Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

The thing that frustrates me the most is the way we are reporting on Covid 19, both from Tony/HSE and the media in the country.

Its not at all easy to find any information on the deaths. Age breakdown in particular would be interesting to see. Tony had to be pushed to provide this about a week ago but I haven't seen it since. I think the majority of the general public probably didn't see that breakdown either. Another day they gave some details on the underlying issues patients suffered from, but again nothing since.

I had to look quite hard to find that over 90% of deaths were over 65. (with the majority actually over 80). If I just watched the news or read the papers, I'd probably assume that people of all ages were dying in equal numbers. It would also be nice to know how many people died only due to Covid vs those that died with Covid as one factor.

While its obviously not a pleasant situation for the elderly, surely the general public would have less to fear if the real stats were easier to find and reported on properly.

Way too many people are in fear of catching this, thinking they are at very high risk when they really aren't. One has to wonder whose interests is it in for people to remain in fear?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Sorry Jac,

but I can't agree with you there.

The presentation of the information is not 100% perfect but what you are looking for is all there on gov.ie. Core number breakdowns are even included in the daily briefings. Like median and average age of deaths for example.

The thing that frustrates me the most is the way we are reporting on Covid 19, both from Tony/HSE and the media in the country.

Its not at all easy to find any information on the deaths. Age breakdown in particular would be interesting to see. Tony had to be pushed to provide this about a week ago but I haven't seen it since. I think the majority of the general public probably didn't see that breakdown either. Another day they gave some details on the underlying issues patients suffered from, but again nothing since.

I had to look quite hard to find that over 90% of deaths were over 65. (with the majority actually over 80). If I just watched the news or read the papers, I'd probably assume that people of all ages were dying in equal numbers. It would also be nice to know how many people died only due to Covid vs those that died with Covid as one factor.

While its obviously not a pleasant situation for the elderly, surely the general public would have less to fear if the real stats were easier to find and reported on properly.

Way too many people are in fear of catching this, thinking they are at very high risk when they really aren't. One has to wonder whose interests is it in for people to remain in fear?

More hospitalisations in under 65s than over 65s though. It depends what stats you are looking at. Just looking at deaths is a simplistic analysis of the effect that COVID-19 can have medically.

Sorry Jac,

but I can't agree with you there.

The presentation of the information is not 100% perfect but what you are looking for is all there on gov.ie. Core number breakdowns are even included in the daily briefings. Like median and average age of deaths for example.

I stand corrected if its all there. I'll have a look around.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Up to 100,000 construction workers back to work today as of this morning according to RTE with more to follow in coming days/weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I think they give the overall break down by age range once per week but I do agree with you regarding the issue of reporting anyone with a positive test as a covid death.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Drove by Airside Retail Park in Swords this morning on the way to Lidl at about 8:30. Queues outside Woodies were not too bad, B&Q looked really busy. People standing waiting in the rain to get in. Why would you bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I suppose satellite dish installers are phase 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

vicwatson wrote: »
    I suppose satellite dish installers are phase 2?

Could do with one of those myself to tidy up a freesat/saorview installation for me that the first guy made a bit of a mess of.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Isnt the likes of car dealerships a little redundant in this phase seeing as anything outside 5k is unreachable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

amandstu wrote: »
    Surely not any distance.....only within reason.
    You couldn't get your groceries in Limerick if you lived in Cork

True. I know someone that lives in a small village and went to go to a major town 10km away to shop. The cops turned them back because their own village had a small supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Drove by Airside Retail Park in Swords this morning on the way to Lidl at about 8:30. Queues outside Woodies were not too bad, B&Q looked really busy. People standing waiting in the rain to get in. Why would you bother!

Probably to avoid the queues when the sun comes out ;)

Vicxas wrote: »
    Isnt the likes of car dealerships a little redundant in this phase seeing as anything outside 5k is unreachable?

5K is only for exercise.
    Buying a car could also be considered essential, depending on the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Folks, phase 1 of lockdown.

If you need to get work done to your car, does the garage need to be within 5km (I have work semi arranged pre covid with a garage but they are like 100km away); god knows when I'll be able to go based on the mileage restrictions.

Also, I attend a counsellor in Dublin (120km) away, I'm sick of doing the whatsapp video calls and he is back in the practice this week. Is that dare I say 'an exuse/exception' to go beyond the 5km limit.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Micky 32 wrote: »
    True. I know someone that lives in a small village and went to go to a major town 10km away to shop. The cops turned them back because their own village had a small supermarket.

I live beside an Aldi but usually do my shopping in Dunnes. I was stopped a few weeks ago and asked where I was from and why am I heading to Dunnes if there are shops beside me. I just said I have a Dunnes gift card and am using that for my shopping and it’s saving me money. She said grand and waived me on. Once you have a decent excuse they aren’t going to turn you around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

bs2014 wrote: »

If you need to get work done to your car, does the garage need to be within 5km (I have work semi arranged pre covid with a garage but they are like 100km away); god knows when I'll be able to go based on the mileage restrictions.

Also, I attend a counsellor in Dublin (120km) away, I'm sick of doing the whatsapp video calls and he is back in the practice this week. Is that dare I say 'an exuse/exception' to go beyond the 5km limit.

Thanks.

If it was me - I'd be driving to both!

I passed 5 council workers on a street corner that may as well have been in a scrum! And our local B&Q is jointed!
    What harm are you doing in your car heading to 2 essential appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »

Couldn't pay me to que outside a B&Q in the rain, you'd want your head checked!

I live beside an Aldi but usually do my shopping in Dunnes. I was stopped a few weeks ago and asked where I was from and why am I heading to Dunnes if there are shops beside me. I just said I have a Dunnes gift card and am using that for my shopping and it’s saving me money. She said grand and waived me on. Once you have a decent excuse they aren’t going to turn you around.

Guards definitely exceeding their authority in these situations. No guidance or rules issued have indicated that people are required to go to their nearest supermarket

On a side note, where are all these checkpoints? Have not seen one since this started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

Couldn't pay me to que outside a B&QUEUE!!!! in the rain, you'd want your head checked!

fixed that for ya!

Thats not 100% fair on me. I was pretty sure I had understood it right. I had read the text of the regulation/law. But when challenged on the spot by a guard what was I going to do?

I think this is where I failed. I dint think I was going to be challenged like that and had nothing prepared. So all I could come up with was that I wasn't prepared to go through my shopping list with the member and that I didnt think the law gave them that permission. That wasn't received well and eventually I was threatened with a report to DPP.

I was able to defuse the situation later but the member sounded dead serious.

didnt mean to be hard on you and apologies if I came across as that :)
    Yes the plan is to have your answers and excuses ready if you think you might meet a checkpoint! Otherwise its tough. I think its awful that you were threatened with a report to the DPP. You are better off saying you need to visit a vulnerable relative and bring them some shopping.

I'd say there should be less of these checkpoints at this stage anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Guards definitely exceeding their authority in these situations. No guidance or rules issued have indicated that people are required to go to their nearest supermarket

On a side note, where are all these checkpoints? Have not seen one since this started.

This was the weekend of May bank holiday. Have not seen one since.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Agree with you. I don't expect any issues. After all, if I was stopped the worst that can happen is I'm sent home - which is exactly where I am going. :)

I have seen a couple of cases where the cops have told people to turn around and they refused. They didn’t stop or arrest them but told them a file will be sent to the dpp.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thanks.
    The 5km limit only applies to travelling for leisure/exercise.

If you need to go to a mechanic, an optician, a hardware shop or a doctor, then the 5km limit doesn't apply.

This is how it will be until 10th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have seen a couple of cases where the cops have told people to turn around and they refused. They didn’t stop or arrest them but told them a file will be sent to the dpp.

Well if stopped I'll say I'm going into the office with letter to show both my employer and I are "essential"

I actually do kinda need to anyway soon as the laptop is acting up a bit and I can't fix without being on the physical network

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

seamus wrote: »
    The 5km limit only applies to travelling for leisure/exercise.

If you need to go to a mechanic, an optician, a hardware shop or a doctor, then the 5km limit doesn't apply.

This is how it will be until 10th August.

Thanks, is there somewhere official this has been confirmed tho as I cudnt find clarity?

Re shopping in Aldi or dunnes. I heard of ppl in villages say 10 mins outside our town been turned and told they dont need to go into town to Tesco or dunnes that a butcher's and centra is in their village. I thought was lousy tbh. Might be less stringent now. Like everything depends on the gaurd u get

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Big issues on certain dublin bus routes this morning..services full after a few stops and queues at stops in the city.

Walked past a few buses this morning that were full to their current capacity. 1 or 2 wearing masks and most drivers not. People making up their own minds as was expected
    Public transport is an issue regardless. This morning you've people waiting at bus stops heading to work and the buses cant stop because they're "full" with about 15 people on board. It all comes down to social distancing wont be possible on public transport and demand this morning proves it.

There is nowhere for all these people on packed buses, or watching packed buses drive by, to go to. Fair enough there'll be full buses with a max of 15 or so people on them, but I don't think it's a big issue throughout the city. Where are all the people looking to go to that they couldn't go to last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thanks, is there somewhere official this has been confirmed tho as I cudnt find clarity?

Re shopping in Aldi or dunnes. I heard of ppl in villages say 10 mins outside our town been turned and told they dont need to go into town to Tesco or dunnes that a butcher's and centra is in their village. I thought was lousy tbh. Might be less stringent now. Like everything depends on the gaurd u get

Yeah the Gardaí have been making it up as they go along there. Despite Leo explicitly clarifying that the rule applied to exercise and not to shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Noticeable traffic increase on road outside my house, lots of builders vans, very obvious return

I believe Harris wants to sign the mandatory 2 week isolation when entering the country this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I believe Harris wants to sign the mandatory 2 week isolation when entering the country this week.

For how long I wonder? They can’t keep the whole country here indefinitely surely?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement