Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

MadYaker wrote: »
    Where did you get those numbers from?

Pay attention now ok? I dont want to be showing you how bad and false "models" really are.

"The model stressed its own urgency as well. Sweden would have to adopt a lockdown policy similar to the rest of Europe immediately if it wished to avert catastrophe. As the authors explained, under “conservative” estimates using their model “the current Swedish public-health strategy will result in a peak intensive-care load in May that exceeds pre-pandemic capacity by over 40-fold, with a median mortality of 96,000 (95% CI 52,000 to 183,000)” being realized by the end of June."

https://www.aier.org/article/imperial-college-model-applied-to-sweden-yields-preposterous-results/

Can we please stop acting like fools? The models we've been presented from the very start are not even 10% accurate. Lockdown or no lockdown.

Remember this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

20 to 25% of construction workers back on Monday, are you sure in your prediction?

Director of construction in Ireland has said this.

100% sure.

Not all construction sites will be ready for Monday as the CIF has said.

This is not 2010 when the economy had a crippling structural imbalance. This is of a far temporary nature. It's not the same dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Stheno wrote: »
    Their key metrics appear to be new cases, cases in hospital, and cases in ICU along with testing capacity, those are what they consistently refer to

Tony Holohan refuses point blank to even give a range of figures, e.g. we cannot move to phase two if we se a 10 day trend in downward numbers of cases, hospital cases, and ICU numbers, and 99% of all tests in that time completed and contact tracing for positive done within 3 days

That detail is what he has several times refused to give

In terms of ICU numbers, which appear to have the most weight of importance, while the number of Covid cases are falling, the number of non-covid are rising, so we mostly end up with around the same number of ICU beds (think it's been hovering around 155/156 the last 5/6 days) so it seems like an odd metric to weigh things on. There could be a lot of non-Covid patients now needing ICU because they've avoided or had treatments postponed over the last two months.

Realistically we just need better test and trace, and if we have excess capacity like last week where we had 45k tests vs 90k capacity, we should be using that excess capacity to test randomly in various communities to try and build a greater understanding of where we're at, at that level, around the county

I like Germany's approach to this, I think they've it set up so if one of their regions goes over 50 cases per 100,000, they lock it down again. I would hope our lot would look to it as a a possible way out, when you look at the incidence ratings per county its clear that some are vastly more challenging than others. They don't seem to want to divide the place up though so it seems unlikely. Hopefully we're given criteria this week, the moving goalposts are a feckin dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Stark wrote: »
    That's Georgia, the country near Russia. He's talking about the US state of Georgia.

Also that worldometer link shows active cases declining.

Georgia (the country) only locked down Tblisi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Colibri wrote: »
    Getting heated in here. Off to watch something on Netflix! Have a good night folks.

It isn't really though, most sensible people seemed to have abandoned the thread. All that is left is a load of people who are on the extreme in regards to the status quo and now seem to think they are disease control experts, economists and data analysis experts all rollled into one that know exactly the strategy the country should now be taking. :pac:

The rest of us and most people are just getting on with it continuing to wait for the actual people who are educated, knowledgeable and skilled in those things to continue issuing guidance and advice that we can follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have no doubt at all that the majority of people on COVID payments will be back in work being paid by the end of the summer.

In response you'll deny that and claim the world is falling down around our ears.

Simply not true.

That’s a very grand assumption to make. Even the businesses that survive this won’t be in a position to take back all of their staff.

If restaurants can only operate at half capacity because of social distancing are they going to need all their waiters and waitresses?
    If pubs are only doing table service are they going to need the same amount of bar staff?

Have a friend who works in a crèche and she has already been told that if the government insist on reducing the number of children in each room to incorporate social distancing, they won’t be able to accommodate roughly half the children on their books.
    Which means the extra staff they previously needed to make up ratios in each room will be permanently let go - roughly just over a third of the staff.
    Crèches are oversubscribed as it it, so any parent whose child loses their place won’t be able to go back to work even if they have a job to go to.

If social distancing is here to stay it’s wilful ignorance to suggest most of the workforce will be going back to work. Less customers in these businesses will mean less requirement for staff, that goes without saying.
    And that’s just the business that will be in a position to reopen, many won’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Compare the numbers that the models predicted to what we actually had here in Ireland and the difference is the effect of the lockdown. Varadker said the modelling predicted 15,000 cases by the end of march. So we implemented lockdown in mid march and slowed the virus right down so as not to overwhelm the health service as happened in Italy and Spain and New York to a lesser extent. Its really not that complicated.

I agree that we should move out of lockdown quicker. But to say that the lockdown is pointless and had no effect is utterly moronic.

The modelling was predicting 15,000 cases by the end of March with a lockdown.

They were all based on the imperial college London model which has been proven to be way off.

Likewise a consultant from the HSE said on here that upto 150,000 people could die. To even suggest 3% of the population could have died seems laughable now but this is what was being told to us.

That's Georgia, the country near Russia. He's talking about the US state of Georgia.

Also your worldometer link shows active cases declining for that country.

Projections based on numbers so far for US state of Georgia look pretty good btw. https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/georgia

Talk about getting owned.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

20 to 25% of construction workers back on Monday, are you sure in your prediction?

Director of construction in Ireland has said this.

Who is the director of construction?

jibber5000 wrote: »

They were all based on the imperial college London model which has been proven to be way off.

Likewise a consultant from the HSE said on here that upto 150,000 people could die. To even suggest 3% of the population could have died seems laughable now but this is what was being told to us.

Yesss, I was going to say that Leo Varadkar prediction of 15,000 cases by end of March WITH a lockdown in place was, erm, off. off? REALLY OFF.

He hasnt recovered since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm just catching up with today's report in the IT over dinner and found an interesting paragraph :
    The reproduction rate of the virus is currently between 0.4 and 0.6. This means it takes two Covid-19 patients to infect one other person on average. At its height in early March, the reproduction rate was 3.7 and before Covid-19 restrictions were imposed it was 1.6.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-15-new-deaths-reported-in-the-republic-new-cases-below-100-for-first-time-since-march-1.4255433

So... Before any restrictions were imposed, without doing anything, the transmission rate had already more than halved, and since then with nearly 2 months of restrictions it's gone down only another point?

Am I missing something? Because if not you'd have to wonder if the level of restrictions (and the damage they've caused to the economy) were justified at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Also your worldometer link shows active cases declining for that country.

Projections based on numbers so far for US state of Georgia look pretty good btw. https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/georgia

Considering it was in reply to a comment about Republican states reaction to Covid, I presumed that would have been obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Kermit aren't you an FG supporter?

Paschal Donohue warned of 300k to be out of work for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Lyle wrote: »
    In terms of ICU numbers, which appear to have the most weight of importance, while the number of Covid cases are falling, the number of non-covid are rising, so we mostly end up with around the same number of ICU beds (think it's been hovering around 155/156 the last 5/6 days) so it seems like an odd metric to weigh things on. There could be a lot of non-Covid patients now needing ICU because they've avoided or had treatments postponed over the last two months.

Realistically we just need better test and trace, and if we have excess capacity like last week where we had 45k tests vs 90k capacity, we should be using that excess capacity to test randomly in various communities to try and build a greater understanding of where we're at, at that level, around the county

I like Germany's approach to this, I think they've it set up so if one of their regions goes over 50 cases per 100,000, they lock it down again. I would hope our lot would look to it as a a possible way out, when you look at the incidence ratings per county its clear that some are vastly more challenging than others. They don't seem to want to divide the place up though so it seems unlikely. Hopefully we're given criteria this week, the moving goalposts are a feckin dose.

When they give ICU beds as a metric , it is Covid patients they are talking about, not non Covid .
    Testing randomly does not make things clearer as a negative result doesn't mean the patient is negative and not a risk, just virus not detected at the time of testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Georgia's been open 3 weeks and cases continue to decline.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1261353327113244675

That doesn't fit the narrative unfortunately.

Positive news doesn't sell as well as fear does clearly.

If certain people actually cared about getting the virus under control rather than just thriving on the negative stories then they would post that themselves. But they never do. Never any good news with some.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm just catching up with today's report in the IT over dinner and found an interesting paragraph :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-15-new-deaths-reported-in-the-republic-new-cases-below-100-for-first-time-since-march-1.4255433

So... Before any restrictions were imposed, without doing anything, the transmission rate had already more than halved, and since then with nearly 2 months of restrictions it's gone down only another point?

Am I missing something? Because if not you'd have to wonder if the level of restrictions (and the damage they've caused to the economy) were justified at all?

What evidence exists that restrictions work?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well there's a huge difference between 1.6 and 0.6. At 1.6, cases are growing in an exponential manner. At 0.6, they're declining in a similar manner. So we absolutely had to act when the R0 number was at 1.6.

Concern in my mind is at 0.9, they're also declining and the trade-offs of light touch restrictions that get us that far vs extreme restrictions which destroy the economy in order to get us from 0.9 to 0.6 aren't being given enough consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You have link that backs that up?

We did our own modelling we didn't base it off the UK. Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group was what we based our plan off not the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well there's a huge difference between 1.6 and 0.6. At 1.6, cases are growing in an exponential manner. At 0.6, they're declining in a similar manner.

Yep but from the above it would suggest that the virus was already dying out before we did anything at all?

I'm not saying we should have done nothing, but did we overreact even at that early stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

It was only a matter of time before joe public turned on the CMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Article is somewhat ambiguous but I think they're referring to the full lockdown when they say Covid restrictions? We did have some lighter restrictions between early March and the full lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Georgia's been open 3 weeks and cases continue to decline.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1261353327113244675

That doesn't fit the narrative unfortunately.

It was opened on April 30th. That is closer to 2 weeks. As we know from the earlier waves of Coronavirus the rates of infection and the periods of time it was ciruclating in countries before the spikes mean that we won't see the true impacts of reopening for around 3-4 weeks. The same way we came down after lockdown will be the same way we see things come up. I am not making a judegement on what will happen in Georgia just saying that your narrtive is the one here not really giving the full picture.

Article is somewhat ambiguous but I think they're referring to the full lockdown when they say Covid restrictions? We did have some lighter restrictions between early March and the full lockdown.

Yes. The same light restrictions Sweden have of no public gatherings over 50 people, social distancing, wash hands.

That has halved the R number in early March.

That has also reduced the R number down to under 1.

Lockdown was there just bankrupting businesses.

Pay attention now ok? I dont want to be showing you how bad and false "models" really are.

"The model stressed its own urgency as well. Sweden would have to adopt a lockdown policy similar to the rest of Europe immediately if it wished to avert catastrophe. As the authors explained, under “conservative” estimates using their model “the current Swedish public-health strategy will result in a peak intensive-care load in May that exceeds pre-pandemic capacity by over 40-fold, with a median mortality of 96,000 (95% CI 52,000 to 183,000)” being realized by the end of June."

https://www.aier.org/article/imperial-college-model-applied-to-sweden-yields-preposterous-results/

Can we please stop acting like fools? The models we've been presented from the very start are not even 10% accurate. Lockdown or no lockdown.

Remember this.

Sweden has twice our ICU capacity and they already have a way higher death rate with a third of the testing so their numbers are under reported.

You need to look at all countries and not just sweden. Every european country that implemented lockdown saw a significant drop in cases 2 weeks later (the incubation times for this virus) Are you saying that was coincidence in every single country where the pattern was repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭crossman47

Yep but from the above it would suggest that the virus was already dying out before we did anything at all?

I'm not saying we should have done nothing, but did we overreact even at that early stage?

That misses the point completely. At 1.6 it was growing exponentionally. it had to be stopped in its tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yesss, I was going to say that Leo Varadkar prediction of 15,000 cases by end of March WITH a lockdown in place was, erm, off. off? REALLY OFF.

He hasnt recovered since.

That prediction was if nothing was done except social distancing and the R number continued as it was.
    Off, Wayyy off...you are

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

After listening to guff like above its only natural that crutical thinking people are now questioning what the fcuk is going on and why are we the most restricted citizens in Europe?

What evidence exists that restrictions work?

Every single european country where cases dropped after lockdown?

Sweden has twice our ICU capacity and they already have a way higher death rate with a third of the testing so their numbers are under reported.

You need to look at all countries and not just sweden. Every european country that implemented lockdown saw a significant drop in cases 2 weeks later (the incubation times for this virus) Are you saying that was coincidence in every single country where the pattern was repeated?

This is a load of rubbish. First you ask for a link. Once link is provided to you, you retreat to "you need to look at other countries not just Sweden".

Idk why I am evening responding to you, you didnt know there is a US state Georgia. Well, you live and learn. Just like you live and you learn that the "models" are a load of ****e.

• Advertisement

This is a load of rubbish. First you ask for a link. Once link is provided to you, you retreat to "you need to look at other countries not just Sweden".

Idk why I am evening responding to you, you didnt know there is a US state Georgia. Well, you live and learn. Just like you live and you learn that the "models" are a load of ****e.

I think its reasonable to look a variety of countries including sweden to get a balanced view of what is happening. You are picking one single country and basing your position on that because it suits your own views.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement