine particularly right. If you were symptomatic the advisory was to self quarantine, there was actually nothing to stop anyone with a cough and a positive result text on their phone from walking into the local Lidl. On wider quarantine, we had effectively none. No health checks at ports, no cross border link up with the North like we had with foot and mouth, no quarantine for incoming people. When ten families of Travellers(a demographic that show one of the highest percentages of covid positive results) in a convoy of caravans entered this country coming from one of the worst hit nations in Europe and drove at least 50k to set up an illegal encampment on government land at the height of the initial lockdown, when you and me were likely to be stopped and questioned by the Gardai going to our local shop says it all about the lack of will, mixed responses and incompetence in our authorities. Never mind the same authorities took a fortnight to give the Gardai any actual powers to back up their role. Many things have been "advisory", from self isolation to masks.
    If we obeyed the first week of the lockdown, the more strict version wouldn't of happened. But the younger generation cant keep out of pubs or do the right thing.
    The "younger generation" are not to blame in this. It was a small percentage of them who were out in the pubs in the latter days before they were closed. Never mind the load of people going and coming from UK race meetings weren't exactly a majority of people in their early twenties. This is not a generational thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Yeah but the Austrians are responsible adults, we aren't

Will you ever stop with this old Ireland parental approach.

Ah god sure we sure we cant be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    No still June all going well but anymore than 20km is 20th of July

In theory we will have 6 weeks of 20km
    I think that will change sooner, closer to the end of June IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mr zulu wrote: »
    Cillian du gascun saying on rte radio that we could go back to stage one or even go back beyond that if they are not happy by June 8th, it's pretty clear who's running the country now.

It's to instill fear, don't do what we say you wont get to do this on 8th June. Its absolute clutching at straws stuff because they know public compliance is drifting now, more and more people getting frustrated with being the slowest country in the EU.

Can't see a government allowing restrictions to be imposed again simply based on the country cant afford it, the €350 wont be there and the banks are giving 1 more 3 month break and thats it then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Cillian du gascun saying on rte radio that we could go back to stage one or even go back beyond that if they are not happy by June 8th, it's pretty clear who's running the country now.

I find only listening to Ivan Yates is great for ones mental health.

If that lad had said anything of the sort on Yates show he would get dismantled and ridiculed.

Common sense is finished with most media, but Sir Ivan is the only voice of reason in a country gripped in hysteria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It's a fact. We make a show of ourselves constantly. We have a lockdown and you see is house parties. We asked people to stay in and temple bar is packed.

We go on summer hols and behave like the brits.

We want everything for nothing and it's all about me me me

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Now that I'd like to see. There'd be absolute war.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Few enough nation's cultures can be trusted, the difference is most authorities know and allow for this. Instead our lot have made an Olympic sport out of fence sitting. We actually did OK as a people for the most part, even given the bumbling from on high.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Its a nonsense position also because it assumes every arrival has Covid. 100%.

When in reality, from all the good stuff testing done worldwide, less than 4% of population in every country have been tested positive for covid.

4% reality vs Gardai expectations at Dublin airport of 100%. Quite a leap

A week ago you were shouting about how most Germans and Swedes have had or will soon have the virus. Now you think a tiny amount have it . Which is it you believe?
    "According to the Swedish Ambassador to the U.S., Karin Ulrika Olofsdotter, Stockholm is on course to reach herd immunity in May.

“About 30% of people in Stockholm have reached a level of immunity,” said Olofsdotter in an interview with NPR. “We could reach herd immunity in the capital as early as next month May.”

tell me about Dublin, my friend?

death rates arent higher cus of 0.3% mortality, we talked about this. you will not see 50 000 dead swedes off covid, please forget about it.

That's just a scientist pointing out that nothing in the future is a given. The experience with the disease elsewhere probably makes reversing things very unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If we weren’t responsible adults then the R wouldn’t be at 0.6 . Its is and we are .,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

My prediction is that with the relative severity of the ongoing lockdown numbers will be approaching virtually zero come June 8th and government will come under increasing pressure to abandon their ultra conservative timeline.

What I'm really struggling with is understanding of our overall strategy at this point.

The Taoiseach spoke of quenching every spark and every ember of this virus where ever we can.
    So are we still actually trying to get Pandora back into her box? Eradicate the virus? Weren't and aren't we told all the time that this is actually impossible? That this virus is here to stay like all the other corona viruses?
    And even if we were to succeed what then? Are we going to build a wall to the north and encapsulate Ireland from all international travel?

So it couldn't be that, but what is it then?

If we were trying to live with the virus with a sustainable level of hospitalization - then isn't that sustainable level already reached? And any longer dithering on the current lockdown levels aren't really going to improve anything except that hospitals are going to be even emptier than they are right now together with the state coffers?

Can someone explain what I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If we weren’t responsible adults then the R wouldn’t be at 0.6 . Its is and we are .,

Reading that made my head hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yeah but the Austrians are responsible adults, we aren't

Lol

Fines and forced closures in every European country. When will anti-Irish propaganda be gone from our lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He's right.

Can't criticise someone for telling it like it is.

If infection rates surge then new impositions have to be introduced. If they don't then we can move forward.

Given Ireland's climate during summer can be damp and cool conditions for spread may also be superior here to the continent when the heat builds there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ek motor wrote: »
    Reading that made my head hurt

Did it ? How odd . Do you want it in simple words ? The R is well under 1 now . It is under 1 because despite what the poster said we were responsible for 7 weeks and did what was asked of us

My prediction is that with the relative severity of the ongoing lockdown numbers will be approaching virtually zero come June 8th and government will come under increasing pressure to abandon their ultra conservative timeline.

What I'm really struggling with is understanding of our overall strategy at this point.

The Taoiseach spoke of quenching every spark and every ember of this virus where ever we can.
    So are we still actually trying to get Pandora back into her box? Eradicate the virus? Weren't and aren't we told all the time that this is actually impossible? That this virus is here to stay like all the other corona viruses?
    And even if we were to succeed what then? Are we going to build a wall to the north and encapsulate Ireland from all international travel?

If we were trying to live with the virus with a sustainable level of hospitalization - then isn't that sustainable level already reached? And any longer dithering on the current lockdown levels aren't really going to improve anything except that hospitals are going to be even emptier than they are right now together with the state coffers?

He's an outgoing Taoiseach trying to cling to any bit of popularity by appeal to people with pure emotion. It seems to be working. Absolute shocking carry on from him.

Their goal posts have changed and they haven't even told us.

My prediction is that with the relative severity of the ongoing lockdown numbers will be approaching virtually zero come June 8th and government will come under increasing pressure to stick to their ultra conservative timeline.

What they don't want is a spike and acceleration in cases and the line about squashing it is to convince us to stick with the long journey out of this. Between changes to the roadmap after June 8th, and individual sectors making their case it could be shorter.

Colibri wrote: »
    He's an outgoing Taoiseach trying to cling to any bit of popularity by appeal to people with pure emotion. It seems to be working. Absolute shocking carry on from him.

Their goal posts have changed and they haven't even told us.

He'll be an incoming one too, assuming there is a deal with FF and the Greens!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think that will change sooner, closer to the end of June IMO.

I'd like to be that hopeful but we had to be dragged whimpering into phase 1 despite all the phase 1 relaxations being very low risk.

Only hope is that with some acclimation to normality and people getting used to being outside the house more, that the hysteria may dissipate. At the moment, the powers that be are going off public opinion which seems to be move as slowly as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭acequion

We got the quarantine right. The problem with ireland is the people are too stupid or just selfish and only care about me.

I'm sorry but that's a nonsensical statement! Have we here in Ireland got a different species of "people" to the rest of Europe?? Because that's what you're implying!

People are the same the world over and being stupid and selfish exists the world over, as does being intelligent and wise.

The problem lies higher up,with our leaders, and I wouldn't be too impressed with the way things have been handled. Hence I'm not impressed with a longer easing of restrictions.

is_that_so wrote: »
    He'll be an incoming one too, assuming there is a deal with FF and the Greens!

Ah jebus

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Can someone explain what I'm missing?

Taoiseach is counting votes in his head and this is leading the decision making process.

Colibri wrote: »
    Ah jebus
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Taoiseach is counting votes in his head and this is leading the decision making process.

Or maybe he is just doing the best he can in a difficult situation?

Not everything is a conspiracy or driven by alterior motives.

Also, the alternatives would be Martin or McDonald...hardly going up a level is it? Quite the opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

acequion wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's a nonsensical statement! Have we here in Ireland got a different species of "people" to the rest of Europe?? Because that's what you're implying!

To some extent we are. We still have a former colonial attitude to laws e.g, pub opening hours are negotiable, I can drive on a learners licence,I can build anywhere I like since I own the land, etc, etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Four Cabinet ministers yesterday wanted the 5k limit lifted according to the Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stheno wrote: »
    Four Cabinet ministers yesterday wanted the 5k limit lifted according to the Indo

No surprise there but we'll still be told theres no tensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

And if they could convince their fellow cabinet ministers, it would have happened. I've said already on this thread they are forgetting their role as the ultimate decision makers and making sure Holohan is the fall guy if it goes wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They might have to I think. Restrictions need to reviewed in line with compliance. At this stage people are understandably frustrated, yet have changed many behaviours positively (handwashing, distance).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement