Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Restrictions are lifted in Cork city. Place is mobbed. Queues around the block for English Market, Three Fools Coffee, Soma Coffee, Cameron's Fine Bakery. Even Supervalu was crazy busy. It's not even sunny!

The people of Cork will ruin it for the rest of us. Tony and the de Gascon chap will be giving out to us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Restrictions are lifted in Cork city. Place is mobbed. Queues around the block for English Market, Three Fools Coffee, Soma Coffee, Cameron's Fine Bakery. Even Supervalu was crazy busy. It's not even sunny!
    was in donegal town this morning picking up bread. hardly a soul. no problem social distancing in aldi either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

The fact this is thanked by people encouraging a fast reopening tells you all you need to know. I realy do despair. Good luck Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

In some cases yes, but not always. There's just a lot more people walking around generally.

Well, I guess that this is what has to happen no? Life has to get back on track, and hopefully people will take appropriate distancing measures to reduce transmission, but it was never about eliminating it, only allowing the health service to cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

The people of Cork will ruin it for the rest of us. Tony and the de Gascon chap will be giving out to us now.

Tony will give the lads in Three Fools a good stern look.

God I love that place, haven't had a coffee there since probably late February. Nicest coffee in Cork. Best service too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Well, I guess that this is what has to happen no? Life has to get back on track, and hopefully people will take appropriate distancing measures to reduce transmission, but it was never about eliminating it, only allowing the health service to cope.

Yes, but the timing is interesting. Government advice hasn't actually changed all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Right.

So how do they decide when to lift restrictions? Do you think they know themselves what numbers they are aiming for?

They have criteria, you can be sure.

They do and they explain them for all to hear , on every daily briefing , repeatedly, again and again , over and over, like a boards.ie poster, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The fact this is thanked by people encouraging a fast reopening tells you all you need to know. I realy do despair. Good luck Cork.

I thanked it because it’s true.
    The fear is gone down here, there are people everywhere. Walking through the city centre it’s like a normal Saturday except nothings open.
    People are walking around drinking coffee & giving business to the few shops that are tradings.
    They’re getting takeaway from the cafes & restaurants & eating it on benches and in the park.

Considering 4 major businesses on Patrick St. alone have announced permanent closure since lockdown started 9 weeks ago, I think it’s heart warming to see so many people supporting the local economy, and long may it last.

Ah stop. It is the elderly this is lethal too.

We now know this is lethal to primarily the elderly. The median age of death is beyond life expectancy in Ireland.

Outside of that age group it's no worse than any seasonal respiratory illness.

Ignorant post yet again.

SusieBlue wrote: »

Considering 4 major businesses on Patrick St. alone have announced permanent closure since lockdown started 9 weeks ago, I think it’s heart warming to see so many people supporting the local economy, and long may it last.

Debenhams is all I know of, damn. Which other businesses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

We now know this is lethal to primarily the elderly. The median age of death is beyond life expectancy in Ireland.

Utter tosh. 13% hospitalization rate makes it significantly worse than "any seasonal respiratory illness".

Colibri wrote: »

Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No they werent .General life extectancy is an irrelevant metric as it is distorted by people who die of young age.

The life expectancy at age 80 in Ireland is 88.6 years.

https://knoema.com/atlas/topics/Demographics/Age/Life-expectancy-at-age-80-years

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Ignorant post yet again.

Not just ignorant, completely false too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Colibri wrote: »

Debenhams, Hairspray, Oasis, and Holland & Barrett. There’s surely more to come, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I thanked it because it’s true.
    The fear is gone down here, there are people everywhere. Walking through the city centre it’s like a normal Saturday except nothings open.
    People are walking around drinking coffee & giving business to the few shops that are tradings.
    They’re getting takeaway from the cafes & restaurants & eating it on benches and in the park.

Aye, all seems completely reasonable. Hopefully they get the pubs back open very quickly. Get a few games of sport with packed stadiums on the go. We need to stop living in fear. Gather together again and celebrate life, not hide away. Government lies controlling the population. Make Cork great again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

ek motor wrote: »
    Utter tosh. 13% hospitalization rate makes it significantly worse than "any seasonal respiratory illness".

Utter tosh.

Until all asymptomatic caes are tested and proved positive that stat is tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭prunudo

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread it appears as if a large number of the public have had enough and decided how to deal with the virus themselves, they are now one phase ahead of the government thinks we should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

If only that was true.
    Around 15% of cases, need hospital treatment, including around 3% of cases that require ICU and follow on rehab.
    Definitely worse than any seasonal respiratory illness.

Debenhams, Hairspray, Oasis, and Holland & Barrett. There’s surely more to come, too.

Ah ****. Definitely more to come.

I worked for a short amount of time in the Sony Centre, where hairspray is/was. Remember the grand parade a few years back, lots of it was shuttered. I'm not looking forward to that.

• Advertisement

coastwatch wrote: »
    If only that was true.
    Around 15% of cases, need hospital treatment, including around 3% of cases that require ICU and follow on rehab.
    Definitely worse than any seasonal respiratory illness.

Have those percentages accounted for asymptomatic cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Its closer to 1.3% than 13%

We missed alot of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Well this is surprising.

"The country's largest teachers' union says primary school children might have to wear personal protective equipment when they go back to class."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/into-teachers-and-students-might-need-ppe-when-schools-reopen-999941.html

Especially when its been proven that under 14 year olds arent even as infectious as adults.

Anyone here thinks children at the age of 7 8 9 10 11 12 wearing PPE is a sound idea?

This has not been proven.

Even the HIQA publication "Evidence summary of potential for children to contribute to transmission of SARS-CoV-2" noted "The emerging evidence in the included studies has highlighted child to adult or family member transmission has the potential to occur ...the studies focused on intra-familial and close contact transmission suggested transmission from children to other family members could occur."

Other large primary studies indicate there is no reason to conclude children are any less succeptable or infectious than adults.

https://zoonosen.charite.de/fileadmin/user_upload/microsites/m_cc05/virologie-ccm/dateien_upload/Weitere_Dateien/analysis-of-SARS-CoV-2-viral-load-by-patient-age.pdf compares viral load, as a proxy for infectivity, in 3712 SARS-CoV-2 positive patients from 59,381 screened found no difference in viral load between age groups and cautions - "The viral loads observed in the present study, combined with earlier findings of similar attack
    rate between children and adults (2), suggest that transmission potential in schools and
    kindergartens should be evaluated using the same assumptions of infectivity as for adults."

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Its closer to 1.3% than 13%

We missed alot of cases

Dont let common sense beat hysteria

I look forward to having a drink with friends again. However, the minute the pubs open I'm staying away from them for a couple of weeks to see if infection rates rebound. If not, then I'll venture out as normal. I'm young and healthy but still don't want to catch this bloody virus. I've never even caught the real flu, so I can only imagine how much worse a respiratory illness would feel.

It isn't lost on me that this level of caution will prolong a downturn, but my family and I are not cannon fodder for economists.

Not just ignorant, completely false too.

Him and another line here on this thread together, spouting ignorant remarks , taking people out of context .
    Have been pulled up by many but they keep rolling on.
    Had a look at the thread last night...the two of them were on all day from early morning and again today.
    Seriously , most people have other stuff to do, lockdown or no !

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Does anyone know if any of the countries now easing restrictions have a roadmap to end social distancing between friends, families and partners? I know there is no light at the end of the tunnel in that regard for us.

My boyfriend visited my house earlier and had a very socially distant chat in the garden with myself and my daughter. I think it actually made me feel worse to be honest. I get the reason for social distancing but it feels like we're living in some sort of dystopia at this point.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Him and another line here on this thread together, spouting ignorant remarks , taking people out of context .
    Have been pulled up by many but they keep rolling on.
    Had a look at the thread last night...the two of them were on all day from early morning and again today.
    Seriously , most people have other stuff to do, lockdown or no !

Dont worry Pal, I was working all day yesterday, and today Im not making unnecessary journeys as directed by the government, so I have loads of time for arguing.

I think its only fair to call out your hysteric ramblings for the balance of argument on the thread. Your starting to beat a lonely drum here, however, and suggesting this is lethal to all will get called out.

Does anyone know if any of the countries now easing restrictions have a roadmap to end social distancing between friends, families and partners? I know there is no light at the end of the tunnel in that regard for us.

My boyfriend visited my house earlier and had a very socially distant chat in the garden with myself and my daughter. I think it actually made me feel worse to be honest. I get the reason for social distancing but it feels like we're living in some sort of dystopia at this point.

I solved this problem by having my boyfriend move in with me. We quarantined together for a month as it was early on in the lockdown. If we didn't do this then we would have been counties apart.

• Advertisement

Utter tosh.

Until all asymptomatic caes are tested and proved positive that stat is tosh.

It is true - 'The median age of confirmed cases is 48 years, while 3,062 cases (13%) have been hospitalised'

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0515/1138712-covid-update-ireland/

Please try putting forward your argument without posting blatant falsehoods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement