Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Okay well I had been listening carefully, I thought.

The only target I heard from our CMO was ‘as low as possible’.

I will admit to be banging my drum a little bit, but would genuinely appreciate if you can tell me what the criteria are for moving to phase 2?

You're correct the other poster is being disingenuous

Their key metrics appear to be new cases, cases in hospital, and cases in ICU along with testing capacity, those are what they consistently refer to

Tony Holohan refuses point blank to even give a range of figures, e.g. we cannot move to phase two if we se a 10 day trend in downward numbers of cases, hospital cases, and ICU numbers, and 99% of all tests in that time completed and contact tracing for positive done within 3 days

That detail is what he has several times refused to give

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Colibri wrote: »
    That's a cheap shot.

Its part of the anti American tripe seen so much lately

People have short memories in Ireland. America has been a refuge for those who left Ireland in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Nermal wrote: »
    We don't need estimates, we have serology studies. Middle column.

https://twitter.com/RF_HFC/status/1252210492531183622

Bear in mind this is 'attended the hospital'.

Not 'would have died if didn't attend hospital'.

Repeating any statistic where the denominator is confirmed cases is fearmongering.

You are confusing me with someone else . I didn't give any statistics as there aren't any gor estimated cases, only rough guides.
    What does this post mean ?
    It's all Dutch to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

We don't listen to media, scientists, experts, precedent....we have our feelings sums up some posters in this thread.

Very aligned to these people...very aligned

https://twitter.com/KevinVesey/status/1261001977598808065

It's uncanny :eek:

You'll get people supporting these fools on this thread I guarantee it. I'm convinced that Gemma yoke posts here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You are confusing me with someone else . I didn't give any statistics as there aren't any gor estimated cases, only rough guides.
    What does this post mean ?
    It's all Dutch to me

I think thats what Tony H says too when he sees data from other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You dont see the bigger picture. The very fact so many people protest and ignore coronaflu, defeats the purpose of any lockdown.

Arizona have sacked their whole "covid medical response team". More than 30 US states are already opened.

Unless Ireland will cocoon itself until a vaccine is found and close its borders, what we are doing till 10th of Aug is pointless.

Republican states will pay the price for stupidity. All states where infection rates are rising are now republican. That's not a coincidence. It's cause and effect.

If you remove all reference to Trump from that video - that's you guys...

Not the best company to keep! Same arguments, same demeanor, same delusion, same denial, same selfishness and actually paranoia. That you are somehow being punished or wronged. That you're the victim and not older people or the vulnerable.

It's not a good place to be really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

angela1711 wrote: »
    How the hell am I suppose to go back to work on Monday if all childcare facilities are shut and you are not allowed to hire a babysitter either ? It looks like one of my co-workers with school-aged kids won’t be able to go back to work until September ?! What are people with children suppose to do ?

They are so out of touch with reality that they have never thought about it.

Republican states will pay the price for stupidity. All states where infection rates are rising are now republican. That's not a coincidence. It's cause and effect.

Not the best company to keep! Same arguments, same demeanor, same delusion, same denial, same selfishness and actually paranoia. That you are somehow being punished or wronged.

Having 820 eur monthly income is not a good place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The models :D Friday night comedy was yesterday. Not a single model proved to be even 20% accurate.

The models didn't account for our lockdown. The models were what would happen if we didn't lock down.

I'll say it again: THE MODELS PREDICTED WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF WE DIDN'T LOCK DOWN.

I'm not sure why you aren't getting this.

That poster, like Tony Holohan is still approaching this as if the fatality rate was still 6%, as initially thought at the time of implementing the restrictions in Ireland.

Who are you talking about there , "pal"?
    I have a lot more real experience of this than you , sitting behind your keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0516/1138803-government-establishes-return-to-sport-expert-group/

A return to Sport Expert Group is being set up . All very fine but where is the Return to Work Group or Return to School Expert Group
    Priorities please Mr Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Getting heated in here. Off to watch something on Netflix! Have a good night folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    my gut feeling about all this - is that a month to six weeks down the line we'll be back to square one again and back indoors, lockdown part deux
    SNNUS wrote: »
    Gut feeling or hoping for another lock down? The allure of lock down for some must be masking some issues...

as i said in the post - gut feeling

i'm not hoping for anything of the sort :rolleyes:

Okay well I had been listening carefully, I thought.

The only target I heard from our CMO was ‘as low as possible’.

I will admit to be banging my drum a little bit, but would genuinely appreciate if you can tell me what the criteria are for moving to phase 2?

Why don't you listen to the briefings or read the papers ? Much more reliable than boards ..and make your own mind up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

MadYaker wrote: »
    The models didn't account for our lockdown. The models were what would happen if we didn't lock down.

I'll say it again: THE MODELS PREDICTED WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF WE DIDN'T LOCK DOWN.

There's no evidence for that. There's nothing to say simple physical distancing wouldn't have worked as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Why don't you listen to the briefings or read the papers ? Much more reliable than boards ..and make your own mind up.

Outside of the vague number of new cases/hospitalisations/amount in ICU that gets trotted out at the briefings there are no firm kpis indicating what criteria are used to determine moving through the phases

The only one that seems to be there is the R0

You dont seem to understand this. It's frustrating for people to not have a clearer I'd of what the criteria are

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

Can anyone advise me on a question - we have a house in Donegal that we let out for the holiday market; obviously it has been empty since March, but I think it is Ok to start letting again from Phase 4 (20th July). As it happens we have a booking for 18th July - but it may get cancelled as it is for someone from England; but then we have bookings from the following week through until mid September.

I live in Clare, but I want to go up there the weekend of 11th July to open the house up, get it ready & tidy the garden; its seems reasonable to me to travel ahead of 20th July to prepare a business for reopening. Is there any government helpline or similar I can get in touch with to ask such a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Having 820 eur monthly income is not a good place to be.

I have no doubt at all that the majority of people on COVID payments will be back in work being paid by the end of the summer.

In response you'll deny that and claim the world is falling down around our ears.

Simply not true.

Im not getting as models predicted 100,000 dead Swedish people off covid.

Please enlighten us, what error % was "the models" there?

And what did Sweden do to make your models prediction so way, waaaaaayyyy OFF?

PS answer is not a lockdown.

I think thats what Tony H says too when he sees data from other countries.

Well it is in Dutch, so how can you make sense of that ?

• Advertisement

They contracted their GDP by 5-20% and created 15-30% unemployment.

Also, a lot of people over 70 year old died and keep dying even as lockdowns are lifted, unfortunately.

Can you help me out on benefits? Preferably with some actual numbers.

Compare the numbers that the models predicted to what we actually had here in Ireland and the difference is the effect of the lockdown. Varadker said the modelling predicted 15,000 cases by the end of march. So we implemented lockdown in mid march and slowed the virus right down so as not to overwhelm the health service as happened in Italy and Spain and New York to a lesser extent. Its really not that complicated.

I agree that we should move out of lockdown quicker. But to say that the lockdown is pointless and had no effect is utterly moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Not the best company to keep! Same arguments, same demeanor, same delusion, same denial, same selfishness and actually paranoia. That you are somehow being punished or wronged. That you're the victim and not older people or the vulnerable.

Nope. Some red states were as strict as Cuomo and Gretchen. Some blue states less so. It isn't strictly partisan, though that would be the party politics of a foreign country.

I'm not angry or paranoid, I just have my point of view which you obviously dislike. Plenty of experts with different opinions have been quoted and linked to on the all III Relaxation of restrictions threads.

Im not getting as models predicted 100,000 dead Swedish people off covid.

Please enlighten us, what error % was "the models" there?

And what did Sweden do to make your models prediction so way, waaaaaayyyy OFF?

PS answer is not a lockdown.

Where did you get those numbers from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Georgia's been open 3 weeks and cases continue to decline.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1261353327113244675

That doesn't fit the narrative unfortunately.

I have no doubt at all that the majority of people on COVID payments will be back in work being paid by the end of the summer.

In response you'll deny that and claim the world is falling down around our ears.

Simply not true.

20 to 25% of construction workers back on Monday, are you sure in your prediction?

Director of construction in Ireland has said this.

A factor that is rarely mentioned is that time is not a luxury the elderly population have. I know from experience that for the average couple in the 80 year old range, visits to the GP are a routine requirement. These people had far more difficult lifestyles than us, smoking was fashion, health foods were unheard of. Consequently their continued good health, generally speaking, is dependant on a functioning medical structure.

As that structure is currently blocked, it won't be long until grandad and grandma, who you have sheltered from covid by dropping food at the gate, waving through the window, denying their pleas to hug their grandkids, need medical attention.
    So they are picked up by an ambulance and taken to hospital.
    After all the sacrifice and effort to shield them from germs they are couriered into the very heart of the miasma.
    And they never got to hug their grandchild.
    Old people are still getting sick and dieing, just like they always have.
    The tragedy is that now they are deprived of the touch of their family.
    I know a woman who would gladly sit her grandchild on her knee now, even if it robbed her of her last few years.

tombrown wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me on a question - we have a house in Donegal that we let out for the holiday market; obviously it has been empty since March, but I think it is Ok to start letting again from Phase 4 (20th July). As it happens we have a booking for 18th July - but it may get cancelled as it is for someone from England; but then we have bookings from the following week through until mid September.

I live in Clare, but I want to go up there the weekend of 11th July to open the house up, get it ready & tidy the garden; its seems reasonable to me to travel ahead of 20th July to prepare a business for reopening. Is there any government helpline or similar I can get in touch with to ask such a question?

Ring your local police station and ask is your best option

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Georgia's been open 3 weeks and cases continue to decline.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1261353327113244675

That doesn't fit the narrative unfortunately.

You need to stop getting your news from twitter. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/georgia/

tombrown wrote: »

Try accomodation and property forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You need to stop getting your news from twitter. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/georgia/

That's Georgia, the country near Russia. He's talking about the US state of Georgia.

Also your worldometer link shows active cases declining for that country.

Projections based on numbers so far for US state of Georgia look pretty good btw. https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/georgia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement