Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Conte..

I won't be wearing a mask

I'll be washing my hands and keeping my distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

" Imperial College's modelling....will supercede the failed Venus space probe and could go down in history as the most devastating software mistake of all time, in terms of economic cost and lives lost."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/05/16/neil-fergusons-imperial-model-could-devastating-software-mistake/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Especially when they are 2 times your size.

A joke or are you advocating physical intimidation on those with differing points of view and arguments?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

jibber5000 wrote: »
    " Imperial College's modelling....will supercede the failed Venus space probe and could go down in history as the most devastating software mistake of all time, in terms of economic cost and lives lost."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/05/16/neil-fergusons-imperial-model-could-devastating-software-mistake/

That Ferguson lad has a history of wildly exaggerated perdictions.
    Why did nobody ask questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Was in Lidl earlier and there was no big 2 meter distanced line outside like there has frequently been. Walked inside and it was packed. Just like a typical day before Covid.

Couldn't even do the shop i went in for as there were people all over each other. Grabbed what was needed for the baby and to the till. The drinks aisle was packed and the queue at the till that goes up that one had zero space between people.

I asked the girl on the till why aren't they doing what they have been usually doing and she said head office told them they aren't doing it anymore. And they were told not to wear masks as they have screens. She said that customer should complain as their complaints won't have an effect.

Anyone else been in a Lidl today and noticed the social distancing measures not in place? Thought they had to be adhered to strictly. I'm no lockdown merchant and I think places can open up as long as guidelines as followed. But if one person had Covid in there today. They were probably spreading it all over the shop. I'll be switching from any shop that doesn't adhere to the protective measures.

• Advertisement

Was in Lidl earlier and there was no big 2 meter distanced line outside like there has frequently been. Walked inside and it was packed. Just like a typical day before Covid.

Couldn't even do the shop i went in for as there were people all over each other. Grabbed what was needed for the baby and to the till. The drinks aisle was packed and the queue at the till that goes up that one had zero space between people.

I asked the girl on the till why aren't they doing what they have been usually doing and she said head office told them they aren't doing it anymore. And they were told not to wear masks as they have screens. She said that customer should complain as their complaints won't have an effect.

Anyone else been in a Lidl today and noticed the social distancing measures not in place? Thought they had to be adhered to strictly. I'm no lockdown merchant and I think places can open up as long as guidelines as followed. But if one person had Covid in there today. They were probably spreading it all over the shop. I'll be switching from any shop that doesn't adhere to the protective measures.

Don't expect much from retail and you won't be disappointed

They are mostly about profit and covid window dressing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Wow. I hope my Aldi will follow, I've been in 30 minute queues 3 times a week for the last 8 weeks with tons of healthy people standing around.

Thats like 1.5 hours I couldve spent on Boards posting quality, relevant material

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Expect a lot more moaning instead about the consequences of this ridiculous extended lockdown over the next few years.

A likely refreeze on recruitment in HSE, and intake at Templemore, to name two among others in the firing line.

You might be in a ‘safe’ industry and enjoying the slower pace of life now - but when there’s no funding for your children’s local sports teams and amenities, no money to fix your local roads, higher college fees, huge difficulty in getting mortgages and loans, increased public travel costs, higher VAT on goods you buy, paying more USC, higher property tax, more social unrest due to increased rich/poor divide, and you call the Gardai in need of them but they can’t help you because they are even more under-resourced than before, you may begin to understand the long-term damage that extended lockdown will cause to society as a whole.

Make no mistake, we will all be paying for a long time if roadmap is not rethought.

What is the date that Ireland will be out of lockdown. It seems like we are moving very slow compared to others

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

UK deaths now stand at 42,000, just 8 weeks after those models were made. Is it really so ridiculous to think that figure would rise to 250,000 over the course of the pandemic?
    https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/actual-number-coronavirus-deaths-uk-18262955

People saying the predictions were wildly inaccurate think that those total death tolls meant that they would have all occurred by now. They were predicted over the course of a year or two. I would say 250k deaths in the UK is well within the realms of possibility over the course of the next 12-18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm sorry but this sounds like complete an utter bollox. Where was this lidl, anywhere in limerick or clare I have gone it has been strict and most enforced by the people themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What is the date that Ireland will be out of lockdown. It seems like we are moving very slow compared to others

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

bb1234567 wrote: »
    UK deaths now stand at 42,000, just 8 weeks after those models were made. Is it really so ridiculous to think that figure would rise to 250,000 over the course of the pandemic?
    https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/actual-number-coronavirus-deaths-uk-18262955

People saying the predictions were wildly inaccurate think that those total death tolls meant that they would have all occurred by now. They were predicted over the course of a year or two. I would say 250k deaths in the UK is well within the realms of possibility over the course of the next 12-18 months.

Nah I'd say the predictions at best were a load of scaremongering bolix.
    500k-600k die in Britain every year.

Essentially the figure is how many deaths can be recorded as Covid, not how many extra will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this sounds like complete an utter bollox. Where was this lidl, anywhere in limerick or clare I have gone it has been strict and most enforced by the people themselves.

They had "Normal People" on the projector screen in my local Lidl and there were over 1000 people in there having an orgy. I had to reach my arm in between rolls of sweaty flesh just to get a litre of milk. Oh and Lidl management told everyone they weren't allowed use condoms as they had Prep and birth control pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Believe it or not flu is highly infectious.

I often wonder about that. My father got the flu around xmas time. No one else in the household caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Essentially the figure is how many deaths can be recorded as Covid, not how many extra will die.

The excess deaths that either were caused by COVID or coincided with the pandemic beginning have led to massively increased seasonal mortality rates in the UK the last few weeks, therefore your theory is untrue. Without any valid reason as to why deaths would jump so greatly during this period, there is no other explaination other than COVID has caused these deaths. And no it is not lockdowns which caused the deaths, otherwise countries such as Norway and Denmark which had lockdowns but only a small number of COVID deaths would have observed increase excesss mortality rates lately, which they did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Stark wrote: »
    They had "Normal People" on the projector screen in my local Lidl and there were over 1000 people in there having an orgy. I had to reach my arm in between rolls of sweaty flesh just to get a litre of milk. Oh and Lidl management told everyone they weren't allowed use condoms as they had Prep and birth control pills.

There'll be one hell of a call made to Joe Duffy tomorrow so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Died with Covid or died because of Covid is a huge issue in reporting deaths of older people 80+

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

growleaves wrote: »

It is moving slow. I feel we will come out of lockdown sooner than expected. The timelines are likely overly cautious and likely worse case scenario. If public keep social distancing I feel we will be out of lockdown by the end of June. It’s not possible to keep people or businesses under such strict rules. We should be out of lockdown by the end of June with the exception of crowed pubs I think the phases will be moved forward and lockdown will end in June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I’ve a house in Leitrim that family are working, roof needs slates and we’ve no been up since start of measures.

Would going up being considered regional travel and not allowed, despite it being constructive work? Sorry if wrong thread lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Wow. I hope my Aldi will follow, I've been in 30 minute queues 3 times a week for the last 8 weeks with tons of healthy people standing around.

Thats like 1.5 hours I couldve spent on Boards posting quality, relevant material

Why do you need to go to Aldi 3times a week?
    And have you thought about changing the time you go?

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »

14 hours queuing and he's here advising us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Rodin wrote: »

Did you not read the rest of the post? He wants things packed again, doesn't give a crap about social distancing and thinks this is all one big joke. At least that troll post about Lidl has unmasked his postings. He has been one of the main people in this thread crying and winging about the lockdown when the reality is that the likes of him are one of the main reasons we are in lockdown and are having to be so cautious about reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Every time you go to Aldi you have to queue half an hour, really? I've never been in a queue that lasted more then 10 minutes in Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi or lidl in the past eight weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I stopped going to Lidl weeks ago .Its a complete farce , and as for the elderly times well thats a joke .Dunnes may be more expensive but its far more organised so they are getting my money now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ahwell wrote: »
    Every time you go to Aldi you have to queue half an hour, really? I've never been in a queue that lasted more then 10 minutes in Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi or lidl in the past eight weeks.

The IT had an article about 40 minute queues for butcher shops

growleaves wrote: »
    The IT had an article about 40 minute queues for butcher shops

OK, but I'm talking about supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Ahwell wrote: »
    OK, but I'm talking about supermarkets.

Tesco near me has had regular queues for 30 mins or more. Gets me out of the house and can listen to a podcast or two in peace.

Not like we've anything else to be doing to be fair.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I stopped going to Lidl weeks ago .Its a complete farce , and as for the elderly times well thats a joke .Dunnes may be more expensive but its far more organised so they are getting my money now

Same here ref Lidl
    Go to supervalu late in the evening now

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Tesco near me has had regular queues for 30 mins or more. Gets me out of the house and can listen to a podcast or two in peace.

Not like we've anything else to be doing to be fair.

It depends on when and where you go I suppose, but I've never been more then 10 minutes in a queue in the Tesco in Wilton, Cork. I go there once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I heard that if you put the same data into the model twice it spat out a different solution.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement