Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

Just a note. Transplants are still taking place in the Republic. Was talking to a friend who was looking after a patient had heart/lung transplant last week. So that particular rumour is debunked.

Less transplants taking place as less people doing stupid ****.

SNNUS wrote: »
    People like this scare me more than the virus..

https://twitter.com/sarahmagic5555/status/1262056879393570829

Probably can't get those pesky facemasks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Just a note. Transplants are still taking place in the Republic. Was talking to a friend who was looking after a patient had heart/lung transplant last week. So that particular rumour is debunked.

Where are the spikes in cases? We were all worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    64 cases is great progress

If we can see that level consistently it will put savage pressure on the government to ease restrictions earlier

All that may happen is business been moved to open in earlier vases.
    I can't see much relaxing of any of the social restrictions to be honest

Where are the spikes in cases? We were all worried.

What do you do in the public service out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Was in Lidl earlier and there was no big 2 meter distanced line outside like there has frequently been. Walked inside and it was packed. Just like a typical day before Covid.

Couldn't even do the shop i went in for as there were people all over each other. Grabbed what was needed for the baby and to the till. The drinks aisle was packed and the queue at the till that goes up that one had zero space between people.

I asked the girl on the till why aren't they doing what they have been usually doing and she said head office told them they aren't doing it anymore. And they were told not to wear masks as they have screens. She said that customer should complain as their complaints won't have an effect.

Anyone else been in a Lidl today and noticed the social distancing measures not in place? Thought they had to be adhered to strictly. I'm no lockdown merchant and I think places can open up as long as guidelines as followed. But if one person had Covid in there today. They were probably spreading it all over the shop. I'll be switching from any shop that doesn't adhere to the protective measures.

Was working over the weekend in a similar environment. What you describe there seems accurate. Packed aisles at peak times, nearly indistinguishable from regular times tbh. I'd say about 5% - at most - were wearing facemasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Hold on a minute, a random person on an anonymous online forum was talking to a random friend about a random patient getting a transplant.

Well thats that rumor put to bed I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It's natural enough that there will be complacency now when comparing the same people top week 1. Week 1 was peak panic. In contrast the dooms day numbers have not materialised, hospitals have not been overrun, etc. The curve has effectively been flattened.

Time to get the show on the road and that means people will be infected albeit it at a slower and more manageable pace, which is and always was inevitable and was the plan all along.

Natural in some people but not acceptable, complacency and carelessness as well as selfishness are the things that can fûck this up... so let’s not run with the ‘natural’ attitude, no excuses, for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Are garda powers brought in by Harris being extended after tomorrow or do they end tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Breezin

Sandymount and its road rammed today. It looked like a rock festival. I've never seen so many people there.
    Is the lockdown itself creating chaotic concentrations of people?

• Advertisement

What do you do in the public service out of interest?

audit.

If I was to look at your predicted spikes in todays cases I'd say you work in mater hospital :pac:

exposed.

In all seriousness, are you surprised so few cases reported today? Could the people who you thought had covid had something else entirely?

Most importantly, do you see us lifting all lockdown restrictions by end of June?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Is the list of outdoor professions that can work from Tomorrow available anywhere?

The only thing I found on the government website was a false link purporting to lead to the list.

This is truly disappointing

"A Co Donegal bar has been forced to close its takeaway service after it was visited by gardaí at the weekend.

In recent weeks O’Flaherty’s Bar in Buncrana had been delivering pints of Guinness by car and even by bicycle on some occasions.

“We were swarmed by one undercover Garda, two patrol cars, one sergeant and one uniformed garda.”

“We can confirm that an operation was put in place as a result of public complaints. Alcohol was seized and a file on the matter will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions,” he said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/garda%C3%AD-stop-pub-s-pint-delivery-service-over-weekend-1.4255675

Poor businesses trying to survive, 10th of Aug cant come soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This is the latest Irish table of statistics available, the county by county numbers are accurate to midnight Friday 15 May.

Of the 74 new cases:
    - Monaghan +12
    - Dublin +9
    - Cork, Galway +6
    - Cavan, Mayo, Limerick +5
    - Longford, Kildare, Offaly +4
    - Kilkenny +3
    - 5 counties on +2
    - 4 counties on +1
    - 6 counties have ZERO new cases

Source: Lockdown Ireland Group

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

dubdaymo wrote: »

I don't think that Mankind has ever gone "backwards" before and no species has ever stopped mixing and mingling and sooner or later we are going to have to get back to "where we were".

Don't think that's true at all.
    Europe in particular had a lost millennium from around 400AD to 1400AD. We basically forget all the advances of Roman/Greek society and went backwards or at best stagnated for 1000 years.

Not saying that covid causes that to happen again, but forward progress has never been a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Any ideas of when the Govt. may relax the 14 day quarantine period when returning from abroad?

Interesting that Italy have got rid of the 14 day quarantine period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/gardatop-pub-s-pint-delivery-service-over-weekend-1.4255675?mode=amp
    However, O’Flaherty’s said gardai had been unable to tell them which law they were breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Europe in particular had a lost millennium from around 400AD to 1400AD. We basically forget all the advances of Roman/Greek society and went backwards or at best stagnated for 1000 years.

Not saying that covid causes that to happen again, but forward progress has never been a guarantee.

But even during the Dark Ages there were advances in technology, both military and agricultural.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Breezin wrote: »
    Sandymount and its road rammed today. It looked like a rock festival. I've never seen so many people there.
    Is the lockdown itself creating chaotic concentrations of people?

Presume you've never actually been to a festival

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sheepysheep

Good article here about coronavirus and different attitudes to mortality and its portrayal in the media.

https://unherd.com/2020/05/not-every-death-is-a-tragedy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    64 cases is great progress

If we can see that level consistently it will put savage pressure on the government to ease restrictions earlier

Glad to have served my 1 week sentence. I enjoyed it
    No we will get 150 cases Tuesday and we will be told it is because of Woodies opening.

Hold on a minute, a random person on an anonymous online forum was talking to a random friend about a random patient getting a transplant.

Well thats that rumor put to bed I suppose

Isn't that what you and your ilk spend your days doing?

Seasonal flu = COVID-19 brigade. Pretend like you can critically assess an academic paper.

A lot of historians believe the Black Death was a significant contributor to the renaissance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Source: Lockdown Ireland Group

Who is this now?

This is truly disappointing

"A Co Donegal bar has been forced to close its takeaway service after it was visited by gardaí at the weekend.

In recent weeks O’Flaherty’s Bar in Buncrana had been delivering pints of Guinness by car and even by bicycle on some occasions.

“We were swarmed by one undercover Garda, two patrol cars, one sergeant and one uniformed garda.”

“We can confirm that an operation was put in place as a result of public complaints. Alcohol was seized and a file on the matter will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions,” he said.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/garda%C3%AD-stop-pub-s-pint-delivery-service-over-weekend-1.4255675

Poor businesses trying to survive, 10th of Aug cant come soon enough
    Hmmm. Were they still claiming the 350 euro a week whilst serving beer? Seems a bit.... fraudulent.

Any ideas of when the Govt. may relax the 14 day quarantine period when returning from abroad?

Interesting that Italy have got rid of the 14 day quarantine period.

There are suspicions that the 14 day quarantine "law" is easily reversed should you end up in court. Similar rulings have had already happened.

PS there is EU law as well that grants you, as an EU citizen, good few powers then you move around EU, I think EU law could supersede but i am not solicitor

"BERLIN — A court in one German state has suspended rules requiring people arriving in the country after a stay abroad to self-quarantine for 14 days.

The decision announced Monday night by the upper administrative court in Lower Saxony applies only to that northern region. Judges acted on a complaint by a man who owns a holiday house in southern Sweden.

The court found there were no grounds for a blanket requirement for all people arriving from all countries to go into quarantine.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Isn't that what you and your ilk spend your days doing?

Seasonal flu = COVID-19 brigade. Pretend like you can critically assess an academic paper.

I genuinely can’t understand why you are showing so much hostility and & passive aggression towards people simply for disagreeing with you.

You don’t get to talk down people just because you claim to be a doctor, your opinion here counts just as much as anyone else’s & doesn’t give you the right to belittle anyone or to bully them into submission just because you believe yourself to be right.
    We’re allowed to disagree, we’re allowed to think differently to you, and being able to critically assess an academic paper is completely irrelevant on a forum aimed at the general population like this one. It doesn’t make you superior in any way.
    This isn’t an academic discussion for doctors only.

A lot of historians believe the Black Death was a significant contributor to the renaissance
    Judging by the rabidness and false news on this thread. I don't have much hope for anything similar to happen now.

Hmmm. Were they still claiming the 350 euro a week whilst serving beer? Seems a bit.... fraudulent.

I'd be more worried about undercover gardai exposing mobile pubs pouring pints. (since there is no law against it)

Is crime at all time low? 0 crime for gardai to focus on in Donegal? No robberies? Donegal must be the place to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Saw two large groups of teenagers out on my walk. One group was very large, at least 20, they were Spanish. I thought most foreign students would have returned home. Looked like they were making a point of not social distancing, many sitting on each other's laps etc.

The other group was just 4-5 people, though they were sitting extremely close together, like a few inches between each of them

Garda was in the park and didn't say anything to either group. And I dont really care at this point, I think we need to just get on with normal life, but there is absolutely going to be a very widespread second wave, if you think the country is is going to maintain even a moderate amount of social distancing throughout the summer youre away with the fairies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement