Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It hasn’t been confirmed yet, but whether it’ll be a necessary measure for reopening or not is still under discussion.
    How you will enforce something like that in a room of 2yr old remains to be seen, they have no concept of personal space. It’s highly impractical and a very unfair burden to put on the childcare profession, not to mention how detrimental it is to the kids development.

I saw an article earlier on the measures schools & nurseries in the UK are taking to reopen earlier and it made for some sad reading.

It sounds absolutely grim, there is to be less than 10 kids to a classroom and they all have to sit 2m apart. They won’t be able to have any contact with each other or their teacher.
    No PE, no games and no sports. No playing with toys or other educational equipment.
    They’re putting stickers on the ground 2m apart to ensure the kids are socially distanced at break time, and different year groups won’t be allowed mix with each other during lunch either.
    The teachers won’t even be allowed to correct the homework. They’ll be encouraged to bring in their own PPE as it won’t be supplied by their department of education.
    It sounds like a nightmare.

Out of curiosity, i am assuming that since primary schools in Sweden never closed they operate as normal, anybody knows? My worry is there will be now another paranoia big time with measures as described above or I wouldn’t be surprised if they came with something even “better”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

ismat wrote: »
    It’s nothing to do with stigma. Masks protect other people not you. Unless you are wearing high grade medical masks. It’s ignorance as to what the mask does that is the problem

That still doesn’t address why you think it’s so nutty that someone might wear one alone in their car though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I can see where you're coming from but the banks won't accept that argument when it comes to mortgages on homes

They will if the government mandates it. We are in unprecedented times and as such that should include unprecedented measures to help people, business and the economy. I think that is the case currently and will be the case going forward. Economies all around Europe are in far worse positions than us. This is a global problem and, I can only hope that it will be tackled as such with a shared burden and responsibility that this wasn't caused by the people.

If we lived in a better place as a global world we would condem those who tried to put the economy above the people but unfortuenly we currently seem to fetishise those countries. Should get people thinking. Is this really the best we can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

They will if the government mandates it. We are in unprecedented times and as such that should include unprecedented measures to help people, business and the economy. I think that is the case currently and will be the case going forward. Economies all around Europe are in far worse positions than us. This is a global problem and, I can only hope that it will be tackled as such with a shared burden and responsibility that this wasn't caused by the people.

If we lived in a better place as a global world we would condem those who tried to put the economy above the people but unfortuenly we currently seem to fetishise those countries. Should get people thinking. Is this really the best we can do?

What you're saying is nice in theory but it'll never happen. Come October there'll be the mother and father of all budgets. There'll be income and vat tax hikes, cuts all across the public service board, there'll probably be a USC style deduction introduced too. There won't be some miracle quick fix for this. If people want a lockdown going into August and beyond then I've not problem with that. I just hope they realize that there'll be consequences for it, and they won't be exempt from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    What you're saying is nice in theory but it'll never happen. Come October there'll be the mother and father of all budgets. There'll be income and vat tax hikes, cuts all across the public service board, there'll probably be a USC style deduction introduced too. There won't be some miracle quick fix for this. If people want a lockdown going into August and beyond then I've not problem with that. I just hope they realize that there'll be consequences for it, and they won't be exempt from them.

Those aren't simple problems. Firstly we are borrowing on an already massive debt so adding to it is like Beszo collecting another couple of million for rounding go. In the great scheme of things it doesn't make much difference especially when we are borrowing at historically low interest rates. The other issue is that if you aren't supporting people with extra money then the rebound in the economy won't happen as people simply won't have money to spend when we come out of lockdown. That will be coupled with extreme low consmer confidence to spend but to also visit places out of rational fear that things still aren't safe. Loads of people have talked about all these countires opening up, fulll stream ahead but none of the data in Europe has come back yet to indicate people are buying into it and until they do it is all rather pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

It’s nothing to do with stigma. Masks protect other people not you. Unless you are wearing high grade medical masks. It’s ignorance as to what the mask does that is the problem

So what your saying is, if everyone wore a mask, everyone will be protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://charter97.org/en/news/2020/5/14/376416/

Speaking of Belarus a doctor in the capital claims deaths to be under reported by a factor of 10x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It hasn’t been confirmed yet, but whether it’ll be a necessary measure for reopening or not is still under discussion.
    How you will enforce something like that in a room of 2yr old remains to be seen, they have no concept of personal space. It’s highly impractical and a very unfair burden to put on the childcare profession, not to mention how detrimental it is to the kids development.

I saw an article earlier on the measures schools & nurseries in the UK are taking to reopen earlier and it made for some sad reading.

It sounds absolutely grim, there is to be less than 10 kids to a classroom and they all have to sit 2m apart. They won’t be able to have any contact with each other or their teacher.
    No PE, no games and no sports. No playing with toys or other educational equipment.
    They’re putting stickers on the ground 2m apart to ensure the kids are socially distanced at break time, and different year groups won’t be allowed mix with each other during lunch either.
    The teachers won’t even be allowed to correct the homework. They’ll be encouraged to bring in their own PPE as it won’t be supplied by their department of education.
    It sounds like a nightmare.

That sounds absolutely miserable. Poor kids.

Schools here aren't going back until the new school year, but they are finished at the end of this month anyway, back in August. No way would I send my child back under those conditions. She's better off at home than that

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

as an avid gig goer im getting cold sweats looking at old gig footage with massive crowds. We were all none the wiser back then but i think we would be none the wiser now even knowing a deadly virus is around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

ABBA need to get their act together. A new song would hit a billion virus hits. It might be the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Conte..

Who's running the country atm

Politicians all gone very quiet

Whats your take on Belarus? President is also a nutter. But no body bags or mass graves. They must be just tougher than Brazil people?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/may/09/thousands-attend-belarus-military-parade-despite-pandemic-video

They too shouldve locked down back in January right? to be safe?

Belarus are having close 1000 confirmed cases with a slow and steady increase, yet only a handful of deaths. Do you believe their numbers? They also expelled Russian journalists who questioned their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

This main headline in the Independent says Ireland’s approach is conservative, is taking too long and will lose 200,000+ jobs.
    How can the government stand over what they’re doing to the country?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/bank-bailout-risk-in-covid-threat-to-jobs-39211137.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I’ve seen lots of people driving on their own and wearing masks. Obviously they have no concept of what the mask actually does as it cannot be helpful in any way while in their own car unaccompanied

People have answered that repeatedly and there's info on the government site about it. To use a mask properly, you wash your hands put it on, then you don't touch it again until you're in a position to rewash your hands while taking it off. For most people this means the easiest thing is to put it on at home, get in the car to go to the shops, then leave it the **** alone till you get back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

This main headline in the Independent says Ireland’s approach is conservative, is taking too long and will lose 200,000+ jobs.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/bank-bailout-risk-in-covid-threat-to-jobs-39211137.html

That’s weird allright, has any of them at least got the balls to acknowledge this?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The small business bailout needs to happen very quickly

What they are offering now is nowhere near good enough

I don't think people could stomach bailing out banks again

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

They’re taking the route of zero responsibility.

Anything goes wrong, it’s on NPHET.

There is much that can be salvaged with strong leaders taking back control of the ship, but unlikely to happen.

There is optimism with new Dail Committee - expect to hear from the government ‘dail committee recommends...’ to replace ‘NPHET recommends...’ over the coming weeks. EU may be another source of direction for government too.

Those that should be making tough decisions will continue to sit this one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Dice Bar" on Facebook is quite amusing last few days!

Have gone full blown conspiracy the last day or so!

While plenty will blame the virus his own carry on has lost him a lot of custom.

All they have to say is that one life is more important than the economy and the people will eat it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

That is a positive to see this. At least people will now realise the damage that will be done if we continue to follow the path we are on - and not just a few cranks on forums.

One would hope that people with FF and FG will start rattling the cages - news this weekend or Italy moving quicker the bizarre scenario that families cannot meet here but can fly to Italy for a pizza and beer will also certainly focus minds.

I am also a little perplexed that the Taoiseach and Ministers were sniggering about curtains on Friday after seeing this report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

There is much that can be salvaged with strong leaders taking back control of the ship, but unlikely to happen.

Dr Leo is the strongest leader this country has had since Brian Boru, he is the backbone of Ireland, a monolith of exemplary leadership. He has proven himself, forged the cutting edge of his trusty sword of leadership over many a fire, and honed it’s razor edge while fighting the war on coronavirus. I have no doubt there will be statues of this giant among men within our lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

They’re taking the route of zero responsibility.

Anything goes wrong, it’s on NPHET.

There is optimism with new Dail Committee - expect to hear from the government ‘dail committee recommends...’ to replace ‘NPHET recommends...’ over the coming weeks. EU may be another source of direction for government too.

Those that should be making tough decisions will continue to sit this one out.

I am not optimistic about the Dail Committee - it is 4 weeks too late. Tony will spend the whole time ducking and diving, and the media will follow the health only line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

If that is the case then we hold tight and let the nations we trust the most give us data and experience that we can trust to enact our own plan which is what is playing out at the moment. No one really knows what they are at during this and they are all shooting in the dark. Some countries took a moonshot and got away with it and everyone applauds like they are some kinds of geniuses when the reality is they took a calculated gamble which paid off. If it had backfired they would be hailed as monsters.

We all access situations in our personal lives, take gambles when appropriate after weighing up risk versus reward. Very few of us would take gambles which involve endanering our own lives and that is the kind of high stakes game currently is being asked of governments.

As another poster pointed on this page, memory seems in short supply of where we and other countires where only a short time back.

I’m sorry but there seems to be this naivety that every other country moving quicker is just taking a chance or taking a gamble with people lives.

But we are more careful and we care more, we love our children more, I mean that stuff is up there with tooth fairy belief.

Of course many of these countries actually have less cases, less deaths despite bigger populations and land borders with multiple countries, take the Czech Republic for example. How does that play out with the they are just gambling with people lives rhetoric.

Of all the arguments the we just care more and are more careful argument is truly cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Paddygreen wrote: »
    How many grannies is one job worth guys?

How many jobs sustain her pension, entitlements and free healthcare??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Dr Leo is the strongest leader this country has had since Brian Boru, he is the backbone of Ireland, a monolith of exemplary leadership. He has proven himself, forged the cutting edge of his trusty sword of leadership over many a fire, and honed it’s razor edge while fighting the war on coronavirus. I have no doubt there will be statues of this giant among men within our lifetime.

🀣😂🀣😂🀣

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/healthy-doses-of-sun-and-fresh-air-are-key-to-beating-virus-experience-suggests-39209911.html

Can we please all acknowledge the attached
    Can we all acknowledge hiding away only increased the risk of the virus and increased mental health issues
    Our nation is being paralysed by fear because of the poor decisions of those who would wish rule over us like gods
    Our path forward lacks common sense and it’s confused logic will have us unnecessarily run up billions in debt and leave thousands on long term benefits

Our unbiased independent media also has deserted us. - they have backed this government while also using propaganda to push the message of how we should use this ‘crisis’ to Change - basically pushing for us to become a mixture of Stalinist Russia and Gretta thunbergs fantasies

Please can this thread now be closed - we won. It’s over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

This is definitely not the article one would want to wake up and read.

They need to open up the country, protect the elderly and nursing homes and stop paying those bloody empty private hospitals 115m per month.

They then need to issue vouchers to people to spend in their local businesses - Vienna's idea.

They need to do all of this by end of June or bailing out AIBs and BOIs is inevitable, as every businesses going bankrupt means bad loans. and BAD LOANS are the worst thing for any economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I know this is a "comedy" account but seriously, no place for this nonsense here. Keep it to AH.

The impending recession and employment crisis that will affect hundreds of thousands of people (and many who never really felt the benefits of the "recovery" of the last few years anyway) is far more important than your continued attention-seeking.

road_high wrote: »
    How many jobs sustain her pension, entitlements and free healthcare??

It’s the social contract that exits in most countries. Work and pay taxes or raise the next generation of tax payers all your life in the knowledge that you will reap very few of the benefits while doing so, but also in the knowledge that when you can no longer work, that next generation will now be supporting you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/healthy-doses-of-sun-and-fresh-air-are-key-to-beating-virus-experience-suggests-39209911.html

Can we please all acknowledge the attached
    Can we all acknowledge hiding away only increased the risk of the virus and increased mental health issues
    Our nation is being paralysed by fear because of the poor decisions of those who would wish rule over us like gods
    Our path forward lacks common sense and it’s confused logic will have us unnecessarily run up billions in debt and leave thousands on long term benefits

Our unbiased independent media also has deserted us. - they have backed this government while also using propaganda to push the message of how we should use this ‘crisis’ to Change - basically pushing for us to become a mixture of Stalinist Russia and Gretta thunbergs fantasies

Please can this thread now be closed - we won. It’s over

And yet advice from Simon Harris and the government is "stay at home", as of 15th of May anyways.

"There is growing evidence that vitamin D is protective against coronavirus and that people with chronically low levels may be at greater risk.

A study by Trinity College Dublin published this week also shows vitamin D appears to help reduce serious complications with coronavirus.

Prof Neal said fresh air quickly dispersed any virus droplets in the atmosphere."

Soon our govt will be sued by more than just cancer patients missing out on screening or treatment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement