Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

No surprise there but we'll still be told theres no tensions.

Probably something like:

"I'm not aware of any tensions but just to be clear, we are all working together in the interests of public health to ensure that the numbers are low on a consistent basis as advised by NPHET, by having these restrictions in place"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Colibri wrote: »
    "I'm not aware of any tensions but just to be clear, we are all working together in the interests of public health to ensure that the numbers are low on a consistent basis as advised by NPHET, by having these restrictions in place"

Indo also reporting that Tony H is not getting on particularly well with senior civil servants, an unusually blunt comment here from a government source
    Whatever about differences with the HSE, he is treading on toes in Government Buildings. Fraser, the Department of the Taoiseach secretary general, is the most powerful civil servant in the country. When he puts a plan in place it's expected everyone toes the line, so there was some surprise at Holohan's solo run on the celebrated 100,000 tests.

"He doesn't read the tea leaves very well. He could be more diplomatic. He's as wily as f**k. He's not stupid," a Government source said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Taoiseach is counting votes in his head and this is leading the decision making process.

I'm under no illusion that there is going to be quite some amount of arse covering in the decision making process.

And probably also some kicking the can syndrome which I see in corporate decision making processes too these days. As in avoid a decision until it can no longer be avoided and then make it unanimous so in case we got it wrong its no one's fault (it was the consensus at the time, what else could we do?).

But do really think they gamble the fate of the country on popularity percentages and party squabbles? I for one will give them the benefit of the doubt and rule that out for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stheno wrote: »
    Indo also reporting that Tony H is not getting on particularly well with senior civil servants, an unusually blunt comment here from a government source

Have you a link to that indo report? Cant seem to find it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you a link to that indo report? Cant seem to find it

It's the headline article but its behind the paywall

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/dissenting-doctors-bedside-manner-with-the-fragile-egos-and-relationships-in-government-is-ruffling-feathers-39209878.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think anyone on the with medical side of things would argue with the 100,000 tests a week, just how they would get there and that people were on the same page. It's good that the HSE have pushed back to define the limits of remits.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I don't think anyone on the with medical side of things would argue with the 100,000 tests a week, just how they got there and that people were on the same page. It's good that the HSE have pushed back to define the limits of remits.

Agreed on the tests, but tbh you cant have someone like the CMO effectively doing a solo run and causing unnecessary tensions at a time like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Just watching the bundesliga live and back in action there now.

It’s great to see a level of normality, strange without crowds but actually not as bad as I thought it would be.

One of our resident misery junkies on this thread was not long ago telling people how sport of any level was practically done for 2020 and definitely no chance before August/September.

Great to see countries not being obsessed with the misery, worst case scenario and fear and trying to move on, learning to live with the virus whilst being responsible in how they do it.

It can be done elsewhere, it can be done here.

Agreed on the tests, but tbh you cant have someone like the CMO effectively doing a solo run and causing unnecessary tensions at a time like this
    Well, the tensions are from 4 weeks back, even if some of the media and Alan Kelly have only discovered them now. They gave us that mid-May date as a plan in April anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

The reason the R numbers and cases are coming down is because the vast majority of Irish people are responsible , and are intelligent to take on board directives from a scientific body like NPHET , and WHO , unlike some posters here who describe them as clowns.
    I would rather take direction from people who have looked at the international body of research and come up with a plan , at this time of unprecedented crisis , than from Leo, Micheál or MaryLou.

The new Dáil committee is welcome , if only to ask questions that the public want asked , and for more transparency of decision making hopefully .

Most would like things to move quicker out of lockdown, but given the criticism , rightly so , of our slow start in quarantine and lockdown, it is clear to see that they want to get it right and are moving cautiously.
    One positive was that this roadmap is described as not set in stone , so all will depend on how things go with resurgence of the virus once we move out of lockdown.
    They have already said that some areas may be moved forward more quickly , depending on the situation at the time .

Don't forget a lot of Europe is a few weeks ahead of us from when the virus hit, and no doubt our careful caretakers are watching what happens in these countries before they take the brakes off here.

I think the school and creche situation should be looked at with a view to opening a few days a week before the holidays though. It is impossible to judge how this will affect the infection rate without trying some opening up, with social distancing of course.
    I would be concerned that we would face further resistance from insurers and teachers next August if not addressed now.
    It is a mistake that the childcare sector are not being supported to open up. How else can people return to work ?

No surprise there but we'll still be told theres no tensions.

That’s the way a government should work. Debate the points of a policy, but once agreed as a whole, even if there is dissent, present a united front.

the kelt wrote: »
    Just watching the bundesliga live and back in action there now.

It’s great to see a level of normality, strange without crowds but actually not as bad as I thought it would be.

One of our resident misery junkies on this thread was not long ago telling people how sport of any level was practically done for 2020 and definitely no chance before August/September.

Great to see countries not being obsessed with the misery, worst case scenario and fear and trying to move on, learning to live with the virus whilst being responsible in how they do it.

It can be done elsewhere, it can be done here.

What channel shows bundesliga in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

What channel shows bundesliga in Ireland?

BT sport

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-avoid-visiting-friends-homes-de-gascun-says-ahead-of-lockdown-easing-1.4255397?mode=amp

"Prof Gerry Killeen from UCC’s school of biological earth and environmental sciences, who has worked on malaria transmission control and methods to combat the Zika virus, said it was “absolutely” too soon to be lifting restrictions and that they should remain in place until the end of the summer or early autumn."

You really do have to look no further as to why theres a fear among some people if they're reading quotes like that.

Then you have De Gascun saying you can give someone a beer but dont use any knifes or forks if your meeting people outdoors and no longer than 15 mins. If your giving someone a beer they're going to be there a bit longer than 15 minutes. To me it just doesn't make sense.

“It’s just adding additional risk,” Dr De Gascún told RTÉ’s Saturday with Cormac Ó hEadra programme. “If you’re handing me a beer that’s fine, it can go straight into the bin or you can leave it on the wall… but if you’re giving me utensils or delph from your house, I’m seeding the virus on it.”

People should avoid interactions over 15 minutes and not meet multiple groups of people in one day, he said. He also advised that people restrict their social interactions to a small circle of friends and family in the coming weeks."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-avoid-visiting-friends-homes-de-gascun-says-ahead-of-lockdown-easing-1.4255397?mode=amp

"Prof Gerry Killeen from UCC’s school of biological earth and environmental sciences, who has worked on malaria transmission control and methods to combat the Zika virus, said it was “absolutely” too soon to be lifting restrictions and that they should remain in place until the end of the summer or early autumn."

You really do have to look no further as to why theres a fear among some people if they're reading quotes like that.

Then you have De Gascun saying you can give someone a beer but dont use any knifes or forks if your meeting people outdoors and no longer than 15 mins. If your giving someone a beer they're going to be there a bit longer than 15 minutes. To me it just doesn't make sense.

“It’s just adding additional risk,” Dr De Gascún told RTÉ’s Saturday with Cormac Ó hEadra programme. “If you’re handing me a beer that’s fine, it can go straight into the bin or you can leave it on the wall… but if you’re giving me utensils or delph from your house, I’m seeding the virus on it.”

People should avoid interactions over 15 minutes and not meet multiple groups of people in one day, he said. He also advised that people restrict their social interactions to a small circle of friends and family in the coming weeks."

Doesn't sound like spreading fear but common sense. Bring your own knife and fork if you want.

And yesterday in the press briefing Holohan said it was fine to meet outside in peoples gardens, now De Gascun is saying you should only meet in public places for 15 minutes

“It’s just adding additional risk,” Dr De Gascún told RTɒs Saturday with Cormac Ó hEadra programme. “If you’re handing me a beer that’s fine, it can go straight into the bin or you can leave it on the wall… but if you’re giving me utensils or delph from your house, I’m seeding the virus on it.”

Is that the academic who was fuming at Gardai without masks earlier in the week? One can really know too much to have a healthy perspective on life!

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like spreading fear but common sense. Bring your own knife and fork if you want.

The spreading fear part is the UCC professor.

The De Gascun part just doesn't make sense. If someone has virus on their hands and passes me a beer and I hold that beer then it's the same as handing me a knife with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

“It’s just adding additional risk,” Dr De Gascún told RTɒs Saturday with Cormac Ó hEadra programme. “If you’re handing me a beer that’s fine, it can go straight into the bin or you can leave it on the wall… but if you’re giving me utensils or delph from your house, I’m seeding the virus on it.”

My advice to people is to look back at previous outbreaks ie sars, ebola swine flu and look at what guys like those were saying back then. Predicting thousands dead in UK with swine flu if they didnt go on lockdown

Total alarmist bulls##t.

Those guys need to stay relevant, its events like this they salivate towards their whole careers. They are in danger of being irrelevant in a few weeks so the need to make noise.

Is that Gerry lad the man that was on Yates show during the week talking about Covid making yards over the gainline?

• Advertisement

And yesterday in the press briefing Holohan said it was fine to meet outside in peoples gardens, now De Gascun is saying you should only meet in public places for 15 minutes

What they say seems to change every day. Hand me a beer but dont let me stay more than 15 minutes... ok

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The number of posters in this thread who are going to look very foolish come the Autumn is extraordinary when this takes off again. :eek:

Same posters will claim they never pushed for premature opening of the economy and return to normal in the teeth of expert advice, precedents and warnings.

I suspect many will disappear actually rather than be reminded!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I haven’t seen anyone in this thread saying the lockdown should be extended for months. So many straw man arguments. People need some perspective on what’s been happening in other parts of the world. Our lockdown has been soft compared to Italy, Spain, France etc. I do think the roadmap could be sped up though. The government seem to be taking advice almost exclusively from doctors and scientists. Are economists getting a look in at all. Probably one of the disadvantages of having a doctor as Taoiseach.

The number of posters in this thread who are going to look very foolish come the Autumn is extraordinary when this takes off again. :eek:

Same posters will claim they never pushed for premature opening of the economy and return to normal in the teeth of expert advice, precedents and warnings.

I suspect many will disappear actually rather than be reminded!

And if the dreaded second wave doesn't come like it hasn't in other countries at this moment will you disappear rather than be reminded?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

What they say seems to change every day. Hand me a beer but dont let me stay more than 15 minutes... ok

Drink up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

What happens if all the European countries that are reopened now get back on their feet and live again with no second wave etc. while Ireland continues under lockdown misery until August (which is pretty much end of the world economically speaking) ? Will people not feel like we should have followed the other countries and reopened now?

The spreading fear part is the UCC professor.

The De Gascun part just doesn't make sense. If someone has virus on their hands and passes me a beer and I hold that beer then it's the same as handing me a knife with it.

The more you handle stuff directly from someone outside your family bubble the more likely you are to pick something up. Also the longer you stay talking ...ditto.

A professor who has experience in environmental science and virus control, is not spreading "fear" . It's widely accepted that public servants who are being exposed to a lot of people would be advised to wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Watching Leipzig v Freiburg. Absolutely amazing, 22 men completely forgot about covid, social distancing, masks, gloves, 0.25% mortality.

Life is back and somewhat ironically we have Germans to thank for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

MadYaker wrote: »
    I haven’t seen anyone in this thread saying the lockdown should be extended for months. So many straw man arguments. People need some perspective on what’s been happening in other parts of the world. Our lockdown has been soft compared to Italy, Spain, France etc. I do think the roadmap could be sped up though. The government seem to be taking advice almost exclusively from doctors and scientists. Are economists getting a look in at all. Probably one of the disadvantages of having a doctor as Taoiseach.

Our lockdown has not being soft considering our population.
    Lombardy had 10m people in an area the size of Munster.
    At least compare like for like.
    Italy is in talks about reigniting tourism, all the while in Irealnd we have talks about rolling back to phase 1.

I agree with everything else you said

• Advertisement

And if the dreaded second wave doesn't come like it hasn't in other countries will you disappear rather than be reminded?
    Even if it does we've got a lot more tools now and we will manage it a lot better. We should also have possible treatments and a lot more scientific knowledge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement