Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Conte.. wrote: »
    14 hours queuing and he's here advising us

First you announce Italy lifting all restrictions, then you come to boards.ie

"Mr Conte announced that travel to and from Italy, and between the country's regions would be allowed from 3 June.

Shops and restaurants are also due to reopen from 18 May providing social distancing is enforced.

Gyms, swimming pools and sports centres will reopen on 25 May, and cinemas and theatres on 15 June.

Travellers from EU countries will be able to enter Italy without going into a two-week quarantine."

You sure are productive :)

Could you have a word with our non elected government about doing something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

the last 2-3 weeks queues have been fairly long in my local Dunnes, between 15 and 25 minutes.
    I go twice a week for shopping, one to stock-up on bottled water and another for everything else - can't do all in one go as I'm not driving and the supermarket doesn't deliver at home.

When I go for water only, I choose to go in the evening - after 7. Usually that time it is extremely quiet, so in and out in less than 5 minutes.
    For the rest of the shopping I go during the day, as I have found that later in the evening certain things aren't available anymore - I reckon they stock up just before closing or early in the morning.

Another thing that I started doing since restrictions - I always go with a list so I don't waste time roaming around aisles trying to figure out what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

silverharp wrote: »
    I heard that if you put the same data into the model twice it spat out a different solution.

"Scientists" are forever inputting their data into their computers and coming up with theories that they announce as facts. The Volcanic Ash crisis was a classic example of that.

I don't think that Mankind has ever gone "backwards" before and no species has ever stopped mixing and mingling and sooner or later we are going to have to get back to "where we were".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this sounds like complete an utter bollox. Where was this lidl, anywhere in limerick or clare I have gone it has been strict and most enforced by the people themselves.

Far from bollox. Was in finglas. Pay it a visit yourself. Was only in it Wednesday and queue was right out and we'll spaced. Inside a bit of a different story but still some people making an effort. Today it was like any other day last year when busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Conte..

Are gaa pitches opening for use Monday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Conte.. wrote: »
    Are gaa pitches opening for use Monday

No. July 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Ahwell wrote: »
    OK, but I'm talking about supermarkets.

Dunnes ashbourne I was an HR and a half Friday before last was very annoying. I find can drag waiting there definitely the longest place in Ashbourne is dunnes. Other super markets are not like that over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

So people just don’t get it.

Someone I’m aware of; ships the kids off to granny’s house last night for a sleep over and proceeds then to have a gang of friends over for drinks in their house. This same person won’t let her kids leave the house during the first week of lockdown.

Hopefully they won’t loose somebody close to them from this deadly virus, but thanks to their behaviour this lockdown will go on and on and people will keep suffering.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did you not read the rest of the post? He wants things packed again, doesn't give a crap about social distancing and thinks this is all one big joke. At least that troll post about Lidl has unmasked his postings. He has been one of the main people in this thread crying and winging about the lockdown when the reality is that the likes of him are one of the main reasons we are in lockdown and are having to be so cautious about reopening.
    If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Tesco near me has had regular queues for 30 mins or more. Gets me out of the house and can listen to a podcast or two in peace.

Not like we've anything else to be doing to be fair.
    I typically wait 5 mins or less at Tesco in Balbriggan. Today I got there around 3pm. Last time it was around 5pm. I never go in the morning

If you pick your times you can usually avoid the queues

Having said that I've driven past the one in Swords a couple of times and the queues there seem quite long, but it is quite a small store for its catchment area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

growleaves wrote: »

If you don't mind me asking... where did you get this 2022 date from?

Last phase on the official roadmap is on the 10th of August, however social distancing will still be in place for the foreseeable future.

If you mean the end of all current restrictions, including social distancing and the return of large events / gatherings, then the answer seems to be not until the population gains immunity - through vaccination and herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I stopped going to Lidl weeks ago .Its a complete farce , and as for the elderly times well thats a joke .Dunnes may be more expensive but its far more organised so they are getting my money now

I had found the finglas Lidl grand. It's on my route home from work before going onto M50 and I always seen the big queues outside. So I started going there since it looked like they had things in place. Inside most people were keeping a distance but there are always some dopes. Queuing at the tills was well spaced and they had the plastic screens up.

Contrast that to today and it was night and day. People reaching over others at the fruit and the fridges. No distance when queuing. One of the girls on the till is a gaeilgeoir so I'd usually have a bit of comhrá with her. She said they were told to make the change. I don't use Facebook or any of that. Wonder if there's anyone mentioning similar on Lidls page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

bazermc wrote: »
    So people just don’t get it.

Someone I’m aware of; ships the kids off to granny’s house last night for a sleep over and proceeds then to have a gang of friends over for drinks in their house. This same person won’t let her kids leave the house during the first week of lockdown.

Hopefully they won’t loose somebody close to them from this deadly virus, but thanks to their behaviour this lockdown will go on and on and people will keep suffering.

It's natural enough that there will be complacency now when comparing the same people top week 1. Week 1 was peak panic. In contrast the dooms day numbers have not materialised, hospitals have not been overrun, etc. The curve has effectively been flattened.

Time to get the show on the road and that means people will be infected albeit it at a slower and more manageable pace, which is and always was inevitable and was the plan all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

People like this scare me more than the virus..

https://twitter.com/sarahmagic5555/status/1262056879393570829

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

SNNUS wrote: »

Judging by the tweet 18 people share that sentiment.

Hysteria is more contagious than Covid. It can be spread online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

It's a sarcastic post surely.

Is it scary for that reason or is anyone taking it seriously?

(even if it was serious it can't be scary as nobody else thinks like that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Judging by the tweet 18 people share that sentiment.

Hysteria is more contagious than Covid. It can be spread online

To be fair though going on Twitter and complaining about finding utter bollocks there is like jumping into a sewer and complaining about getting **** on your shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    To be fair though going on Twitter and complaining about finding utter bollocks there is like jumping into a sewer and complaining about getting **** on your shoes.

In fairness that's a good point.
    Or reading the journal.ie comment section and expecting balanced comments and discussion. God bless and RIP.

silverharp wrote: »
    I heard that if you put the same data into the model twice it spat out a different solution.

That’s what models do. Everything has a degree of uncertainty and that is built into the model. What good modellers tend to do is repeat the runs and take the average and confidence interval.

64 new cases ? a poster here notified us of a spike in cases in his hospital.

spike downwards maybe.

Perhaps that nobel scientist predicting covid disappearing in Ireland by mid June was it? Seems like he may have called it right. just like he did with cases / deaths from China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

64 cases is great progress

If we can see that level consistently it will put savage pressure on the government to ease restrictions earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

In fairness that's a good point.
    Or reading the journal.ie comment section and expecting balanced comments and discussion. God bless and RIP.

Jesus Christ the journal is a ****hole. I used to read the comments for fun at work but I don't anymore it's enough to make you wish the virus would kill us all.

KrustyUCC wrote: »

If we can see that level consistently it will put savage pressure on the government to ease restrictions earlier

Denmark had 158 new cases 1 day prior to opening schools on 14th of April and 215 new cases 1 day prior to opening barbers on 21st of April.

Perspective.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102237/coronavirus-cases-development-in-denmark/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Was in Lidl earlier and there was no big 2 meter distanced line outside like there has frequently been. Walked inside and it was packed. Just like a typical day before Covid.

Couldn't even do the shop i went in for as there were people all over each other. Grabbed what was needed for the baby and to the till. The drinks aisle was packed and the queue at the till that goes up that one had zero space between people.

I asked the girl on the till why aren't they doing what they have been usually doing and she said head office told them they aren't doing it anymore. And they were told not to wear masks as they have screens. She said that customer should complain as their complaints won't have an effect.

Anyone else been in a Lidl today and noticed the social distancing measures not in place? Thought they had to be adhered to strictly. I'm no lockdown merchant and I think places can open up as long as guidelines as followed. But if one person had Covid in there today. They were probably spreading it all over the shop. I'll be switching from any shop that doesn't adhere to the protective measures.

No masks on anyone anywhere but access controlled as usual and good distancing all round. I'd agree on masks for staff, just a little bit absurd with the giant perspex in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

64 new cases ? a poster here notified us of a spike in cases in his hospital.

spike downwards maybe.

Perhaps that nobel scientist predicting covid disappearing in Ireland by mid June was it? Seems like he may have called it right. just like he did with cases / deaths from China.
    That spike seemed to be 18 people. That guy got a lot of his numbers wrong but dining out so to speak on China. Our cases were predicted to top out at 30,000 and 2.5K dead.

Notoriously disliked Swedish professor is back with some bad news and good news

"As the country prepares to lift the first wave of restrictions tomorrow, Professor Johan Giesecke, a senior epidemiologist and adviser to the director-general of the World Health Organisation (WHO), predicts Ireland will end up with the same case and death rate, per head of population, in line with every other country.

"I can tell you, Ireland has a lot of cases coming," he said. However, he stressed that people should not be afraid and, "for most people, this is a very mild disease"."

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/ireland-has-a-lot-more-cases-coming-warns-who-expert-overseeing-swedish-response-39211183.html

Fintan dont be afraid.

64 new cases.... Time to end the lockdown and start to salvage the economy. We need to do it now, not quarter of a year from now.

Literally nobody I know well has contracted COVID 19 so far. This is great because 2 months ago, I thought a lot of people I know (myself included) would have had it by now. Long may it last.

The only person I know (knew) who had it, he tested positive postmortem after a terrible death from cancer. The week he died, his consultant told him and the family that he had days left and the cancer had metastasised beyond control or remission. Now his family are undergoing legal action to have 'COVID 19' removed as the official cause of his death, because well, he died from cancer.

This happened weeks ago, and ever since then (and the CMO's clarification on how they are recording COVID deaths and what constitutes one) I have been taking those daily death numbers with a pinch of salt. I like that we have recorded and reported our COVID 19 deaths more thoroughly than the UK, but I feel with the likes of the above we have gone overboard in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

KrustyUCC wrote: »

I say this is a given that they we going to do I be very surprised if there be very much in stage 4 & little in 5

• Advertisement

Literally nobody I know well has contracted COVID 19 so far. This is great because 2 months ago, I thought a lot of people I know (myself included) would have had it by now. Long may it last.

The only person I know (knew) who had it, he tested positive postmortem after a terrible death from cancer. The week he died, his consultant told him and the family that he had days left and the cancer had metastasised beyond control or remission. Now his family are undergoing legal action to have 'COVID 19' removed as the official cause of his death, because well, he died from cancer.

This happened weeks ago, and ever since then (and the CMO's clarification on how they are recording COVID deaths and what constitutes one) I have been taking those daily death numbers with a pinch of salt. I like that we have recorded and reported our COVID 19 deaths more thoroughly than the UK, but I feel with the likes of the above we have gone overboard in the opposite direction.

Oh boy. All of a sudden, the "died with covid" or "died off covid" discussions come to mind.

Apprntly in the US a hospital who proclaims covid death gets $13,000. question marks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement