Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

New finance for household loans? All well and good but people will not be borrowing if they have lost their jobs.

Irish banks have not been keen on low interest borrowing compared to their EU compatriots.

We do need a stimulus but there are already a series of businesses who are either gone now or trading insolvent.

I hope for their sake they aren’t still trading so. Pretty stiff penalties for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

ZX7R wrote: »
    If you're referring to a newspaper article about an impending bail out of Irish banks you need to do your homework better it is a very misinformed article it is based on a collective published article from the ICB , the ECB and independent banking institutes .
    Countercyclical capital buffer has been temporarily suspended to continue financing existing household and corporates experiencing temporary difficulty.
    The problem at the moment is the long term refinancing operations, Irish banks can borrow up to 20 billion from ECB or the TLTRO program at a low interest rates which had not been determined yet to start financing new finance for households loans.
    The only problem for Irish and European banks is the speed at which they can access this.
    So the reality is Irish banks are not in a need for a bail out from the Irish government or the IMF for that matter.

I never said it will happen today or tomorrow, but by mid July if we go at the pace we are going now - you ll have plenty of people defaulting on their mortgages AND plenty of businesses defaulting on their loans especially the minute mortgage freeze / 350 euro runs out.

This is precisely when Irish banks will stretch their 20bn borrowings from ECB and then ask for help. Help from Irish government btw, from you and me.

PS interest rates are at all time low, banks are not in for a good time regardless but these defaulting loans and mortgages will accelerate the process.

Precisely why the "roadmap" needs to be revisited asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Benimar wrote: »
    I hope for their sake they aren’t still trading so. Pretty stiff penalties for that.

Yes - technically trading insolvent - but the State payment keeping them alive. A subsidy which can only be temporary.

I never said it will happen today or tomorrow, but by mid July if we go at the pace we are going now - you ll have plenty of people defaulting on their mortgages AND plenty of businesses defaulting on their loans especially the minute mortgage freeze / 350 euro runs out.

This is precisely when Irish banks will stretch their 20bn borrowings from ECB and then ask for help. Help from Irish government btw, from you and me.

PS interest rates are at all time low, banks are not in for a good time regardless but these defaulting loans and mortgages will accelerate the process.

Precisely why the "roadmap" needs to be revisited asap

Where are you getting 20 billion from, chum?

Where are you getting 20 billion from?

Original poster

Chum <3<3<3

How did you guys deal with the spike given that you have 70% free capacity? All good I hope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

fryup wrote: »
    well it is a wet day :P

Default Galway weather.

Okay, so WHO top chief scientist says below

Dr Soumya Swaminathan, chief scientist at the World Health Organisation, was asked on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show about the risks posed to children by the virus.

“It does seem from what we know now that children are less capable of spreading it even if they get the infection, and certainly are at very low risk of getting ill from the disease,” she said.

With more countries contemplating allowing schools to reopen, Swaminathan said the experience of those that had done so already was encouraging.

What we have seen in countries where schools have remained open is that there have not been big outbreaks in schools and, where there have, they have often been associated with events […] where a lot of people gather, not in regular classrooms,” she told Marr.

Lets hope this is read by minister for education and the scare mongering of primary school pupils wearing PPE / damaging social distancing goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I have been fully in favour of lockdown but at this stage is there any added benefit to us all staying home any longer? People need to take care of themselves and their immediate family and work colleagues. Wash hands, cough and sneeze etiquette. It's the new "common sense". Time to get on with life.

One thing that absolutely has to change is public transport. We simply cant be expected to ram into buses, trains and luases. Do they have any plan for this? 2 months of lockdown youd expect them to have a plan in place but that would be too much to ask.

Work colleagues, who and why would you need to take care of your work colleagues ?

I take care of family yes.. immediate family..

I can take care of myself without lockdown or social distancing being kicked.

I have been fully in favour of lockdown but at this stage is there any added benefit to us all staying home any longer? People need to take care of themselves and their immediate family and work colleagues. Wash hands, cough and sneeze etiquette. It's the new "common sense". Time to get on with life.

One thing that absolutely has to change is public transport. We simply cant be expected to ram into buses, trains and luases. Do they have any plan for this? 2 months of lockdown youd expect them to have a plan in place but that would be too much to ask.

One of the plans is that those businesses who can still allow remote working should - which is good.

They were encouraging people to cycle which I think is a great idea, but the problem is that bike shops are shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One of the plans is that those businesses who can still allow remote working should - which is good.

They were encouraging people to cycle which I think is a great idea, but the problem is that bike shops are shut.
    Think they are a part of Phase 1, i.e. tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

New finance for household loans? All well and good but people will not be borrowing if they have lost their jobs.

Irish banks have not been keen on low interest borrowing compared to their EU compatriots.

We do need a stimulus but there are already a series of businesses who are either gone now or trading insolvent.

Irish banks won't have a choice they will borrow at low interest rates.
    House hold finance is very important, it's a form of direct investment in a way those who are working will get the finance with is nearly instantly infested back into the economy which inturn can directly lead to the creation of new employment in existing areas or new area's.
    Business trading insolvency any stats to back that up

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

chum?
    No need to reply with this

Must ve been a highly infectious flu then.

"Jacqueline Bock, part of the German volleyball team, told The Mail on Sunday how she and her colleagues contracted Covid-19 at the event in the city.

‘After a few days, some athletes from my team got ill,’ she said. I got sick in the last two days.’

Miss Bock’s father also became ill a few weeks after her return.

‘I have never felt so sick,’ she said.

===

It comes after French pentathlete Elodie Clouvel, 31, claimed she and her 27-year-old partner Valentin Belaud contracted the virus at the Games. Italian fencer Matteo Tagliariol also said everyone in his Wuhan apartment fell ill with ‘symptoms that looked like those of Covid-19’, which later spread to the 37-year-old’s son and girlfriend."

Believe it or not flu is highly infectious. Especially when confined in shared accommodation. If the number of people proported to have brought it back from the military games, the impact on the health systems would have been seen in November/ December

is_that_so wrote: »
    Think they are a part of Phase 1, i.e. tomorrow!

That’s good news. It was repair only under the original plan.

The following list of retailers can open: hardware stores, builders merchants and those providing essential supplies and tools for gardening, farming and agriculture; garden centres and farmers markets; Opticians/Optometrists/Outlets providing hearing test services, selling hearing aids and appliances; retailers involved in the sale, supply and repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and bicycles and related facilities (e.g. tyre sales and repairs); office products and services; electrical, IT and phone sales, repair and maintenance services for home. This does not include homeware stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Interestingly, the hospital I work in had a huge spike in covid-19 cases on Friday+Saturday.

How many cases is a 300% rise? Cases have gone way down so you must have been unlucky and most of them ended up in your hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Interestingly, the hospital I work in had a huge spike in covid-19 cases on Friday+Saturday.

Give us a bit more info there!

Strumms wrote: »
    Work colleagues, who and why would you need to take care of your work colleagues ?

I take care of family yes.. immediate family..

I can take care of myself without lockdown or social distancing being kicked.
    As in have a bit of respect and wash your hands, cover your mouth etc. Personally I will be calling anyone out who does not take necessary precautions and puts me at risk as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

How many cases is a 300% rise?

If you had 1 on Thursday and 4 on Friday its a 300% increase.

Its like the smoke and mirrors information NPHET divulge each evening

Personally I will be calling anyone out who does not take necessary precautions and puts me at risk as a result.

Im curious as to how people will approach this in future.

I dont imagine it will be a successful approach to call out others on not wearing a mask.

Im curious as to how people will approach this in future.

I dont imagine it will be a successful approach to call out others on not wearing a mask.

Especially when they are 2 times your size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just been in Corkagh park , people enjoying being out and being careful .Families dotted around far from each other , people avoiding each other on the path .Most nodding a friendly Hello and asking children to move in .That is what I see around me all the time and have never had an issue with crowds or blatant breaking of the rules

As in have a bit of respect and wash your hands, cover your mouth etc. Personally I will be calling anyone out who does not take necessary precautions and puts me at risk as a result.

Maybe they already had it. Why would someone recovered need to wear a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yeah I thought we were trying to reduce the numbers going into A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just been in Corkagh park , people enjoying being out and being careful .Families dotted around far from each other , people avoiding each other on the path .Most nodding a friendly Hello and asking children to move in .That is what I see around me all the time and have never had an issue with crowds or blatant breaking of the rules

That would have been my experience of Corkagh Park before any virus. Plenty of room there so you would rarely see people close together.

Exactly.

Its not particularly wise to approach strangers and instruct them to wear a mask.
    Especially so if its not mandatory to wear mask's in public.

It’s not mandatory and everyone and their dog knows the advice. If someone is not wearing one it is because they have chosen not to. So I don’t know what calling them out is going to achieve except for you ending up in an argument. And if you’re worried that you’re at risk, surely the best action is to avoid them rather than standing in front of them having an argument

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8327047/More-competitors-reveal-ill-World-Military-Games.html

Now we are getting real information
    China is being lined up to pay for all this damage
    They know it and will accept it but the row will be over how many zeros

I don't see anything in that linked article from that rag that says anything about China paying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I don't wear a mask out, i may well do on public transport and similar when I need to use it again but out in open air now i don't and if you or any other stranger comes preaching to me in the street you'll be told to **** right off.
    If you're that panic stricken or a vulnerable person you should continue cocooning.

I don't wear a mask out, i may well do on public transport and similar when I need to use it again but out in open air now i don't and if you or any other stranger comes preaching to me in the street you'll be told to **** right off.
    If you're that panic stricken or a vulnerable person you should continue cocooning.

Beautifully put.

• Advertisement

Precisely what I imagine will happen.

Over the past week the industry I work in implemented mask wearing. Its essentially a noisy environment with pumps and motors etc.

What we found was, in order to communicate while wearing masks we had to stand close to each other and shout.
    So without masks we could adhere to social distance and communicate but couldn't do so wearing masks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement