Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

It's interesting that the theme of many posts recently are mainly around the economy, job losses, filing businesses etc. You couldn't mention anything about the economy a few weeks ago without getting blasted out if it for being a selfish pig, when it is clear that was always the elephant in the room.

We have become desensitized to Covid and all the news stories around it, it's almost become trivial in some media outlets as its beginning to no longer be the dominant headline. It's always been like this, with televised wars, famines, even the Apollo missions had massive fall off off after the first couple of missions.

Many of us have become numb to the effects of isolating ourselves, some of us never bothered, just carried on as normal, WFH has become so normal to me that I will find it hard to adjust to going back onsite with all it's distractions, I have not been so productive in years as I am now at home.

There have been plenty of epidemics and pandemics in recent enough history, but how have our lives changed as a result? Not much I would save, save for those whose lives have been extended obviously. Look at the Spanish Flu, killed tens of millions, yet what happened after that? The Roaring 20s! Society moves on and commits trauma and tragedy to memory, much sooner that we think.

If we think there's going to some political or societal change after Covid, history does not suggest that there will be. The only thing people want is to move on and get back to what was normal to them asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Two plus weeks of consistent decline but then two days of huge increases.

Also, CUH still has COVID patients. And there is more than one hospital in Cork, chum.

Ahhh. Its great to chat to you :)

Yes, ofcourse, you arent giving us any numbers. 300% increase on admissions.

3 cases one day, 9 cases next day.

Dazzling :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gael23 wrote: »
    When will you be able to have an in person consultation with a doctor again?

My Oh had one last week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Stheno wrote: »
    My Oh had one last week

I know they will still see you if needs be but I’m wondering when you can in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

This is the official position from Department of Health as reported on RTÉ ——

Meanwhile, the number of people in hospital with confirmed or suspected Covid-19 has continued to fall.

Last night, there were 634 people in the country's 29 acute hospitals of which 394 were confirmed cases, with 240 suspected cases of the virus.

This is down by 54 since Friday night, and down by more than 100 since last Sunday morning.

There were 54 patients with confirmed cases of Covid-19 in intensive care, and 15 patients with suspected cases. A week ago there were 72 confirmed cases in ICU and 22 suspected cases.

There were 1,246 general hospital beds available yesterday, and 151 vacant intensive care beds.

The hospital with the highest number of confirmed cases was the Mater Hospital in Dublin with 62, followed by Tallaght University Hospital with 55, and St James' Hospital with 52.

Outside of Dublin, Limerick had the highest number of cases, with 29 confirmed.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, the number of people in hospital with confirmed or suspected Covid-19 has continued to fall.

Last night, there were 634 people in the country's 29 acute hospitals of which 394 were confirmed cases, with 240 suspected cases of the virus.

This is down by 54 since Friday night, and down by more than 100 since last Sunday morning.

There were 54 patients with confirmed cases of Covid-19 in intensive care, and 15 patients with suspected cases. A week ago there were 72 confirmed cases in ICU and 22 suspected cases.

There were 1,246 general hospital beds available yesterday, and 151 vacant intensive care beds.

The hospital with the highest number of confirmed cases was the Mater Hospital in Dublin with 62, followed by Tallaght University Hospital with 55, and St James' Hospital with 52.

These are such small figures given that bank bailout is looming.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The local spikes being reported on this thread could be the meat packing plant clusters

Over 600 people tested positive in the last couple of weeks in these so youd expect 90 of those to be hospitalised

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Interestingly, the hospital I work in had a huge spike in covid-19 cases on Friday+Saturday.

Is that from a new cluster? And were they all confirmed covid do you know?

Can anyone please tell me how many community transactions and clusters have arisen from the continued opening of supermarkets over the last 10 weeks? Presumably there were big clusters arising with supermarket staff given the concern in respect to home ware stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Really positive numbers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8327047/More-competitors-reveal-ill-World-Military-Games.html

Now we are getting real information
    China is being lined up to pay for all this damage
    They know it and will accept it but the row will be over how many zeros

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The local spikes being reported on this thread could be the meat packing plant clusters

Over 600 people tested positive in the last couple of weeks in these so youd expect 90 of those to be hospitalised

Why 90 out of 600?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

If vitamin d is so good, why are UAE, Qatar etc flying high in the numbers?

Fresh air theory? We have spent more time in fresh air over the last two months compare to normal, parks are full, people are exercising and relaxing . Numbers still went up.

Just two questions

Migrant workers living in inhumane conditions and cramped accommodation is the reason in the Gulf states. Same story in Singapore, over 90% of the 28k cases are migrant workers living in dormitories. Also explains the low proportion of deaths as migrant workers are usually younger and have no underlying health issues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8327047/More-competitors-reveal-ill-World-Military-Games.html

Now we are getting real information
    China is being lined up to pay for all this damage
    They know it and will accept it but the row will be over how many zeros

Wow. All those athletes returned home in Oct/Nov too and were spreading it. Most probably asymptomatic.

New Zealand never participated...

"We in Christchurch will be following the CISM World Games with interest. We wish Wuhan a successful hosting of the event and wish all competitors an enjoyable time in our wonderful sister city," she said."

Spookiest part is that just like back in 1918, soldiers were likely to be first spreaders

At the ongoing 2019 Military World Games, a record 9,308 soldiers from 109 nations are competing in 27 sports for 329 gold medals, under the motto of this year's Games "Share friendship, build up peace."

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-10/20/c_138487553.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i use this webcam as my gauge...what'd reckon more people about?

The local meat packing clusters would not be representative of the overall population so you would not expect 90 hospitalisations

Wow. All those athletes returned home in Oct/Nov too and were spreading it. Most probably asymptomatic.

New Zealand never participated...

"We in Christchurch will be following the CISM World Games with interest. We wish Wuhan a successful hosting of the event and wish all competitors an enjoyable time in our wonderful sister city," she said."

Spookiest part is that just like back in 1918, soldiers were likely to be first spreaders

At the ongoing 2019 Military World Games, a record 9,308 soldiers from 109 nations are competing in 27 sports for 329 gold medals, under the motto of this year's Games "Share friendship, build up peace."

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-10/20/c_138487553.htm

Zero evidence that any of these individuals at anything other than a cold

Zero evidence that any of these individuals at anything other than a cold

Must ve been a highly infectious flu then.

"Jacqueline Bock, part of the German volleyball team, told The Mail on Sunday how she and her colleagues contracted Covid-19 at the event in the city.

‘After a few days, some athletes from my team got ill,’ she said. I got sick in the last two days.’

Miss Bock’s father also became ill a few weeks after her return.

‘I have never felt so sick,’ she said.

===

It comes after French pentathlete Elodie Clouvel, 31, claimed she and her 27-year-old partner Valentin Belaud contracted the virus at the Games. Italian fencer Matteo Tagliariol also said everyone in his Wuhan apartment fell ill with ‘symptoms that looked like those of Covid-19’, which later spread to the 37-year-old’s son and girlfriend."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

fryup wrote: »

Disgraceful, all those people out and about flouting social distancing. People are getting compacent, Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Fantastic post. I work in IT and whilst its more stable than most industries, I believe that it will change enormously in the next 12 months. I'm working in it 20 years and an awful lot of study is requires, in updating skills to stay in the game at professsional services level. Especially with Azure\Office 365 the amount of information is just unbelievable Tiers of IT are emerging, a lot of people want to get out of it and go into management, thats been my own experience and what I have seen over last 2-3 years

It's what I did myself back about 15 years ago now.

Started off on the phones doing support and worked up into deskside and server administration but as you say the upskilling and cost is significant and harder to find as other responsibilities like kids, family and rent/mortgages come up. Plus then you find yourself competing with graduates with fresh degrees and the ability to work for 50% less

Look into IT Service Delivery as a stepping stone as you'll still be able to leverage your technical background and this helps with the team management aspects as you have been there, and understand things from their perspective too. Then move more into the management and strategic side of things and have a good team lead working for you to help with the day to day.

Worked for me :)

• Advertisement

I have been fully in favour of lockdown but at this stage is there any added benefit to us all staying home any longer? People need to take care of themselves and their immediate family and work colleagues. Wash hands, cough and sneeze etiquette. It's the new "common sense". Time to get on with life.

One thing that absolutely has to change is public transport. We simply cant be expected to ram into buses, trains and luases. Do they have any plan for this? 2 months of lockdown youd expect them to have a plan in place but that would be too much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Recession will be short lived. Alot of medical companies are booming right now. IT is still going strong.

Things will change but that be for the better. Less pubs for example. Hopefully we continue with new pace of life, seeing families in the park, neighbour's building a community instead of all rushing around

I work in the IT industry and have lost my job along with many of my colleagues. You’d forget that a lot of the IT sector is centred around supporting retail & hospitality businesses and when they close, there is nothing.

Still in touch with colleagues in supply chain, both above and below us and many of them have been laid off too.

Interestingly, there was such a massive need for computer hardware just prior to the lockdown so that people could work from home, that it’s now causing massive supply chain issues and the prices have increased by 40-50% for a basic laptop.
    There will be no money to be made in that section of business for a few months regardless because so many businesses purchased laptops etc for their staff in a blind panic that they now aren’t even using because their business is completely closed.
    IT will be just as effected by this as other industries, you can count on it.

Stark wrote: »
    Disgraceful, all those people out and about flouting social distancing. People are getting compacent, Joe.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ireland/leinster/dublin/dublin-o-connell-street.html

It is like Christmas Day on O’Connell street in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Stark wrote: »

well it is a wet day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fryup wrote: »
    I think it's all about the moment you are out there or look out. There may be more than the eerie early days but not in the enormous numbers some are claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

And will they moan if another lockdown happens as a result?

Expect a lot more moaning instead about the consequences of this ridiculous extended lockdown over the next few years.

A likely refreeze on recruitment in HSE, and intake at Templemore, to name two among others in the firing line.

You might be in a ‘safe’ industry and enjoying the slower pace of life now - but when there’s no funding for your children’s local sports teams and amenities, no money to fix your local roads, higher college fees, huge difficulty in getting mortgages and loans, increased public travel costs, higher VAT on goods you buy, paying more USC, higher property tax, more social unrest due to increased rich/poor divide, and you call the Gardai in need of them but they can’t help you because they are even more under-resourced than before, you may begin to understand the long-term damage that extended lockdown will cause to society as a whole.

Make no mistake, we will all be paying for a long time if roadmap is not rethought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

These are such small figures given that bank bailout is looming.

If you're referring to a newspaper article about an impending bail out of Irish banks you need to do your homework better it is a very misinformed article it is based on a collective published article from the ICB , the ECB and independent banking institutes .
    Countercyclical capital buffer has been temporarily suspended to continue financing existing household and corporates experiencing temporary difficulty.
    The problem at the moment is the long term refinancing operations, Irish banks can borrow up to 20 billion from ECB or the TLTRO program at a low interest rates which had not been determined yet to start financing new finance for households loans.
    The only problem for Irish and European banks is the speed at which they can access this.
    So the reality is Irish banks are not in a need for a bail out from the Irish government or the IMF for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I have been fully in favour of lockdown but at this stage is there any added benefit to us all staying home any longer? People need to take care of themselves and their immediate family and work colleagues. Wash hands, cough and sneeze etiquette. It's the new "common sense". Time to get on with life.

One thing that absolutely has to change is public transport. We simply cant be expected to ram into buses, trains and luases. Do they have any plan for this? 2 months of lockdown youd expect them to have a plan in place but that would be too much to ask.

How are they supposed to change public transport?? Irish rail, Dublin bus, luas all have full fleets out during peak hours so I'm not sure what exactly they can do. Full service will resume when more people go back to work but even at full service you can't and probably won't maintain social distancing on public transport.

If people need to use public transport to move around I'd be pretty sure they'll be full again at some point

ZX7R wrote: »
    If you're referring to a newspaper article about an impending bail out of Irish banks you need to do your homework better it is a very misinformed article it is based on a collective published article from the ICB , the ECB and independent banking institutes .
    Countercyclical capital buffer has been temporarily suspended to continue financing existing household and corporates experiencing temporary difficulty.
    The problem at the moment is the long term refinancing operations, Irish banks can borrow up to 20 billion from ECB or the TLTRO program at a low interest rates which had not been determined yet to start financing new finance for households loans.
    The only problem for Irish and European banks is the speed at which they can access this.
    So the reality is Irish banks are not in a need for a bail out from the Irish government or the IMF for that matter.

New finance for household loans? All well and good but people will not be borrowing if they have lost their jobs.

Irish banks have not been keen on low interest borrowing compared to their EU compatriots.

We do need a stimulus but there are already a series of businesses who are either gone now or trading insolvent.

• Advertisement

How are they supposed to change public transport?? Irish rail, Dublin bus, luas all have full fleets out during peak hours so I'm not sure what exactly they can do. Full service will resume when more people go back to work but even at full service you can't and probably won't maintain social distancing on public transport.

If people need to use public transport to move around I'd be pretty sure they'll be full again at some point
    There is full and there is rammed way beyond capacity. I mean literally rammed, people passing out etc. I'm specifically targeting the luas. A bus can refuse to take people on, the luas needs people at each stop during peak policing the numbers who can board a tram. Fcuk the virus, they need this anyway. Its basic health and safety standards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement