Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

MadYaker wrote: »
    My take is they have a nutter for president and should have locked down weeks ago.

Whats your take on Belarus? President is also a nutter. But no body bags or mass graves. They must be just tougher than Brazil people?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/may/09/thousands-attend-belarus-military-parade-despite-pandemic-video

They too shouldve locked down back in January right? to be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Whats your take on Belarus? President is also a nutter. But no body bags or mass graves. They must be just tougher than Brazil people?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/may/09/thousands-attend-belarus-military-parade-despite-pandemic-video

They are totally different countries. Thats the point im trying to make. You can't look at one other country and say "hey we should have done that they can still go to the pub". Each country has to do what is going to work for them and thats what we did. The comparisons between Sweden and ireland are nonsense

Why should they have locked down in January when they had no cases? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

RGS wrote: »
    Tennis is allowed only in single format so no close contact.
    Allowing horse riding whilst the population can only 20km and people cant visit family then haven't seen for close to 3 months does not sit easy with most people.

Nobody can go them. I am not a ban of horse racing but its 1 of a number things starting more then likely as its outdoor like athletics, golf and tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

He had to take it down apparently over death threats from the AAA/PBP types, you know the ones who put She, Her in their bios.

I wonder is that from a particular poster who has kept a "dossier" of whats he has witnessed from his landing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Or Belarus has just not had a widespread outbreak yet. You know that not every part of the world is at the same stage of an epidemic at all times right ? You know a few weeks ago, you could have said the exact same thing about Brazil which was not in lockdown while Europe and USA were. And oh look now

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Or Belarus has just not had a widespread outbreak yet. You know that not every part of the world is at the same stage of an epidemic at all times right ? You know a few weeks ago, you could have said the exact same thing about Brazil which was not in lockdown while Europe and USA were. And oh look now

You had to spell it out for them lol I couldn't be arsed anymore.

You think we should stay within a 5km limit and not see our parents/kids/ grandparents while Willie Mullins and the boys bring their horses to race to satisfy the gamblers itch?

I am not a fan with the 5KM limit staying but the piece I referred to there was ot in relation to horse racing. Why just mention horse racing how about golf or athletics. I am not a fan of horse racing and do not watch it. May bet on the national

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I am not a fan with the 5KM limit staying but the piece I referred to there was ot in relation to horse racing. Why just mention horse racing how about golf or athletics. I am not a fan of horse racing and do not watch it. May bet on the national

Because golf and tennis is something we can all technically participate in and is good for the mind and it's physical exercise. It's not as if we can all partake in a spot of horse racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Nobody can go them. I am not a ban of horse racing but its 1 of a number things starting more then likely as its outdoor like athletics, golf and tennis

We are not comparing like with like. No professional golf or top class amateur golf is taking place, no major athlete events are taking place.
    Golf and tennis are easily adaptable to social distancing. Horse racing isn't. As I say previously horse run close to each other and jockeys I am sure sweat, spit during a race. Its only natural in a physical demanding sport.

Also the little digs by Harris and Humphreys yesterday were uncalled for.

RGS wrote: »
    We are not comparing like with like. No professional golf or top class amateur golf is taking place, no major athlete events are taking place.
    Golf and tennis are easily adaptable to social distancing. Horse racing isn't. As I say previously horse run close to each other and jockeys I am sure sweat, spit during a race. Its only natural in a physical demanding sport.

Also the little digs by Harris and Humphreys yesterday were uncalled for.

Can sweat give the virus an no one should spit let them wear masks.

Do not know the dig they did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Are you actually comparing Rio De Janeiro to Ireland and expecting to use it as a valid argument?

But yet comparing Ireland to Sweden or Germany or Austria is utterly absurd because we're so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Sorry for the leap away but just picked this up here couple of pages back...

Are creches expected to operate with distancing when they re-open? As in keeping the children apart?

Is it just me who thinks that would be insane? Thats like torture. You might as well put them into cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

crossman47 wrote: »
    Theres a hell of a lot of people with damn all interest in garden centres.

This one looks interesting:

EX6MqMUXYAAKzW1.jpeg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sorry for the leap away but just picked this up here couple of pages back...

Are creches expected to operate with distancing when they re-open? As in keeping the children apart?

Is it just me who thinks that would be insane? Thats like torture. You might as well put them into cages.

Nobody seems to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Yeah, because Belarus is a transparent democracy and they wouldn't lie about something so serious. Completely throw out any morals you might have and latch onto anything that supports what you want to believe. Honestly it is ****ing disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yeah, because Belarus is a transparent democracy and they wouldn't lie about something so serious. Completely throw out any morals you might have and latch onto anything that supports what you want to believe. Honestly it is ****ing disgusting.

He only asked 'What's your take?'

If your take is 'They're a bunch of Communist liars' then that's fine.

Presumably we're treating data out of China, Iran and Vietnam with the same scepticism.

What's your take on the WHO - do you think their closeness to China compromises them?

Give it a few weeks and Belarus will be like Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/belarus/

Belarus- daily case and death graphs so perfectly flat and consistent you could eat dinner off them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

MadYaker wrote: »

Another money man in control of Brazil. Bolsonaro is a worse again version of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Another money man in control of Brazil. Bolsonaro is a worse again version of Trump.

But....but......SWEDEN!

• Advertisement

growleaves wrote: »
    He only asked 'What's your take?'

If your take is 'They're a bunch of Communist liars' then that's fine.

Presumably we're treating data out of China, Iran and Vietnam with the same scepticism.

What's your take on the WHO - do you think their closeness to China compromises them?

I don't have a take because I don't trust the data. They are reporting roughly the same amount of cases as Ireland but with a death rate of around 5% of what we are reporting. Either they have some super human gene that we don't pocess or it is all made up bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Heres the thing. You don't seem to understand this across various postings. Each country has different demographics, different population sizes, different cultures, different population spreads.

Because Brazil and Belarus presidents took similar action means a total sum of sweet **** all in the scheme of things.

And if you believe the information that comes out of the Belarusian dictatorship, well more fool you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Lol pretty bad showing tonight. Trump is bad, Brazil president is bad and Belarus arent transparent.

China is good, Leo is great and 5 month lockdowns are the way to go.

Goodnight

PS dont forget imperial college models predicting 96 000 dead in Sweden.

deisedevil wrote: »
    But....but......SWEDEN!

Yes because Brazil and Ireland are perfectly identical whereas Ireland and Sweden are polar opposites, you probably can't find any of them on a map so they've that in common.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Yes because Brazil and Ireland are perfectly identical whereas Ireland and Sweden are polar opposites, you probably can't find any of them on a map so they've that in common.

So maybe we should go with the plan that our own experts have deemed appropriate to our own country? Shock and awe.

So maybe we should go with the plan that our own experts have deemed appropriate to our own country? Shock and awe.

So what makes Ireland so exceptional to the likes of Germany or Belgium that the relaxation of restrictions is a 12 week ordeal? Shock and awe.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    So what makes Ireland so exceptional to the likes of Germany or Belgium that the relaxation of restrictions is a 12 week ordeal? Shock and awe.

Wait a minute you just said a post back that comparisons like this are not useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There should be a "Brazil avoiding lockdown" thread

Wait a minute you just said a post back that comparisons like this are not useful?

No I said ridiculing people bringing up Sweden and then in the same breath bringing up Brazil as comparison to Ireland is ridiculous. We've 1000 things more in common with Sweden than with Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm just catching up with today's report in the IT over dinner and found an interesting paragraph :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-15-new-deaths-reported-in-the-republic-new-cases-below-100-for-first-time-since-march-1.4255433

So... Before any restrictions were imposed, without doing anything, the transmission rate had already more than halved, and since then with nearly 2 months of restrictions it's gone down only another point?

Am I missing something? Because if not you'd have to wonder if the level of restrictions (and the damage they've caused to the economy) were justified at all?

Most of the cause for why the transmission rate was falling before restrictions were officially imposed was because people were already voluntarily restricting their movements before it was made official.

I went out to watch the Liverpool-Athletico Madrid second leg of the champions league on the 11th of March. There had been no official restrictions put in place at that stage, but, you could tell people were staying in - the pub I was in was about had about one third of the crowd in that night that you would usually expect for such a big game - streets were quieter, people weren't about like a regular night. The next day they made the announcements about the schools and colleges.

A lot of pubs and clubs around me made the decision to close before it became official. This was also the case with other businesses. Officially the further restrictions didn't come in until the 28th of March, but at that stage most retail stores were already closed and walking through the centre of Galway City, where I live, was like walking through a ghost town - even days before restrictions were legally in place. I walked home from work a few evenings and I literally didn't see one other person - and this was in the week, even the ten days, before the instructions to stay at home were issued.

People were staying in well before they were explicitly told to do so. So, obviously, the transmission rate was falling before the 28th of March. So when people say, hey - the transmission rate was falling even before the lockdown happened, it just reflects how people were already anticipating what was coming with their behaviour.

The short memories of many in here amazes me. When businesses, cafes, restaurants, pubs etc were taking it upon themselves to shut before they officially had too, there were little to no voices to be found around here wondering about the economic consequences of whether they were doing themselves and the country damage by shuttering too hastily. Most were screaming that the government wasn't moving quick enough and we needed a total comprehensive lockdown like Wuhan. Go back and have a look.

People were scared and were taking no chances. Now ye're all kitted out with hindsight and dubious stats that you all desperately want to be true, so much that you've all convinced yourselves that they are.

Many of ye were probably naive to begin with, thinking that things might only last the initial couple of weeks and we'd be all sound again after that. Some of the arguments I read in here stink of that same hope-casting level of logic and critical thinking. What you want to believe the most should be the thing you hold to greatest scrutiny.

To tell you the truth, I hope the pro economic brigade are right. I'd rather that this is as piss easy as many of you think and we can get back to normal life as soon as possible - living with restrictions is a shit life - but unlike a lot of ye I haven't forgotten that the lock down isn't the real enemy: the real one has killed 1500 people in the last two months. And it hasn't gone away and is still the exact same highly contagious and dangerous disease. The government are absolutely right to be cautious in how they approach the lifting of the measures that have been proven to be effective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement