Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

SusieBlue wrote: »
    You said the numbers grow slowly and then explode when we aren’t curbing the spread by utilising extreme measures.
    I don’t think it’s unreasonable to query why that won’t happen in August and why it will happen if we lift things a bit quicker, but if that counts to you as coming to ‘mad conclusions’ then fair enough :pac:

You took my quote out of context which is often what people do when they are trying to be deliberately deceptive. I am not interested in debating with people who have an agenda to push and can't be opened minded especially when those people are creative in the way they present my own posts.

The post specifically referred to a situation where you have increasing cases day on day indicating that you are in phase that without severe restrictions will cause exponential growth of the virus in areas of dense population.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He's right.

Can't criticise someone for telling it like it is.

If infection rates surge then new impositions have to be introduced. If they don't then we can move forward.

Given Ireland's climate during summer can be damp and cool conditions for spread may also be superior here to the continent when the heat builds there.[/QUOTE

As long as I've been on here I have always found your posts fairly well thought out and well rounded...even on this thread when I've disagreed with a lot of what you've said.

But that post above is a step into the abyss. The virus is going to spread because of damp conditions...it has been raining across europe for a lot of April and May!

Cillian de Gascun knows we will never go back and can never go back...but he's going to tell us that might be the case to scare us into behaving as they think we should.
    No it is to make us act as we should not how they think we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

MadYaker wrote: »
    No crowds at the horse racing I think and way less people than usual in general. I wouldn't be against it. Sould be easy enough to maintain social distancing.
    How can the jockeys social distance during a race. All races have horses close to each other and bumping into each other. Theres no social distance in existence.
    Are the jockeys socially isolating from the families, I doubt it.
    Leo stated it's because they contribute 500 m to the economy.
    Looks like he ignore the majority of other business cases put forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight. With the info we had at the time we took the correct course.

What in the name of jeasus has hindsight to do with the fact we cant go past 20km from our homes this Summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What in the name of jeasus has hindsight to do with the fact we cant go past 20km from our homes this Summer?

Ah Fintan, back from dinner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

RGS wrote: »
    How can the jockeys social distance during a race. All races have horses close to each other and bumping into each other. Theres no social distance in existence.

Maybe they will be wearing mask all the time not while riding and have a very strick hand sanitizer regime. There is a lot of places where people will have to work close and can not be avoided should all of these be stopped until whenever. Tennis and athletics are 2 I can think of with sports, taxis and meat plants are others

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Ah Fintan, back from dinner?

Haha your a good laugh in fairness!

Lovely bit of chicken, just opened the 1st of a large pack of guinness, and I've settled in behind the keyboard for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Haha your a good laugh in fairness!

Lovely bit of chicken, just opened the 1st of a large pack of guinness, and I've settled in behind the keyboard for the night

Good man. You can relax, Haha! I'm off to watch what's left of de Eurovision and talk to my poor neglected family , lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I agree.....but.. bike shops open next week. Or is that just repairs?

Technically just repairs. All I am saying is that it is incoherent and not risk based.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Maybe they will be wearing mask all the time not while riding and have a very strick hand sanitizer regime. There is a lot of places where people will have to work close and can not be avoided should all of these be stopped until whenever. Tennis and athletics are 2 I can think of with sports, taxis and meat plants are others

Tennis is allowed only in single format so no close contact.
    Allowing horse riding whilst the population can only 20km and people cant visit family then haven't seen for close to 3 months does not sit easy with most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Would it not make more sense to do away with the distance regulations from now?

Yes the risk is introducing the virus to parts of the country not already infected, but is not now the time to to it while so many of the businesses are closed, and there is capacity in the hospitals?

Otherwise in July and August when the virus is still here, you can travel as far as you like and everything is open - surely that’s asking for increased pressure on health system.

It will be like opening a pressure valve in one yank instead of easing it open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Tennis is allowed only in single format so no close contact.
    Allowing horse riding whilst the population can only 20km and people cant visit family then haven't seen for close to 3 months does not sit easy with most people.

It is disgusting. Irish companies on the verge of going bust and can’t open but the rich feckers in the horse racing industry get to go ahead and make themselves even richer.
    It’s a cruel “sport” that shouldn’t need any money from the government yet they were allotted 70Million in last years budget. They must be very cosy with those in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If social distancing has to stick to 2m in all sports, then thats the end of sport as we know it. It can't happen in a lot of them, so they will carry on regardless.

Soccer players were tackling each other today in Germany, banging into each other etc.

Life has to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It is disgusting. Irish companies on the verge of going bust and can’t open but the rich feckers in the horse racing industry get to go ahead and make themselves even richer.
    It’s a cruel “sport” that shouldn’t need any money from the government yet they were allotted 70Million in last years budget. They must be very cosy with those in charge.

Finally some riding...

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

You think we should stay within a 5km limit and not see our parents/kids/ grandparents while Willie Mullins and the boys bring their horses to race to satisfy the gamblers itch?

'The Sport of Kings'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

That is what Texas is claiming, that video you linked doesn't give any statistics on increased testing. Deaths are also still rising but I accept that could be down to a lag effect. Either way while cases are still rising I don't think they should be reopening. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. There would be no one here arguging to reopen if we had cases going up.

They were doing roughly 20,000 tests last week. Managed to get just under 50k on Wednesday so pretty decent in number.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2020/05/13/coronavirus-updates-texas/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

You think we should stay within a 5km limit and not see our parents/kids/ grandparents while Willie Mullins and the boys bring their horses to race to satisfy the gamblers itch?

Are you actually comparing Rio De Janeiro to Ireland and expecting to use it as a valid argument?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Are you actually comparing Sweden to Ireland and expecting to use it as a valid argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I don’t believe lockdown was pointless, believe unwinding is too slow- 11 weeks before we can go and visit my parents who live more than 20k away is over the top and punishing to those who bought into the governments action and were socially responsible.

Having traveled in South America I don’t think it would ever be possible to social distance and having enough clean water and soap to sing happy birthday twice to yourself While washing your hands isn’t an option either.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Brazilian cities adopting lockdowns doesn't tell us anything about lockdowns, other than that Brazilian cities have adopted them.

What's your take?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

Well, per your link, what’s currently unfolding is that 0.007% of the population has died of the virus. Are you asking me to compare that to Ireland, where 0.03% of the population has suffered that fate?

There's a record amount of welfare being dished out around the country and the bookies can get their hands on fúck-all of it, this simply won't do. Between the connections in the horse racing industry and the lobbying power of the likes of the Irish Bookmakers Association, this decision is not a bit surprising.

I'm all for opening things back up under caution and life going on, but the racing/gambling machine are clearly getting preferential treatment here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

He had to take it down apparently over death threats from the AAA/PBP types, you know the ones who put She, Her in their bios.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

'The Sport of Kings'.

The sport of taxdodgers.

growleaves wrote: »
    Brazilian cities adopting lockdowns doesn't tell us anything about lockdowns, other than that Brazilian cities have adopted them.

What's your take?

My take is they have a nutter for president and should have locked down weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Nermal wrote: »
    Well, per your link, what’s currently unfolding is that 0.007% of the population has died of the virus. Are you asking me to compare that to Ireland, where 0.03% of the population has suffered that fate?

Bless him, he is trying. He is looking to get the "mass graves" going.

• Advertisement

The mass graves thing was bollox. NYC has been burying people there since th 1700s. Faux outrage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement