Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

snotboogie wrote: »
    No, the exact opposite of what you stated has been happening. Urbanisation has been the defining trend of humanity over the last 30 years

Nope. Debenhams and house if Frazer are gone. Marks struggling. Shops will shop down their big stores, open small ones where u can try in close. But u then order them online. Shopping centres will become even more cafe/restaurant base and health centres.

I only head to the city to work, dont shop there.
    My kids are over 8, might of been in the city 10 times in their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Jim Root wrote: »
    Reading the Sunday papers, lots of sectors moaning/asking to be allowed reopen earlier

Not surprising, I really can't see widespread closure of businesses lasting much longer than another 7 days

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/hairdressers-beautician-and-barbers-could-open-as-early-as-next-month-amid-push-from-ministers-39211133.html

Looks like ministers finally pushing for business in their own portfolio to open. Then you've also a warning that we might end up bailing out the banks again if this goes on much longer.

Leo might be under a bit more pressure to speed this up and not to be waiting on Tony and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/hairdressers-beautician-and-barbers-could-open-as-early-as-next-month-amid-push-from-ministers-39211133.html

Looks like ministers finally pushing for business in their own portfolio to open. Then you've also a warning that we might end up bailing out the banks again if this goes on much longer.

Leo might be under a bit more pressure to speed this up and not to be waiting on Tony and co.

And will they moan if another lockdown happens as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Reading the Sunday papers, lots of sectors moaning/asking to be allowed reopen earlier
    Yeah and they will be heard if they make their case properly. There's a huge amount of caution built into it. Car sales, for example, were not originally planned to be part of Phase 1 but got added.

• Advertisement

No surprise though when even cabinet is being presented the consequences by the dept of finance and dept of business saying the below. And added to that a warning from the previous dept of finance secretary general that at the moment the slow lifting of lockdown is bringing us towards another bailout.

"The Government's unprecedented emergency income supports are described as "large and unsustainable", while the extended closures not only compounded the already large fiscal impact of the crisis, but also reduced the prospects of recovery and "may lead to permanent loss of output and employment in some sectors".

And most importantly this piece
    "Businesses do not have clarity as to where they fit on the roadmap, which prevents them from taking actions to resume trading and the report suggests that the phases may have to be accelerated."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

snotboogie wrote: »
    It's the new normal! Social distancing is just like washing your hands!
    growleaves wrote: »
    It's abnormal and always will be. It's damaging to children. It makes human life impossible. It isn't backed by solid science like hand hygiene.

Not seeing your family again is not a new normal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Can it get anymore desperate than businesses begging to re open earlier at 30, 40% capacity to earn something?

Your question in other words could be "will they moan if they go bankrupt?"

Also, another lockdown will not happen. Govt have no monies to hand out, it is quite obvious.

That wont happen after what the dept of business and dept of finance presented to cabinet.

It's quite clear reading the independent, open up quicker or you might add the banks into the list of businesses to be bailed out.

So another lockdown is highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

One thing that is for certain from all of this , that another lockdown cannot and should not happen again.

We stemmed the initial tide to buy ourselves time. Allowed the health system to build up resources.
    Learned some more about the virus. But that's it now.

When we go back emerge from lockdown there is no going back. There could be many waves of this, should we lock ourselves away each time.

People need to get real. We didnt lock down so that we'd get rid of the virus out of Ireland like we're banishing snakes. This virus is with us forever now . We need to learn to live with it . Locking down the world isnt the solution.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    I would have thought social distancing has plenty of solid science behind it....
    If you cut down on the number of people who you spend time in close contact with there is less chance of you getting it...same with flu a cold etc.

We are not going to social distance until there is a vaccine. We collectively will get back to our usual interactions....we are a social species and we be hugging each other again soon enough. And young people will need to start hooping up again

We will only socially distance to the extent that we are prevented to physically....like no crowds at the football, and no pubs. But our personal lives, in our households and with our friends and families will be back to normal by the end of the summer.

It is hygiene and testing and tracing that will see us through this. Not interminable social distancing

wakka12 wrote: »
    Not surprising, I really can't see widespread closure of businesses lasting much longer than another 7 days

It will last until phase 2. After that it will be expanded. Horse racing has already got in, more will follow

That wont happen after what the dept of business and dept of finance presented to cabinet.

It's quite clear reading the independent, open up quicker or you might add the banks into the list of businesses to be bailed out.

So another lockdown is highly unlikely

Thats a very good point. So far we thought of job losses as "oh those businesses had high rent they wouldnt survive anyways".

When in reality most businesses have a loan from a bank (multiple loans more common actually, cheap finance if you will) so the knock on effect on the banks is dramatic.

Dont want IMF coming into the country again...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

We are not going to social distance until their is a vaccine. We collectively will get back to our usual interactions....we are a social species and we be hugging each other again soon enough. And young people will need to start hooping up again

We will only socially distance to the extent that we are prevented to physically....like no crowds at the football, and no pubs. But our personal lives, in our households and with our friends and families will be back to normal by the end of the summer.

It is hygiene and testing and tracing that will see us through this. Not interminable social distancing

100% agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I disagree. Medical companies are booming but the profits won't be taxed (enough) here. If Trump gets his way many of these companies will move back to the States in the medium term. What that would do to somewhere like Cork is massive.

IT is a variable across every sector. In our place we've already seen pay cuts for all staff and people forced to take annual leave now rather than later in the summer.
    Former colleagues in a big IT multinational have taken voluntary redundancy. Another in a different sector entirely has been laid off not so voluntarily this week (and these are people in mid-senior roles with decades of experience)

There's also a lot of sectors and businesses that have been badly hit and many won't recover in the short or medium term or at all.

As for the rest of your post, it's idealistic but not likely unfortunately. There will be no grand awakening of society to the ills of the rat race. Of course everyone would like to get out more and spend more time with family and friends, but that's not the society or economic model we have or will adopt in the aftermath. There's too much money and influence behind getting us back to "normal" as quickly as possible.

Fantastic post. I work in IT and whilst its more stable than most industries, I believe that it will change enormously in the next 12 months. I'm working in it 20 years and an awful lot of study is requires, in updating skills to stay in the game at professsional services level. Especially with Azure\Office 365 the amount of information is just unbelievable Tiers of IT are emerging, a lot of people want to get out of it and go into management, thats been my own experience and what I have seen over last 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

We are not going to social distance until there is a vaccine. We collectively will get back to our usual interactions....we are a social species and we be hugging each other again soon enough. And young people will need to start hooping up again

I don't disagree with you.
    My point was there is clearly science that social distancing helps....that poster said it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

My point was there is clearly science that social distancing helps....that poster said it doesn't.

There are a few obscure studies, compared to 130 years of studies behind hand hygiene.

Significant considering that billions of people have had their relationships altered for the worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Science is not always truthful and sometimes science fact is not accepted
    Examples of untruthful science is the global warming debate and examples of science fact not being accepted are eugenics and the current how many gender debates.
    People pick and choose science facts to suit their own personal narrative and scientists have mortgages to pay and families to feed and will label a duck a fox if it’s gets them funding

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

growleaves wrote: »
    There are a few obscure studies, compared to 130 years of studies behind hand hygiene.

Significant considering that billions of people have had their relationships altered for the worse.
    There are more than a few obscure studies have a quick Google plenty from reliable sources.

It however isn't sustainable in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It’s the social contract that exits in most countries. Work and pay taxes or raise the next generation of tax payers all your life in the knowledge that you will reap very few of the benefits while doing so, but also in the knowledge that when you can no longer work, that next generation will now be supporting you.

My point being without jobs and economic activity it’s impossible to maintain pensions and health services at their current levels. A lesson the #stayathome fanatics may be about to learn, the Hard way.

Interestingly, the hospital I work in had a huge spike in covid-19 cases on Friday+Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Interestingly, the hospital I work in had a huge spike in covid-19 cases on Friday+Saturday.

Community transmissions? Or from specific sectors/clusters?

This is a really good, sensible point.

Community transmissions? Or from specific sectors/clusters?
    I would be unaware of the contact tracing. It's not part of my job really. But we are talking 300% ISH increase on admissions. We had been doing really well the last two weeks as well so it's a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Can you elaborate on this ?

Why is that interesting? Were you expecting to be heading for 0 new cases?

PS send some of those cases to Cork hospital, that place is a ghost town not a single covid patient.

Lockdown is coming to an end in Ireland whether the government wants it to or not. I went to visit friends and family yesterday and the roads were busy again, great to see.

I went to Lidl at 9am this morning to get some compost. There was queues waiting to get in. There are queues everyday now at SuperValu, Aldi, Dunnes, Marks and whatever else is open.

Businesses are now screaming to reopen and it’s going to be tough for the government to justify why they shouldn’t when horse racing can go ahead on 8th June.

I don’t understand why there is such a huge deal of fear in some people in this country? Maybe it’s because the way we are reporting on it? People don’t seem to realise that the majority of deaths occurred in nursing homes.

There’s another thread on Italy reopening and some people here are wetting themselves in fear. Italy’s economy will collapse if they don’t reopen.
    We’re not far behind.

We need to learn how to live with this virus without tanking the economy.

Why is that interesting? Were you expecting to be heading for 0 new cases?

PS send some of those cases to Cork hospital, that place is a ghost town not a single covid patient.

Two plus weeks of consistent decline but then two days of huge increases.

Also, CUH still has COVID patients. And there is more than one hospital in Cork, chum.

• Advertisement

When will you be able to have an in person consultation with a doctor again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement