Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I believe Harris wants to sign the mandatory 2 week isolation when entering the country this week.

But then he also wants to defeat the virus.

Simon wants many things, unfortunately not the ones feasible on planet earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

For how long I wonder? They can’t keep the whole country here indefinitely surely?

Well the Taioseachs hope was to get travel in the EU back to normal in months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bs2014 wrote: »
    Thanks, is there somewhere official this has been confirmed tho as I cudnt find clarity?
    It's the same rule that's been in place since the start tbh. Nothing has changed as regards the stay at home order; that is, only unnecessary travel is restricted to 5km. Necessary travel has no restrictions.
    Well the Taioseachs hope was to get travel in the EU back to normal in months.
    We're not going anywhere until the UK gets its sh1t together tbh.

So long as we have an open border with NI, and there's no mandatory quarantine between NI and GB, then our ability to reopen travel to the EU is entirely dependent on waiting for herd immunity to kick in across England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Guards definitely exceeding their authority in these situations. No guidance or rules issued have indicated that people are required to go to their nearest supermarket

On a side note, where are all these checkpoints? Have not seen one since this started.

Check points all over the shop in and around cork, have family in small town in Kerry...they darent go to the Aldi 15 miles up the road with checkpoints. Don't know what the story is today though.

I have seen a couple of cases where the cops have told people to turn around and they refused. They didn’t stop or arrest them but told them a file will be sent to the dpp.

Surely they would have to issue a caution? Sounds like they are just getting a bit thick, no doubt because they are being spun a lot of yarns be various people they stop

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    It's the same rule that's been in place since the start tbh. Nothing has changed as regards the stay at home order; that is, only unnecessary travel is restricted to 5km. Necessary travel has no restrictions.

I’m confident they will. There will be a quarantine coming from the UK , i’m sure i heard Leo mention that somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I’m confident they will. There will be a quarantine coming from the UK , i’m sure i heard Leo mention that somewhere.

Only in words. There'll be no proper enforcement of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

lalababa wrote: »
    Check points all over the shop in and around cork, have family in small town in Kerry...they darent go to the Aldi 15 miles up the road with checkpoints. Don't know what the story is today though.

This infuriates me. What kind of an ass of a country have we let it become? To allow this kind of unbridled rubbish go on as some kind of normality. Any Taoiseach with a spine would summons Drew Harris in immediately and tell his force to stop being such wasteful, obtuse nit picking idiots. End of converstion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I believe Harris wants to sign the mandatory 2 week isolation when entering the country this week.

I wonder could we go down the Hong Kong approach of testing people in the airport and giving them results before they leave. They have it down to an 8 hour turn around.

It might turn out to be the easiest solution, as trying to keep track of thousands of people in home quarantine isn't the easiest.

kenmc wrote: »
    Noticeable traffic increase on road outside my house, lots of builders vans, very obvious return

Delighted to hear it. There's a big hole in the dam now, and once that starts there's no going back. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are cafes open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

fryup wrote: »
    are cafes open?

I think for takeaway only. It might be a while before you see sit down cafes again. They aren't essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

I wonder could we go down the Hong Kong approach of testing people in the airport and giving them results before they leave. They have it down to an 8 hour turn around.

It might turn out to be the easiest solution, as trying to keep track of thousands of people in home quarantine isn't the easiest.

I have no problem with that. I have a serious question (and legal question in respect to EU freedoms) on a 14 day mandatory quarantine. Even a risk based and random screening is better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭growleaves

Charlie Chawke is going to have temperature checks in his pubs-turned-restuarants.

A certain amount of what's happening in Asia is theatre.
    Turns out spraying down the streets with disinfectant doesn't stop the spread of illness and is bad for public health.
    The disinfection processes for kids going to into schools doesn't work in any real way either, and exposes the children to a lot of chemicals.

We've seen from the start, that Asian countries are big on being seen to be doing something, whether it works or not.

The 8-hour turnaround in Hong Kong I have no doubt is at least some way effective, but its main goal is deterrence. To make it appear like the country is open, while discouraging anyone from coming unless they're willing to go through the process.

A proper isolate and test strategy would require two tests, a couple of days apart. Testing visitors once and then sending them into the country will miss anyone in the early stages of infection. To get 99%+ effectiveness, they would all need to be isolated for the mean incubation period (4/5 days?) and the retested before being sent on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Feels nice , the bit of a semblance of normality this morning. Two members of my family work in construction, some routine apparent again after 2.5 months. I think we will be fast tracked to phase 4 by the start of next week. The only thing there is valid reason for not allowing right now really is perhaps festivals and large gatherings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

But then he also wants to defeat the virus.

Simon wants many things, unfortunately not the ones feasible on planet earth.

He seems to think he is that character in Die Hard - Simon says.

He sent a tweet into Brendan O’Connor doubling down that curtains are not essential. If they are not essential why the hell does everyone in the country have them. The sniggering on Friday was disgraceful.

I think for takeaway only. It might be a while before you see sit down cafes again. They aren't essential.

Yes but the jobs and economic activity most certainly are. Every job is essntial.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wakka12 wrote: »
    Feels nice , the bit of a semblance of normality this morning. Two members of my family work in construction, some routine apparent again after 2.5 months. I think we will be fast tracked to phase 4 by the start of next week. The only thing there is valid reason for not allowing right now really is perhaps festivals and large gatherings

I think you are living in a dreamworld if you think we'll get to phase four by the start of next week tbh

I doubt anything will change now before June 8

I have no problem with that. I have a serious question (and legal question in respect to EU freedoms) on a 14 day mandatory quarantine. Even a risk based and random screening is better than this.

You are right in your doubts, the 14 day quarantine which is supposedly soon to be imposed by Harris & Co doesnt have any reasonable grounds (you cant assume every arrival in Dublin airport has covid)

I would be very surprised if any such "law" is signed as it would be very easy to overturn it in courts, making Harris look like a fool.

• Advertisement

He sent a tweet into Brendan O’Connor doubling down that curtains are not essential. If they are not essential why the hell does everyone in the country have them. The sniggering on Friday was disgraceful.

I vote FG. But jesus Harris is an embaressing detached from reality moralising fruit loop.

Or even opt for a normal test with the usual 2/3 day results, better than 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Nah can't see that happening

Holohan is still uber cautious so there will be very little deviating from the plan

Not just disgraceful but shameful too. I felt very embarrassed that those 4 people had such big say in whether businesses can operate or not in our country.

Humphreys started to blab on about "order online from Irish businesses" she clearly hasnt ordered from them in a while - delivery is usually exceptionally poor/non existent so is customer service.

PS "curtains are not essential" the homeware stores tend to sell a lot of furniture, you know BEDS and stuff. I am sure that sleeping on a bed is essential. A lot of question marks over their carry on

Stheno wrote: »
    I think you are living in a dreamworld if you think we'll get to phase four by the start of next week tbh

I know the government will resist but I seriously cannot imagine the majority happily sitting at home for almost another month waiting for another tiny shift of changes while almost no new cases are announnced each day by then

Stheno wrote: »

Agreed. If anything has been consistent with Fine Gael, is that they are as a matter of policy cautious and risk averse. They will almost certainly wait until 8th June before they make any more major changes. However, at that stage I do expect a few things to be brought forward based on the experience of other countries, such as reopening creches for limited numbers, allowing all sports without spectators and allowing cafés and restaurants to reopen under strict guidelines that will be slowly relaxed over time.

At that point, assuming the numbers are all solid, they will potentially make phase 2 & 3, two-week periods before moving to phase 4 in early July.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wakka12 wrote: »
    I know the government will resist but I seriously cannot imagine the majority happily sitting at home for almost another month waiting for another tiny shift of changes while almost no new cases are announnced each day by then

They will wait until at least today fortnight to see if there is an increase in cases.

So by that rationale it will still be June 5 before any further restrictions are lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

seamus wrote: »

So long as we have an open border with NI, and there's no mandatory quarantine between NI and GB, then our ability to reopen travel to the EU is entirely dependent on waiting for herd immunity to kick in across England.

The UK had over 3,500 new cases yesterday.

Going back to the usual travel patterns between us and GB would represent an enormous risk to the country.

I have said it many times the biggest risk to this country getting out of this quicker is the UK.

And they ask us not to quarantine their citizens? I'd say that's a hell of an easier request for them to make!

We should quarantine the sh!t out of them - 4 weeks min :pac:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52701524

What can happen if things are relaxed too much.

• Advertisement

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52701524

What can happen if things are relaxed too much.

Yes but that is in a very densely populated country, I would imagine many of the people living in slums are also in poorer health than most Irish people. Ireland will probably turn out like Sweden ; deaths increasing a lot but not to as unmanageable levels as what Brazil and New York and other densely populated areas experienced

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement